search

Author Topic: Calfkiller Brewing Co. in TN?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
Calfkiller Brewing Co. in TN?
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:51:16 AM »
Anyone had a beer from them? Apparently they are about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville.   I just found out about them because they are expanding distribution to Nashville shortly. 

I may go and check them out closer to winter because of their seasonal Christmas Bonus made with local honey, orange zest and pine needles.  They have my attention.   :popcorn:
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
Re: Calfkiller Brewing Co. in TN?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:00:24 AM »
Anyone had a beer from them? Apparently they are about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville.   I just found out about them because they are expanding distribution to Nashville shortly. 

I may go and check them out closer to winter because of their seasonal Christmas Bonus made with local honey, orange zest and pine needles.  They have my attention.   :popcorn:

I've only seen the chatter in the Facebook beer group where I presume you learned about them.  It amuses me and is a hopeful sign, because the part of the world where they are located, an area where I grew up and consider "God's country" because of it's natural beauty was mostly dry counties around 25 years ago.  My wife and I met in college at TTU in nearby Cookeville TN, the university is a significant size and economic impact on the community, and at the time there were only three bars in town that you could buy beer, you could not buy it in stores, and there was no liquor.  Calfkiller Breing is in Sparta, TN, which is even more rural.  As a Boy Scout, I also canoed on the Calfkiller river, which they are named for.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:54:35 AM »
I thought "god's country" was in WI :)

Who names a place and a river "calfkiller" :blink:
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »

Who names a place and a river "calfkiller" :blink:

These guys?

http://vealfarm.com/
http://www.americanveal.com/

Offline Apocalipstick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
  • HEY!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
We expect a phone call when you visit TN!! Cookeville is just an hour from Nashville!!  :cheers:

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »

your god must be pretty pathetic.  :mellow:

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »
I don't have a god :no:
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »
We expect a phone call when you visit TN!! Cookeville is just an hour from Nashville!!  :cheers:
Since they are moving into Nashville, stands a good chance I'll be coming that way to try their beers.   :thumbup:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
Since they are moving into Nashville, stands a good chance I'll be coming that way to try their beers.   :thumbup:

Its looking like a Nashville beer trip is needed.  News is, the new Blackstone bottling line is up and running and the appearance of six packs on grocery shelves is imminent all over the music city.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »

Its looking like a Nashville beer trip is needed.  News is, the new Blackstone bottling line is up and running and the appearance of six packs on grocery shelves is imminent all over the music city.

How imminent?  Within the next 10 days or so?

Side bar:  I need a stop in Nashville, with bonus points for proximity to I-65.  Is Frugal MacDoogal my best bet?

Offline Apocalipstick

• Pale Ale
  • HEY!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »

Side bar:  I need a stop in Nashville, with bonus points for proximity to I-65.  Is Frugal MacDoogal my best bet?

We love Midtown. It is right off 24/40 between downtown and west end......maybe 15 minutes out of your way. I'll have coldchill send you the details.
PS-Midtown is kid friendly! They have the cutest shopping carts!!

Offline Apocalipstick

• Pale Ale
  • HEY!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »

There is a new brewery here too.....some place ran by 2 chicks.  :thumbup:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »

Jackalope.  yeah, I wanna check those chicks that brewery out.   :unsure:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »

We love Midtown. It is right off 24/40 between downtown and west end......maybe 15 minutes out of your way. I'll have coldchill send you the details.
PS-Midtown is kid friendly! They have the cutest shopping carts!!
:thumbup: to Midtown. 

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »

by the end of this week imminent...

Midtown is probably the easiest on / off I-65, its only 2-3 blocks on Church Street, really less than 5 minutes out of the way.  Frugal MacDougal is convenient if you are visiting the Yazoo taproom, it is spitting distance.  Both are about the same in terms of beer selection, I think Midtown may be a little better for selection of spirits

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »

Most reports I get say that the beer at Jackelope isn't quite ready for "prime-time"

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »

Most reports I get say that the beer at Jackelope isn't quite ready for "prime-time"
Noted. 

Been reading their blog.  It sounds worse than what I mean, but I am not too sure how serious they are taking it at this point.  I hope they pull through though.  I like the concept and story around them.  It would be good for craft beer if they make it. 

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 06:26:50 AM »

Noted. 

Been reading their blog.  It sounds worse than what I mean, but I am not too sure how serious they are taking it at this point.  I hope they pull through though.  I like the concept and story around them.  It would be good for craft beer if they make it.

