search

Author Topic: Saison Sunday  (Read 36298 times)

Offline Lum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
Re: Saison Sunday
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
Jack D'Or this Sunday. Batch 13.

I still think the earliest batches were best.... but this one is better than some I have had of late.

Wanna suck it?

ISO: Coitus Beard Chicken Milk Porter

Offline deepsouth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »
to celebrate kegging and bottling a barrel aged double ipa, brewing a (not so) pale wheat ale & another dipa today, i'm jumping in on this tonight with a brother levonian saison.  it's chilling a bit right now.
[]P [] []\/[] []P

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »
Jack D'Or this Sunday. Batch 13.

I still think the earliest batches were best.... but this one is better than some I have had of late.

I had only one of Jack D and had it last weekend and enjoyed it...
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline joe1510

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »

Sadly the Pissenlit we had tasted like chewy sweet tarts :blink:
One I had last year was much better... :sadbanana:

I liked it ok. Of course I like chewy Sweet Tarts....The Cuvee de Fleurs was a little underwhelming to me, especially taking into consideration how much I enjoyed that beer previously.

Beef neck  :thumbup:

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
I guess I will kick off Saison Sunday this week.  Had a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere on draft before I left the B'ham this afternoon to get to work.  :ale: I am slowly falling in love with that beer.  :wub:
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2010, 05:26:08 PM »
I guess I will kick off Saison Sunday this week.  Had a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere on draft before I left the B'ham this afternoon to get to work.  :ale: I am slowly falling in love with that beer.  :wub:
:thumbup:

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »
This is my first Sofie... :wub:  I have to say, this is one beautiful beer to look at.
Sofie has what it takes - golden color, sun bleached bone-white cap, musty attic aroma, lemony/orange zestness, subtle hop "bite", sugary sweet with generous amounts of barnyard funk, lively yet discrete mouthfeel. 
I see FLBC being sold out of this next week  :ale:

Wanna suck it?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
This is my first Sofie... :wub:  I have to say, this is one beautiful beer to look at.
Sofie has what it takes - golden color, sun bleached bone-white cap, musty attic aroma, lemony/orange zestness, subtle hop "bite", sugary sweet with generous amounts of barnyard funk, lively yet discrete mouthfeel. 

That looks awful tasty. 

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »

That looks awful tasty. 

You get this down in 'Bama, Gilly?
Wanna suck it?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2010, 08:43:24 PM »

That looks awful tasty. 

Goose Island is slowly showing up, but we don't (and probably won't for a while) get it or anything limited of theirs.  Mostly Honkers and whatnot.   :(
I am just going through beer withdrawls after overloading my system yesterday.  That beer looks and sounds amazing though. 

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »

That looks awful tasty. 

Goose Island is slowly showing up, but we don't (and probably won't for a while) get it or anything limited of theirs.  Mostly Honkers and whatnot.   :(
I am just going through beer withdrawls after overloading my system yesterday.  That beer looks and sounds amazing though. 

That's how GI showed up here as well.  Took about 6 months, but we are seeing good stuff arrive now  :thumbup:
Wanna suck it?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »

That looks awful tasty. 

That's how GI showed up here as well.  Took about 6 months, but we are seeing good stuff arrive now  :thumbup:
Good to hear.  I expect it will be half a year or whatnot before it gets real interesting with GI.  The best part about GI is that a lot of their portfolio is smaller format so we can actually buy their beers.  Can't wait!   :excited:

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »
Sofie is one of my favorite beers bar none... and the four packs even make easier and cheaper to drink...  :thumbup:

Nice picture Lum  :cheers:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2010, 09:41:39 PM »

Recently talked to our Bud distro, who I expect would be the one to bring it, and he didn't seem to think it was that imminent.  We can get most of it in Bowling Green KY, but I don't know if the rarer stuff like Nightstalker made it there,.
That looks awful tasty. 

Good to hear.  I expect it will be half a year or whatnot before it gets real interesting with GI.  The best part about GI is that a lot of their portfolio is smaller format so we can actually buy their beers.  Can't wait!   :excited:
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »

That looks awful tasty. 

Good to know that I don't need to send you any in the future.  I knew you'd love that one :cheers:

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2010, 10:35:44 PM »

Recently talked to our Bud distro, who I expect would be the one to bring it, and he didn't seem to think it was that imminent.  We can get most of it in Bowling Green KY, but I don't know if the rarer stuff like Nightstalker made it there,.
That looks awful tasty. 

My fiance showed up at our house with some Honkers that she said a client of hers up in Huntsville gave her to bring to me.  I assumed that meant he got it there.   :shrug:  Then again, it may be a case of what may or may not be happening in Athen, GA with some beers that are on shelves but don't belong in that state.  Who knows.  I'll get her to ask a few more questions next time she is up there. 

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 12:00:37 AM »

That looks awful tasty. 

My fiance showed up at our house with some Honkers that she said a client of hers up in Huntsville gave her to bring to me.  I assumed that meant he got it there.   :shrug:  Then again, it may be a case of what may or may not be happening in Athen, GA with some beers that are on shelves but don't belong in that state.  Who knows.  I'll get her to ask a few more questions next time she is up there. 
None of our stores or bars are bold enough to do a Athens 5 Points kinda thing, our ABC people are pretty wicked here.  People in Huntsville travel a lot, so it most likely came from elsewhere.  Plenty of us go to Bowling Green, where most all of the Midwest goodness is available, even 3 Floyds is there now.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 06:56:41 AM »

That looks awful tasty. 

Good to know that I don't need to send you any in the future.  I knew you'd love that one :cheers:

I still have the '09 you sent Howard - I think I'll give that one another year or two before crackin'.

:cheers:
Wanna suck it?

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
Avery Sixteen.

Almost looks (crisp, bubbly head, not frothy/meringue/cloud-like :() and smells the part... but the taste is reminiscent of old produce and otherwise underwhelming.  Drinkable, but there are better Saisons to be had - won't be buying this one again  :thumbdown:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:37:58 PM by Lum »
Wanna suck it?

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
Avery Sixteen.

Almost looks (crisp, bubbly head, not frothy/meringue/cloud-like  :() and smells the part... but the taste is reminiscent of old produce and otherwise underwhelming.  Drinkable, but there are better Saisons to be had - won't be buying this one again  :thumbdown:

Yeah this beer was terrible.

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »
Avery Sixteen.

Almost looks (crisp, bubbly head, not frothy/meringue/cloud-like  :() and smells the part... but the taste is reminiscent of old produce and otherwise underwhelming.  Drinkable, but there are better Saisons to be had - won't be buying this one again  :thumbdown:

So I have heard... figured I should try it at least once.

What do you know about UFFP in bottles?  :popcorn:
Wanna suck it?

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »
Avery Sixteen.

Unfiltered Flower Power?  I thought that's how all the FP bottles have been for a while now?

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2010, 07:39:47 PM »
Avery Sixteen.

Unfiltered Flower Power?  I thought that's how all the FP bottles have been for a while now?

NOT LIKE THIS.
Wanna suck it?

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2010, 07:43:13 PM »
Avery Sixteen.

NOT LIKE THIS.

Bottled date?

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
Avery Sixteen.

NOT LIKE THIS.

Bottled date?

Hash mark is right on the September/Oct. line.... I'll say September.
Let me finish this shitty Saison, and I'll post a pic in the other thread....
Wanna suck it?

Offline dyan

• Malt Liquor
    • Beer Trading history
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2010, 08:01:13 PM »
What an excellent beer! The nose makes me think of a blend of a saison and a biere de garde, but this is a wonderful saison. You had this yet, Lum?

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2010, 08:12:46 PM »
What an excellent beer! The nose makes me think of a blend of a saison and a biere de garde, but this is a wonderful saison. You had this yet, Lum?

Nope.

You should probably send me three  :yes:

Is it anything like La Bavaisienne?
http://www.listphile.com/The_World_s_Best_Beers/La_Bavaisienne

Good to hear from you Dyan!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:26:33 PM by Lum »
Wanna suck it?

Offline EskimoDave

• IPA
  • since Pamela's double Ds.
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »
I'm going to take part in my first saison Sunday with a Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabraza.

Jolly Pumpkin is new to BC this year.  Kinda pricey ($13) a bottle, but it seems like people really like their stuff.

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »
I'm going to take part in my first saison Sunday with a Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabraza.

Jolly Pumpkin is new to BC this year.  Kinda pricey ($13) a bottle, but it seems like people really like their stuff.

be ready for something different when it comes to all JP beers  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:27:51 PM by decoman »

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2010, 10:13:45 PM »
Tasker >  :cheers:

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »
St. Somewhere Saison Athene

Offline EskimoDave

• IPA
  • since Pamela's double Ds.
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2010, 12:19:11 AM »

Jolly Pumpkin is new to BC this year.  Kinda pricey ($13) a bottle, but it seems like people really like their stuff.

be ready for something different when it comes to all JP beers  :thumbup:
Very impressed I am.  I've had nothing like it.  Not sure about $13 a go.  Well, for one person at least.  I'll be definitely picking up Bam Nsomething next time I see it.

Offline dill

• IPA
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2010, 01:58:05 AM »
Smoked some salmon w/ wst today and commented that a saison would go great with it.  He poured me a la merle which was fine for the occasion.  Then I saw this thread and remembered that it was 'saison sunday' anyways.  Just an fyi... house-smoked salmon goes well w/ saison sundays. 

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2010, 02:07:37 AM »
Smoked some salmon w/ wst today and commented that a saison would go great with it.  He poured me a la merle which was fine for the occasion.  Then I saw this thread and remembered that it was 'saison sunday' anyways.  Just an fyi... house-smoked salmon goes well w/ saison sundays. 

SAISON!!!!

Offline joe1510

• Quadrupel
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2010, 03:27:54 AM »

Saison goes best with Saison Sunday.

What was the salmon smoked with?

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2010, 11:45:35 PM »
About an hour early but Saison De Lente out by the fire

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »

It's Sunday Somewhere (tm)!
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2010, 11:40:49 AM »

Awesome  :thumbup:
Wanna suck it?

Offline Lum

• Old Ale
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »
Terrapin Side Project Vol. #7
Maggies Farmhouse Ale

I have been looking for just the right day for this one - figured what day is better than Fathers Day!

Beautiful to look at, and a truly sweet treat for the nose.  Candy sugars and ripe fruit all over this thing.  Taste was very subdued... the aroma had me hoping for more, but was true to the nose otherwise: juicy ripe apples, melons, lemons and tangerines.  Mouthfeel is a little off - could be more effervescent/crisp.  Not sayin' this isn't tasty - because it is - just with some tweaking, this could be excellent.
Thanks for the bottle Gilly! :cheers:
Wanna suck it?

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »
Terrapin Side Project Vol. #7
Maggies Farmhouse Ale

I have been looking for just the right day for this one - figured what day is better than Fathers Day!

Beautiful to look at, and a truly sweet treat for the nose.  Candy sugars and ripe fruit all over this thing.  Taste was very subdued... the aroma had me hoping for more, but was true to the nose otherwise: juicy ripe apples, melons, lemons and tangerines.  Mouthfeel is a little off - could be more effervescent/crisp.  Not sayin' this isn't tasty - because it is - just with some tweaking, this could be excellent.
Thanks for the bottle Gilly! :cheers:
That's pretty much exactly how I felt about that one.  I hope they revisit it or try their hand at another Saison over at Terrapin.  Glad you liked it.   :cheers:

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2010, 11:20:15 PM »
Drinking some hombrew Saison that still isn't carbed all the way and is a little green yet, but I'm REALLY essited for when it's ready!

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2010, 09:43:18 AM »
Drinking some hombrew Saison that still isn't carbed all the way and is a little green yet, but I'm REALLY essited for when it's ready!

:furley:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »

:furley:

He means that he's assited.
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline dill

• IPA
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »

it was hot-smoked.  i had found some wild caught king salmon from alaska at the farmer's market and covered it in dill and a few other things.  nothing sweet though.  it tasted great.  i just finished it up last night.

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »

it was hot-smoked.  i had found some wild caught king salmon from alaska at the farmer's market and covered it in dill and a few other things.  nothing sweet though.  it tasted great.  i just finished it up last night.

You covered it with yourself?

Offline dill

• IPA
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »

You covered it with yourself?

Yeah.  That wasn't lost on me as I wrote that either. 

Offline flyingtaco

• Quadrupel
    • Blog of the Flying Taco
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2010, 08:39:06 PM »
Sod it all...the sun was out today and I'm drinking a Saison, so it's Saison Sun Day. Brooklyn Sorachi Ace...

Offline deepsouth

• Double IPA
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »
Brewing an ipa, listening to house music, drinking a Brother Levonian.
[]P [] []\/[] []P

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2010, 05:19:13 PM »
I had a few Sofie's last night in which at least one was prolly this morning...  :hangover: