search

Author Topic: Best "off the shelf" cellarables  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Sebowski

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
Best "off the shelf" cellarables
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
My cabinets started to buckle last month from the amount of beer I had stuffed in them:

Then we started to get a heatwave, so I went out and rented some cellar space. Now I have more room to cellar beer. My local bottle shops are all sold out of 1982 Cantillons, so I'm wondering what some good affordable easy to get stuff ages really well. I'm going to start with some Old Guardians and a lot of AleSmith stuff (Wee Heavy, Speedway, Numbskull, Grand Cru), probably a couple of all the local barely wines.

Anyone have any easy to get favorites that really start kicking ass with a few years under their belt?
Home is where the Nelson is.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Re: Best "off the shelf" cellarables
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »
My cabinets started to buckle last month from the amount of beer I had stuffed in them:

wow :lol:  this is awesome

what books are those? :coffee:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
Like you said, all the 750ML Alesmith stuff (not Horny Devil though) ages extremely well. I drank an 07 Wee Heavy a month or two ago and it was divine and the Grand Cru gets raisin-y with a few years on it.

Lost Abbey Judgment Day smooths out and gets more balanced, too.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »

wow :lol:  this is awesome

what books are those? :coffee:

It was crazy. I was actually out of town. GF emailed me the pics in the morning. Those Peligrino juice cans (great mixers) on top of the fridge were holding the whole thing up by themselves until she build those book stacks. She tried to say thats what happens when we have too much beer. I let here know that if those cabinets weren't full of beer the juice would have been in them and therefore wouldn't have saved them from falling.

The books are mainly textbooks. GF is a teacher/student.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
Like you said, all the 750ML Alesmith stuff (not Horny Devil though) ages extremely well. I drank an 07 Wee Heavy a month or two ago and it was divine and the Grand Cru gets raisin-y with a few years on it.

Didn't really think about Lost Abbey. Maybe some Older Vis or relgualr Old Vis? Serpent's age well? I've heard some people tell me to drink LA sours fresh, while opthers ahve said age. Any thoughts on those? Framboise, Cuvee, Poppy...

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »

Then we started to get a heatwave, so I went out and rented some cellar space. Now I have more room to cellar beer. My local bottle shops are all sold out of 1982 Cantillons, so I'm wondering what some good affordable easy to get stuff ages really well. I'm going to start with some Old Guardians and a lot of AleSmith stuff (Wee Heavy, Speedway, Numbskull, Grand Cru), probably a couple of all the local barely wines.

Anyone have any easy to get favorites that really start kicking ass with a few years under their belt?

:lol: :lol: Come here and I'll be happy to open the two left!
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »

Didn't really think about Lost Abbey. Maybe some Older Vis or relgualr Old Vis? Serpent's age well? I've heard some people tell me to drink LA sours fresh, while opthers ahve said age. Any thoughts on those? Framboise, Cuvee, Poppy...
Old Viscosity is great aged, Serpents does well too.

Personally, I prefer just about any American Sour fresh compared to aged. I like when the sourness is sharper, as it is when aged, as opposed to rounder and more soft.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »

I may take you up on that. I promised my GF a trip to Missoula to see a friend of hers when she had to skip a wedding last year.

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »

I may take you up on that. I promised my GF a trip to Missoula to see a friend of hers when she had to skip a wedding last year.

Just let me know.  The Gueuze really needs to be opened ASAP.  :pickle:
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
North Coast Old Stock
Hair of the Dog Fred and Adam if you can get them.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
North Coast Old Stock
Hair of the Dog Fred and Adam if you can get them.

Agree on both of these. I've also had good experience with Stone RIS and Smoked Porter. For the West Coasters, the Alaskan Smoked Porter was outstanding with a couple years in the cellar.

I've also had very good experiences with cellaring most of Founders special releases like Breakfast Stout and others. Granted, B'fast Stout is a totally different beer when the coffee fades a bit, but it's still great and worth the time.

I've cellared some SN Celebration before with good results. But let's be honest, that's a beer that HAS TO be had fresh to truly appreciate it.

Bell's Expedition Stout is another good one that's somewhat easy to find when it's released. Had a few of those that we cellared and were great.

I also think Furley has had experience with cellaring Three Floyds Dreadnaught.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:12:03 PM by Nucular George »
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 07:39:19 PM »
I just found an Exponential Hoppiness from 2 releases ago in my fridge.  :bag:
Might as well store that for a few years now. Unless Furley wants it.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
I just found an Exponential Hoppiness from 2 releases ago in my fridge.  :bag:
Might as well store that for a few years now. Unless Furley wants it.

i'm your huckleberry
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.