Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will permanently redirect to this discord server at 11:59 PM PST on 12/31/22.
Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Saison Sunday  (Read 50349 times)

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
Re: Saison Sunday
« Reply #1200 on: July 13, 2021, 01:38:40 PM »
Ruh-roh, what have I done? :lol:

I already had seen it on King G's FB.  :lol:

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #1201 on: July 13, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »
Ruh-roh, what have I done? :lol:

I already had seen it on King G's FB.  :lol:

Then i'm absolved of any responsibility, thanks G. :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1202 on: July 21, 2021, 03:52:15 PM »
https://beerandbrewing.com/brasserie-de-la-sennes-yvan-de-baets-explains-saisons-greatest-myth-the/

Addresses the history of wild yeast in saison brewing, which a lot of beer nerds think is an American innovation, see Side Project.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #1203 on: July 23, 2021, 01:04:36 AM »
https://beerandbrewing.com/brasserie-de-la-sennes-yvan-de-baets-explains-saisons-greatest-myth-the/

Addresses the history of wild yeast in saison brewing, which a lot of beer nerds think is an American innovation, see Side Project.
Thoroughly enjoyed this article. Hard to say that nowadays.

I love how a Belgian wants to make it clear that the French Saison yeast is technically from Belgium.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1204 on: July 23, 2021, 12:37:05 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed this article. Hard to say that nowadays.

I love how a Belgian wants to make it clear that the French Saison yeast is technically from Belgium.
Definitely a good read. Surely there are more than 2 yeast strains out there, just the commercially available ones I guess. Smaller saison brewers like Geants, Pipaix, Fantome, etc. have to be using a unique house strain.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1205 on: July 29, 2021, 03:31:10 PM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:34:11 PM by emerge »

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #1206 on: August 15, 2021, 07:46:35 PM »
*not my photo.  More importantly, why haven’t I been to this festival.

Made with sourdough yeast.  Pretty good, dry without the stereotypical saison flavors.  Mildly tart with a touch of bitterness

Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #1207 on: October 10, 2021, 02:12:09 PM »
Reminded me of Temptation

Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1208 on: October 10, 2021, 05:04:37 PM »
Nice! :excited: :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1209 on: October 29, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
Bakes>

This place in Kinderhook looks amazing... :excited:
https://www.saisonnier.us/

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1210 on: November 17, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »

L’Automne
Hacienda Beer Co.

Foeder-fermented saison, aged in oak with house mixed culture, conditioned on dried sage.

Bright gold with bright clarity and huge billowing head, drippy lacing around the glass.

Zesty citrus aroma, lemon-lime, a touch brie rind funk, herbal sage and dill accents.

Zingy acidity, lemon, sage, dill notes with balanced citrus and savory herbal elements.

Zippy carbonation, light bodied and effervescent, finishes bone dry.

Overall this is a an excellent mixed-ferm saison, and pairs well with cheese and charcuterie.

Hacienda L'Automne 2021 edition

This is more of a wild ale, but they call it a mixed ferm saison. Lemon lime sourness, some vinegar. Brewed with chanterelles this year, but didn't really taste anything savory. Last years used sage, and that was a lot better. This one was less clean with the vinegar lingering.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1211 on: November 17, 2021, 10:06:58 AM »

Saison D’Erpe-Mere
Brouwerij De Glazen Toren

Stone cold classic :rock:

Looking through the BotM April 2021 thread of Saisons, this one made me wistful. Working from home, watching the flowers and trees bloom in warmer weather, day drinking Saisons. Sigh. Does life get any better?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1212 on: November 28, 2021, 08:26:13 PM »
Drank a couple Afterthought saisons today, Saison Meer: Malbec barrel (good) and Galaxy’s Moon with blood orange and dry-hopped with Galaxy (excellent).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1213 on: December 19, 2021, 05:29:11 PM »

All 3 had some type of flaw. The KT was flat, but perfectly enjoyable. Tempus was very sour with some acetic acid, but reminded me of good OG Le Terroir. Perennial was terrible, heavy medicinal Brett, one dimensional mustiness and sharp lactic sourness. The base saison was obliterated.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1214 on: December 20, 2021, 01:19:29 AM »
I've been hesitant to try these OEC sour bottles due to fears of too much acetic sourness. I'll probably keep staying away.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1215 on: December 20, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
I've been hesitant to try these OEC sour bottles due to fears of too much acetic sourness. I'll probably keep staying away.

Last one I had previously was better, batch 8... 2ish years ago. Tempus seems fairly variable, i've had several other OEC sour beers that were great though. Exilis, Floresco, Orenji, Malefactus, Phantasma Sour Blend #4, Artista Zynergia: Gosatequin, Experimentalis - Lime & Kumquat.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1216 on: January 11, 2022, 11:12:33 AM »
Revisiting an old fave, now that it's available here locally. Southampton Saison Deluxe.  :ale:

Awesome beer.

:thumbup:
We get Southhampton here, but you'd hardly know it. Honestly can't remember the last time i've seen Saison Deluxe, and i'd buy it all the time if I could :shrug:
I did pick up a Cuvee Des Fleurs a couple years back, but mainly all I ever see are the Double White sixers... :confused:

Anybody know if Cuvee des Fleurs is still made? That's another great beer.

I remember nearly a decade ago when Southampton was the hot brewery (like Hill Farmstead is now). Man, I traded for sooo many bottles. Their original saison was unbelievable. And Biere de Garde. And...  :coffee:

I think some of Southamptons issues are when the brewer left for Two Roads Brewing in CT (2011 or maybe 2012). It doesn't seem like their focus is on the farmhouse style anymore.
thread resurrection :tombstone:

Anyone had Two Roads? Heard good stuff about their saisons, and considering Phil M. is brewing them, seems very legit. Also I saw they have a "lambic series"...

I've only had their DIPA.  Adam and Allie have a friend that is a rep for them.  I would guess they can answer how it is.  On another note, Two Roads basically has the same brewhouse that we do at the new place.

Saison Deluxe came to mind again, still wondering whatever happened to that beer. Did Phil Markowski sign a non-compete with Southampton when he left? Doesn't seem like Two Roads does many saisons besides "Workers Comp". :shrug:

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #1217 on: January 11, 2022, 11:35:04 AM »
I was so asscited when I saw Southampton on the shelves locally when I moved to Maryland.  I bought up all the Saison Deluxe and their Grand Cru that I could get my hands on for the first couple years I lived out here. 
Then, basically nothing.  I don't know if I've even seen them on the shelves here in 10 years.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1218 on: January 11, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »
I was so asscited when I saw Southampton on the shelves locally when I moved to Maryland.  I bought up all the Saison Deluxe and their Grand Cru that I could get my hands on for the first couple years I lived out here. 
Then, basically nothing.  I don't know if I've even seen them on the shelves here in 10 years.

Same here, the 750s disappeared, then the sixers of Double White were the last to go. Looks like they switched distributors in 2011 to Total Beverage Solutions.

Just curious if the brewer was making a reasonable facsimile these days, but I guess not. Weird since he wrote Farmhouse Ales.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1219 on: January 11, 2022, 03:30:57 PM »

Same here, the 750s disappeared, then the sixers of Double White were the last to go. Looks like they switched distributors in 2011 to Total Beverage Solutions.

Just curious if the brewer was making a reasonable facsimile these days, but I guess not. Weird since he wrote Farmhouse Ales.
There is a quote I have saved from a rating on RB:

Phil wrote the book on saison. Literally. Perhaps it’s time he rereads it. -Andy’s rating for Two Roads Workers Comp Saison

Two Roads never had the same feel for me as any of the SH stuff, either the brewpub or contract stuff.

I think Southampton is completely out of the beer game now. First, they moved out of their original location a few years ago and moved into a space with no brewery. Now, I cannot find any evidence that Southampton Publick House beer is still distributed anywhere.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1220 on: January 11, 2022, 03:33:34 PM »
I have a criminally old bottle of SH 10th Anniversary Old Ale sitting around.  To afraid to drink it.

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #1221 on: January 11, 2022, 03:47:08 PM »
I have a criminally old bottle of SH 10th Anniversary Old Ale sitting around.  To afraid to drink it.

Bring it to our next bottle share!
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1222 on: January 11, 2022, 04:38:02 PM »

There is a quote I have saved from a rating on RB:

Phil wrote the book on saison. Literally. Perhaps it’s time he rereads it. -Andy’s rating for Two Roads Workers Comp Saison

Two Roads never had the same feel for me as any of the SH stuff, either the brewpub or contract stuff.

I think Southampton is completely out of the beer game now. First, they moved out of their original location a few years ago and moved into a space with no brewery. Now, I cannot find any evidence that Southampton Publick House beer is still distributed anywhere.

That quote is hilarious :lol: Well, if it doesn't exist anymore, it's time for someone to pay homage. I guess i'll drown my sorrows in Saison Dupont :ale:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1223 on: January 12, 2022, 12:14:35 AM »

We should do an aged beer tasting.

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #1224 on: January 12, 2022, 12:51:32 PM »

Lol, I just bought a 2004 Old Salty from Max's Taproom.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #1225 on: January 12, 2022, 06:40:34 PM »

Lol, I just bought a 2004 Old Salty from Max's Taproom.
Nice. Save it.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1226 on: March 05, 2022, 01:51:04 PM »

Is/Was Brewing - Bend Towards Daylight - Spelt Grisette conditioned on Spanish Cedar (3.5%)

Nice and light, tart and crisp, a little minerally and cidery. Clean dry finish, not getting much cedar.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1227 on: March 13, 2022, 08:03:59 PM »

Keeping Together - A Mutual Surrender - Rosé Saison w/spent grapes, rested in oak, conditioned with honey

Reddish orange tone, some cloudiness, ample foam billows above the rim, leaving behind concentric rings of lacing. Looks like a hybrid rosé wild saison.

Fruity aroma, grapes and fruit punch, a funky wild undercurrent of wet hay and attic must.

Tart and fruity taste, red grapes, cranberry, cherry, seedy raspberries, mild bitterness in the finish. A light funky undercurrent, brie rind, kind of mild. Effervescent, crisp, moderate acidity. Easy drinking, wish it was a already a warm Spring day, but no time like the present either.

Keeping Together - Creatures of Infinite Contradiction - BA Saison with Cab Franc & Merlot grapes

Dark sanguine ruby tone, frothy pinkish purple foam that lingers. Really beautiful color. Aroma has some crisp lactic acidity and red fruit, cranberry, blackberry, raspberry, and red grapes. Taste is tart and fruit forward, cranberry and blackberry fruit leather, light tannins in the dry finish. Effervescent and spritzy. Really fruit forward, reminds me of a natural wine with Cab Franc grapes, it has plenty of depth. Saving a few bottles for the Spring.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1228 on: March 30, 2022, 12:01:41 PM »
Polished off a Bons Voux 375mL,
don't think I've noticed half bottles. Nice.

On the flipside of this, a local shop has a 2012 Bons Voeux 1.5L magnum for $62.99. :$: I could see $45, but I highly doubt it's improved over 10 years.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1229 on: April 08, 2022, 11:41:46 AM »
This place looks cool, a farm nanobrewery outside of Tulsa that does various saisons and other stuff.

Rapture Brewing, Kellyville, OK
https://untappd.com/RaptureBrewing
https://www.instagram.com/raptureales/
https://m.facebook.com/rapturebrewing/

What the Ale: Rapture Brewing to brew at Prairie Creek Farms in Belleville Kellyville
Tom Gilbert - Tulsa World - April 28, 2019

Rapture may be a unique name for a brewery, but there’s nothing wrong with that, especially when the word is synonymous with elation, joy and bliss.

That’s the vibe the owners of Rapture Brewing were going for at Prairie Creek Farms, 24962 W. 141st St. South, in Kellyville. They created a unique getaway, a place to kick back and relax a short distance from downtown.

Rapture will be brewing soon on an 80-acre farm, just a 30-minute drive from downtown Tulsa.

Mitch Hull has been a homebrewer for years. But when his college buddies asked him to start a brewery on a farm, he didn’t think they were serious.

“I thought they were just asking for fun, but turns out, they were serious. This was about two years ago or so, and we started the whole process of looking into the legality,” Hull said.

The farm has a large pond and a big ridge that protects it from a north wind. It has lots of trees and a huge pasture that the living quarters and barn overlooks. The recently built brewery is right next to the barn/living quarters.

It also has a goat named Porch, and he is one of the highlights of the farm.

“The first time I came out here, I fell in love; this is an amazing farm,” Hull said.

The brewery’s name was also somewhat inspired by the “Left Behind” movie, which was a religious science-fiction thriller based on an end-times novel of the same name.

“I have always wanted to name a brewery Rapture; I think that name is so cool. I have grown up in the church and still am involved in the church. Rapture has always been a concept that is really cool to me.”

Rapture Brewing is a small-scale brewery and will concentrate on brewing farmhouse and pale ales, something that is light and refreshing.

“Smells are just so different (on the farm), like all your senses are kind of going haywire,” Hull said. “My goal with the brewery is to just brew a beer that you can just sit out on the farm and just drink and have a good time, responsibly.”

Partners Jason Ketchum, Nate Beaulac, Peter Prulhiere have raised Prairie Creek Farms’ chickens, hogs and cows for the past couple of years, producing foods to sell at farmers markets.

“Right when we saw it, we knew it was a good spot,” Jason Ketchum said. “More and more, I think the eating and drinking experience is centered around the experiences around them. So I think we will provide a unique experience.”

The farm has tours once a quarter, but those plans will change once the brewery gets ABLE and other approvals. They hope sometime in May the brewery will be up and brewing.

The farm sells to restaurants that want free-range and natural animal products. They also home deliver everything they raise and are at the Cherry Street Farmers Market on Saturdays. There is also a two-year plan to build an event center and barn that will overlook the pond.

“We rotate our chickens every single day to new grass. We feed them non-GMO feed, they don’t get antibiotics, don’t get any shots, don’t get any growth hormones,” Ketchum said. “Our pigs are rotated every three weeks in a new 1-acre paddock in the woods. Our cows are grass-fed, grass-finished, they never get any grain, not even at the end.”

The short drive to Prairie Creek Farms is worth the sights and sounds, and soon, the taste of beer will be a part of it.

“This is where you want to be when Jesus comes back, I think that is the best way to explain it,” Ketchum said. :lol: :mellow: :lol: :bag:

For more information on tours and products, check Prairie Creek Farms’ website, prairiecreek.farm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 11:45:15 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1230 on: May 15, 2022, 05:21:32 PM »
See Ya Later - Hacienda Beer Co.

Spon saison with juniper and sumac. Pretty good, slightly acetic with an herbal botanical taste and some lemon juiced oak.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1231 on: May 15, 2022, 06:50:40 PM »
Barrel #13: Fourth Blend - Afterthought Brewing

This is pretty nice. Sour grapefruit lemonade, lime zest, juniper, oak. Woodsy character from the juniper berries and spruce tips in the oak barrel, but not overdone. Spritzy and refreshing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 11:04:26 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #1232 on: June 05, 2022, 02:01:34 PM »
Death & Taxes - Prairie State Saison
Hand of Fate Brewing, Petersburg, IL

Really nice. Had on draft before, but first time picking up cans. Fruity citrus, grapefruit rind with some peppery phenolics. Dry earthy aftertaste. Well carbed, but a supple and smooth feel.