search

Author Topic: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-blog.  (Read 52308 times)

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
I just planted 4 cascade about 3 weeks ago.  One of them has 2 shoots almost a foot.  The others are pretty small.  Im not expecting much this season.

Squid:  Have you considered selling dried hops?  Or some rhizomes?

cheers
Ok, what the hell am I doing wrong? I planted mine (Centennial) about a month ago and one shoot is 6-8 inches and the other barely 3 inches with a third barely breaking the ground.

Im not much of an expert on this, but they are getting the same amount of water and sun light?
I don't measure sunlight by the gallon so I couldn't say.      ;)

I will say it is in a pot with potting soil. Because of that I'm thinking, even though it is getting quite a bit, I'm going to move it into more sun.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Oxymoron

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA

<_<

I will say it is in a pot with potting soil. Because of that I'm thinking, even though it is getting quite a bit, I'm going to move it into more sun.

the more sun/water the better

Offline d00d

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead

<_<

Fertilizer too.  Lots of it.  I've heard manure works really well.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

<_<

I'm out there squatting every morning and the only thing growing are the dirty looks from the neighbors.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale

<_<

I'm out there squatting every morning and the only thing growing are the dirty looks from the neighbors.

Any of you guys needs some manure just come see me...

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Homerbag

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
    • Some of the best Bengal Cats in the world
I put mine in the gound about 2 weeks ago and they haven't done shit. I put them on some shit and potting soil covered them in mulch and water them with a drip system at 3 1/2 gallons an hour for a few hours on days it does not rain. I may be a little impatient though.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

<_<

Any of you guys needs some manure just come see me...
I hear you're full of it.

Offline JAA

• Macro
I just planted 4 cascade about 3 weeks ago.  One of them has 2 shoots almost a foot.  The others are pretty small.  Im not expecting much this season.

Squid:  Have you considered selling dried hops?  Or some rhizomes?

cheers
Ok, what the hell am I doing wrong? I planted mine (Centennial) about a month ago and one shoot is 6-8 inches and the other barely 3 inches with a third barely breaking the ground.
full sun?  getting enough water?  proper drainaige?

How did you buy them, horizonal or vertical?  How deep?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
full sun?
Yes
getting enough water?
I believe so
proper drainaige?
Yes
How did you buy them
Homebrew store. Wrapped in a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag. Looked very healthy and was already growing shoots 3-4 inches in the bag
horizonal or vertical?
Horizontal
How deep?
That's what she said.

Three inches

Offline JAA

• Macro
Yes
getting enough water?
I believe so
proper drainaige?
Yes
How did you buy them
Homebrew store. Wrapped in a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag. Looked very healthy and was already growing shoots 3-4 inches in the bag
horizonal or vertical?
Horizontal
How deep?
That's what she said.

Three inches
I was told 1 inch.  Might be it ...

Offline culdeus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
I put mine in the gound about 2 weeks ago and they haven't done shit. I put them on some shit and potting soil covered them in mulch and water them with a drip system at 3 1/2 gallons an hour for a few hours on days it does not rain. I may be a little impatient though.

You probably won't see anything big till the following year.

Mine are doing ok. Not getting much taller, but filling out some. 

Culdeus - 298
Gator - 284

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull

You probably won't see anything big till the following year.

Mine are doing ok. Not getting much taller, but filling out some. 

I just wish I knew that they were doing something. I guess it has only been about 12 days looking at the calendar now. hmmm. . time doesn't fly I guess.

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari
i seem to remember ours taking a while to pop up, and then they definitely didn't grow much that first season. i think most of the energy is going into taking root. the next season they were up nice and early, and achieved modest growth, and by the 3rd they were monsters. i wouldn't expect glorious things from them this year. i'd keep doing what you're doing and mainly be concerned that they come up at all (but we had some that didn't come up the first and did the second, so eh--what do i know?).

also, ours are fairly maintenance free. they aren't a fussy plant that seems to care so much about the soil and time of sun (morning, afternoon). they get sun, but not a whole day (mostly mid-day, half a day's worth if they are lucky due to the big trees and proximity of neighbor's house). if it hasn't rained in a while, we water. but otherwise, the attention we give them is to direct the vines every couple of days, and later to pick the cones. i'm sure if we did more, we'd get more, but i don't think we could handle an "optimum" output considering what they give now! they are hardy as all get out. i know our friend who gave us the cutting says the same thing. they grow despite everything almost. so i think once they've made a hold on the spot you planted them in, you all should be golden for the next year.
"I think my meat is bad." - Urbanhack

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
Finally, with the warm weather I am getting sprouts on about half of my hop mounds. The rhizomes that sat in the fridge longer still have me worried, they are not showing any above ground growth yet.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
Update?  :pics:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
Mine are coming up nicely.  thanks again squid and serverstad!

i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline culdeus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
5 straight days of 100 degree weather hops = strugggggggggggggggggllllllllllinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg

Culdeus - 298
Gator - 284

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
My cascades are doing very well 5 of the 6 have good growth. One of my two goldings are growing, the other is a dud. Out of the 6 nuggets I've planted, one is growing likes it's on steroids. Two have sprouted and the othere three seem to be duds. . Oh well

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
My cascade finally broke through!  Hopefully next year I'll be able to harvest some.

