search

Author Topic: Michigan Beer Drinkers  (Read 607 times)

Offline danger girl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
  • Padding my post total one beer at a time
Michigan Beer Drinkers
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:57:32 PM »
House Bill 6426 would permit liquor tasting at licensed Michigan retailers. If this bill passes as written, it does a great disservice to Michigan's thriving craft beer industry. By allowing sampling of distilled spirits but not craft beer and wine, this bill puts Michigan breweries at a competitive disadvantage. If you are a Michigan resident, please contact your Michigan legislator and ask that craft beer be added to this bill. It might even be helpful if people from other states express their interest in sampling craft beers at the retail outlets.

This link has more information and a link for contacting your legislators.

Donna

Shhhh... my husband reads this board ;)

Offline beagle

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • DO NOT TALK BAD ABOUT SOCCER! SERIOUS BUSINESS!
Re: Michigan Beer Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:35:01 PM »
I don't see it hurting Wines/brewers that much. If I am going to buy beer, I don't think the store having a sampling of a liquor will change my mind. It may actually open the door to allow beer sampling, which would rock. I would love to try some of the new brews before buying them.
All your brews are belong to me

Offline danger girl

• Pale Ale
  • Padding my post total one beer at a time
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »
I don't see it hurting Wines/brewers that much. If I am going to buy beer, I don't think the store having a sampling of a liquor will change my mind. It may actually open the door to allow beer sampling, which would rock. I would love to try some of the new brews before buying them.

Yeah, but if you don't know what you want to drink and you walk into a store and they are serving samples of some flavored vodka that you really like, you will get that instead. Especially if you are young and aren't set in your boozehound ways. Which means you may never venture to the beer aisle. Which means more for us. So never mind.  :lol:

Ask your legislators to add beer to the bill. It's like chicken soup, couldn't hurt.
Donna

Shhhh... my husband reads this board ;)

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »
Resurrecting this, going to be spending a few days at a lake house near South Haven, hanging out/hiking/drinking/relaxing. Any one have suggestions for the area.

Planning on hitting up Transient and the Livery already if they have outdoor seating. 
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 11:03:48 PM »
Resurrecting this, going to be spending a few days at a lake house near South Haven, hanging out/hiking/drinking/relaxing. Any one have suggestions for the area.

Planning on hitting up Transient and the Livery already if they have outdoor seating. 

we went there in August

New Holland is in... Holland. so is Big Lake and Our Brewing.  enjoyed the beers i had at Big Lake and Our.  New Holland is New Holland.  they have a distillery in Saugatuck which is about 15-20 minutes from South Haven.  depending on what you're doing while there.. Saugatuck has good shopping and Saugatuck Bewing.

New Holland and Our are both on 8th St. in Holland and within a block or so of each other.  while you're there you'll want to eat at Hops at 84 East. great taplist, great food all the times we've been.

in Grand Haven is Grand Armory and Odd Sides.  Grand Armory was fine. only had a single beer there and a bite to eat. never made it to Odd Sides, but their beers didn't intrigue me.

Waypost is between South Haven and Saugatuck and was on my radar, but we didn't make it.

lots of good places to eat in Saugatuck. a couple distilleries where my wife got craft cocktails that she really liked.  one of the joints... forget the name.. it was near a restaurant named the Mermaid.... had whiskey samples for free. seemed popular.  it's in the same strip of businesses as the Mermaid.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:10:06 PM by mr. furley »
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 11:06:58 PM »
ah, the beaches at South Haven and Grand Haven are pretty nice. easy to access and close to the respective shopping/downtown districts.

Tunnel Beach in Holland is smaller & quite an up/down climb. would suggest either of the Haven beaches first.

Saugatuck is more upscale, you have a big boat and money. we didn't hit any beach areas there.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 11:12:44 PM »
Tapistry in Bridgman across from Transient, heard good things, possibly from Thewimperoo.

Molino Tortilleria in Sawyer looks very legit.

Lange’s in Michigan City for old-fashioned meatstuffs.

Saugatuck and New Holland aren’t really worth your time imho.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 11:19:27 PM »
Tapistry in Bridgman across from Transient, heard good things, possibly from Thewimperoo.

Molino Tortilleria in Sawyer looks very legit.

Lange’s in Michigan City for old-fashioned meatstuffs.

we didn't even give Saugatuck brewing a chance simply based on the cans of beer i saw around. lots of goofy looking beers. didn't seem worth it.

New Holland has a cool space on 8th street, but their beers are what they are. nothing special unless you like BBA Dragon's Milk enough.

pretty much everywhere in the beach towns that we hit (Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, Holland) had outdoor seating which was nice.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 12:50:40 PM »

Opposite... Don't waste your time with Tapistry. It's bad.

Waypost as Furley mentioned is definitely worth a stop.

It's AB, but I still enjoy going to Virtue Cidery. Great atmosphere on a farm, and the ciders are good.

