search

Author Topic: cleveland recs that aren't the obvious ones  (Read 3314 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: cleveland recs that aren't the obvious ones
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2020, 11:07:02 AM »
But wait, there's more! I realized I didn't really do highlights besides beer and sandwiches.

***Official*** highlight reel:

Lydia's Hungarian Strudel
- excellent fruit pastries here, good place to stock up for quick breakfast items

Sweetie's - world's 2nd largest candy store, tons of nostalgia and obscure things, a seasonal soda fountain, especially fun with kids i'd imagine

Sokolowski's - dripping with old school atmosphere, cafeteria style service, stick to your ribs Polish fare

Mack's Beverage - dingy store by the airport (Parma) with a huge beer selection, owner was a character, knew his stuff. picked up Melvin beer from WY.

CMoA art museum - large with a lot to see, we beelined for a modern Swedish textiles exhibit & contemporary artist Liu Wei's architectural ruins made from rawhide.

MoCA art museum - Margaret Kilgallen show, the impetus of the trip. A favorite artist of mine for 25 years. Saw this twice and also went back to CMoA for a Tiffany glass show.

Noble Beast Brewing - Laid back with a lot of regulars, good music, good beer, good food. Obatzda!

Bent Crayon Records/78th Street art studios - This was a trip, a record store in a huge warehouse full of art studios. It was like finding a treasure room in a maze.

Bookhouse Brewing - putting this here too, great beer and a very relaxed vibe. books all over you can grab and browse

Superelectric - very cool pinball parlor, lots of old ones with a few newer ones like Stranger Things, and a classic multi-game arcade. Family friendly.

Hausfrau Records - great record shop by Superelectric. i'd read it was mostly punk & jazz, but our friends were spending a lot of time in there, so we joined them and got a few records before they closed. (lots of dub 45's and albums, KingG> hey) Picked up Eno (& Fripp), Adult., Led Er Est, De Fabriek, and The Column.

Larder - holy shit, this was probably my favorite place. amazing food, very cool space in an old firehouse, complete with the 2-story pole and everything.

Craft Collective - Far away from the city center in Shaker Heights, located in a newer planned retail/residential complex that was hipper than most of these i've seen. large open hangout space with barrels/fouders aging wild beer in the front window. Wide variety of beer, cider, mead from Bottlehouse and well curated guest taps from smaller regional brewers. Great food at Brassica next door.

Stump - very cool plant shop near Craft Collective. they had these floating Japanese moss balls i've only seen before online.

Loganberry Books - sprawling old-school bookstore with lots of antique stuff and affordable new/used books.

Lowlights: Saucy (oxidized beer & indifferent bartender), Banter (sterile vibe, slow service, good food), The Arcade Hyatt (nice rooms & historic space, but idiots yodeling at 3-5am), SP Parking next door ($20 a night to park overnight for a "special event").

Probably forgot a few things, but this is a good chunk of it!

man, you crammed a lot in to a few days.

well done
We did hang out longer at places we liked, and I feel like we made it to at least 2/3 of all the places I had on my list.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:38:04 PM by emerge »

Offline chi_dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2020, 10:02:26 PM »
Saucy is everywhere in cans here... and pretty meh. They are apparently opening a spot here in Columbus but it was supposed to open months ago.

Glad to hear so many other spots made the trip worth it.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2020, 10:43:43 PM »
Saucy is everywhere in cans here... and pretty meh. They are apparently opening a spot here in Columbus but it was supposed to open months ago.

Glad to hear so many other spots made the trip worth it.
Yeah i’d skip them next time. Didn’t try the food but it looked decent. Bound to have a few hits and misses when trying to cover so much ground. I regret not making it to Mabel’s, but will make a point to the next time around.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: The Sandwiches of Cleveland*
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2020, 11:36:32 AM »

Braised lamb with greens and farmers cheese at Larder. This was amazing. :bow:

Still dreaming about this lamb. :wub: Thinking about smoking a shoulder and doing something like this or a stew...

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2020, 08:28:01 AM »

Still dreaming about this lamb. :wub: Thinking about smoking a shoulder and doing something like this or a stew...

I must hit Larder on the way through next time.  And bring a spare stomach or three. :drool:

Damn, I have not seen a Future Spa pinball machine in almost 40 years.  I looked at the pic and I could smell the inside of the old Aladdins Castle arcade right down to the attendant wearing Jovan Musk for Men and trying too hard to be cool. Anyway, it's a solid target shooting machine.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »

I must hit Larder on the way through next time.  And bring a spare stomach or three. :drool:

Damn, I have not seen a Future Spa pinball machine in almost 40 years.  I looked at the pic and I could smell the inside of the old Aladdins Castle arcade right down to the attendant wearing Jovan Musk for Men and trying too hard to be cool. Anyway, it's a solid target shooting machine.
:thumbup: Get a whole pastrami for the cooler. :excited:

The theme of those 3 pinball machines... it's almost like the designers put their own faces in the game or something. Unless there was a running theme of middle-aged mustachioed white guys in 70's pinball games. The guy in Future Spa reminded me of a more svelte Ron Jeremy. :mellow:

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2020, 09:32:56 AM »

:thumbup: Get a whole pastrami for the cooler. :excited:

The theme of those 3 pinball machines... it's almost like the designers put their own faces in the game or something. Unless there was a running theme of middle-aged mustachioed white guys in 70's pinball games. The guy in Future Spa reminded me of a more svelte Ron Jeremy. :mellow:

They were frequently the designers, a la "Gunslinger" from the pinball article that was posted here recently.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2020, 11:34:16 PM »
Actually got close to Cleveland without going all the way there this past weekend, and found plenty to get into, mostly around Cuyahoga Falls and Akron.  Was taking the long way home from a Bruery pickup in DC.  Some really great breweries in Cuyahoga Falls, Missing Mountain and HiHO Brewing.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2020, 07:36:29 AM »
local just got Cincinnatus from Listermann on shelves

any good?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2020, 10:13:31 AM »
Actually got close to Cleveland without going all the way there this past weekend, and found plenty to get into, mostly around Cuyahoga Falls and Akron.  Was taking the long way home from a Bruery pickup in DC.  Some really great breweries in Cuyahoga Falls, Missing Mountain and HiHO Brewing.
Added these to my to-do list. :thumbup:

any good?
Listermann has medaled at FoBAB more than once, so i'd say it's worth a try. A couple reviews mention vinous grape skin notes, if that's your bag.

Edit: and maraschino :-X
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:22:28 AM by emerge »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »
:thumbup: worth a shot pending price point, looks like

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2020, 01:20:30 PM »
:thumbup: worth a shot pending price point, looks like
I've got a 4 pack or something that was sold as a vertical several years back... not sure where I put it.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2020, 10:57:12 PM »

any good?

Cincinnati beers in a Cleveland thread? Booo.

Never had Cincinnatus. Listermann makes solid NEIPAs.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2020, 09:16:17 AM »

any good?

:unsure: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMa20xXykI

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2020, 10:26:20 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2020, 10:57:58 PM »

any good?

:unsure: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMa20xXykI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
False. I did not see one Cleveland fish with AIDS.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2020, 11:08:33 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

the internet has given us many gifts.. this may be the most precious of them all.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »

:thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »
Sandwiches, perhaps the finest innovation of modern eating.
Let's start with the best...

Pastrami at Larder. Holy shit this was good. Juicy and smoky with a silky texture.

Just found this video on how they make their pastrami, pretty cool :thumbup:

Got stuck on this local channel that features local spots and road trip segments:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
A couple good Cleveland BBQ spots (Smokin’ Q’s & Barabicu Smokehouse) start around 9:32:

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2020, 12:43:27 AM »

It's always a good reminder of what it takes to run a bbq restaurant... you can try to do everything right, work 18 hours a day, and it all gets distilled down to the meat 'falling off the bone'.

Also, I hate the pre-pulled warmer full of pulled pork. It just turns to mush. It isn't that hard to keep a shoulder in the warmer and tear off/shred a section to order. 100000 times better.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2020, 09:12:08 PM »

It's always a good reminder of what it takes to run a bbq restaurant... you can try to do everything right, work 18 hours a day, and it all gets distilled down to the meat 'falling off the bone'.

Also, I hate the pre-pulled warmer full of pulled pork. It just turns to mush. It isn't that hard to keep a shoulder in the warmer and tear off/shred a section to order. 100000 times better.

Good point, I saw a place doing the whole shoulder method in TN, and they were foil wrapped too. Helen’s in Brownsville, TN.

There were a couple other Cleveland BBQ road trip vids on that channel, but a lot looked hit or miss.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2021, 11:30:35 AM »

MoCA art museum - Margaret Kilgallen show, the impetus of the trip. A favorite artist of mine for 25 years, saw this show twice.

Wish we could've driven back to CLE to see this show one last time, as MK is one of my all-time faves. Just wasn't in the cards due to covid. :( No plans for the show to travel either, unfortunately. I took a lot of photos, and still want to make a small book of the show.

Interestingly, this work^ from the show sold at auction last month for 228K. Her all time auction record was set in 2019 for 447K. :o Wish I had the $ to buy some work back in the late 90's, sadly she passed away in 2001.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »
http://chibbqking.blogspot.com/2021/04/eating-big-in-cleveland.html

Normally I like this guy's stuff, but after reading this blog post, I feel like we did way better eating in CLE.

I know the author really likes "road food", but from reading this, you'd think Cleveland was nothing but corned beef and chili dogs. :shrug: