search

Author Topic: Bell's Brewing  (Read 6031 times)

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Re: Bell's Brewing
« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2011, 01:32:14 PM »
Some of this almost seems like a direct to response to how Founders is adding new markets while not satisfying their existing markets.
First thought thatcame to my mind as well...

I really wish people made a bigger deal about this.  I feel like the only one bitching.

I have always found therebeer to be average at best so it doesn't bother me :shrug:

I'll put a Russian River sticker on it so you love it.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »
Some of this almost seems like a direct to response to how Founders is adding new markets while not satisfying their existing markets.

I really wish people made a bigger deal about this.  I feel like the only one bitching.

I have always found therebeer to be average at best so it doesn't bother me :shrug:

:lol:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »

:lol:
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »

I don't see what the deal is.  I get Founders in Virginia and if they are sold out of a seasonal, then who cares?
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »

I don't see what the deal is.  I get Founders in Virginia and if they are sold out of a seasonal, then who cares?

They're sold out of everything.  They're growing into new markets while they can't keep their existing markets saturated.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2011, 02:50:45 PM »

They're sold out of everything.  They're growing into new markets while they can't keep their existing markets saturated.

It is a little bit frustrating.  Last year I got all the harvest ale I wanted.  This year there was like a 2 day window when it could be had at retail.

Some of that, I admit, is the distributors around here sucking whole foods off while screwing the little guys where I generally shop.

Offline chi_dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »
A few years ago, my local shop rationed KBS to 1 4pk per customer. Then last year, you were lucky to get 1 bottle. This year, they're rationing REGULAR breakfast stout. Unreal.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2011, 09:01:26 AM »
gb having the Founders special releases on shelves for weeks around here i guess :ale:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad in some markets.  I have missed out on KBS for the last several years, and don't really miss it.  I can get Centennial, Red's Rye, and some of the seasonals pretty much any time I go shopping.  Things like Blushing Monk were hard to find pretty much anywhere, so I wasn't upset when I didn't find it.

I guess I'm just more of a 'glass is half full' kinda guy, and buy whatever I see on the shelf, without lamenting what isn't there.
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Mark

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
It is a little bit frustrating.  Last year I got all the harvest ale I wanted.  This year there was like a 2 day window when it could be had at retail.

This.

I managed to get a bunch last year; this year, I only got a single 4-pack. We seem to have enough Breakfast Stout to go around, thankfully, but I would have liked more Harvest Ale.

Offline beagle

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • DO NOT TALK BAD ABOUT SOCCER! SERIOUS BUSINESS!
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
All Stouts Day at Bell's today... http://bellsbeer.com/ftp/tapshot.big.jpg for the tap list. Black Note will be on tap.
All your brews are belong to me

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2011, 01:53:26 PM »
All Stouts Day at Bell's today... http://bellsbeer.com/ftp/tapshot.big.jpg for the tap list. Black Note will be on tap.
omw

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »
Black Note is easily the best beer I've had at the cafe. Maybe it will get the 750 treatment.... a guy can dream.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
http://www.bellsbeer.com/blog/

Changes in 2012 Hopslam Release
Larry Bell - President
To our Hopslam customers:

Recently, Bell’s issued a press release announcing “release dates” for our Hopslam Ale. Although posted in good faith, the Hopslam press release had some erroneous information. Because of the potential impact of our expansion-related construction & the holiday season on our brewing schedule, we had initially created a relatively conservative release program that focused on a set of specific roll-out dates. Fortunately, we haven’t experienced many of the timing conflicts that we had anticipated in the brewing schedule, and we’re reasonably close to matching the release calendar of prior years. Unfortunately, the newly updated & finalized roll-out timing wasn’t passed on to everyone during all the activity here at the brewery, and I only realized the error after we published the release dates from the previous plan.

There will be no hard and fast dates for the release of Hopslam in 2012, but rather, it will be released on a market by market basis as has been our policy in the past.  Because this brand has gotten so large for us, and given the production time to make it, this year the total time of release will stretch over a two month period, meaning that some markets will have product well ahead of other markets.  And, in fact, some retailers in a given market may receive product before other retailers.  We are well aware of the “fairness” issues involved in this process of distribution. However, I believe that this will be our best option.

If we were to attempt to have Hopslam released on the same day for all of our customers, then we would have to require our wholesaler partners to inventory the beer, some for up to five weeks, before they could ship it to the retail market. I found this option unacceptable as I believe that Hopslam should be consumed as fresh as possible.  While this option would be fairer to our wholesalers and retailers, it would mean sacrificing quality in the name of politics.  And in the end, Bell’s tries to deliver quality.

All of our wholesalers will receive Hopslam this year.  When they get it depends upon the size of their order, our availability and the individual trucking schedules for each wholesaler.  Shipping is NOT based on favorability.  We will do the best we can to satisfy everyone, all we ask is patience on your part while we brew, package and ship this wonderful ale, while in the meantime try to keep up with our other production.  Currently we only have so much fermenter space for dry-hopped ales and we need to keep up our Two Hearted brewing.  We are brewing over 5000 barrels of Hopslam this year and it takes us awhile to get all that brewing and dry-hopping done.

I apologize for the false information given out earlier.  The breakdown in communication lies with me and I am solely responsible for the error. Hopslam will start shipping next week to some of our smaller wholesalers, and shipping will continue through January and February.  Thank you for your consideration and understanding of this issue.

Larry J. Bell

President

Bell’s Brewery, Inc.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »
He's such a classy guy :thumbup:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #215 on: December 30, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
5000 barrels?  :o

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/07/bells_brewery_owner_comstock_r.html

Bell's Brewery owner, Comstock residents raise complaints over Enbridge dredging plan

Offline beagle

• Barleywine

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #219 on: November 15, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »

Two Hearted Ale and Oberon Ale will debut in cans beginning in late April, 2014.

They will be available to purchase in 16-ounce four-packs in all markets we currently distribute to.

Both designs will feature familiar images, but the Two Hearted can design will also bring back a local Kalamazoo artist’s illustration from a previously retired label first introduced in the late 1990s.

Future can offerings will include our seasonal lineup ? Best Brown Ale, Winter White Ale and Smitten Golden Rye Ale to start.

“This new option will allow our fans to take our beer to places where glass is not allowed. It opens up a lot of new opportunities to enjoy Bell’s beer and that’s a win for everyone,” said Laura Bell, Bell’s Vice President.

“We are all very excited about this,” she added.

Our new canning line is part of our most recent expansion which also includes the addition of twelve 800-barrel fermenters to our Comstock Brewery.  The filler will have the capacity to fill 500 cans a minute and is from KHS USA Inc. located just outside of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The cans are produced by Denver-based Ball Corporation.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #220 on: November 15, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
i can not wait for the retro-bottles to return :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2013, 12:17:28 AM »
Saw those earlier.. purty.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #223 on: June 06, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »
Can't wait for some of Uranus.
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #224 on: June 06, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »
Oh, the things I would do with Uranus...

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #225 on: June 06, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I hear there's a procedure for lightening Uranus if you're not a fan of it being so dark.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
I hear there's a procedure for lightening Uranus if you're not a fan of it being so dark.

Is that the dreaded tinting of the taint?

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2019, 12:16:21 PM »
All I know is, thanks to that Illinois distributor being a dick, Bell's came to Virginia.   :thumbup:

In an ironic turn of events, Bell’s is pulling out of VA because this same distributor bought the company distributing Bell’s here in RVA. For a hot minute it looked like they were only going to pull out of Richmond, but it looks like all of VA now.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/bells-brewery-to-cease-beer-shipments-to-virginia

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2019, 01:04:33 PM »
All I know is, thanks to that Illinois distributor being a dick, Bell's came to Virginia.   :thumbup:

In an ironic turn of events, Bell’s is pulling out of VA because this same distributor bought the company distributing Bell’s here in RVA. For a hot minute it looked like they were only going to pull out of Richmond, but it looks like all of VA now.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/bells-brewery-to-cease-beer-shipments-to-virginia
:thumbdown:

How many states is Reyes in? Seems weird for a midwest distributor to be out of the region in VA.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2019, 06:21:06 PM »

:thumbdown:

How many states is Reyes in? Seems weird for a midwest distributor to be out of the region in VA.

Reyes is massive and they suck to deal with.  It should tell you enough that the company is Reyes Holdings.