search

Author Topic: Door County Brewing  (Read 1777 times)

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
Door County Brewing
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »
DOOR COUNTY BREWING COMPANY

• Twitter @DoCoBrewingCo

Tell us your brief history
We are family owned and operated. John McMahon runs the business and distribution side of things; one son, Danny, is the head brewer; another son, Ben, is the tap room and music manager; and wife Angie handles general manager duties. We opened our tap room in May 2014.

Which beers do you sell in retail locations?

• Polka King Porter: English brown porter, dark and roasty with a hint of chocolate.

• Little Sister Witbier: Belgian style witbier brewed with orange peal, coriander, and a blend of other unique spices.

• Bare Bottom Madness: Our oatmeal pale ale.

• Pastoral: Belgian style saison, dry, earthy, with notes of citrus and black pepper.

• Biere de Seigle: Rustic American approach to a classic Belgian farmhouse ale with two types of rye.

• Big Sister: (summer seasonal) Belgian style witbier brewed with hibiscus.

• L’Automne: First beer in a new line of seasonal farmhouse style ales. This one is a dark and malty French style Biere de Garde. Comes out Sept. 1.

Make a recommendation

Out of our year-round beers I tend to go toward Pastoral the most. Saisons are very drinkable when done right and can pair with almost any type of food. I also enjoy Big Sister, our summer witbier brewed with hibiscus. It’s got some juicy and tart notes that go well with warm summer weather.

Make another recommendation

Whatever sour beer New Glarus has out, but lately I’ve been drinking a lot of Badger State’s Green Chop and Stillmank’s Super Kind. Also, Central Waters’ Satin Solitude Imperial.

What’s new?

We are in the process of finalizing plans for a 15,000 sq.ft. expansion in Baileys Harbor to open in January 2017.

What’s your secret?

We typically come up with our new saison and farmhouse ales based on what ingredients are available at the time. We release a new beer at our tap room almost every week or two. We will be introducing a handful of new seasonal beers starting this fall that will rotate every few months or so. We are inspired by our surroundings and the Belgian influences found in Door County and that gives us the basis for our recipes.

What’s in a name?

Many of our beer names are based on local Door County icons and locations. Many of them are references that are only clear to those that have lived in Door County for a long time. We love making connections to our area without being too obvious. My favorite name and story would be Polka King named after Freddie Kodanko who drove a tractor and would always play polka music at the AC Tap in Baileys Harbor. He was known around here as the Polka King. The red tractor on the label was Freddie’s ride to the AC Tap. He also worked in our building when it was a feed mill.

Commercial comparison

Our witbiers are the same style as Blue Moon, despite tasting quite different. Anchor Porter was one beer that we definitely modeled Polka King after, and Pastoral came to be after I had drank a ton of other commercially available saison, but more specifically, after drinking a lot of Saison Dupont from Belgium.

Daniel Higgins writes about food and drink for Gannett Wisconsin Media, dphiggin@gannett.com, Twitter and Instagram @HigginsEats, facebook.com/gwmdanhiggins
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
Re: Door County Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »
Stopped there on Sunday after fishing.
Really cool atmosphere; lots of wood and metal.
Had a Bearded Giant DIPA, which was good but not great.

I do hope the Silurian doesn't change too much, but it could be improved.     :shrug:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »
I do hope the Silurian doesn't change too much, but it could be improved.     :shrug:

it could be. i like it as a nice standard right now.  just hope it doesn't get worse.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »

it could be. i like it as a nice standard right now.  just hope it doesn't get worse.
Struggled to finish a 6 pack... wasn't bad but I agree that it could definitely be better.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »
BAILEYS HARBOR - When the new Door County Brewing taproom opens Saturday it will look like the "C" team built it. Mismatched wood on the walls. Rough-hewn beams above. Rusty corrugated steel panels flank a brick wall. Mortar hardened in a state of oozing from in between bricks. Head brewer Danny McMahon is pleased with the style.

"We want the inside to look like it's been here forever," McMahon says. "Everything is rough; we're really shooting for it looking like it's worn."

Whether you're heading to Baileys Harbor for the Fourth of July celebration or you're taking your Door County holiday later this summer or thereafter, here's a 12-pack of things to know about the new taproom.

YOU CAN'T MISS IT

Located at 8099 State 57, it will be difficult to miss the soaring roof line and giant porch that begs for sitting a spell while sipping a farmhouse ale.

PARK OUT BACK

There's loads more parking. Just pull around back. From State 57, turn onto Door County F, then onto School Lane (not School Street).

GET IN AND OUT

Double doors welcome guests from the front, and two single doors, which are handicap accessible and flank a floor-to-ceiling fireplace, are located along the side of the building. This effectively doubles the traffic flow, which is good because the space inside has about double the seats and nearly triple the taps of the original location.

Visually, the centerpiece of the room is what appears to be an unfinished brick wall. Adding to the been-here-forever design are gobs of mortar protruding from between the bricks. Lean in for a closer look and you'll find surnames, ducks and other designs carved into the bricks, which McMahon says they bought from "some guy" in Jacksonport who had thousands of these bricks. Of course, you may notice the bricks with their mortar beards because they surround the taps flowing with beer crafted by a bearded brewer and his team.

Keeping lines from reaching the door, a regular occurrence during Door County's busy season at the original taproom, and improving flow were top of mind for this taproom. Nearly tripling the beer taps is good start. The plan here calls for mirrored sets of 13 Door County Brewing beers, from the well-known Polka King Porter and Little Sister Witbier to the latest experimental taproom exclusive ale.

2 MORE TAPS

Root beer from Appleton-based Stone Arch Brew House and another non-alcoholic drink round out the tap selection.

STRIKE UP THE BANDS

Yup, there's a stage inside.

BEER GARDEN HERE

Build a taproom that can harbor the swell of summer tourists and come winter you'll have enough room to start an indoor cherry orchard. Not exactly an intimate setting for those who prefer a more chill, off-peak season Door County experience. The solution? An outdoor spot for 200(ish) beer drinkers. You know, a beer garden. Complete with beer hall style tables and a row of small shrubberies for effect. Plus, it's a scientific fact that beer tastes better when consumed outside. (OK, it's not really a fact, just more of a personal preference.)

FOOD TRUCK HERE

When beer garden season is in full swing, the Chives food truck staff will be onsite to sling their oh, so, local Door County fare. It will be onsite seven days a week through summer, then limited engagements during weekends and special events the rest of the year.

PAAAARTY

Music on tap to get the new taproom fun flowing comes from New Primitives, 7 p.m. Saturday, Katie Dahl, 1 p.m. Sunday, and Mama Digdown's Brass Band after the Fourth of July parade through the streets of Baileys Harbor. I already mentioned more taps equals more exclusive beers, right?

CLOSED, BUT OPEN

If you head to the original taproom on Saturday, or thereafter, you will find it closed. Beer will still be brewed in the basement until a 15-barrel brewhouse arrives at the new location this fall, but the taproom will be accessible through private party rentals.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
:tldr: :pics:

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »
Stopped here on the way home from hiking today.  They've added a smoker and a small food shack in the beer garden that sells a few BBQ items.  Had the "BBQ nachos" which was kettle chips topped with mac & cheese, baked beans, diced onions, and shredded beef.  Tasty.

Also, the new Dark Skies black lager is delicious.  Wonder if cans will make it to the stores in GB.  Sadly, I was a day early for their new Festbier.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:15:41 PM by flyingbison »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 05:10:23 PM »
Stopped here on the way home from hiking today.  They've added a smoker and a small food shack in the beer garden that sells a few BB items.  Had the "BBQ nachos" which was kettle chips topped with mac & cheese, baked beans, diced onions, and shredded beef.  Tasty.

Also, the new Dark Skies black lager is delicious.  Wonder if cans will make it to the stores in GB.  Sadly, I was a day early for their new Festbier.

Sounds tasty  :banned::cheers:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »
Wonder if cans will make it to the stores in GB.  Sadly, I was a day early for their new Festbier.

saw cans of This Is Not A Sandwich a couple months ago.. and not since.