search

Author Topic: Kate the Great Ticket Sales  (Read 1422 times)

Offline rudylaw

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
Kate the Great Ticket Sales
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
What a colossal clusterfuck this is.  And no one saw it coming :rollseyes:. People getting 4 out of 15 winners and others traveling 4+ hours and going 0-30.  People asking $50 in trade value. 

It's times like this I'm glad I saved a case of Zima.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Re: Kate the Great Ticket Sales
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
explain please. i don't understand what you mean.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline rudylaw

• Quadrupel
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »

10,000 lottery tickets at $2/ea where one person can purchase 15 a day.  They went on sale yesterday afternoon and they expect all 10,000 tickets to sell out today some time.  Anyway, the average is one winner for every 11 tickets.  Most people are only coming away with 1/2 winner for 30 tickets... ergo, around $45 - $75 for one bottle of beer.

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »

10,000 lottery tickets at $2/ea where one person can purchase 15 a day.  They went on sale yesterday afternoon and they expect all 10,000 tickets to sell out today some time.  Anyway, the average is one winner for every 11 tickets.  Most people are only coming away with 1/2 winner for 30 tickets... ergo, around $45 - $75 for one bottle of beer.

so they make money off the tickets and the beer, someone in their make money dept. was thinking  ;D

I guess I would rather just not be able to get a beer at release like all the others  8)
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »

so they make money off the tickets and the beer, someone in their make money dept. was thinking  ;D

I guess I would rather just not be able to get a beer at release like all the others  8)

The proceeds from the tickets go to a charity.

IMHO, Kate the Great is the top of the heap when it comes to over-hyped beers, every time I have had it I have been underwhelmed.  Frankly, I don't really care how the choose to release it, it simply isn't worth the effort, and as far as I can tell, there are no events or gatherings around the release that provide extra benefit for the effort.  This is the one major release I have never had any desire to attend.  The two bottle per person limit simply helped over build the hype, as will this scratch off ticket system.  Just like people have a tendency to taste "rare" in beers and think it is a good flavor, people also taste whatever "extreme effort" they put into acquiring their bottle(s).  I wonder what "extreme effort" tastes like.

This weekend I skipped both the Sexual Chocolate release and Southampton, both of which I made the past two years.  Guess I've reach a new point of apathy for special release events, particularly ones that don't include a full weekend of gatherings and events with other beer folks.  I'm not totally apathetic yet though, Jackie O's next week, the place, the beer, and their release events are really special.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »

The proceeds from the tickets go to a charity.

IMHO, Kate the Great is the top of the heap when it comes to over-hyped beers, every time I have had it I have been underwhelmed.  Frankly, I don't really care how the choose to release it, it simply isn't worth the effort, and as far as I can tell, there are no events or gatherings around the release that provide extra benefit for the effort.  This is the one major release I have never had any desire to attend.  The two bottle per person limit simply helped over build the hype, as will this scratch off ticket system.  Just like people have a tendency to taste "rare" in beers and think it is a good flavor, people also taste whatever "extreme effort" they put into acquiring their bottle(s).  I wonder what "extreme effort" tastes like.

This weekend I skipped both the Sexual Chocolate release and Southampton, both of which I made the past two years.  Guess I've reach a new point of apathy for special release events, particularly ones that don't include a full weekend of gatherings and events with other beer folks.  I'm not totally apathetic yet though, Jackie O's next week, the place, the beer, and their release events are really special.

I think that Kate got hyped so much solely based on the Bros review back in the day. It's just not that special.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:01:09 PM »
The scratch offs sold out about two hours ago so I missed out. No biggie, my trip here was to visit a cool place and drink some solid brews. If I was able to get some tix, ok but no skin off my nose being shut out. I'm enjoying myself immensely here right now.

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:22 PM »
The scratch offs sold out about two hours ago so I missed out. No biggie, my trip here was to visit a cool place and drink some solid brews. If I was able to get some tix, ok but no skin off my nose being shut out. I'm enjoying myself immensely here right now.

:cheers:

I absolutely love Portsmouth  :ale:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 02:30:58 AM »

I certainly enjoyed my one visit there, so don't get me wrong, its a cool place.  A great deal of that though was hanging out with joepais from BA, he paid our tab, including a growler fill while we weren't looking.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »

I certainly enjoyed my one visit there, so don't get me wrong, its a cool place.  A great deal of that though was hanging out with joepais from BA, he paid our tab, including a growler fill while we weren't looking.

Where was Joe yesterday?  :lol:

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »

I'm talking about the entire town as a whole and fortunately I'll be going there in about a week to meet up with family and my best friend from college   :thumbup:

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
I'm so glad I got a growler of this from Nase back when he was still alive and KtG hadn't gone completely batshit crazy yet.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »
I'm so glad I got a growler of this from Nase back when he was still alive and KtG hadn't gone completely batshit crazy yet.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
I thought I might have a chance at a bottle this year since I have co-workers in Portsmouth that were willing to do the ticket thing.  Too bad that there was no warning and they came and went while I was in NC for the Sexual Chocolate release.  Oh well, I have plenty of other things to drink anyway  :banned:

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
Just got a beermail from a woman over on BA that I set up a trade with back when I was living in Syracuse.  I sent my half of the trade including a Dark Lord and a few others (I honestly don't remember what else) and she was supposed to send a bunch of Portsmouth beers in return.  Well, she fell off the face of the planet and I never heard back from her or saw her half of the trade.  I assumed I just got screwed over and would never hear from her again.  She offered to send me a winning Kate Scratch Off Ticket and a bunch of beers to make up for it   :thumbup:

Offline joepais

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Malt Liquor
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »
Thanks for the shout out Jim,

By the way don’t buy any second hand unscratched tickets. You could tell the winners without scratching them, due to a printing error. The hilarious thing was that the brewery bought the tickets from the NH lottery commission to eliminate these kinds of screw ups

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 12:52:24 AM »
Thanks for the shout out Jim,

By the way don’t buy any second hand unscratched tickets. You could tell the winners without scratching them, due to a printing error. The hilarious thing was that the brewery bought the tickets from the NH lottery commission to eliminate these kinds of screw ups
Hey Joe, welcome to TBS!  Hope to see you around here a lot more.