Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will permanently redirect to this discord server at 11:59 PM PST on 12/31/22.
Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Dr. Bug's Brewing + questions  (Read 24663 times)

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Re: Bracs brewing + questions
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
I don't want to deal with broken glass is the biggest issue.  Cheaper and lighter are bonuses.

Biggest downfall is possibility of scratches which means replacement way more than glass.

The only thing I put inside my bottles is an auto siphon, so I can't see where scratches might come from.

If I get a really active fermentation, I'll get foam residue that I can't get off without a brush.

The trick I read for that is to stick a washcloth in the bottle with the hot water and cleaner, and swish it around the crusted on shit until is slowly scrubs off.

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
Buckets for primary(I have a glass carboy but don't use it often) and kegs for the rare secondary.

I've heard good things about buckets for long term sours as long as you keep them still.  The slight air pick up can produce some pretty good unblended lambics.  If they get too sour you can dilute with younger product.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2013, 12:06:36 AM »
Just racked the hefe to a secondary to open up the 6.5 gallon fermenter for this coming weekend's trial run of the all-grain system.  It is tasting pretty nice, so I'll be happy when it finishes in a week or two and I put some carbonation on it.  I need to figure out if all my kegs are holding pressure or if I need some new poppets too.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2013, 12:52:50 AM »
Putting this on my wish list: http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Stainless-Steel-Basket_p_135.html

I'd be interested in seeing if it has any impact on extraction and also possibly using it as a filter after boiling the pellets free and running a pump down into the filter basket.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
Putting this on my wish list: http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Stainless-Steel-Basket_p_135.html

I'd be interested in seeing if it has any impact on extraction and also possibly using it as a filter after boiling the pellets free and running a pump down into the filter basket.

I was reading a thread on HBT about those things, and they looked awesome.  All the guys who chimed in that owned them were super happy with them.  They said there was no impact on extraction because there's tons of room for the hops to move around, plus the wort flows freely through the mesh.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »
I don't know a damn thing about electricity, so any help will be greatly appreciated.  I have my March pump and I plan to get a second one before too long.  Because of this, I want to wire up a project box with a double plug outlet with each of the plugs separated so I can run a toggle switch to control each.  I have a GFCI plug outside where I do my brewing, so running my cord to that will give me that protection that I need, so no need for the plug in the box to be GFCI as well.  My question is, when I buy my toggle switches, what specs will they need for voltage and amperage?  Also, I assume I can run a single cord to the box to power two pumps as I run a ton of shit off of a single power strip all the time and this will be basically a 2-outlet power strip with toggle switches for each outlet.  Any help is appreciated.  I don't want to fuck up when playing with electricity.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2013, 07:04:08 AM »
I don't know a damn thing about electricity, so any help will be greatly appreciated.  I have my March pump and I plan to get a second one before too long.  Because of this, I want to wire up a project box with a double plug outlet with each of the plugs separated so I can run a toggle switch to control each.  I have a GFCI plug outside where I do my brewing, so running my cord to that will give me that protection that I need, so no need for the plug in the box to be GFCI as well.  My question is, when I buy my toggle switches, what specs will they need for voltage and amperage?  Also, I assume I can run a single cord to the box to power two pumps as I run a ton of shit off of a single power strip all the time and this will be basically a 2-outlet power strip with toggle switches for each outlet.  Any help is appreciated.  I don't want to fuck up when playing with electricity.

You want to match your switches to your circuit.  If you have a 15A circuit (most likely), get 15A switches.  Make sure the cord you run from the box to the outlet is also rated for 15A, I'd get a replacement cord for power tools if it was me. 

I checked March's website, and the 815 pump pulls 1.4A, so two of them on your one GFCI outlet will be fine, with plenty of headroom for other devices.  Amps are cumulative, so both pumps running will pull 2.8A, but they'll pull probably double that when you first turn them on, and normalize in less than a second.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2013, 08:16:08 AM »

You want to match your switches to your circuit.  If you have a 15A circuit (most likely), get 15A switches.  Make sure the cord you run from the box to the outlet is also rated for 15A, I'd get a replacement cord for power tools if it was me. 

I checked March's website, and the 815 pump pulls 1.4A, so two of them on your one GFCI outlet will be fine, with plenty of headroom for other devices.  Amps are cumulative, so both pumps running will pull 2.8A, but they'll pull probably double that when you first turn them on, and normalize in less than a second.
:cheers:  This is stuff I need to learn more about.  Thanks man.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »
Electricity is scary because it can kill you, but it's all based on simple math.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »
I thought there was an article about this in BYO a while back.  They took a plastic tool box and mounted the pumps and wiring inside the box.  When you need the pumps just open the box and plug it in. 

Update:  Here is one I found on Homebrewtalk.

http://www.lugwrenchbrewing.com/2010/04/wort-pump-in-toolbox-3-build-steps.html
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »
Got the 3724 starter going tonight after dinner.  Plan to let it grow till Saturday morning when I brew the saison.  I'm using a better bottle for the first time for the primary of this one.  I'm hoping to bring my efficiency up from the last one as I figure out how to really dial in my equipment.  I really need to get a refractometer to do fast and easy readings on the run

Those of you that batch sparge, do you have a false bottom, manifold, or stainless braid in your tun?  I'm using a stainless braid and did a batch spare on the first run a few weeks ago, but I am contemplating building a manifold out of CPVC.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »
Got the 3724 starter going tonight after dinner.  Plan to let it grow till Saturday morning when I brew the saison.  I'm using a better bottle for the first time for the primary of this one.  I'm hoping to bring my efficiency up from the last one as I figure out how to really dial in my equipment.  I really need to get a refractometer to do fast and easy readings on the run

Those of you that batch sparge, do you have a false bottom, manifold, or stainless braid in your tun?  I'm using a stainless braid and did a batch spare on the first run a few weeks ago, but I am contemplating building a manifold out of CPVC.

I have a copper manifold that I made myself out of copper joints and Ts, with some 1/2" pipe.  Used a dremmel to cut the copper to length and slot the shit out of the long pieces.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »
Hefe finished at 1.010 and I tossed it in a keg and have it under pressure.  I took a reading on the IPA today and it fermented out dry as hell down to 1.001.  It still tasted raw, but there is at least something to work with as it conditions and sits in the keg to round out.  I'll move the IPA up to the fridge tomorrow for a 2-day crash and plan to keg it out on Monday.  I guess this means I need a gas splitter so I can have carbonation on two kegs at once. 

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
I brewed the saison today.  My efficiency sucks ass.  Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it the crush on the malt I am getting.  I'm hitting right around 60%.  I want to replace my stainless braid with a manifold, so maybe next weekend I will work on that when my dad is here again.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »
I brewed the saison today.  My efficiency sucks ass.  Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it the crush on the malt I am getting.  I'm hitting right around 60%.  I want to replace my stainless braid with a manifold, so maybe next weekend I will work on that when my dad is here again.

I don't think that will change your efficiency.  Are you batch sparging?

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »

Yup.  Looking to change to the manifold because the braid won't stay on the bottom of the tun and I might look to do batch sparging in the future.  I know that won't help with efficiency at this point.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

Yup.  Looking to change to the manifold because the braid won't stay on the bottom of the tun and I might look to do batch sparging in the future.  I know that won't help with efficiency at this point.

I mash with whatever BeerSmith tells me to use, then I take my sparge water and split it in half.  I put half in the mash tun, soak for 10 minutes, vorlauf, drain.  Repeat with the second half.  Works pretty well for me.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2013, 08:23:30 PM »

I mash with whatever BeerSmith tells me to use, then I take my sparge water and split it in half.  I put half in the mash tun, soak for 10 minutes, vorlauf, drain.  Repeat with the second half.  Works pretty well for me.

After reviewing my recipe in beersmith, I found that I fucked up on something simple that threw off my mash temp just slightly, so that is certainly part of the issue.  Never will make that mistake again.  I'm new to beersmith, so it is a learning curve for sure.  The beer should still hit 7% and the wort tasted where I thought it should, so I am not going to sweat it too much right now.

Edit: In beersmint, what efficiency is the one I should be looking at?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:27:18 PM by braconid »

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »

After reviewing my recipe in beersmith, I found that I fucked up on something simple that threw off my mash temp just slightly, so that is certainly part of the issue.  Never will make that mistake again.  I'm new to beersmith, so it is a learning curve for sure.  The beer should still hit 7% and the wort tasted where I thought it should, so I am not going to sweat it too much right now.

Edit: In beersmint, what efficiency is the one I should be looking at?

No clue.  I usually don't pay much attention to gravity (I know, poor form) just brew and enjoy.  Today I checked because the guy at the shop warned me.  Beersmith says my measured efficiency was 71.7, but that doesn't add up.  That's why I usually ignore this stuff, it's annoying.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2013, 11:42:56 AM »
Does anyone have a grain mill that they like/would recommend or know of one within the 100-150 range that would be worth looking at?  I hear conflicting news on the barley crusher and consistently good things about the monster mill, but I want to hear what people I trust have to say about it.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
Does anyone have a grain mill that they like/would recommend or know of one within the 100-150 range that would be worth looking at?  I hear conflicting news on the barley crusher and consistently good things about the monster mill, but I want to hear what people I trust have to say about it.

I've been looking at the Monster Mill due to the same lukewarm reviews on the barley crusher.  I haven't bought one yet, but I'm looking at the 3-roller 1.5.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2013, 09:28:34 PM »
Had my first pull off of the hefeweizen keg last night.  It needs time to carbonate still.  I've been rocking it as much as I can the past week, so it is coming along nicely. 

Tonight, I racked the citra IPA into a keg after cold crashing it for 2 days.  The difference between it now and a week ago is incredible.  I think I am going to be really happy with it once it is carbonated up.  I might have to look at brewing another IPA sooner than later because that one will not last a long time at all with how it tastes now without time to condition a little longer and come together. 

The saison is still limping along after being in the fermenter since Saturday.  I would assume I am in the 1.035 range where it stagnates.  I have a heating pad on it as much as I can to try and push it through.  I may look at getting a space heater in the next day or so and put it in a back closet to see if I can dial in a temperature around 80-85. 

I am not sure what I am going to do next.  I want to do a berliner, but I think I will wait for summer so I can do a sour mash and keep the temps up on that overnight to sour it up.  Maybe just another IPA to keep one in the pipeline for after I finish the citra. 

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »
Don't be shy about rousing the yeast in that saison at this point...

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
I asked my wife to grab a small space heater at walmart today and I will be looking for a confined closet/area to keep it and jack the temperature. 

Anything else I should be thinking of doing with it?  I'm still getting a slow but steady co2 bubble, but I want to dry this think out.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:01 PM »
I asked my wife to grab a small space heater at walmart today and I will be looking for a confined closet/area to keep it and jack the temperature. 

Anything else I should be thinking of doing with it?  I'm still getting a slow but steady co2 bubble, but I want to dry this think out.

Working on dialing in the heater in the back room, but I have it hovering right around 90 in there now and fermentation seems to be ramping up like a bastard after just a little bit of time in the hot room.  I bet it takes at least half a day to normalize to the room temp, so I'm excited to see where this goes from here.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
Citra IPA is mostly carbed but still feels a little raw.  I'm going to give it a half a week and revisit.  Hefe is fantastical.  Saison is still churning away, bubbling like a mother at 85-90 degrees.  What to brew next weekend...

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
Citra IPA is mostly carbed but still feels a little raw.  I'm going to give it a half a week and revisit.  Hefe is fantastical.  Saison is still churning away, bubbling like a mother at 85-90 degrees.  What to brew next weekend...

Something straight session.  Less than 4%.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »

Something straight session.  Less than 4%.

Was thinking a session IPA with a maltier base, marris, crystal, maybe some munich, and hop the ever living fuck out of it with amarillo, galaxy, citra, simcoe, and cascade

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »

I pulled the trigger on this today.  I have already wasted some grain having to buy it crushed and in pound increments, so this will give me a little more shelf-life on grains.  I'm also hoping that this will increase my efficiency while I am at it. 

The next thing I need to do is start a yeast bank.  Having access to lab equipment will make this easier.  I'm getting sick of paying 7 bucks for yeast that lasts me one brew.  I know I can wash and pitch on cakes and all, but I think having frozen yeast and building a starter each time I want to use that strain will be a lot easier.  I know I'll be burning through 1056 and the hefe strain, so I may as well keep those on hand, if not others.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
Do you mean hop the fuck out of it like this?

Pliny The Elder
By SaveTheAles

This is my favorite commercial DIPA, and one of the best batches of DIPA I’ve brewed. Thanks to Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing for sharing his recipe with the homebrewing community. He gave me his permission to post it here.
Target OG: 1.074

Target FG: 1.014

IBU’s: 95-100 (despite the IBU calculator results)

ABV: 7.95%

SRM: about 7-8

The following grain amounts are based on collecting a pre-boil wort size of 8.0 gal. The corresponding Promash batch size is 6.2 gal and assumes 75% efficiency. With a vigorous 90 min. boil, losses due to evaporation, hop absorption, and transfers, the final amount should be close to 5 gal.

Malt Bill

13.3 lbs. Pale North American 2-row

1.1 lbs. Dextrose (aka corn sugar)

.94 lb. Carapils (aka dextrin)

.32 lb. Crystal 45L

Note: Can substitute Crisp Maris Otter for the North American 2-row for a more noticeable malt character. The beer will also be a bit darker. However, the actual Pliny uses a North American 2-row, very little crystal, and is very pale.

Hop Bill

(Use all whole flowers; only exception is Simcoe if can’t find them whole)

1.50 oz. Chinook 13.0% Mash Hops

2.75 oz. Warrior 15.6% 90 min.

.50 oz. Chinook 13.0% 90 min.

1.00 oz. Simcoe 12.0% 45 min.

1.00 oz. Columbus 14.3% 30 min.

2.25 oz. Centennial 9.1% 0 min.

1.00 oz. Simcoe 12.0% 0 min.

3.25 oz. Columbus 14.5% (Dryhop 2 weeks)

1.75 oz. Centennial 9.1% (Dryhop 2 weeks)

1.75 oz. Simcoe 12.0% (Dryhop 2 weeks)

You also need to start thinking about winter:

Wheat Triplebock from Livery
(sorry if the numbers are a bit screwy because I converted up from my odd 3.5 gallon batch size)

Recipe Specifics
---
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 22.68
Anticipated OG: 1.106
Anticipated SRM: 25.8
Anticipated IBU: 30.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 64 %
Wort Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
---
7.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany
5.71 lbs. Munich Malt (dark) Germany
5.36 lbs. Pilsener Germany
2.86 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany
1.25 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain

Hops
---
1.07 oz. Perle @ 60 min.
0.71 oz. Tettnang @ 15 min.
0.36 oz. Perle @ 15 min.

Yeast
---
White Labs WLP833 German Bock Lager

Mash Schedule
---
60 min @ 155

I brewed the beer yesterday morning, ended up just adding the whole pound of crystal to my 3.5 gal batch. The beer turned out a very dark brown, but with dark red highlights when held up to the light. After getting it down to 48 I pitched the yeast cake from the Helles. It only had a thin krausen by this morning, but it should be rocking by tonight.

just racked this one to secondary and crash cooled it to 34 last night. Thankfully the dark crystal malt flavor is not overdone. It has a light roasted character with some dark fruit, but no big raisin (Special B) component.

It ended up a few points sweeter than I was aiming, 1.030 (72% AA) instead of 1.025 (76% AA), but it certainly tastes the part of a big dark lager. Hopefully it will be ready to bottle in ~2 months.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2013, 07:57:30 PM »
Let me know what you think of the mill once you get it.  That's the model I've been keeping an eye on.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »
my GB has a Barley Crusher that works like a champ: http://www.dubbeldachs.com/project_mill.htm

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2013, 09:26:32 PM »
I finished the pump control box that I started a month or so ago.  Plugged it in and and the switches lit up when flipped.  Plugged a heating pad into the outlets and nothing tripped or exploded.  Looks like it is ready to use  :pickle:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 09:00:10 PM »
I had planned on brewing my lower ABV rye IPA this coming weekend, but I bought the grains for that and my wit.  The smack pack for the wit arrived ready to burst, so I am building a starter for it and doing the wit on Saturday now.  I'm a little bummed about that.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2013, 05:04:57 AM »
Brew both of them.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2013, 07:32:46 AM »

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2013, 11:19:13 AM »
Brew both of them.
:goodposting:

This seems like the right answer.
If I had the open fermenter space, I would.  I only have 1 open right now because the saison is still just chugging away at 90 degrees.  I need to find a BOGO on better bottles and buy 2 so I get 4.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2013, 05:25:37 PM »
The saison is still cruising, but really freaking slow.  After 3 weeks it is only down to 1.030.  I'm hoping that it is on the far end of the stall zone and it will just take off and finish sooner than later.  It smells and tastes good, but is certainly too sweet still.  I gave it a good swirl to get the yeast back up off the bottom, so hopefully that will help too. 

I hit all my marks on the wit today.  I let it settle out for 45 minutes with a good stir to get a whirlpool going , but still got a bunch of shit off the bottom and had to leave behind way too much in the bottom of the boil kettle.  I'm going to look into building a whirlpool arm that i can hang over the edge of my kettle to recirculate the wort while chilling and then leave it on to whirlpool the wort and see if I can't get a nice trub cone.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »
I did a goofy amber saison last weekend with the strain that likes to stall(wlp565?) even though it'll need to be ready for the June 1st wedding.  Getting kinda worried after seeing that yours is still at 1.030 and at 90.  Think we have it ramped to 85 now because I was worried about sitting at 90-95 for too long... might bump it up now to try to power through the stall.

Pitching the thick slurry from the brewery into the oatmeal stout seemed to be pretty good.  I wouldn't have minded a touch of fruity English esters in it but I can't argue with enough free yeast that I don't have to make a starter  :thumbup:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2013, 11:35:09 PM »
I did a goofy amber saison last weekend with the strain that likes to stall(wlp565?) even though it'll need to be ready for the June 1st wedding.  Getting kinda worried after seeing that yours is still at 1.030 and at 90.  Think we have it ramped to 85 now because I was worried about sitting at 90-95 for too long... might bump it up now to try to power through the stall.

Pitching the thick slurry from the brewery into the oatmeal stout seemed to be pretty good.  I wouldn't have minded a touch of fruity English esters in it but I can't argue with enough free yeast that I don't have to make a starter  :thumbup:

I've been reading around and think that if I use this strain again, I will just pitch it at 90 and let it go.  I'm also toying with brewing another saison to toss on the cake when I move this one into a secondary (who knows when) and ferment it hot to see if I can get it to just chew the fuck out of some sugars.  If I do and it works, I will then take it to 3 generations and do a brett saison, just because I can.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2013, 06:45:40 AM »
I remember reading a thread on BA years ago where a guy was using that strain to brew Saisons in his garage in the summer.  In Texas.  I don't think you can get it too hot ;D

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
I remember reading a thread on BA years ago where a guy was using that strain to brew Saisons in his garage in the summer.  In Texas.  I don't think you can get it too hot ;D
That's where I put mine. A week of 90 degree days (Wyeast Saison) did the trick :thumbup: Great batch!

And then I over primed and they blew up. <_<
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
Drew Bechum has some great tips on brewing saisons in the latest BA mag.  Some saison yeast is pressure sensitive so use sanitized aluminum foil not air lock.  One of the best tips I hear time and time again is never start yeast out hot.  Start them out cool for the first 3-4 days and then ramp them up to the hotter temps.  If you go full heat right away it greats all the solvent, ethanol, acetone harsh flavors.  But if you let them go through the first few stages of fermentation than raise the temp you get much more of the wonderful esters, and phenolics flavors.  This is true for saison yeast and weizen yeast as well as many more yeast. 

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
Drew Bechum has some great tips on brewing saisons in the latest BA mag.  Some saison yeast is pressure sensitive so use sanitized aluminum foil not air lock.  One of the best tips I hear time and time again is never start yeast out hot.  Start them out cool for the first 3-4 days and then ramp them up to the hotter temps.  If you go full heat right away it greats all the solvent, ethanol, acetone harsh flavors.  But if you let them go through the first few stages of fermentation than raise the temp you get much more of the wonderful esters, and phenolics flavors.  This is true for saison yeast and weizen yeast as well as many more yeast.
:cheers:  Thanks for the info.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
I have also drank many "mistakes" so others down have to.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »
I have also drank many "mistakes" so others down have to.

I'd also recommend never skipping the sugar.  I tried it out, and it was way too heavy.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Very, very true.  My rule of thumb is keep it cool through high krausen and then start ramping.  You can ramp earlier but theres no need to rush it.  This is my first time using the WLP565, though.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »
Build this for the round cooler just need to cut the grooves tomorrow or later tonight if I can.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »
Putting a square peg in a round hole?  :unsure: