search

Author Topic: General Atlanta area meetups/info  (Read 6949 times)

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
General Atlanta area meetups/info
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
Seems we are starting to get a little more traffic on this board about Atlanta events/meetups, so I figured we might as well have a general forum topic so we can post about random cornholes or just for those looking for info about the city when passing through.   

For instance, most likely going to be in Atlanta/Decatur on Friday for the night before moving on to a day in Athens on Saturday.  Figure I will pick up the scraps in Decatur after missing the Brick Store Anniversary.  May be up for a meetup if anyone is available to get a couple beers.   :bye:
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
Re: General Atlanta area meetups/info
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:45:53 AM »
I do not think this Friday will work for me  :thumbdown:

I do like the idea of this thread though  :thumbup:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
Me too
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:59:54 AM »

It might actually move to Sunday afternoon on the way back home.  Tara wants to just do dinner in Atlanta on Friday and then push on to Athens that night (hotels are much cheaper).  Have you (or Ding if he checks in) ever eaten at Kurt's Bistro in Duluth?  I like the idea of supporting a restaurant that has a great reputation but had to downsize their restaurant due to the tough economy, but at the same time that kind of scares me.  A German style steakhouse does sound pretty interesting.   :shrug:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »

It might actually move to Sunday afternoon on the way back home.  Tara wants to just do dinner in Atlanta on Friday and then push on to Athens that night (hotels are much cheaper).  Have you (or Ding if he checks in) ever eaten at Kurt's Bistro in Duluth?  I like the idea of supporting a restaurant that has a great reputation but had to downsize their restaurant due to the tough economy, but at the same time that kind of scares me.  A German style steakhouse does sound pretty interesting.   :shrug:

Well if it were any other week I would say you guys could hang out with Billy and me on Friday night and either push on to Athens from there or get a cheaper hotel near his house.  However, he is in Pensacola for the week, and at least early signs are my wife has plans for us Friday since I told her I was not going to Billy's house like usual.

I have not eaten there but I have definitely heard of it.  I want to say Ding had a review of it on BA before he got nuked.  I had no idea they had to downsize.   If you do decide on that, let me know.  If I am wrong about the wife plans, I might be able to meet you there since it is only a few miles from my house.

EDIT: Oh, do you mean Sunday in Duluth and not Friday?  Kind of hard to be sure now that I read it again.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »

Haven't stayed in a hotel in Atlanta in a couple of years now, you need to ingratiate yourself more with someone in the Atlanta crew.  And as Donnie suggests, hotels on the north-side are always cheap.  In the past we've usually been able to get something around Perimeter on Hotwire for $35-$50, and you can take MARTA from there easy enough, or simply use some of the money you saved to pay for parking wherever you need to go in town.

It seems someone was going to have a Calhoun County gathering at some point... don't make it a year from when I sent you the goodies to do it with  :-\
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »

Well if it were any other week I would say you guys could hang out with Billy and me on Friday night and either push on to Athens from there or get a cheaper hotel near his house.  However, he is in Pensacola for the week, and at least early signs are my wife has plans for us Friday since I told her I was not going to Billy's house like usual.

I have not eaten there but I have definitely heard of it.  I want to say Ding had a review of it on BA before he got nuked.  I had no idea they had to downsize.   If you do decide on that, let me know.  If I am wrong about the wife plans, I might be able to meet you there since it is only a few miles from my house.

EDIT: Oh, do you mean Sunday in Duluth and not Friday?  Kind of hard to be sure now that I read it again.
We will be in Duluth for dinner Friday night if we choose that restaurant.  I was thinking that if Friday is bad for you or anyone else, we could always get Sunday afternoon brunch/drinks when we drive back through.  Doesn't really matter where since we will be driving around your area.  Just an idea. 

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »

Haven't stayed in a hotel in Atlanta in a couple of years now, you need to ingratiate yourself more with someone in the Atlanta crew.  And as Donnie suggests, hotels on the north-side are always cheap.  In the past we've usually been able to get something around Perimeter on Hotwire for $35-$50, and you can take MARTA from there easy enough, or simply use some of the money you saved to pay for parking wherever you need to go in town.

It seems someone was going to have a Calhoun County gathering at some point... don't make it a year from when I sent you the goodies to do it with  :-\
As far as the Calhoun County tasting, I put out feelers last month about it.  I got ZERO response.  Which is weird because the reception was big when I started the page.  I am going to put out another for August now and if no one replies I will just go ahead with it and see who shows up. 

Thanks for the hotel advice.  I don't plan on getting shitty Friday night, so driving to Athens doesn't really seem like an issue that night.  Friday will be more about a good meal and relaxing.  Saturday in Athens will probably be a different story . . .  :yes:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »

We will be in Duluth for dinner Friday night if we choose that restaurant.  I was thinking that if Friday is bad for you or anyone else, we could always get Sunday afternoon brunch/drinks when we drive back through.  Doesn't really matter where since we will be driving around your area.  Just an idea.

OK, if I am wrong about the wife plans, I should be able to swing Friday especially since it sounds like it won't be a late night if you are heading from there on to Athens.  I'll talk to the boss tonight about what she was planning for that evening.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »

OK, if I am wrong about the wife plans, I should be able to swing Friday especially since it sounds like it won't be a late night if you are heading from there on to Athens.  I'll talk to the boss tonight about what she was planning for that evening.
Okie dokie, I will check with Tara as well and make sure she isn't planning this to be a just me and her thing on Friday.  I can never tell sometimes. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
Plans my wife had were for the kids to be at a friends birthday party, so I am free.  As long as it isn't date night, count me in  :cheers:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »
Plans my wife had were for the kids to be at a friends birthday party, so I am free.  As long as it isn't date night, count me in  :cheers:

I should get more info at dinner time this evening.  Will let you know. 

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »

No date night with Gilly  ???

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »

I don't want to be accused of trying to steal your man.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »

I don't want to be accused of trying to steal your man.

Good choice  :comegetsome:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 12:51:06 AM »
Yeah, Tara wants Friday to be date night/early night in Athens.

Donnie, you down for a beer or two when we pass back through on Sunday?   

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »

That will be harder for me to swing, but I will see what I can do.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »

That will be harder for me to swing, but I will see what I can do.
Its cool, man.  This was kind of impromptu, so I understand. 

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »
Save all get out of jail free cards for the weekend of July 16th.  Murchmac (formerly of San Fran, now of PA) will be in Atlanta and is up for a cornhole.  I will have specifics soonish.   :pickle:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »
Save all get out of jail free cards for the weekend of July 16th.  Murchmac (formerly of San Fran, now of PA) will be in Atlanta and is up for a cornhole.  I will have specifics soonish.   :pickle:

You mean the same day as the BA Sexual Chocolate release?  :cry:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »

You mean the same day as the BA Sexual Chocolate release?  :cry:
well . . . fuck.  :kickrock:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »
Murch, Tara and I will be in the Decatur area this Saturday around 3 for any Atlanta area peeps that won't be going to Foothills that weekend.   <_<  We will meet up at Brick Store Pub, but I don't know where the day will take us from there. 

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 09:25:55 PM »
Murch, Tara and I will be in the Decatur area this Saturday around 3 for any Atlanta area peeps that won't be going to Foothills that weekend.   <_<  We will meet up at Brick Store Pub, but I don't know where the day will take us from there.
I was considering being there Friday evening, is it going to be strictly a Saturday thing?  Gotta be at a family reunion Saturday in East TN, so I'm missing Foothills as well

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »
I was considering being there Friday evening, is it going to be strictly a Saturday thing?  Gotta be at a family reunion Saturday in East TN, so I'm missing Foothills as well

Yeah, Murch has a pretty tight schedule and Saturday afternoon into the evening hours is the window he was given. 

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »

Yeah, Murch has a pretty tight schedule and Saturday afternoon into the evening hours is the window he was given.