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
I'm getting cones on the Centennial I planted this spring!!!! :excited:

The Willamette hasn't even broke the ground.
Severstad> I gave it a good home :sadbanana:

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
I'm getting cones on the Centennial I planted this spring!!!! :excited:

The Willamette hasn't even broke the ground.
Severstad> I gave it a good home :sadbanana:
I was at my buddy's house last night for a tasting and his Centennial hop vines are going crazy! 

They look beautiful. :wub:

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
Thanks to severstad and squid, I'm growning a starter crop of hops on the deck.   :thumbup:

i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Thanks to , I'm growning a starter crop of hops on the deck.   :thumbup:
I received a seversquid rhizome as well. Unfortuantely I'm hoping for something next year. Just a big pot of dirt with a stick in it. :shrug:

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
I received a seversquid rhizome as well. Unfortuantely I'm hoping for something next year. Just a big pot of dirt with a stick in it. :shrug:

Did you give it the special love?

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
My cascades seem to be growing feet by the day. The golding that sprouted is doing good. Still only have one nugget out of six that have broke ground, but it is climbing nicely. Hoping next year will be a good harvest.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Did you give it the special love?
Of course :joystick:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
I noticed a Japanese Beetle in my garden yesterday >:( Luckily no signs of damage yet. I'll have to get out the soap water later.

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
Wow...mine have done really well this year.   Not bad for their first year, eh?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
nice! I should take some pics of mine.

Offline Kegergator

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Geuze
  • Your mom does
Re: Growing my own hops this year. Experiences? I'll update this like a semi-b
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »

Whoa...nice

What style are they?
***2020 Zoom Candyland Champion***

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches

Whoa...nice

What style are they?

I think one of them is cascade.  I forgot the other one.  :bag:

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari

Whoa...nice

What style are they?

I think one of them is cascade.  I forgot the other one.  :bag:

the SeverSquid hops are Willamette

Offline fRed Scare

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
Updates/tips/filthy remarks?
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
They usually break ground around April, right?

Offline fRed Scare

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord

I guess I was looking for updates on how last season went for everyone.
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

And I'm asking when they break ground mother####er!!!!

;)
Mine did a lot better than I expected. I planted a Centennial rhizome in a large pot in March and it probably ended up around 10-12 feet by fall. I had quite a few grown hops but not really enough to harvest for brewing. I used them mostly for wet hopping beers I drank. Especially in the Mild I brewed last year :wub:

I also had a Willamette from the Seversquids. Not as much luck with that guy. I'm crossing my fingers hoping this year I get somethign but last year there wasn't a single sprout popping up all year.

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari

;)
Mine did a lot better than I expected. I planted a Centennial rhizome in a large pot in March and it probably ended up around 10-12 feet by fall. I had quite a few grown hops but not really enough to harvest for brewing. I used them mostly for wet hopping beers I drank. Especially in the Mild I brewed last year :wub:

I also had a Willamette from the Seversquids. Not as much luck with that guy. I'm crossing my fingers hoping this year I get somethign but last year there wasn't a single sprout popping up all year.

well, we do have a ton more rhizomes where that one came from  :rolleyes:

no need even talking about how ours are doing. it's its own entity now.  :mellow:

Offline fRed Scare

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord

no need even talking about how ours are doing. it's its own entity now.  :mellow:

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale

;)

well, we do have a ton more rhizomes where that one came from  :rolleyes:

Do you guys do mail order?

My cascade I planted last year really late in the season last year didn't do anything, so we'll see how it does this year.  We're settled in enough this year finally that the wife is going to do a garden, so I am planning on doing hops around one edge of it.  Need to decide which rhizomes I want to get...

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
I'd be interested in a rhizome as well if y'all were able to send them out. I could plant them at my parent's house.

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
I'd be interested in a rhizome as well if y'all were able to send them out. I could plant them at my parent's house.
:goodposting:
Which hops, if any, do better in this area?  I plan on planting a couple varieties this year.

Offline Squid

• Double IPA
  • Calamari
in my capacity as severstad's secretary  :rolleyes:, i am instructed to inform those who are interested in receiving a rhizome from our nearly-sentient willamette hops organism to send a beermail directly to mr. severstad, who will reply to said inquiries personally in that medium.

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
Any good online tutorials or papers you guys recommend for starting a small hop garden?  :popcorn:

Getting excited about growing in the backyard.

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
Any good online tutorials or papers you guys recommend for starting a small hop garden?  :popcorn:

Getting excited about growing in the backyard.

Freshhops.com has good advice. The Homebrewers Garden is a good book. Squid is a semi-pro gardener.

Offline fRed Scare

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
Six cuttings from Seversquid's hops plant are now in the ground.  Several already had shoots coming out, so they got in just in time.

Let's see if they take over the neighborhood :excited:

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
I just picked up a buddy's Mt. Hood plant - all sorts of roots from this sucker.  I am going to go plant it before it rains today.  I think I am going to see about splitting them up somehow, if I can do it without destroying it.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Hops are budding!!!!!
:pickle:

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
Got 2-cascade and 2-willamette rhizomes that I'm going to start in a container and transplant once I get the trellis finished.
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
I just picked up a buddy's Mt. Hood plant - all sorts of roots from this sucker.  I am going to go plant it before it rains today.  I think I am going to see about splitting them up somehow, if I can do it without destroying it.

It was raining when I planted it - I pretty much just tossed it in some dirt.  Took about 3 minutes total.  :bag:

Offline Pols

• Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face
how cold does it have to get before it kills off the plant in the winter?