search

Author Topic: Admiration for Conspicuous Drunks  (Read 634 times)

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
Admiration for Conspicuous Drunks
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:41:18 PM »
Had the pleasure of hanging with flyingbison and emerge tonight.  It was fun to have beer and friendly conversation as well as showing Steve some of the new places in Chicago that just opened up.  I wish it was more than a few days, bro.  If you are reading this and can go to the Bad Apple you must try the hangover burger that comes with two kinds of pork and a fried egg. 

After going to Half Acre we were awarded with free cans of Gossamer.  Not bad and the weekend starts tomorrow.

When our evening ended we parted ways and I got on my bus to go home.  I have always been envious of the lushes who would drink on the bus without worry bit I could never summon up the courage to do the same.  Tonight, however, I was armed with craft beer in a can and six beers in the belly.  I popped open my beer and brought out my book and went to town.  I convinced myself, rather easily, that what I was drinking would be mistaken for an energy drink.  It's bright yellow after all.  No need for brown paper.  A shame I just discovered this.

Where do you drink that's not socially acceptable?  Besides work.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: Admiration for Conspicuous Drunks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
I'll pour a beer into a big ass insulated coffee mug and walk around a couple small towns when I am taking a little mini-vacation. :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »

Here's to your new-found hobby :coffee:
I pondered doing the same, but me power walking and drinking =  :crash:
The hangover :hangover::thumbup: :excited:

Offline nchrist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »
We do car bar when we want to save money. Usually involves parking on the street and downing a couple of brews (always out of a glass, never the bottle) before going someplace. Usually we bring along peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so we don't have to buy food out, or we'll split an entree or something instead of buying two.

I have a couple car bar experiences that were lots of fun. We were doing a trip I think it was 2008 when the Badgers had clinched a share of the basketball Big Ten title and had one final game at Northwestern to win the title outright on my birthday, no less. My buddy kept wondering and worrying about where we were going to drink before the game because he was having a hard time finding a bar within walking distance, and I would ease his fears by reassuring him that in case of need, there was a bar in my car. We wandered around for a while and tried to find some place to get a drink, said fuck it and chilled out of the car for an hour drinking while parked on the street. I think there were four of us that day. The Badgers won.

Another great one was enjoying some Central Waters Mud Puppy Porter while parked in front of the Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone, trying to get a round in me before visiting the bar at the Inn. We were camping for two weeks (one night in a hotel in the middle to break up the trip, but otherwise sleeping outside every night) and so every comfort such as visiting the bar was very much appreciated, even more so when you already got a beer in ya.

Online fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »
I'll pour a beer into a big ass  :shrug:
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »

Never done that.  I have poured beer into an inflatable sheep's ass though.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »

Did Furley drink it?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »

Did Furley drink it?

Surprisingly, he wasn't present.

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »
 :hifive: :excited:  I drink on the bus/train all the time if the mood strikes me :thumbup:
“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 12:51:43 PM »
:hifive: :excited:  I drink on the bus/train all the time if the mood strikes me :thumbup:

How does this not surprise me. 

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
:hifive: :excited:  I drink on the bus/train all the time if the mood strikes me :thumbup:

Well, discretion and politeness goes along way with public drinking scenarios....no one cares if you're drinking on the bus if you're doing it quietly with your headphones on or something

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
:hifive: :excited:  I drink on the bus/train all the time if the mood strikes me :thumbup:

Well, discretion and politeness goes along way with public drinking scenarios....no one cares if you're drinking on the bus if you're doing it quietly with your headphones on or something

So what about when you drink on the bus?

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »

So what about when you drink on the bus?
:lol: :lol: shoulda seen that one coming... :thumbup:

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »
I probably couldn't do this sober but it made David Sedaris funnier.  My laughter was the only nuisance caused indirectly by drinking.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 10:05:23 AM »
Had the pleasure of hanging with flyingbison and emerge tonight.  It was fun to have beer and friendly conversation as well as showing Steve some of the new places in Chicago that just opened up.  I wish it was more than a few days, bro.  If you are reading this and can go to the Bad Apple you must try the hangover burger that comes with two kinds of pork and a fried egg. 

After going to Half Acre we were awarded with free cans of Gossamer.  Not bad and the weekend starts tomorrow.

When our evening ended we parted ways and I got on my bus to go home.  I have always been envious of the lushes who would drink on the bus without worry bit I could never summon up the courage to do the same.  Tonight, however, I was armed with craft beer in a can and six beers in the belly.  I popped open my beer and brought out my book and went to town.  I convinced myself, rather easily, that what I was drinking would be mistaken for an energy drink.  It's bright yellow after all.  No need for brown paper.  A shame I just discovered this.

Where do you drink that's not socially acceptable?  Besides work.

We do car bar when we want to save money. Usually involves parking on the street and downing a couple of brews (always out of a glass, never the bottle) before going someplace. Usually we bring along peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so we don't have to buy food out, or we'll split an entree or something instead of buying two.

I have a couple car bar experiences that were lots of fun. We were doing a trip I think it was 2008 when the Badgers had clinched a share of the basketball Big Ten title and had one final game at Northwestern to win the title outright on my birthday, no less. My buddy kept wondering and worrying about where we were going to drink before the game because he was having a hard time finding a bar within walking distance, and I would ease his fears by reassuring him that in case of need, there was a bar in my car. We wandered around for a while and tried to find some place to get a drink, said fuck it and chilled out of the car for an hour drinking while parked on the street. I think there were four of us that day. The Badgers won.

Another great one was enjoying some Central Waters Mud Puppy Porter while parked in front of the Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone, trying to get a round in me before visiting the bar at the Inn. We were camping for two weeks (one night in a hotel in the middle to break up the trip, but otherwise sleeping outside every night) and so every comfort such as visiting the bar was very much appreciated, even more so when you already got a beer in ya.

I miss good stories like this, from BL and Dr. Nick. You still drinking on the bus, GB?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 10:11:14 AM »
:goodposting:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »
How did you find this thread?  It is ten years old!

No, that was probably the only time.  I feel the stares too much.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 10:54:43 AM »
feels like now is prime time to be drinking in public spaces. things are more lax. on Friday or Saturday evenings i'll walk the dog while drinking a beer (or two). have even walked past, waved at and chatted with cops in the parking lot while my dog runs off leash and i sip a beer.  they don't care :shrug:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 11:01:24 AM »
feels like now is prime time to be drinking in public spaces. things are more lax. on Friday or Saturday evenings i'll walk the dog while drinking a beer (or two). have even walked past, waved at and chatted with cops in the parking lot while my dog runs off leash and i sip a beer.  they don't care :shrug:

I walk down to the park with a beer all of the time. :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »

I searched "Yellowstone", and Nick's post popped up. Fun to revisit.

Can't say i've imbibed publically much beyond my porch and bar patios. I remember drinking a Hacker-Pschorr in a paper bag like 20 years ago.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 11:15:49 AM »
Indianapolis has no open container laws, as long as you're not in a car.  Public intox can still kick in.  They even publicized this fact when the Super Bowl was here.  I've seen people walking down the street drinking out of half growlers.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »

How did I never see this thread before?  I don't recall where we went that specific trip, but I do recall getting some free short-fill cans at Half Acre.

Was this the time we met up at Fountainhead?  10 years is a long time.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 11:34:43 AM »

How did I never see this thread before?  I don't recall where we went that specific trip, but I do recall getting some free short-fill cans at Half Acre.

Maybe you did and forgot.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »

Maybe you did and forgot.

Good point.  Although, my memory was a lot better 10 years ago.  I think.