Ask him if he still wants a mochaccino :unsure:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »

Ask him if he still wants a mochaccino :unsure:
I will . . .  :unsure:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
Got excited about this when Lee and the staff at Brick Store told me about it.  Made plans to go back for this, but then realized next Saturday is my one Saturday to work every 7 weeks.   :sadbanana:

Sour Christmas
Saturday, July 23rd 2011
Please join us For our Annual Christmas in July party on Saturday July 23rd from noon til 4pm...... Once again we will celebrate the non holiday season by decorating the Belgian bar, Collecting Toys for Tots and tapping some rare sour beers including Cantillon, Hannsens, Boon and many more. Have your picture made with Archieclaus and celebrate not having to entertain family or spend thousands on gifts nobody likes. I will post the beers when the list is finalized. Come on out and bring a toy for the kids! Please contact lee@brickstorepub with any questions

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »
Too bad you have to work.  Looks like I am being told to leave the house Saturday so my wife can let the kids have the run of the place while she gets a lot of stuff ready for a consignment sale.  I might head down to this or maybe just end up hanging out with Billy at his place.  Slight update to the info below.

tapping some rare sour draft beers including Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, Hannsens Gueze Cask, Boon Kriek, Boon Gueze, Boon Kriek Vintage 2008, Alvinne Morpheus wild undressed, Founders Blushing Monk, and a couple other christmas beer.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »
Too bad you have to work.  Looks like I am being told to leave the house Saturday so my wife can let the kids have the run of the place while she gets a lot of stuff ready for a consignment sale.  I might head down to this or maybe just end up hanging out with Billy at his place.  Slight update to the info below.

tapping some rare sour draft beers including Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, Hannsens Gueze Cask, Boon Kriek, Boon Gueze, Boon Kriek Vintage 2008, Alvinne Morpheus wild undressed, Founders Blushing Monk, and a couple other christmas beer.

Hmmm although I'm not a sour freak, I was thinking of going to Atlanta this weekend anyway... perhaps I'll drop in on this for a bit.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 10:00:41 AM »
Saw your post on the other site sounding like you are definitely going to be here.  I am not sure what Billy and I are going to do Saturday as of yet, but if we do end up going maybe we can pull that Matt for SC '11 trade off finally.  I also got more bottles of SC '11 due to buying that guys cellar.  So if you want more than 1, let me know.

I liked the sound of the rest of that post too.  Is there a jedifest coming in the future?  :excited:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
Saw your post on the other site sounding like you are definitely going to be here.  I am not sure what Billy and I are going to do Saturday as of yet, but if we do end up going maybe we can pull that Matt for SC '11 trade off finally.  I also got more bottles of SC '11 due to buying that guys cellar.  So if you want more than 1, let me know.

I liked the sound of the rest of that post too.  Is there a jedifest coming in the future?  :excited:

Probably only going to hit Brick Store fora couple, Dan (AtlBeerDog)wants to have a tasting at his place Saturday afternoon/evening, and I'm always up for drinking beer that is already paid for.  I'm thinking I might bring along a selection of Jackie O's stuff, since you guys in ATL haven't seen a lot of it.

As for jedifest, my 50th is in November, and Joan and I have our 25th Anniversary next March, so I hope to have a series of big "fests" to celebrate all of the upcoming milestones.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »

Probably only going to hit Brick Store fora couple, Dan (AtlBeerDog)wants to have a tasting at his place Saturday afternoon/evening, and I'm always up for drinking beer that is already paid for.  I'm thinking I might bring along a selection of Jackie O's stuff, since you guys in ATL haven't seen a lot of it.

As for jedifest, my 50th is in November, and Joan and I have our 25th Anniversary next March, so I hope to have a series of big "fests" to celebrate all of the upcoming milestones.

Yeah, I got the beer mail about that.  Not sure how far my Saturday get out of jail free pass goes.  I am going to try to make it that night for sure.

Sounds like very good reasons to have some parties to me :)

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »

Yeah, I got the beer mail about that.  Not sure how far my Saturday get out of jail free pass goes.  I am going to try to make it that night for sure.

I'll bring along a Matt... somehow, I thought we had already done that.  I've picked up a couple '11 SC's somewhere along the way.  You got any of the '11 BA-SC's available?  If so, anything you are looking for?

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:16 PM »

I'll bring along a Matt... somehow, I thought we had already done that.  I've picked up a couple '11 SC's somewhere along the way.  You got any of the '11 BA-SC's available?  If so, anything you are looking for?
We never did get that one done, no.  Just never worked out.

I could let one go.  Nothing I am really chasing at the moment except '11 Dark Lord which I have something in the works for already.  I would be interested in an '07 as well if you have some extras.

Looking for a couple of the Eclipse variants I didn't manage to score.  The cost would be a bit lopsided if you had any of those, and I am no sure what else I would have that you don't.

Vintage Gratitudes would be of interest if you happen to have extras so I can stretch out a vertical on those, but I just sent a guy a message about that earlier today.  I am guessing it will be a strike out though.  Not sure on the cost of those since I got them when I got that guys cellar.

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
Hey, Atlanta peeps:

@neilhimself Tickets for "Snow, Glass, Apples" in Atlanta are now on sale: www.InByTheEye.com/SnowGlassApples.html - opens Aug. 24th!

A play, based on Neil Gaiman's "Snow, Glass, Apples" short story.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
I may be in Atlanta on Friday night for dinner and drinks at BSP . . .   :unsure:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »
I may be in Atlanta on Friday night for dinner and drinks at BSP . . .   :unsure:

Holy short notice Batman!

I won't be able to make it into town Friday night since I am already likely to have to take a day off tomorrow for a meeting.  I do not know who all you are meeting or bringing, but I am sure we have room at Billy's and the beer is free there  :banned:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »

I won't be able to make it into town Friday night since I am already likely to have to take a day off tomorrow for a meeting.  I do not know who all you are meeting or bringing, but I am sure we have room at Billy's and the beer is free there  :banned:
It would probably be just me and Tara if we come.  Figured I'd take a shot in the dark and see if you guys were around.  Nothing set in stone because I may have to be up in Huntsville to pick up beer as well.  May do both . . .

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »

It would probably be just me and Tara if we come.  Figured I'd take a shot in the dark and see if you guys were around.  Nothing set in stone because I may have to be up in Huntsville to pick up beer as well.  May do both . . .

Just chatted with Billy, you are definitely welcome to come over if you do make it into town.  Just let me know if you are coming and what you want to drink from the cellar for your pre-wedding party :)

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »

Just chatted with Billy, you are definitely welcome to come over if you do make it into town.  Just let me know if you are coming and what you want to drink from the cellar for your pre-wedding party :)
Sounds sexy.  We may just dine in the northern burbs that evening if we make it that way.   :thumbup:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be in Atlanta during the morning/lunch hours of the day on Friday.  Tara is going to be Huntsville and won't be home til late and then we have some wedding shit to work on.  Figured I go in to the city early, have a man date with one of my homies, track down some beery goodness at Hop City, and then buy some wedding supplies. 

Donnie, you and I will have our moment soon.  It must be so. 

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 06:28:29 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be in Atlanta during the morning/lunch hours of the day on Friday.  Tara is going to be Huntsville and won't be home til late and then we have some wedding shit to work on.  Figured I go in to the city early, have a man date with one of my homies, track down some beery goodness at Hop City, and then buy some wedding supplies. 

If Tara is going to be here, perhaps she and I should have a moment...
 :veryexcited:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »

She would probably be willing to meet you for lunch and drinks if you are interested . . .

I am a sharing soul.   ;) Plus I have that Flower Power to hand off to you. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:46:46 PM by everetends »

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »

She would probably be willing to meet you for lunch and drinks if you are interested . . .

You have my number, give it to her... if I'm awake and half dressed, I would love to meet up with her for whatever  :P

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:54 AM »

You have my number, give it to her... if I'm awake and half dressed, I would love to meet up with her for whatever  :P
She has your cell number.  If she doesn't have  to meet a client for lunch, she will be giving you a call. 

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 11:07:24 PM »
Highly likely I will still head for Atlanta Saturday after the wedding, Donnie, if I do I'll be staying at Jay's and we will be getting into a few things.  sure you would be welcome if you are available.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 11:14:20 PM »
Highly likely I will still head for Atlanta Saturday after the wedding, Donnie, if I do I'll be staying at Jay's and we will be getting into a few things.  sure you would be welcome if you are available.

Would love to, but Suzanne doesn't get back until some time Sunday so I have kid duty. 

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »

Would love to, but Suzanne doesn't get back until some time Sunday so I have kid duty. 

Bring them along!
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »
Just wanted to post about the upcoming brac trip to Atlanta in case anyone else could make it.  He will be in town on Dec 18th and we will be meeting up in Decatur sometime early that day   :cheers:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »
Just wanted to post about the upcoming brac trip to Atlanta in case anyone else could make it.  He will be in town on Dec 18th and we will be meeting up in Decatur sometime early that day   :cheers:

Thanks for picking up my slack  :cheers: