search

Author Topic: General Atlanta area meetups/info  (Read 3147 times)

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
Re: General Atlanta area meetups/info
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2011, 11:21:13 AM »
I thought I had posted this earlier, but maybe I missed it.  Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting is one of the best Atlanta area beer events.  The tickets are a bit pricy, but they have to purchase all the beer now due to a crackdown a couple of years ago.  You almost never know what is going to be available on a given year, but there are always some interesting beers to drink.  I am not sure how much longer tickets will last since they have been on sale for quite some time.  It usually sells out pretty quickly, but it has not this year.

http://www.classiccitybrew.com/acat.html

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
I thought I had posted this earlier, but maybe I missed it.  Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting is one of the best Atlanta area beer events.  The tickets are a bit pricy, but they have to purchase all the beer now due to a crackdown a couple of years ago.  You almost never know what is going to be available on a given year, but there are always some interesting beers to drink.  I am not sure how much longer tickets will last since they have been on sale for quite some time.  It usually sells out pretty quickly, but it has not this year.

Been kinda of strapped for cash lately (especially after the wedding).  If ticket sales hold out, I will probably buy a couple tickets when I beef up my bank account. 
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
Just wanted to post about the upcoming brac trip to Atlanta in case anyone else could make it.  He will be in town on Dec 18th and we will be meeting up in Decatur sometime early that day   :cheers:

Thanks for picking up my slack  :cheers:
You guys know that I am in.   :pickle:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »
Just wanted to post about the upcoming brac trip to Atlanta in case anyone else could make it.  He will be in town on Dec 18th and we will be meeting up in Decatur sometime early that day   :cheers:

Has anyone booked a hotel for this yet?  I can't even find the Holiday Inn online anywhere to make a reservation, so I was wondering if others had any other ideas on hotels?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »

Has anyone booked a hotel for this yet?  I can't even find the Holiday Inn online anywhere to make a reservation, so I was wondering if others had any other ideas on hotels?
Yeah, their online site is down.  Have you tried calling them to see if they are still there?  (404) 371-0204

I would if I wasn't at work. 

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »

Yeah, their online site is down.  Have you tried calling them to see if they are still there?  (404) 371-0204

Just read some reviews, and not too sure we want to stay there.  Shocking stuff for being right in the heart of Decatur.  :scared:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »

Just read some reviews, and not too sure we want to stay there.  Shocking stuff for being right in the heart of Decatur.  :scared:

Yeah.  I saw some of that with the reviews

I still would like somewhere easy for bracwife to get to and from with kids in tow.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
Response from BSP Lee...

i should be able to make it. shoot me a reminder a cpl days before if you dont mind. Cheers

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »

Well I was afraid this might happen.  Looks like I will miss the Sexual Chocolate release for the first time in 3 years since it is falling on the same day as ACAT.  I am not as disappointed as I would have expected to be.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2011, 01:05:52 PM »
Response from BSP Lee...

i should be able to make it. shoot me a reminder a cpl days before if you dont mind. Cheers

[/quote
You tell him his big, beautiful ass needs to be there. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
Response from BSP Lee...

I leave all the man love comments to you and brac.

Should we start talking about what we want to bring to share?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »
Response from BSP Lee...

Maybe, that might entice Lee a bit.  He's a whore for the beers.

Some highlights of what I can bring:

Brute
Le Bleu
BCS Rare
FW 12, 14
Upright Four
512 Whiskey BA Double Pecan Porter
DL's

Thats all I can think of as possibilities off the top of my head.  There are more but I am too lazy to go through the boxes at this time. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »
Response from BSP Lee...

Brute
Le Bleu
BCS Rare
FW 12, 14
Upright Four
DL's

Thats all I can think of as possibilities off the top of my head.  There are more but I am too lazy to go through the boxes at this time.

DAMN!  Bringing out the big guns, huh?  Not sure if I want to go more with a variety or go with a nice vertical since we should have a handful of people that could make it through them.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2011, 01:36:24 PM »
Response from BSP Lee...

Brute
Le Bleu
BCS Rare
FW 12, 14
Upright Four
DL's

DAMN!  Bringing out the big guns, huh?  Not sure if I want to go more with a variety or go with a nice vertical since we should have a handful of people that could make it through them.
Brac will be in the area, I'll whip it out.   :mellow:  I have lots of other stuff, these are the more desirables I suppose.  If we come up with a theme or list, I can find some stuff to add.  Not to mention all this NG stuff that Brac gifted me.  :wub:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
Response from BSP Lee...

Brute
Le Bleu
BCS Rare
FW 12, 14
Upright Four
DL's

Brac will be in the area, I'll whip it out.   :mellow:  I have lots of other stuff, these are the more desirables I suppose.  If we come up with a theme or list, I can find some stuff to add.  Not to mention all this NG stuff that Brac gifted me.  :wub:

I'll see about grabbing a growler or two of something cool from CCB while I am there to bring out.  We'll see what I can find at the stores too. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »
Any interest in a Behemoth Blonde vertical?  I have 07-11, and 11.5 (recent special Ohio launch version).

Also, have a ton of other options as well that are likely to taste better than the Behemoth, but I know some people love verticals.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »
Any interest in a Behemoth Blonde vertical?  I have 07-11, and 11.5 (recent special Ohio launch version).

Also, have a ton of other options as well that are likely to taste better than the Behemoth, but I know some people love verticals.
Never had it.   :shrug:  A big ass BW vertical sounds like a dangerous way to start the afternoon.  I like it. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
 :trainwreck:

Time to scramble I am afraid  :wall:

Just got this message from Lee...

Moving into a new house and sunday is a big moving day. I can try and meet you guys here for a quick tour but probably shouldnt hang out too long. I will shoot for noonish.

So we can at least show brac the cellar, but we do not have anywhere for a bottle share unless we ask if we can bust stuff out in the main part of the pub.  I am never a fan of that though since we are taking a spot away from people paying for their food.

I do not have good enough ties with anyone else in the city (since I always do the Brick Store thing).  Only other place I know I could swing something would be at 5 Seasons North way out in the burbs near me.  The same brewer is at 5 West, but I think they are more busy and it would not be as easy to pull off.

You got any contacts at Twains or other Decatur spots Gilly?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »
:trainwreck:

Time to scramble I am afraid  :wall:

Just got this message from Lee...

Moving into a new house and sunday is a big moving day. I can try and meet you guys here for a quick tour but probably shouldnt hang out too long. I will shoot for noonish.

So we can at least show brac the cellar, but we do not have anywhere for a bottle share unless we ask if we can bust stuff out in the main part of the pub.  I am never a fan of that though since we are taking a spot away from people paying for their food.

I do not have good enough ties with anyone else in the city (since I always do the Brick Store thing).  Only other place I know I could swing something would be at 5 Seasons North way out in the burbs near me.  The same brewer is at 5 West, but I think they are more busy and it would not be as easy to pull off.

You got any contacts at Twains or other Decatur spots Gilly?
Fraid not. Lee is my best contact for this sort of thing. 

5 Seasons West typically has a lot of unused space upstairs, downstairs and outside, but I wouldn't even know who to contact about setting it up or seeing if it is possible.  I only chat up the wait staff when I am there and really haven't made any contacts with anyone "in charge" there. 

:shrug:

#### balls. 

I can maybe hit up Kraig (owner of Hop City) and see if he knows anyone that would be open to a tasting. 

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2011, 08:22:33 AM »
Hmmm....I was away from the computer for a day and look what I miss.  I think worst case scenario would be that we do a tasting at the hotel that I eventually book.  I would need to make sure wife is okay with it, but that seems like a strong possibility.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »
A friend came up with an interesting suggestion.  Asking the guys at Ale Yeah if we could hang out in the back at their store if we offered to share what we brought with them.  Thoughts on that?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:42 AM »
A friend came up with an interesting suggestion.  Asking the guys at Ale Yeah if we could hang out in the back at their store if we offered to share what we brought with them.  Thoughts on that?
I could be into that.  Not far from BSP, we can go get lunch, do a tour of the cellar, then head over to Ale Yeah.  Definitely would be an easy fix.  Plus it would get me more contacts at another ATL beer store.   :thumbup:

Will they be sharing as well or will it a be "I get to drink all I want because I provided the space" kind of situation?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:10:58 AM by everetends »

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2011, 11:51:43 AM »
After some back and forth with Gilly via text, I am going to send an email to Eddie to see if it would be something he would consider.  I will let you guys know what I found out.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
After some back and forth with Gilly via text, I am going to send an email to Eddie to see if it would be something he would consider.  I will let you guys know what I found out.
It was more like pillow talk. :wub:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »

:thumbup:

FYI, sounds like another delivery of Wake and Bake has hit the city according to recent tweets, so you might want to look out for it on your trip to town Sunday.  Not that you would get to drink any of it but still....

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

:thumbup:

FYI, sounds like another delivery of Wake and Bake has hit the city according to recent tweets, so you might want to look out for it on your trip to town Sunday.  Not that you would get to drink any of it but still....

I'll tell Tara.  :kickrock:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
Posting this in case brac gets on at the hotel.

It has kind of turned into a comedy of errors.  No response from Eddie, so no tasting there.  I sent BSP Lee another message asking if we could just do a tasting in the Belgian Bar since (according to the website) it does not open until 5pm.  I didn't get a response to that either  :thumbdown:

On top of that, Billy appears to have food poisoning or something with similar symptoms, so he is oot for tomorrow.  It also means all I can bring is stuff from my fridge.  I have a few decent beers here, but nothing like I would have liked to have brought.  I will have to reign in my drinking a bit more than I planned since I won't have Mr Responsible with me for driving back home.

On the bright side, my other friend Lee may meet us at the pub sometime tomorrow.  He is driving back with his wife from Alabama tomorrow morning and is planning to have her drop him off.

So the only plan I have as of now is for us all to meet at the pub at noon.  We will see if Lee ends up showing up or not, but regardless we should be able to hang out and have a few beers.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
Posting this in case brac gets on at the hotel.

It has kind of turned into a comedy of errors.  No response from Eddie, so no tasting there.  I sent BSP Lee another message asking if we could just do a tasting in the Belgian Bar since (according to the website) it does not open until 5pm.  I didn't get a response to that either  :thumbdown:

On top of that, Billy appears to have food poisoning or something with similar symptoms, so he is oot for tomorrow.  It also means all I can bring is stuff from my fridge.  I have a few decent beers here, but nothing like I would have liked to have brought.  I will have to reign in my drinking a bit more than I planned since I won't have Mr Responsible with me for driving back home.

On the bright side, my other friend Lee may meet us at the pub sometime tomorrow.  He is driving back with his wife from Alabama tomorrow morning and is planning to have her drop him off.

So the only plan I have as of now is for us all to meet at the pub at noon.  We will see if Lee ends up showing up or not, but regardless we should be able to hang out and have a few beers.
So . . . what beer should I bring?

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »

Not even sure what I am bringing yet.  I have the following options: Raspberry Tart, BCS '09, Foothill's Baltic Porter, Batch 9000, Batch 10k, Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit, DFH Olde School, DFH WWS, '09 KBS, Tyranena Benji's, Hotd Fred

I have some more stuff, but I would not want to bring things that the Brick Store might have for sale.  So even a couple of the ones above might fall in that category with the cellar stuff.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »

Not even sure what I am bringing yet.  I have the following options: Raspberry Tart, BCS '09, Foothill's Baltic Porter, Batch 9000, Batch 10k, Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit, DFH Olde School, DFH WWS, '09 KBS, Tyranena Benji's, Hotd Fred

I have some more stuff, but I would not want to bring things that the Brick Store might have for sale.  So even a couple of the ones above might fall in that category with the cellar stuff.
We could just be ballas and order off the super secret cellar menu all day.   :mellow:

Practically all they have on draft are Christmas and Winter brews.  I am slightly upset.   :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:37:35 PM by everetends »

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »

We could just be ballas and order off the super secret cellar menu all day.   :mellow:

Practically all they have on draft are Christmas and Winter brews.  I am slightly upset.   :thumbdown:

I considered just ordering from the cellar menu, but if we are there a few hours, the bill would be :scared:

I agree on the current lineup not being up to their usual standards.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2011, 10:25:46 PM »

I considered just ordering from the cellar menu, but if we are there a few hours, the bill would be :scared:

I agree on the current lineup not being up to their usual standards.
Well Leon's seems to have some decent stuff up.  As does Twain's if their tap list online is up to date.  And The Porter is just 10 minutes away if things get desperate. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »
Good times today!  It was awesome to finally meet Kevin and his family and to get to see Gilly and Tara again.  I am glad the tasting and cellar trip worked out thanks to Tara's charm  :thumbup:

Hopefully this can be a yearly event from now on.   :cheers:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
Good times today!  It was awesome to finally meet Kevin and his family and to get to see Gilly and Tara again.  I am glad the tasting and cellar trip worked out thanks to Tara's charm  :thumbup:.

I hope maybe a twice a year thing!  It was great to meet you, Donnie, and Lee.  It is always good to see Gillyl and Tara.  Even with nothing planned beyond lunch, we came out pretty good for the day I think.  I almost think seeing the cellar by cell phone light was a more magical way of seeing it for the first time.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »
Good times today!  It was awesome to finally meet Kevin and his family and to get to see Gilly and Tara again.  I am glad the tasting and cellar trip worked out thanks to Tara's charm  :thumbup:.

I hope maybe a twice a year thing!  It was great to meet you, Donnie, and Lee.  It is always good to see Gillyl and Tara.  Even with nothing planned beyond lunch, we came out pretty good for the day I think.  I almost think seeing the cellar by cell phone light was a more magical way of seeing it for the first time.
Well dwarves do like dark, cold caves full of treasures, so you should have felt right at home.   :mellow:

We had a great time.  Glad we got to do everything we wanted and finished up with some hangout time at the hotel with Bracwife and the kiddos.  Overall, this was a great friggin day. 

Oh yeah, and it was great to meet Lee. That cat is cool in my book.   :thumbup:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2011, 09:19:41 PM »

Well dwarves do like dark, cold caves full of treasures, so you should have felt right at home.   :mellow:

We had a great time.  Glad we got to do everything we wanted and finished up with some hangout time at the hotel with Bracwife and the kiddos.  Overall, this was a great friggin day. 

Are we talking about Lee Elm, or another Lee?
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »

Beer people don't have last names, just screen names.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »

In that case, is this OskarBamBlues we are talking about?
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
Yes it is.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

OK, Dr. Pitz.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »

OK, Dr. Pitz.

That is Dr. Bug to you, mister

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2012, 06:49:18 PM »
Chaz will be in Columbia, SC in a few weeks and won't even drive down to Atlanta to have a few beers with us.  I guess I know where we stand.   :kickrock:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2012, 07:01:17 PM »
Chaz will be in Columbia, SC in a few weeks and won't even drive down to Atlanta to have a few beers with us.  I guess I know where we stand.   :kickrock:

:bird:

I'm going to visit Mikey, not y'all.  :P

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »

:bird:

I'm going to visit Mikey, not y'all.  :P
#### you.   <_<

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
bitch fight!  :pickle:
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
And you! Drive your van down here so we can drink some sours, damnit!

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »

I go east and west and sometimes North... My compass doesn't know South
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2012, 07:27:47 PM »

Thats a shame. 

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »

Thats a shame.

I bet he'll come see me :coffee:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »

Thats a shame.

I bet he'll come see me :coffee:
He just has an irrational fear of the south.