search

Author Topic: 1982 Cantillons  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
1982 Cantillons
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:02:16 AM »
Some of you saw that I got a set of 1982 Cantillons an '88/89 Brabantiae in the mail this weekend.  Two of the '82's were leaky, so I have to drink them sooner rather than later.  Here's the first installment with pictures and a review, the Kriek:

This bottle came to me from someone in Belgium who just happened to have some in the cellar. Unfortunately, the cork was leaky in transit causing the fill to drop probably a good 4 ounces. Poured about 36 hours after arrival at my door. The cork was a bit on the ancient side and decided to take a dive into the bottle after half of it crumbled on its way out, not even the ah-so could save it. No worries though as I was able to pour it out with a strainer.

Poured out a lovely deep tawny color with deep garnet hues against the light. No carbonation left, which I suspect is the product of being transported and leaking; the Framboise still has ample carbonation. The nose on this is reminiscent of other beers of this age with some oxidation playing its part... wet leather, tobacco, and some basement must but with an added twist: the distinct and faint smell of cherries giving off a tart aroma that these fruit lambics are known for. I am genuinely surprised at how the fruit has hung in there.

This aged lambic takes some getting used to on the taste front. It's totally flat, but not in a completely detrimental way. It's fairly thin bodied but the sour and funk still remain and even though the cherries are muted amongst the stronger "aged" flavors, they are still present. As this bottle opens up in the glass it becomes more and more like a truly fresh kriek beer. The cherries start to exert themselves a little more and the sour comes on in a big way. I left about 2.5 inches of liquid sludge in the bottom of the bottle with the cork, but this was a truly remarkable beer for having been aged so long. Not the oldest beer I've had by a long shot, but still one of the truly great aged beers to have had the pleasure of tasting. Consumed 08/07/2011
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
Re: 1982 Cantillons
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:32:47 AM »
Awesome. 

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the others...

If you could do it over again, what steps would you have taken to ensure no leakage in transport?
Wanna suck it?

ISO: Coitus Beard Chicken Milk Porter

Offline deepsouth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »
thanks for posting.
[]P [] []\/[] []P

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:10:01 AM »
Awesome. 

If you could do it over again, what steps would you have taken to ensure no leakage in transport?

Honestly, I don't think there's much that could be done besides waxing them over totally.  They're old and old corks tend to leak.  My King's Ale leaked too.  I think it's just hit or miss because they were stored horizontally in a cellar for their entire lives too.

I'll be opening the gueuze up here within the next week or so.  The Framboise and the Brabantiae I'm not sure when yet.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:20:40 AM »
Awesome. 

Honestly, I don't think there's much that could be done besides waxing them over totally.  They're old and old corks tend to leak.  My King's Ale leaked too.  I think it's just hit or miss because they were stored horizontally in a cellar for their entire lives too.

I'll be opening the gueuze up here within the next week or so.  The Framboise and the Brabantiae I'm not sure when yet.

Waxing combined with upright shipping were the only things I could think of as well (they were shipped upright, correct?).

Cork deterioration/crumbling happens either horizontally or upright.  Waxing would be the only way I can see to insure some kind of cork preservation...

Definitely post more reviews when you open the remaining bottles - I know I enjoy reading them!
Wanna suck it?

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
Awesome. 

Waxing combined with upright shipping were the only things I could think of as well (they were shipped upright, correct?).

Cork deterioration/crumbling happens either horizontally or upright.  Waxing would be the only way I can see to insure some kind of cork preservation...

Definitely post more reviews when you open the remaining bottles - I know I enjoy reading them!

They were upright in the box, sure, but who knows which way they fall and how many times do it in transit.  There is a video out there somewhere of a group that put sensors in boxes for all three major shipping companies (UPS/FedEx/USPS) that tracked the boxes physical movements (turns, jostles, rotations, etc) throughout the shipment.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
Awesome. 

They were upright in the box, sure, but who knows which way they fall and how many times do it in transit.  There is a video out there somewhere of a group that put sensors in boxes for all three major shipping companies (UPS/FedEx/USPS) that tracked the boxes physical movements (turns, jostles, rotations, etc) throughout the shipment.

I'll have to google that.

I would think upright vs. prone for shipping would just have to be better in the long run...
Wanna suck it?

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »
Very cool.  :thumbup: