search

Author Topic: Roma (in May)  (Read 1003 times)

Offline flyingtaco

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
    • Blog of the Flying Taco
Roma (in May)
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
OK, Rome doesn't sound like it would be a huge beer paradise, but in a city of that size there must still be at least a few good haunts. Only in town a couple of days; one of our firm leaders is getting married in Tuscany so we're flying into Rome early and bumming around before heading up for the wedding.

So far I came across this place which sounds interesting for the name alone :rockzo:. Anyone find any fine establishments over there? :coffee: :cheers:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: Roma (in May)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:06:48 PM »
I don't know much of anything about beer there, but I have been to Rome, Florence, Naples, Sorrento, Capri, Pompeii, etc.  Let me know if you are looking for opinions on any of the tourist type stuff.

Offline flyingtaco

• Quadrupel
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »
I don't know much of anything about beer there, but I have been to Rome, Florence, Naples, Sorrento, Capri, Pompeii, etc.  Let me know if you are looking for opinions on any of the tourist type stuff.
Cool - thanks Tip. Just curious - how efficient is public transport in Rome? From what I can see the Metro has the 2 lines that run pretty much in an X into the city, and there are the 7-8 FM lines (look like commuter rail-type trains) that run around each 15-30 minutes close to the city limits. After that, I'm pretty well useless so far and have no idea if transit is crowded, late, unreliable or actually runs smoothly. I'd rather not drive around the city if I don't have to.

It sounds like when we get to Tuscany there will be time for a quick trip to Florence as well, which I've heard is a great city for its size. As always, any dirt is helpful. I suspect there will be a shitload of wine consumed during this trip. :cheers:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »
We never bothered with public transportation.  Walked pretty much everywhere.  You never know what interesting thing you might walk by there.  Cabs are all over and we took those when we didn't walk.  There is no way  I would drive with the way people drive there.

Most everything in Rome is touristy.  Best bet for restaurants is to ask a local.  We asked tour guides, etc.

What other cities in Italy are you going to?

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »
Rome pretty much sucks on a lot of fronts if you're thinking it's going to be rustic and "Roman".  I spent a week there in 2007 and the beer scene was so-so, so I stuck to really good Italian wines.  If you're looking for beer though you can check out the Bir & Fud Pizzeria: http://birefud.blogspot.com/2007/09/bir-fud-la-pizzeria.html.  Lots of local stuff and imported stuff (you'll pay for it), but great pizza as well.  Not that you want American beer while there, but from their site the American beers they have are  Great Divide. Left Hand Porter. Flying Dog. Samuel Adams. Anchor. Sierra Nevada. Rogue. Jolly Pumpkins.  Of course you'll be looking to drink all of the Panil you can  :pickle: :pickle:

EVERYTHING in that city is touristy.  Hell, even the Pantheon is a stones throw from a few fast food joints and gelato stands.  The public transpo is ok, but it's incredibly sketchy.  The Rome metro is two lines that form an X and it will get you about everywhere you need to go, but like TT said walking the city is the way to go (except at night).  The commuter lines will take you all the way out to the coast if you want them to.  I didn't bother with buses there.    Check out the Palatium wine bar in Rome, as it's pretty much the go to spot for Lazio (the wine region of Rome) wines, and the food isn't bad.

I cannot stress this enough: GO TO FLORENCE.  The city is abso####inglutely beautiful, the surroundings are beautiful, and the food is incredible.  It's a smaller city, architecturally amazing, and really easy to navigate.  From there you can also take a quick day trip out to Pisa.  I would live in Florence for life if I could.

Edit: Just looked at Brasserie 4:20's page... looks like they have a pretty cool selection on tap and in bottles, but the bottle prices of those "Vintage Lambik" beers are crazy!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:02:14 PM by Javit »
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
I agree with Javit on Florence.  My favorite of the "tourist" cities.  Huge fan of Sorrento, which isn't as touristy as the rest of them (tons of Lemoncello there too).

Offline flyingtaco

• Quadrupel
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 10:59:42 AM »
We are definitely going to try to hit Florence for a day trip - probably Saturday. We've heard way too much good stuff about it not to give it a go. All told it'll probably end up being 2 days in Rome + 1 night on the back end of the trip, hopefully a day in Florence and then a day or so on the estate where the wedding's taking place. Who knows...if we get sick of Rome on Wednesday maybe we can leave a day early for Florence. Probably not a lot of room to squeeze in much else, unfortunately. It does smell like several days of wine and Panil, absolutely.

Offline flyingtaco

• Quadrupel
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »
Just got here yesterday. 4:20 was legit.

Indeed...walking and cabs look like the way to go.

:cheers: