search

Author Topic: "Cellaring" in an Apartment  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Steve Tasker

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
"Cellaring" in an Apartment
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »
Alright, here's the deal.  I used to live at home with Mom and Dad  <_< , who own the standard American middle class home with a fence and a yard.  They also had a basement and several dark, cool storage spaces, which was great for my beer  :pickle:

I have moved into an apartment.  This apartment is a 3rd-floor apartment in a really cool mansion that was built in 1880.  I love the place.

The problem is that (1) heat rises, (2) we're in the middle of summer, (3) there is no basement for me to use, and (4) I have a stockpile of beer to keep in the new place.

As of now, I have blocked off a section of the pantry for my beer - which is sitting there in the darkness.  The problem is that the pantry is probably at about 72-75 degrees.  Not good for beer.  I used to keep a lot of my beer in my bedroom closet at home, which was roughly room temperature, and never noticed any ill effects on any beer that I held for a period of time.

I don't have any real gem beers that I need to keep here, just a few that I'd like to hold onto for a few months/years - some BCS, coffee BCS, a couple barleywines, LeBleu, etc.  What should I do here?  I'd hate to take them back home and leave them with my parents.  Will the higher than usual temperatures negatively effect the beers?  I know it can't be good for the beer, but I never had an issue with relatively short-term cellaring (3-12 months-ish) at room temperature at my house in the past.  Will certain styles of beer not hold up well here?
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
Re: "Cellaring" in an Apartment
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
Do you have a walk-in closet?
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
I'm no expert, but there's a guy in town that does beer tasting classes, and I've heard he brings in beer that's been "cellared" in his utility room, right in between the hot water heater and furnace.  Supposedly you can't taste any ill-effects from this abuse.  Either way, find a dark closet and you should be fine.  An interior closet will have less temperature fluctuations.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »
No, everything was built for life in the 1800s, so there's a lot of tiny little storage spaces scattered all over.  The pantry is probably as close to walk-in closet as there is.
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline BeerTruth

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »
Leave 'em in your parents basement during the summer  :shrug:

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:27:58 PM »
Send it to me and I'll cellar it for you...   ;)

congrats on moving out  ;D
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »
Wine refrigerator or chest freezer with a temp controller on it.  I have both.  Went with the chest freezer when the cellar got bigger.  Now I have central air and a fiance that runs it all summer for the most part but the chest freezer worked great in the summer months at my old place where the temps would climb to around 100ยบ when I wouldn't run the AC.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Pols

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »
No, everything was built for life in the 1800s, so there's a lot of tiny little storage spaces scattered all over.  The pantry is probably as close to walk-in closet as there is.

I'm still waiting for "tobaccomplish" to be put in the Webster's Dictionary.   <_<