They certainly seem to be "easing" into the market.  Even though they've been open for several months, their beer is only available at the brewery and only on Friday from 4-8.
"Sometimes stunned silence is better than applause."

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
Exactly.  There is no way Jackalope is any where near making any money with that level of availability.  It seems they may have been unknowingly a bit over their head when they opened the brewery, and now they are slowing it down to try and figure it out.   :shrug:

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 11:44:02 AM »

Midtown is probably the easiest on / off I-65, its only 2-3 blocks on Church Street, really less than 5 minutes out of the way.  Frugal MacDougal is convenient if you are visiting the Yazoo taproom, it is spitting distance.  Both are about the same in terms of beer selection, I think Midtown may be a little better for selection of spirits

I say go to both.  Midtown is easier to get to, but once you leave there it is pretty easy and only about 1.5 miles to Frugal's AND you can stop at Yazoo (if they're open) and Jackalope (they won't be open).

Here's a map that I threw together (under the umbrella of learning how to use my GIS software  :unsure:)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:51:01 AM by coldchill »
"Sometimes stunned silence is better than applause."

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »

I say go to both.  Midtown is easier to get to, but once you leave there it is pretty easy and only about 1.5 miles to Frugal's AND you can stop at Yazoo (if they're open) and Jackalope (they won't be open).

Here's a map that I threw together (under the umbrella of learning how to use my GIS software  :unsure:)

I prefer using 17th or (16th depending on direction you are going) and Division to get between Midtown on the other three locations.  Fewer traffic lights, straight shot once you get to Division.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »
Calfkiller apparently went off on their local Bud distributor after they accused the little brewery of stealing their kegs:

Grab your Kool aid kids and take a seat. Here’s the story of Calfkiller Brewing Company, and Budweiser of TN.
Once upon a time there was this little guy (Calfkiller Brewing Company). A very honest hard working little guy with a dream to make great beer that folks could enjoy. After many years of hard work this dream became reality. Slowly but surely the little guy was rubbing shoulders with the big guys in the market place. All was well…….or so they thought.

See being the little guy you start small if your smart. You buy used equipment, and or convert things to serve a purpose you need. You recycle and do the best you can with what you have to work with. Used equipment for beer making is everywhere! Everything from full brewery systems to the kegs for transporting the beer. KEGS!! Did someone say kegs??? Ahh yes, this takes us back to point of the story.

Over the years the little guy has purchased used kegs from all across the country. A few examples would be unclaimed freight auctions, breweries that have closed, or keg companies that sell new, used, and refurbished kegs. Anyone can purchase these, and Calfkiller has done it as well. Everything from website sales to store fronts in public with huge signs by the road for everyone to see. LEGIT businesses! So Calfkiller has been using kegs like these from day one.

Smooth sailing and all has seemed well…..until about a month ago! That’s when the “Budweiser keg police” began trying to strong arm the little guy. Now no one is sure really why. Maybe they simply want the entire market. Maybe they simply don’t like the little guys. Maybe they got their first quarter reports for 2012, and noticed the little guy had taken a piece of their pie. The only thing the little guy knows for sure is the truth isn’t in them so it does no good to ask questions at Budweiser in TN.

So the big monopoly Budweiser has started walking in to accounts, and simply taking the little guys kegs! FLIRTING WITH SLANDER they have told business owners that Calfkiller had stole the kegs. WRONG WAY TO PLAY BALL BUDWEISER!!

Calfkiller is pissed, and is sharing their side of the story. THE TRUTH of the story to the public. The little guy tried to be civil about the matter. They contacted distribution to try and resolve the issue, but were lied to, ignored, and simply not dealt with. Budweiser has said they have never sold a keg. Really??? How can they be purchased from places by the truck load then??? They also informed Calfkiller that it had come down from corporate, and was out of the local distributions hands. Although Calfkiller found it flattering that the big dogs even knew who they were they also found it highly unlikely that the beer giant cared that Calfkiller had a few 20 year old kegs of theirs.

After researching, and talking with St. Louis, St. Louis said “we know nothing about this.” Calfkiller figured as much. Plus after 5 phone calls not returned it was pretty obvious it was on the local scale, and the So Called “King of Beers” had little if anything to do with it. Speaking of stealing… “King of Beers” they stole that from a German beer company many many moons ago. They have always been bully’s [sic]. Look at their 2012 business strategies. They can be found online.

Everything from threatening 500 wholesalers, to telling local distribution what they can, and can not deliver on their trucks. OH, and American beer??? lol Check the chart showing who’s in charge of anything Budweiser in America… very interesting, and comical. So the moral of this story kids is “morals” Calfkiller has a great standard of them. Now Budweiser may wrongly take what they can from the little guy, but they will not take the Name of Calfkiller Brewing Company, and run it through the ringer without a fight. Calfkiller has done no wrong to anyone. Calfkiller HAS lost all respect for Budweiser of TN, and the Hand company.

Plain, and simple folks the truth has been here by told, and now you know……the rest of the story.

Offline Apocalipstick

• Pale Ale
  • HEY!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
Good read! God Bless the little guy and their good beer!

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 01:01:36 AM »
Calfkiller apparently went off on their local Bud distributor after they accused the little brewery of stealing their kegs:

Grab your Kool aid kids and take a seat. Here’s the story of Calfkiller Brewing Company, and Budweiser of TN.
Once upon a time there was this little guy (Calfkiller Brewing Company). A very honest hard working little guy with a dream to make great beer that folks could enjoy. After many years of hard work this dream became reality. Slowly but surely the little guy was rubbing shoulders with the big guys in the market place. All was well…….or so they thought.

See being the little guy you start small if your smart. You buy used equipment, and or convert things to serve a purpose you need. You recycle and do the best you can with what you have to work with. Used equipment for beer making is everywhere! Everything from full brewery systems to the kegs for transporting the beer. KEGS!! Did someone say kegs??? Ahh yes, this takes us back to point of the story.

Over the years the little guy has purchased used kegs from all across the country. A few examples would be unclaimed freight auctions, breweries that have closed, or keg companies that sell new, used, and refurbished kegs. Anyone can purchase these, and Calfkiller has done it as well. Everything from website sales to store fronts in public with huge signs by the road for everyone to see. LEGIT businesses! So Calfkiller has been using kegs like these from day one.

Smooth sailing and all has seemed well…..until about a month ago! That’s when the “Budweiser keg police” began trying to strong arm the little guy. Now no one is sure really why. Maybe they simply want the entire market. Maybe they simply don’t like the little guys. Maybe they got their first quarter reports for 2012, and noticed the little guy had taken a piece of their pie. The only thing the little guy knows for sure is the truth isn’t in them so it does no good to ask questions at Budweiser in TN.

So the big monopoly Budweiser has started walking in to accounts, and simply taking the little guys kegs! FLIRTING WITH SLANDER they have told business owners that Calfkiller had stole the kegs. WRONG WAY TO PLAY BALL BUDWEISER!!

Calfkiller is pissed, and is sharing their side of the story. THE TRUTH of the story to the public. The little guy tried to be civil about the matter. They contacted distribution to try and resolve the issue, but were lied to, ignored, and simply not dealt with. Budweiser has said they have never sold a keg. Really??? How can they be purchased from places by the truck load then??? They also informed Calfkiller that it had come down from corporate, and was out of the local distributions hands. Although Calfkiller found it flattering that the big dogs even knew who they were they also found it highly unlikely that the beer giant cared that Calfkiller had a few 20 year old kegs of theirs.

After researching, and talking with St. Louis, St. Louis said “we know nothing about this.” Calfkiller figured as much. Plus after 5 phone calls not returned it was pretty obvious it was on the local scale, and the So Called “King of Beers” had little if anything to do with it. Speaking of stealing… “King of Beers” they stole that from a German beer company many many moons ago. They have always been bully’s [sic]. Look at their 2012 business strategies. They can be found online.

Everything from threatening 500 wholesalers, to telling local distribution what they can, and can not deliver on their trucks. OH, and American beer??? lol Check the chart showing who’s in charge of anything Budweiser in America… very interesting, and comical. So the moral of this story kids is “morals” Calfkiller has a great standard of them. Now Budweiser may wrongly take what they can from the little guy, but they will not take the Name of Calfkiller Brewing Company, and run it through the ringer without a fight. Calfkiller has done no wrong to anyone. Calfkiller HAS lost all respect for Budweiser of TN, and the Hand company.

Plain, and simple folks the truth has been here by told, and now you know……the rest of the story.
A certain distributor you are very familiar with also says that their local Bud Distro has done the same thing... picked up kegs from retailers that belong to some of our locals, claiming they belong to Bud.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »
That, my friend, is some bullshit. 

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »

Seems like a police report should get the ball rolling.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »

Seems like a police report should get the ball rolling.

:goodposting:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 01:31:31 AM »
Kinda makes you wonder if the Bud guys are sharing some underhanded dirty trick playbook.