search

Author Topic: Sailing to Philadelphia  (Read 1444 times)

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
Sailing to Philadelphia
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »
Off to Philly for the weekend (didn't even know I was going until today)  :blink:  - Nick has been contacted.  :cheers:  Hoping to hook up w/ him for a cold one or four while bakeswife and the kids do some swimming either tomorrow or Friday.  :banned:  Anyone else around, coordinate through Nick as I'll be on the road in 3...2...1... :driving:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: Sailing to Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »
Grabbing growlers from East End for bracfest?  :excited:

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »

East End is in Pittsburgh...  :coffee:  However, I may see another Mr. Baker over the weekend for a growler fill or two.  :yes:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 05:16:32 PM »

East End is in Pittsburgh...  :coffee:  However, I may see another Mr. Baker over the weekend for a growler fill or two.  :yes:

Oops.  Just was thinking PA I guess.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »
Great song. :thumbup:
Big Mark Knopfler fan.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline nchrist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »

Oops.  Just was thinking PA I guess.

According to google maps it only adds 9.5 hours :thumbdown: :cheers:

Offline NFLMVP

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »
Big Mark Knopfler fan.

:yes:

James Taylor, as the other half of the duet, doesn't hurt one bit.   :thumbup:
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 01:53:31 AM »
Big Mark Knopfler fan.

Picking up that album in DVD-A or SACD, forget which format, in the next few weeks.  :thumbup:

Hung out Thursday night w/ Nick at Nodding Head BP.  Good times, good beer.  Nick's getting his scruff on - maybe not Brac or MikeWeiss levels of fur but definitely impressive.   Good seeing ya again bud!  :cheers:

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Big Mark Knopfler fan.

Picking up that album in DVD-A or SACD, forget which format, in the next few weeks.  :thumbup:

Hung out Thursday night w/ Nick at Nodding Head BP.  Good times, good beer.  Nick's getting his scruff on - maybe not Brac or MikeWeiss levels of fur but definitely impressive.   Good seeing ya again bud!  :cheers:

How fitting!   :lol:

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »
Big Mark Knopfler fan.

How fitting!   :lol:

:lmao: :lmao:  As far as I remember I did not nod off either of the two times I was there.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Let us talk about Philly now.  Going the weekend of July 23rd.

The main purpose of the trip is to see the Union vs. Real Madrid that Saturday night.  The game as at the Linc in downtown.  Ideally, we'd prefer to leave a car at a hotel and take public transport around, if reasonable.  Where to stay?  We don't mind spending a bit of money on a hotel.

What's in the area?  Any good bars?  Walkable?  Talk to me...
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »

The main purpose of the trip is to see the Union vs. Real Madrid that Saturday night.  The game as at the Linc in downtown.  Ideally, we'd prefer to leave a car at a hotel and take public transport around, if reasonable.  Where to stay?  We don't mind spending a bit of money on a hotel.

The real question is, will there be a certain female along on this trip?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »

The real question is, will there be a certain female along on this trip?
We had a lengthy discussion about the trip this past week and he did not bring it up once, so I'm thinking no.

They have moved in together though....and they've been dating for approx 6 months now.  I know others who've done the same, but it still feels weird...so soon.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
Hotel wise, we got a solid deal on the Sheraton Philadelphia City Center - $83 a night and the rooms were fine.  No HDTV but really, who cares?  Indoor pool, seven block walk to Nodding Head...  :thumbup:  If you go on Hotwire and see a 3 1/2 star hotel in downtown or city center, that's likely it.

Reading Terminal Market - plenty of food choices.  Strongly recommend the cheesesteaks at Spataro's.

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
Tasker, play around with this map should give you some solid choices for your trip

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=philly
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
Tasker, play around with this map should give you some solid choices for your trip

Much appreciated.

Let us discuss further.  We will be staying in the Sheraton that Bakes suggested.  Where to eat dinner?  Apparently there are some soccer friendly bars not too far from there, so those could be a stop, but I'm thinking we'll probably want to get some beers before dinner.  My friends don't care about craft beer, but they'll go pretty much wherever I decide to go.

Nodding Head looks like it has pretty standard brewpub fare.  Is the food good?  What bars are worth a trip?  Keep in mind we've got really 1 day there and it has to be within walking/train distance from the hotel.  Realistically, we're looking at probably 1-2 bars in the mid-late afternoon, preferably something with good beer at dinner, overpaying for crap beer at the game, and then 1 bar after the game. The game won't end until 11 PM and we'll have to allow for the train, so we'll probably be looking at getting somewhere by maybe like 11:30 - 12 midnight with the 2 AM last call.

Tir Na Nog and Fado (which is apparently a chain, though I've never heard of it) were both strongly recommended as soccer-friendly bars.  Any thoughts on these places?  They look like standard Irish pubs.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 10:00:41 AM »

Much appreciated.

Let us discuss further.  We will be staying in the Sheraton that Bakes suggested.  Where to eat dinner?  Apparently there are some soccer friendly bars not too far from there, so those could be a stop, but I'm thinking we'll probably want to get some beers before dinner.  My friends don't care about craft beer, but they'll go pretty much wherever I decide to go.

Nodding Head looks like it has pretty standard brewpub fare.  Is the food good?  What bars are worth a trip?  Keep in mind we've got really 1 day there and it has to be within walking/train distance from the hotel.  Realistically, we're looking at probably 1-2 bars in the mid-late afternoon, preferably something with good beer at dinner, overpaying for crap beer at the game, and then 1 bar after the game. The game won't end until 11 PM and we'll have to allow for the train, so we'll probably be looking at getting somewhere by maybe like 11:30 - 12 midnight with the 2 AM last call.

Tir Na Nog and Fado (which is apparently a chain, though I've never heard of it) were both strongly recommended as soccer-friendly bars.  Any thoughts on these places?  They look like standard Irish pubs.

The food at Nodding Head was solid - my son loved his burger, devoured a mountain of fries, daughter had chicken tenders that didn't come out of a Sysco bag, and the mussels that we had were outstanding (as in "mop up the sauce with the bread" good).  I forget what else I had offhand but it was good.  Get your good beer and feed on there and you'll be able to deal with whatever beers are thrown your way the rest of the night.

Keep in mind that Nodding Head is located upstairs in the middle of the block and the sign's not easy to see - it's on the south side of the street.  Maybe a 10 minute walk from the hotel and I had no qualms about walking back around midnight solo.

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
Hope you had fun in PA, Pete, wish I could have joined ya for a brew but I took my part 1 boards on July 26th. How was it?

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
I missed Bakes  :(

... again

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »

... again

huge mistake on your part
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »

... again

Next time, no doubt!  :cheers: