search

Author Topic: cleveland recs that aren't the obvious ones  (Read 1486 times)

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: cleveland recs that aren't the obvious ones
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
Several of my college friends that still live in the Cleveland area have posted their Brewnuts trips. Seems like a great place!
Do they recommend any other spots?
I’ve got Lilly Chocolate and Sweetie’s on the list for the chocolate-addict i’m married to. :mellow:

The dessert menu at Lola is bonkers. They have this fine dining version of a s'mores sundae. So good.

I loved Mitchell's ice cream. I worked at a summer camp outside of Cleveland for a few summers and the key lime pie ice cream was the best.

There's a soda shop called Sweet Moses that is fun. A little touristy but good.
Might have to get dessert at Lola after Mabel’s, they’re right next door :cheers:

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2020, 07:46:47 AM »
Several of my college friends that still live in the Cleveland area have posted their Brewnuts trips. Seems like a great place!
I’ve got Lilly Chocolate and Sweetie’s on the list for the chocolate-addict i’m married to. :mellow:

The dessert menu at Lola is bonkers. They have this fine dining version of a s'mores sundae. So good.

I loved Mitchell's ice cream. I worked at a summer camp outside of Cleveland for a few summers and the key lime pie ice cream was the best.

Might have to get dessert at Lola after Mabel’s, they’re right next door :cheers:

Symon also has a number of B-Spot burger restaurants - same signature burger as at Lola for less $.  Fries are unapologetically fried in pork fat. Damn good tap list.  Highly recommended - not a celebrity chef restaurant kind of person (hello, Guy Fieri) but Symon takes a lot of pride in his craft, and the food I have had at his places is legit good shit.  I NEED THAT FUCKING PASTRAMI RUBBED RIB!!!!

Melt is also solid, but the "holy fuck" amount of food - Tasker once downed a whole Monte Cristo in one sitting that made me wonder if his stomach was a damn Tardis.  He was in a food coma for the next two hours.

This thread has me so fucking hungry for pastrami I could kill something, cure it, roll it in coriander and pepper, and smoke it.  Damn.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2020, 08:48:10 AM »

This thread has me so fucking hungry for pastrami I could kill something, cure it, roll it in coriander and pepper, and smoke it.  Damn.

local grocery was sampling pastrami, swiss and rye sandwiches last night.  as soon a i walked in the doors i could smell it.  made a beeline for the deli and bought a pound of pastrami and some swiss.

didn't get to eat it last night but i'm already salivating thinking about dinner tonight.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »

Symon also has a number of B-Spot burger restaurants - same signature burger as at Lola for less $.  Fries are unapologetically fried in pork fat. Damn good tap list.  Highly recommended - not a celebrity chef restaurant kind of person (hello, Guy Fieri) but Symon takes a lot of pride in his craft, and the food I have had at his places is legit good shit.  I NEED THAT FUCKING PASTRAMI RUBBED RIB!!!!

Melt is also solid, but the "holy fuck" amount of food - Tasker once downed a whole Monte Cristo in one sitting that made me wonder if his stomach was a damn Tardis.  He was in a food coma for the next two hours.

:D
Definitely plan to get my share of Cleveland pastrami & deli meats. Melt is on the table, due to someone's obsession with grilled cheese. It does look like a mountain of food, will try to avoid that. Planning to eat light to squeeze in a couple extra places here and there to try out.

Thanks for the recs! :thumbup:

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
You guys, this place makes craft beer donuts in CLE. :coffee:

Gonna need a warning on this thread, what with all the food pr0n. :mellow:

Edit: with a pinball parlor next door! :excited:

Worlds collide!  That sounds like a slice of heaven.

Speaking of pinball, thought you'd appreciate this mural...

Full Tilt by Ryan Jaenke, Ohio City
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:17:37 PM by emerge »

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2020, 03:33:35 PM »
You guys, this place makes craft beer donuts in CLE. :coffee:

Gonna need a warning on this thread, what with all the food pr0n. :mellow:

Edit: with a pinball parlor next door! :excited:

Worlds collide!  That sounds like a slice of heaven.

Speaking of pinball, thought you'd appreciate this mural...

Full Tilt by Ryan Jaenke, Ohio City

Very cool :thumbup:

Offline chi_dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2020, 11:08:24 PM »

Agree on both. Taps at Melt are usually pretty top notch as well. B Spot's Lola fries are great, and the boozy milkshakes are stupid good.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2020, 10:17:17 PM »
Any lesser known neighborhoods to check out?

So far i’ve got Tremont, Ohio City, Cleveland Heights. A few places in Lakewood. Planning to walk around Gordon Square arts district, where the pinball/donut nexus is. I think there’s a Cavs game on Sat. so we’ll be trying to avoid downtown then.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2020, 11:07:16 PM »

So far i’ve got Tremont, Ohio City, Cleveland Heights. A few places in Lakewood. Planning to walk around Gordon Square arts district, where the pinball/donut nexus is. I think there’s a Cavs game on Sat. so we’ll be trying to avoid downtown then.

I think Tremont and Ohio City would be the best neighborhoods I'd recommend to be honest. It's definitely a residential city, so it's hard to find a huge concentration of night life, more like each neighborhood has their own great spots. I'd say those two probably have the best younger, hipper, feel.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2020, 11:51:01 PM »

I think Tremont and Ohio City would be the best neighborhoods I'd recommend to be honest. It's definitely a residential city, so it's hard to find a huge concentration of night life, more like each neighborhood has their own great spots. I'd say those two probably have the best younger, hipper, feel.
Cool, thanks! It does look like a lot of good stuff is spread out, though there’s a high concentration of cool stuff in those two. We have a couple days, but probably not enough time for all i’d like to cram in. January is hardly strolling weather too, despite how much I like wandering neighborhoods.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2020, 05:32:15 PM »
One more potential stop - there's a small chain that started in the Cleveland area called Winking Lizard. Great beer list and wings. The rest of the food is pretty average. A few of their shops have a specialty beer shop and whiskey bar called Lizardville. I think there are two in the Cleveland area, Bedford and Lakewood. If you have a chance to stop in, they usually have a great bottle selection. Jackie O's just did a huge bottle shipment to all of them and I was able to stop in the Columbus location and get a few bottles that are normally brewery only.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2020, 10:43:21 PM »
One more potential stop - there's a small chain that started in the Cleveland area called Winking Lizard. Great beer list and wings. The rest of the food is pretty average. A few of their shops have a specialty beer shop and whiskey bar called Lizardville. I think there are two in the Cleveland area, Bedford and Lakewood. If you have a chance to stop in, they usually have a great bottle selection. Jackie O's just did a huge bottle shipment to all of them and I was able to stop in the Columbus location and get a few bottles that are normally brewery only.
Thanks for the info, I did check one of their taplists recently and it looked good. They did a Jackie O’s tap takeover there in the past I guess. Looking at the map, i’ve got about a dozen places marked in Lakewood... :unsure: Wasn’t really planning to go out that way but there’s a new taco spot Hola Tacos, Buckeye Beer Engine, Rozi’s and a few others.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
Saucisson, pork & pistachio terrine :o

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 02:20:36 PM »
NEED :o
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
NEED :o
Wonder how much meat I can stuff in my carry-on... :coffee:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2020, 05:07:35 PM »
is that as gelatinous in texture as it appears?

Online flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2020, 05:18:09 PM »

YOU DON'T LIKE MEAT JELLO??

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 10:54:44 PM »

YOU DON'T LIKE MEAT JELLO??

Terrines and headcheese typically have some gelatin as a binder, not all terrines do though. It melts if you heat it, but it’s very tasty as is.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
Hopefully
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline stoney

• Quadrupel
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »

Pastrami:

You guys don't actually eat things like this do you?

I don't know man, maybe it's just my preference for ultra-lean meats like venison and pork, but that wad of fat on there looks disgusting to me.

And gelatinous headcheese? That was something my Grandma would have tried to force me to eat.

TETO I guess, but no "charcuterie" is likely to enter the sacred temple of my body.

Just, you know, beer and booze and such.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2020, 01:33:39 PM »
I like lean meats, but something like that pastrami would get destroyed.  I've had a few terrines, and I'm not sold on them.  Not gross, but not amazing either.  I stay well clear of straight organ meat (liver, kidney, heart, etc), though I know it all goes into different sausages and cased meats.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2020, 01:48:27 PM »

Pastrami:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/GIa2xQE.png[/img

You guys don't actually eat things like this do you?

I don't know man, maybe it's just my preference for ultra-lean meats like venison and pork, but that wad of fat on there looks disgusting to me.

And gelatinous headcheese? That was something my Grandma would have tried to force me to eat.

TETO I guess, but no "charcuterie" is likely to enter the sacred temple of my body.

Just, you know, beer and booze and such.

Of course :yes: Not everyday or even every month, but I do love me some fatty pastrami now and then. There are few things tastier, imho. I started eating headcheese from the Polish delis around here. The smoked tongue one is amazing. My diet is 90% vegetarian, so it balances out. :mellow:

Offline stoney

• Quadrupel
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
I like lean meats, but something like that pastrami would get destroyed.  I've had a few terrines, and I'm not sold on them.  Not gross, but not amazing either.  I stay well clear of straight organ meat (liver, kidney, heart, etc), though I know it all goes into different sausages and cased meats.

I similarly avoid most organ meats and sausages but I'd have to say fresh venison (deer) heart is pretty amazing, sautéed with onions and mushrooms.

If you haven't shot a big hole through it I mean.

I LOVE Rueben Sandwiches if the meat is lean enough. Sauerkraut and rye bread and mustard are all A-OK in my book.

I just hate the mouthfeel of fat and gristle. And anything "gelatinous" makes me want to vomit.

Those fatty sausages and such just have to be terrible for your health.

Not that ethyl alcohol isn't, of course.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »

I similarly avoid most organ meats and sausages but I'd have to say fresh venison (deer) heart is pretty amazing, sautéed with onions and mushrooms.

I LOVE Rueben Sandwiches if the meat is lean enough. Sauerkraut and rye bread and mustard are all A-OK in my book.

I just hate the mouthfeel of fat and gristle. And anything "gelatinous" makes me want to vomit.

I think fatty beef has to be served hot, where it basically melts. Cold gelatinous fat is unappealing, i'll give you that. Fat = flavor, so it has it's role in flavoring the final product. It's pretty trimmable too if you don't want to eat it.

Offline stoney

• Quadrupel
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »

I think fatty beef has to be served hot, where it basically melts. Cold gelatinous fat is unappealing, i'll give you that. Fat = flavor, so it has it's role in flavoring the final product. It's pretty trimmable too if you don't want to eat it.

Well, OK.

I shall TRY your gristly pastrami as long as I could cut the wad of fat off.

I know fat = flavor because you have to ADD beef or pork fat to venison burger or else you get a grilled hockey puck.

A little ring of fat around a pork chop is OK.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2020, 02:19:03 PM »

Well, OK.

I shall TRY your gristly pastrami as long as I could cut the wad of fat off.

I know fat = flavor because you have to ADD beef or pork fat to venison burger or else you get a grilled hockey puck.

A little ring of fat around a pork chop is OK.
Similarly, if you smoke pastrami without any fat it would dry the meat out.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2020, 02:27:34 PM »
Give me all the warm melty fat. Moist brisket, medium rare ribeye, pastrami.  ;D Gristle, no, but fat is a resounding yes. Especially slightly charred fat from a steak.

Also a big yes on that headcheese and almost any form of charcuterie and I'll try just about any organ meat. I hated the beef liver and onions that my mom used to get at the cafeteria style restaurant growing up, but I've had really good locally sourced beef liver in Austin. I'll try just about anything once.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2020, 11:12:44 AM »
Great Lakes is closing their brewpub for "refurbishing"... must've heard I was coming. :D

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/01/great-lakes-brewing-co-brewpub-to-shut-down-for-refresh.html

Oh well, plenty of other breweries to see now. :cheers:

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
I’m curious if anyone is doing wild or mixed ferm sour stuff besides Jolly Pumpkin.

For sours, Pretentious is a young and promising brewery that you may want to track down. They seem to be available in bottleshops around Cleveland - https://www.pretentiousbarrelhouse.com/cleveland

I'm not sure of any Cleveland breweries focused on sours.

From what i’ve read, BottleHouse has a barrel program and doing wild fermentation. Saucy has experimented with Brett and has a sour blonde ale, plus a gose and sour IPA on draft currently.

Note to self, JP isn’t in OH. Guess I was thinking distro-wise in the state.

:thumbup:

I just remembered another wild/sour brewery that has gained a bunch of attention lately is Urban Artifact. Based out of Cincy. We get a ton in Columbus, but not sure on Cleveland area. I think Gadget is their most popular and pretty tasty. They're releasing their 2nd round in their Epicurean series. Supposed to be pretty great stuff.

Looks like Platform opened a dedicated taproom for wild beers in October. :excited:
Honestly I really wasn't planning to check them out, but now this sounds like a must...
Damn you ABInbev. :mellow:

First Look: Phunkenship, Platform Beer's Sour-Aging Facility and Taproom

https://untappd.com/v/phunkenship/9363514

https://g.page/Phunkenship?share

..and there's a bocce court :excited: :yes:

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2020, 09:28:38 AM »
..and i'm spent.

Found a newer project in Cleveland that does sour beers, a side project of Bottle House.

https://craft-collective.co/

Craft Collective looks promising, sounds a lot like the Platform/Phunkenship situation...dedicated space for aging sour beers.

I noticed a guest draft at CC from "Antiques on High" in Columbus. Their beers sound cool. Chi_Dave> any last minute wisdom? TIA :cheers:

Damn, look at their cowboy glass. :o :tumbleweed: :ale:

PS: Leaving in 2 days :pickle:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2020, 10:54:33 PM »
That Craft Collective place looks like a great spot. Cool story about how it came to be, and the tap list is stacked. Never been, but it's on my list now.

AOH is a branch of Seventh Son. I really like the Humulus Nimbus, it's my local replacement for Daisy Cutter. I haven't been to AOH, but the few things I've had on tap elsewhere has been decent.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2020, 09:21:22 AM »
That Craft Collective place looks like a great spot. Cool story about how it came to be, and the tap list is stacked. Never been, but it's on my list now.

AOH is a branch of Seventh Son. I really like the Humulus Nimbus, it's my local replacement for Daisy Cutter. I haven't been to AOH, but the few things I've had on tap elsewhere has been decent.

Cool, good to know! :thumbup:
The CC space looks like it's part of a larger complex of food stalls and stuff. Might be another hidden gem in there, but someone mentioned Brassica next door, which sounds good. Falafel & veggie stuff will be a hit with my wife and it looks like they have brisket and lamb for me. :thumbup:

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2020, 10:05:28 PM »

Cool, good to know! :thumbup:
The CC space looks like it's part of a larger complex of food stalls and stuff. Might be another hidden gem in there, but someone mentioned Brassica next door, which sounds good. Falafel & veggie stuff will be a hit with my wife and it looks like they have brisket and lamb for me. :thumbup:

We have Brassica in Columbus and it's my wife's go-to for lunch anytime she can make it work. That or Bibibop. Both are pretty good for a quick casual bite.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2020, 11:15:16 PM »
Just over here waiting for updates...

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2020, 09:56:09 PM »

Dammit. Tried to post yesterday but guess it didn’t happen.  :shrug:

Larder was awesome. Bookhouse won best brewery/vibe award, the MoCA museum show was really worth the trip. Big art museum is free also and really cool, going back tomorrow.

Spent the day on the west side today. Sokolowski’s yesterday was awesome, very old school, stick to your ribs fare. Did some art and record shopping, pinball and the west side market were highlights. :thumbup:

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2020, 08:54:11 PM »
OOF :deadbanana:

Updates incoming. Managed about 35 places in 3 days, including just popping in random shops and stuff. Hit about 10-12 beer places, 8 breweries.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
The Sandwiches of Cleveland*
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2020, 11:24:14 AM »
Sandwiches, perhaps the finest innovation of modern eating.
Let's start with the best...

Pastrami at Larder. Holy shit this was good. Juicy and smoky with a silky texture.

Brisket, egg, & cheddar bagel at Lox, Stock, & Brisket. Very tasty, moist and the griddled pieces were nicely crispy.

Braised lamb with greens and farmers cheese at Larder. This was amazing. :bow:

Glazed lamb bacon pita at Brassica. Pita was super fresh, maybe the best i've had. Lamb was a little chewy but it was super tasty.

*now with poutine
Vladimir poutine at Banter. Super good, not the prettiest. Frites | braised Ohio lamb stroganov | mushroom | borscht gravy | curds | orange zest

Pastrami at Sokolowski's. First stop, loved the bites of mac & cheese and pierogi my wife had, but this sandwich was just ok. Had some stringy bits, get whatever they have in the steam tray line instead. This place was one of the coolest we went to, super old school vibe.

Sad little fried chicken slider at Banter. Who thought a nugget on a bun was a good idea? :chooch:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2020, 11:31:45 AM »
I'm on board with the concept of that sad little slider, but it needs at least 2x that much chicken.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2020, 11:52:03 AM »
I'm on board with the concept of that sad little slider, but it needs at least 2x that much chicken.
Yeah, I thought if it was a "mini-schnitzel" sort of thing that would work. It was literally a nugget though, honestly I thought it may have been frozen. It was a joke to charge $3 for that.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
Re: The Sandwiches of Cleveland*
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »

Pastrami at Larder. Holy shit this was good. Juicy and smoky with a silky texture.

Holy hell. We were just talking about heading up this summer for a game. I think this solidified the plan.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: The Sandwiches of Cleveland*
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2020, 12:10:38 PM »

Holy hell. We were just talking about heading up this summer for a game. I think this solidified the plan.
:thumbup:
Larder was excellent, everything we tried was great. Brought back some venison salami and dry cured ribeye. :excited:
That pastrami though... :deadbanana:

Missed Mabel's unfortunately. Never got the timing right, even though it was a block from the hotel.

Online flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2020, 12:11:48 PM »
Now I want to go to Cleveland

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2020, 12:01:10 AM »
Beer-wise, I enjoyed Bookhouse, Noble Beast, and Phunkenship. Fatheads/FFF Special Hoperations was good but nothing better than what’s available here. There was some local chatter about it. Skipped Platform and Masthead. Nano and Terrestrial were ok, Bottlehouse was pretty good. Saucy was average...their lager was oxidized, and I mentioned it to the bartender when asked. They tried to play it off as “oh, palates are just subjective” and avoided us after that. :rolleyes:

One of the more interesting packaged beers was Levitation from Freethought in NY. A “ botanical sour ale” with pineapple, turmeric, lemongrass and makrut lime leaf. Dry hopped with Mouteka & Mosaic.

Urban Artifact had a good bloody mary beer, but a couple of theirs just tasted like tart fruit juice.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2020, 01:40:26 AM »
Beer-wise, I enjoyed Bookhouse, Noble Beast, and Phunkenship. Fatheads/FFF Special Hoperations was good but nothing better than what’s available here. There was some local chatter about it. Skipped Platform and Masthead. Nano and Terrestrial were ok, Bottlehouse was pretty good. Saucy was average...their lager was oxidized, and I mentioned it to the bartender when asked. They tried to play it off as “oh, palates are just subjective” and avoided us after that. :rolleyes:

One of the more interesting packaged beers was Levitation from Freethought in NY. A “ botanical sour ale” with pineapple, turmeric, lemongrass and makrut lime leaf. Dry hopped with Mouteka & Mosaic.

Urban Artifact had a good bloody mary beer, but a couple of theirs just tasted like tart fruit juice.
Well Jeez, you started this thread, it seemed you were asking for beer recs... you've provided so much more that now I'm thinking a swing through Clevelened on an up coming northeastely trip might be in order... and I thought I knew a little about Cleveland (I have enjoyed most all my visits there)

So imbibing mimes wanna know... did you get really touristy and visit the Rock and Roll HOF?  We actually enjoyed a visit to what you can see without paying admission... you mentioned recrds, they got a pretty good record shop there...
non-conformists are all the same...

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »

Well Jeez, you started this thread, it seemed you were asking for beer recs... you've provided so much more that now I'm thinking a swing through Clevelened on an up coming northeastely trip might be in order... and I thought I knew a little about Cleveland (I have enjoyed most all my visits there)

So imbibing mimes wanna know... did you get really touristy and visit the Rock and Roll HOF?  We actually enjoyed a visit to what you can see without paying admission... you mentioned recrds, they got a pretty good record shop there...
Ender started it, I only revived it to chat about CLE ;) Didn’t know anything about the beer scene.
First time there, so Chi_Dave’s recs were great. I like to go big on trips, and get locals input.

Didn’t do the HOF, or much else downtown really. We got into the neighborhoods a lot, where there’s a ton of good stuff. Lots of new breweries in the last few years, and great food there too.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2020, 09:18:48 AM »
not great lakes, not that belgian place right by great lakes

How about the place up the street from the belgian place right by great lakes? :) ;)
This is only funny to me, probably.  :bag:

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Cleveland highlight reel
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2020, 10:34:59 AM »
But wait, there's more! I realized I didn't really do highlights besides beer and sandwiches.

***Official*** highlight reel:

Lydia's Hungarian Strudel
- excellent fruit pastries here, good place to stock up for quick breakfast items

Sweetie's - world's 2nd largest candy store, tons of nostalgia and obscure things, a seasonal soda fountain, especially fun with kids i'd imagine

Sokolowski's - dripping with old school atmosphere, cafeteria style service, stick to your ribs Polish fare

Mack's Beverage - dingy store by the airport (Parma) with a huge beer selection, owner was a character, knew his stuff. picked up Melvin beer from WY.

CMoA art museum - large with a lot to see, we beelined for a modern Swedish textiles exhibit & contemporary artist Liu Wei's architectural ruins made from rawhide.

MoCA art museum - Margaret Kilgallen show, the impetus of the trip. A favorite artist of mine for 25 years. Saw this twice and also went back to CMoA for a Tiffany glass show.

Noble Beast Brewing - Laid back with a lot of regulars, good music, good beer, good food. Obatzda!

Bent Crayon Records/78th Street art studios - This was a trip, a record store in a huge warehouse full of art studios. It was like finding a treasure room in a maze.

Bookhouse Brewing - putting this here too, great beer and a very relaxed vibe. books all over you can grab and browse

Superelectric - very cool pinball parlor, lots of old ones with a few newer ones like Stranger Things, and a classic multi-game arcade. Family friendly.

Hausfrau Records - great record shop by Superelectric. i'd read it was mostly punk & jazz, but our friends were spending a lot of time in there, so we joined them and got a few records before they closed. (lots of dub 45's and albums, KingG> hey) Picked up Eno (& Fripp), Adult., Led Er Est, De Fabriek, and The Column.

Larder - holy shit, this was probably my favorite place. amazing food, very cool space in an old firehouse, complete with the 2-story pole and everything.

Craft Collective - Far away from the city center in Shaker Heights, located in a newer planned retail/residential complex that was hipper than most of these i've seen. large open hangout space with barrels/fouders aging wild beer in the front window. Wide variety of beer, cider, mead from Bottlehouse and well curated guest taps from smaller regional brewers. Great food at Brassica next door.

Stump - very cool plant shop near Craft Collective. they had these floating Japanese moss balls i've only seen before online.

Loganberry Books - sprawling old-school bookstore with lots of antique stuff and affordable new/used books.

Lowlights: Saucy (oxidized beer & indifferent bartender), Banter (sterile vibe, slow service, good food), The Arcade Hyatt (nice rooms & historic space, but idiots yodeling at 3-5am), SP Parking next door ($20 a night to park overnight for a "special event").

Probably forgot a few things, but this is a good chunk of it!

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2020, 10:38:40 AM »
man, you crammed a lot in to a few days.

well done