Arclight in Watervliet does American Wilds and Barrel aged stouts quite well.

Watermark in Stevensville is a good 1-2 punch with Transient.

The dunes/beach in Saugatuck is a good hike as well as Grand Mere and Warren Dunes.
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 03:16:52 PM »

Opposite... Don't waste your time with Tapistry. It's bad.

Waypost as Furley mentioned is definitely worth a stop.

It's AB, but I still enjoy going to Virtue Cidery. Great atmosphere on a farm, and the ciders are good.

Arclight in Watervliet does American Wilds and Barrel aged stouts quite well.

Watermark in Stevensville is a good 1-2 punch with Transient.

The dunes/beach in Saugatuck is a good hike as well as Grand Mere and Warren Dunes.
Woops, sorry about that :bag:
Listen to this guy, he knows things :thumbup:

New Holland has a cool space on 8th street, but their beers are what they are. nothing special unless you like BBA Dragon's Milk enough.

:goodposting:
They do make a couple good beers, I vaguely recall a decent Kölsch of theirs too.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
I'll be in New Buffalo, MI all next week.  Might have to drop in a couple of these places for some beer throughout the week.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 01:18:13 PM »

Welp, guess where my beer trading neighbor went over the weekend? :lol:
That's what I get for bad mouthing a brewery making ice-cream flavored beer. :bag:

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 02:20:31 PM »

That's what I get for bad mouthing a brewery making ice-cream flavored beer. :bag:

:lol:

see if he can get some Old Nation, Grand Armory, Big Lake and Our Brewing. steer clear of Saugatuck.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »

see if he can get some Old Nation, Grand Armory, Big Lake and Our Brewing. steer clear of Saugatuck.
I also got a Big Lake beer... "Cotton Candy Haze". :mellow:

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »
oof

didn't see any of that when we were there

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 10:05:23 AM »

I also got a Big Lake beer... "Cotton Candy Haze". :mellow:

This beer was surprisingly good, dry and bitter, only a suggestion of cotton candy, but they nailed it without any cloying sweetness.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
Waypost Brewing Co.

Looks like a nice one, a farm brewery halfway between Saugatuck and South Haven.

Would have been helpful a few weeks ago, but I just found out about it. Some beer sherpa I am. :bag:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:55:35 AM by emerge »

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »
we went over that way in August and Waypost was on my checklist, but we didn't make it.

next year!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 09:56:53 AM »
we went over that way in August and Waypost was on my checklist, but we didn't make it.

next year!
:thumbup:

I feel like my "next year" list is growing by the day... :unsure:

I'd like to take a daytrip out to at least one new brewery before the year is over.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 02:14:39 AM »
So Michigan was cold, beautiful and fun. 40 mph wind and lake effect rain kind of sucks but it makes for some cool visuals.

Avoided Chicago on the way down and back with the whole Wisconsin quarantine stuff.

Breweries hit
Mikerphone:picked up some smells like not a beer fest stuff.
Transient:Great, actually stopped twice.
Watermark:Super cool vibe and facility, Double IPA was good, Dunkel was decent, Berliner and mixed culture sour were both kind of a let down.  If there was an example of a space for a community integrated brewery it would be this. Really cool space indoor and out, all kinds of room outside with fire pits, covered areas, heated areas. So many people just walking up and talking, people watching sports, kids doing homework, people playing cards this was all at about 4-5 on a Friday afternoon.
Arclight :Very industrial and would be cooler on a warm day, was just boring inside, lots of outdoor space but was raining well we were there. Milkshake IPA was good, Imperial Berliner was gross and the hazy IPA and pale ale were full of off flavors
The Livery:Cool place, was entirely outside other than ordering beer due to covid. Triple Barrel Weizenbock was as great as I remembered it over the years of having it at the Great taste, almost got a growler, Oktoberfest was decent, 15'th anniversary was a let down (Cognac barrel aged old ale), Maple coffee stout left a lot to be desired. Double Ipa was old school west coast and really good. A bunch of locals getting hammered on a Friday night on really big pours of high octane beers creating their own karaoke for our entertainment, was funny as hell to watch.

Planned on stopping a few other places but between weather and covid decided against it. Overall Michigan seemed to be taking covid a lot more seriously than the shit show that is Wisconsin which was great to see. Was also fascinating seeing a completely different set of political ads despite only being a lake apart. 

Also damn it's nice to be drinking beer again.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:54:41 AM by Initiative »
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 03:38:51 AM »
Awesome trip report! :cheers:
Makes me want to get out and do something.

Livery is still doing their wacky BA beers, eh? I remember some real doozies back in the day, just oxidized to hell. Not quite as bad/good as the Shoreline stuff, which was very hit or miss too. The Livery had some well made stuff too, the DIPA has always been solid. Shit, it’s probably been 10 years since I had it.