search

Author Topic: Vermont (General Discussion)  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Steve Tasker

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
Vermont (General Discussion)
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »
Doesn't look like there's a general discussion thread for Vermont.  I have officially booked a trip for July 4th weekend.  Tentative plans...

Drive to Waterbury, VT on Friday.  GF gets out of work around 1 PM, we'll leave shortly after...probably won't get in until 10 PM or later....depending on how tired I am, probably won't do much of anything.

Saturday 7/2 - plan on driving to Hill Farmstead during the day...I talked to them, they plan on having hopefully 2 different bottle selections, plus their taps, so I should be fine.  Go to Alchemist for dinner and then spend forever there and get shitfaced drunk and then walk back to the hotel.

Sunday 7/3 - drive to Burlington...do some hiking at some point...dinner at Flatbread (hopefully, seems like there's often a really long wait?).  Hopefully hit up Vermont Pub and Brewery at some point.

Monday 7/4 - drive home.

What am I missing?  If anyone knows of a good hiking trail or two in the Waterbury/Burlington area, please let me know too.  We're not really advanced hikers, but something a couple of miles long in the 3-4 hour range is certainly doable.
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
Re: Vermont (General Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27:58 PM »
you suck

If you are staying in Waterbury still walk over to the alchemist even at 10pm. While heading to Hill Farm stop at Rock Art have a few samples maybe get a few bombers they are insanely cheap at the brewery... If you are a fan of Ice cream do the Ben and Jerry's tour and have some samples of ice cream in Waterbury as well...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:31:50 PM by decoman »
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
you suck

If you are staying in Waterbury still walk over to the alchemist even at 10pm. While heading to Hill Farm stop at Rock Art have a few samples maybe get a few bombers they are insanely cheap at the brewery... If you are a fan of Ice cream do the Ben and Jerry's tour and have some samples of ice cream in Waterbury as well...
If I'm not dead tired, I'd love to make it to Alchemist on Friday night too.

I didn't even think of Rock Art...should be on the way to Hill Farmstead, will definitely check it out as long as they're open on that Saturday.

I had no idea they did Ben and Jerry's tours in Waterbury...awesome.

These are the kinda suggestions I needed.

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »
you suck

I didn't even think of Rock Art...should be on the way to Hill Farmstead, will definitely check it out as long as they're open on that Saturday.

kind of quick and easy won't take a lot of your time and nice scoop of ice cream might clean the palate for some more beer  <_< feel free to buy me some Hill Farm  ;)

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
"Are we really driving 9 hours so you can buy beer from a fucking barn?"

- girlfriend

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:07:32 PM »
"Are we really driving 9 hours so you can buy beer from a ####ing barn?"

- girlfriend

oh boy.. gl with that...

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »

- girlfriend

Yes.  You can stay home if you'd like.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »

- girlfriend

oh boy.. gl with that...
Ehh she's fine with it, she likes beer...just not as much as I do :mellow:

To be fair, I responded with "no, the point of this trip is to I can go to the Alchemist"

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:12:55 PM »

- girlfriend

oh boy.. gl with that...
Ehh she's fine with it, she likes beer...just not as much as I do :mellow:

To be fair, I responded with "no, the point of this trip is to I can go to the Alchemist"

nice answer  :thumbup:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:11 PM »
ISO canned Heady Topper  :mellow:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 12:23:19 AM »
Vermont Pub and Brewery is literally half a block from Flatbread.  You can easily walk over after Flatbread for a beer on the patio.  Flatbread tends to be busy, but if you get there early, you will get in just fine.  Pearl Street Beverage isn't far from there either with a pretty good selection.  Lots of good bars, restaurants and cafes in the Square Mall, cool shops as well. 

Ben and Jerry's is fun.  Free samples after the tour, or you can just walk the grounds and hit up the walk up window for some ice cream.  Tara loves it there, but she is obcessed with Ben and Jerry's. 
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:49 AM »
Where is Long Trail in relation to where you'll be?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 01:33:30 AM »
Long Trail is about an hour south of Waterbury down Rte 100 (twisty as hell). 

Itinerary looks good;  other places I would check out would be:
- Hunger Mountain Co-Op in Montpelier on the way up to Hill Farmstead (great cheese and bread selections, solid beers as well); 

- The Warren Store, about 15-20 minutes south of Waterbury on Rte 100 and the only place you can buy Lawson's Finest liquids in bottle, at least in any reasonable manner.  The key there is to call them on Friday morning, ask what Lawson's brews they have, and reserve 4 bottles because it'll be freaking gone by the time you get there.

- Blackback Pub & Flyshop, Waterbury - a fly fishing store that happens to have some excellent brews on tap.

- Definitely hit both Flatbread and Vt Pub and Brewery.  As Gilly said, they're pretty much next door. and you need to go to both places.  Yes, you do.  Three Needs is also in the area as well.  Fiddlehead Brewing is either just opened or close, just south of Burlington in Shelburne.  Check their Facebook page for more info.

- As far as hiking goes, the one trail I know of is to the top of Camel's Hump and is a serious schlep, especially if you take the long route.  Here is a website that should prove helpful:  Green Mountain Club trails near Waterbury

Have a fun trip!   :thumbup:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »

- girlfriend

Sounds familiar...

Me: "I need to road trip to vermont to get beer for Bracfest."

Wife: "Where in vermont?"

Me: "Northeast Kingdom, at a barn on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere.  About 4 hours away."

Wife: *icy stare*

Me:  "You're welcome to come along..."

Wife: *shakes head* *walks away*
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:53 AM »
Vermont Pub and Brewery is literally half a block from Flatbread.  You can easily walk over after Flatbread for a beer on the patio.  Flatbread tends to be busy, but if you get there early, you will get in just fine.  Pearl Street Beverage isn't far from there either with a pretty good selection.  Lots of good bars, restaurants and cafes in the Square Mall, cool shops as well. 

Ben and Jerry's is fun.  Free samples after the tour, or you can just walk the grounds and hit up the walk up window for some ice cream.  Tara loves it there, but she is obcessed with Ben and Jerry's.

Geez this implies you've been some beery places that I haven't been to :o:

Somehow, I've missed Vermont in all my beery travels, something I need to overcome in the not too distant future.  I think I may have briefly passed through on the way home from Montreal (when I lived in Boston) but that was so long ago and it was a fraternity pledge trip, so I probably wasn't very aware.  :bag:
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 07:27:17 AM »
Since you are going with the GF, don't sit at the bar at Vermont Pub & Brewery.  Trust me on this one.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
Since you are going with the GF, don't sit at the bar at Vermont Pub & Brewery.  Trust me on this one.
:goodposting: 

Or, if you see a load of glasses being brought to the dish washing area, suggest that she check out the brewhouse downstairs.  :yes:

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 09:55:26 AM »
if you were in southern VT i would have told you on july 3rd to come to CT for my 4th o july party!  it's only like 2 hours away. ;)

but, VT is awesome... you guys are going to have a great time... definitely make sure you hit up ben & jerry's or else you will regret it!  also, cabot cheese is somewhere in VT up northish and they do a good tour too. 

i would also recommend magic hat... while their beers are so-so, their tour is really fun and your girlfriend would like it.  it's in burlington.

the shed is okay...  the only reason why i would go there is if you head over to stowe mountain (because it's right there) and take a lift ride to the top.  you should definitely try to do that at one of the mountains up there, the views are BEAUTIFUL and because it's the 4th of July, I'm fairly certain at least one mountain will have some awesome fireworks party...

do not miss the alchemist (their mussels are sooo yummy) or american flatbread.  vermont pub is okay, definitely worth stopping in because you are seriously right there.

avoid mcneil's in southern vermont.  it's a dive bar and all their beers taste like shit.  the only one worth drinking is a black IPA, otherwise they all taste like ringworm.   :puke:

there is also otter creek and long trail (NH), but i would spend my time at alchemist and hill farmstead if i was going.  :thumbup:

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
I've never been to Rock Art, but their beer is definitely worth seeking out.

:blackdot:

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 10:07:49 AM »
I've never been to Rock Art, but their beer is definitely worth seeking out.

:blackdot:

:goodposting:

Offline Naproxen

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • Never Odd or Even
    • Say it loud, say it proud!
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »
you suck

Skip the tour and just sneak into the end for the free small sample, or just buy yourself a cup outside.
[younger35] 12:25 am: Just on weekends dick
[Squid] 12:25 am: you only have dick on weekends, younger?
[bakes] 12:25 am: Your dick wears a helmet on weekends?

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
you suck

Skip the tour and just sneak into the end for the free small sample, or just buy yourself a cup outside.

Must be a rough tour... :nutkick:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »

Geez this implies you've been some beery places that I haven't been to :o:

Somehow, I've missed Vermont in all my beery travels, something I need to overcome in the not too distant future.  I think I may have briefly passed through on the way home from Montreal (when I lived in Boston) but that was so long ago and it was a fraternity pledge trip, so I probably wasn't very aware.  :bag:
I may be stuck at home a lot due to work, but I do travel when I get the chance.   <_<

I have family in Burlington and I will hang out in that town any chance I can get.  Love it there.    :thumbup:

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
you suck

kind of quick and easy won't take a lot of your time and nice scoop of ice cream might clean the palate for some more beer  <_< feel free to buy me LUM some Hill Farm Saisons  ;)
Wanna suck it?

ISO: Coitus Beard Chicken Milk Porter

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
you suck

kind of quick and easy won't take a lot of your time and nice scoop of ice cream might clean the palate for some more beer  <_< feel free to buy me Deco some Hill Farm Saisons  ;)
:mellow:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »
you suck

kind of quick and easy won't take a lot of your time and nice scoop of ice cream might clean the palate for some more beer  <_< feel free to buy me Deco EVERYONE some Hill Farm Saisons  ;)
:mellow:

:yes:

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 10:01:30 PM »
Note re Hill Farmstead:  Cash only.  Fill your wallet before venturing up to the top of the hill.

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
firm up your plans Steve?   :popcorn:

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »
As for Waterbury, Blackback is right across the street from Alchemist so you need to stop there for sure, then down the street on the same side just a hop, skip, and a jump is the Reservoir which has a pretty solid draft selection.  Enjoy, VT it's a blast  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:11:56 PM by BeerTruth »

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »
As for Waterbury, Blackback is right across the street from Alchemist so you need to stop there for sure, then down the street on the same side just a hop, skip, and a jump is the Reservoir which has a pretty solid draft selection.  Enjoy, VT it's a blast  :thumbup:

I remember TipTop and I looking out the window, thinking about it for a minute, and saying "...nah!" but we were already 4 hours in to the Alchemist.

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »

I remember TipTop and I looking out the window, thinking about it for a minute, and saying "...nah!" but we were already 4 hours in to the Alchemist.

They pretty much always have at least three Hill Farmstead beers on tap...and their whiskey selection ain't too shabby either.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »

They pretty much always have at least three Hill Farmstead beers on tap...and their whiskey selection ain't too shabby either.

Yeah, just what I didn't need after 3 beers at American Flatbread, 7 at Vermont Pub and Brewery, and 12 (8 Heady Toppers) at Alchemist would've been whiskey...  :drunk:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

Yeah, just what I didn't need after 3 beers at American Flatbread, 7 at Vermont Pub and Brewery, and 12 (8 Heady Toppers) at Alchemist would've been whiskey...  :drunk:
Yeah...I love whiskey, but I don't think it'd end well if I start drinking it after a long evening at Alchemist.

I am very, very looking forward to this weekend.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »
I'd say stop by on the way through if you're taking the route through Albany, but we'll be on the Cape.  :shrug:  Have a kickass trip! :thumbup:

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 12:44:18 AM »

Yeah...I love whiskey, but I don't think it'd end well if I start drinking it after a long evening at Alchemist.

I am very, very looking forward to this weekend.

Very, VERY jealous.

Have fun!
Wanna suck it?

ISO: Coitus Beard Chicken Milk Porter

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:20 PM »
We haven't really confirmed any plans other than what was already posted in here.  See how tired we are after the drive on Friday...I'm sure I'll be able to hit up Alchemist.  Saturday we plan on hiking during the day, then hitting up Rock Art and Hill Farmstead in the afternoon before returning to Waterbury...plan on eating at the Alchemist and spending a lot of time there.  Sunday probably go for a hike somewhere between Waterbury and Burlington, check into the hotel, get some food (Flatbread?) and beer in Burlington, then drive home on Monday.

If there's more time, we'll fit more in...

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »
Hill Farmstead is incredible

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2011, 06:45:16 PM »
Did you go to Alchemist last night?

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2011, 09:53:54 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
Went there last night, and it is all I dreamed it would be.  We didn't get into town until very late on Friday night, unfortunately...but I made up for it.

Beers were awesome, food was good, was a cool crowd...not too busy, but not a dead zone either.

They didn't have any Heady Topper, sadly.  Holy Cow IPA, Rapture IPA, Wild Child (sour), Pappys Porter, Celia Saison, Sass Mouth (saison)...all awesome....I'm moving a bit slower this morning  :hangover:

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
Went there last night, and it is all I dreamed it would be.  We didn't get into town until very late on Friday night, unfortunately...but I made up for it.

Beers were awesome, food was good, was a cool crowd...not too busy, but not a dead zone either.

They didn't have any Heady Topper, sadly.  Holy Cow IPA, Rapture IPA, Wild Child (sour), Pappys Porter, Celia Saison, Sass Mouth (saison)...all awesome....I'm moving a bit slower this morning  :hangover:

I had that on tap and downstairs where the owner brews the beers out of the barrel... Has to be one of the best beers I have ever had  :-[

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »

:cry:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »

Sometimes it's on tap and not on the menu.  Did you ask for it?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »

nice week :thumbup:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »

:lol:  I don't think I was too obnoxiously drunk, but I do remember having a hard time not continually raving everything about Alchemist, even on the ride back to bakes' place.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »

:lol:  I don't think I was too obnoxiously drunk, but I do remember having a hard time not continually raving everything about Alchemist, even on the ride back to bakes' place.

:D  Stopped to get gas in Rutland and I think I recall something along the lines of "Too late to head back?"

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »

Sometimes it's on tap and not on the menu.  Did you ask for it?
I asked when they'd have it...he said in a few weeks.  The menu said "keep an eye out for Heady Topper later in the month"..

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
 :coffee:

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »