Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will permanently redirect to this discord server at 11:59 PM PST on 12/31/22.
Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Dr. Bug's Brewing + questions  (Read 24664 times)

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
Re: Bracs brewing + questions
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
Putting a square peg in a round hole?  :unsure:

A square manifold in a round mash tun  :mellow:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2013, 07:02:24 PM »
Those of you using paint strainers, what are they made out of?  The only ones I can find are nylon (I think) and I worry about using that in a boil.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »
Those of you using paint strainers, what are they made out of?  The only ones I can find are nylon (I think) and I worry about using that in a boil.

I'm using mine post-boil.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
The saison is down to 1.006 today!   :pickle:  It might be time for a little dry hop and then try to get it kegged and carbed up. 

Pwoody and Jaysus - any ideas how low can I expect the gravity to go using the DuPont strain, based on your experiences? 

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »

That was what I hoped to hear.  :cheers:  I still have it in primary after about 5.5 weeks.  Should I worry about moving it to a secondary when I dry hop it or just add to the primary (do you think it is okay for me to move it to secondary/dry hop it today with the expectation of kegging it mid-next week)?  I know this strain is fickle and can be unpredictable.  I only ask because of an impending trip out of town.  I'd rather get it chilling in a keg and carbing while gone if I can.

I guess what I am asking is, would you try and get it in keg before I leave next week or let it sit another 3 weeks and then dry hop and keg?

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »
get it in the keg... I would be happy with .006

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »
I'd sprinkle the hops into the primary now and keg it 7 days later.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
get it in the keg... I would be happy with .006
I'd sprinkle the hops into the primary now and keg it 7 days later.

Thanks again gents.  Dry hops are in and the keg is holding starsan as we speak.  I need to kill at least one of my kegs this week so I have 2 ready.  I racked the wit over, added another quarter ounce of coriander and an ounce of citra to it. It should be good to go into a keg in a week as well.

I'm brewing the session-ish rye IPA tomorrow.  I finally locked in the hop bill, so we'll see what comes of it.

0.30 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.40 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
I'd get it off that yeast.  Don't want to risk autolosys flavors and 5.5 weeks is more than pushing it.  Put some dry hops in a bag, tie thin string/fishing line to it, and dangle it in the keg while you carb.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »
Brew day went well.  I finally set up my two pumps to see how they work.  It was nice to set my equipment up and not have to move anything through the day at all.  I need a few cam locks for the second pump and hoses, but otherwise it was pretty nice.  The new manifold made a huge difference on my efficiency, going up over 10% from my best day before this.  Now I need to dial down my crush and push it a littler further up.  I built a whirlpool arm for moving wort around my chiller and then whirlpooling after chilling things down.  It worked really well.  Here is the turd that was left in the bottom of the kettle when I was all done.  I still got a bit of garbage in the fermenter, but not as much as I have before.  I would call this one a success so far.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
I just floated my Citra IPA keg.  Now I have space for both beers that go into keg on Tuesday next week.  :pickle:

Between beers, do you all just run starsan through the keg or do you do more to clean it?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
I just floated my Citra IPA keg.  Now I have space for both beers that go into keg on Tuesday next week.  :pickle:

Between beers, do you all just run starsan through the keg or do you do more to clean it?

I fill it with 3 gallons of hot water and some homemade PBW and carb enough to seal the keg.  Shake the shit out of it and let it sit for 20 mins.  Then I flip it over so the top half gets clean and let it sit for 20 mins.  I dump that out, push down the poppet on the liquid side to get the dip tube emptied, and dump that out.  Next is a gallon of star san.  I have a cobra tap and liquid disconnect with 1' of tubing, so I attach that and open the tap into a glass and carb it just long enough to push some of the star san out.  Disconnect everything, roll the star san around for a minute or two, and dump it out.  Probably overkill :shrug:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »

I fill it with 3 gallons of hot water and some homemade PBW and carb enough to seal the keg.  Shake the shit out of it and let it sit for 20 mins.  Then I flip it over so the top half gets clean and let it sit for 20 mins.  I dump that out, push down the poppet on the liquid side to get the dip tube emptied, and dump that out.  Next is a gallon of star san.  I have a cobra tap and liquid disconnect with 1' of tubing, so I attach that and open the tap into a glass and carb it just long enough to push some of the star san out.  Disconnect everything, roll the star san around for a minute or two, and dump it out.  Probably overkill :shrug:

Sounds about what I was going to do.  This is what I did when I cleaned them the first time; I didn't know if I needed to/should do the PBW between every keg or just do the starsan again. 

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »
I've gone right on top before but I really shouldn't recommend that, lol.

I wait until I have a few kegs to clean and do an assembly line.  I could easily do 4 kegs in an hour, but probably 6.

I pull everything apart(posts, gaskets, etc.)
soak all the pieces in oxiclean in a small bowl
rinse the keg with hot water
siphon hot oxiclean into the keg(completely filled)
start pulling apart the next keg and then rinse
scrub the oxicleaned kegged with carboy brush and small tube brush
siphon oxiclean from scrubbed keg to rinsed keg
rinse oxiclean out of scrubbed keg
start siphoning sanitizer into scrubbed keg
rinse parts and drop in small bowl of sanitizer
put everything back together and slosh around a few times
continue the routine on the next kegs while sloshing the sani'd keg a few times
open sani'd keg and siphon sanitizer into freshly scrubbed and rinsed keg
purge sani'd keg with co2
and on and on

Pulling everything apart every time is probably a little overkill but that's how I've always done it and I don't even think about it anymore.  Doesn't really waste any time either, if you're doing the assembly line since you'll need a little time for the oxiclean and sanitizer to soak.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
I usually just rinse with hot water between batches.

pwoods' technique is similar to my method when I actually clean them though.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
I'd get it off that yeast.  Don't want to risk autolosys flavors and 5.5 weeks is more than pushing it.  Put some dry hops in a bag, tie thin string/fishing line to it, and dangle it in the keg while you carb.

Just in the past day or so, the yeast has started to settle out.  I know time is not on my side.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2013, 02:58:29 AM »
I kegged my wit and the saison last night.  Put them under 25-30 PSI for 24 hours to put some bubble in it and then dialed back down to 13-15PSI tonight.  Pulled a glass of each and I am really excited to see where these go with some time under carbonation.  The saison is full of pineapple and tropical fruit from the yeast.  It is delicious and just needs time to cab up.  The wit is a bit green and needs time to meld together.  Both are good now; the saison was more than worth the wait.  The wit will get awesome with some time.  I fear my wife will not warm to it because of the dry hopping I did.  Here are some pics, wit then saison:

Offline JerseyToughGuys

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
they look delcious

I need to do a saison

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
Brewed a porter today.  Hit all the marks.  I'm using Wyeast 1968 for the first time.  Holy hell that yeast is flocculant. My starter looked like it had chunks in it and it settled out like a puddle of sludge when I took it off the stir plate.  Wow.   

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2013, 09:09:53 AM »
The guy that hooked me up with my kegs has a 4th of July party.  Yesterday, I brewed an extract Hefe for his party.  I hope that it will ease the process of getting another delivery of free cornies.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2013, 10:02:34 PM »
I bought a regulator and an oxygen stone last week and used it on the last two brews.  It has made a huge difference in the lag time.  If you don't have these things, I'd recommend it for sure.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47:26 PM »
I bought a regulator and an oxygen stone last week and used it on the last two brews.  It has made a huge difference in the lag time.  If you don't have these things, I'd recommend it for sure.

I'm going to ask about bigger oxygen tanks next time I'm at the welding supply place getting CO2.  Those little red cans don't last long at all.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »

I'm going to ask about bigger oxygen tanks next time I'm at the welding supply place getting CO2.  Those little red cans don't last long at all.

Not sure if they are available to the public.  Let me know if you can get one.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
I just bought a dual stage temperature controller that I will be using for controlling temps in a fermentation chamber.  I am likely to have 2, maybe 3 carboys going.  I will be buying a chest freezer to use as the fermentation chamber and I've been looking at the 7 and 8.8 cubic foot models.  I already have a regular fridge that I am using for conditioning/serving beer right now and I plan to do some modifications so I can use it to do some lagering if the fermentation chamber is at ale temps.    My question for you all is, how big of a freezer should I be angling for? 

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »
I just bought a dual stage temperature controller that I will be using for controlling temps in a fermentation chamber.  I am likely to have 2, maybe 3 carboys going.  I will be buying a chest freezer to use as the fermentation chamber and I've been looking at the 7 and 8.8 cubic foot models.  I already have a regular fridge that I am using for conditioning/serving beer right now and I plan to do some modifications so I can use it to do some lagering if the fermentation chamber is at ale temps.    My question for you all is, how big of a freezer should I be angling for?

You're only getting two carboys in a 7-8 cu ft freezer, and the price nearly doubles going up to the next size.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »

You're only getting two carboys in a 7-8 cu ft freezer, and the price nearly doubles going up to the next size.

Maybe I need to make the existing fridge the fermentation chamber and use the chest freezer for conditioning kegs.  I think I can get at least 4 carboys in the fridge.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »
I just brewed a Flanders Red ale with Roselare blend, thus starting my trip into using things other than just brewers yeast in my fermentations.  I plan to let this one go in primary for 3-5 weeks, rack it and rack directly onto the cake.  Everything I read says that generation 2 out of the blend is the best, and things start to tail off after generation 3.  I'll go 3 generations with this pack and let them all age a year or so.  I might add some oak spirals to one or two of them to add some depth.  I think I am going to try a sour mash berliner next.  We'll see how that goes.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »
I just brewed a Flanders Red ale with Roselare blend, thus starting my trip into using things other than just brewers yeast in my fermentations.  I plan to let this one go in primary for 3-5 weeks, rack it and rack directly onto the cake.  Everything I read says that generation 2 out of the blend is the best, and things start to tail off after generation 3.  I'll go 3 generations with this pack and let them all age a year or so.  I might add some oak spirals to one or two of them to add some depth.  I think I am going to try a sour mash berliner next.  We'll see how that goes.

Be careful with the spirals.  A little goes a long way.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »
I love the Roselare blend.  I won second place in MCAB with a flat but tasty flanders red.  Only bad review was no carb.  drinking one now (6 years later) and still tasty (but little carb).
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2013, 11:48:35 PM »
I love the Roselare blend.  I won second place in MCAB with a flat but tasty flanders red.  Only bad review was no carb.  drinking one now (6 years later) and still tasty (but little carb).

Nice.  I plan to keg it (maybe blend some) and force the carbonation. 

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »
I just built a dual-stage temp controller.  It turned on and didn't make any smoke or fire.  Now to plug some stuff in and see if it is sending power to the outlets correctly.  When I got done, bracwife asked what it was for and I told her the chest freezer we don't have yet  :lol:

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »
I just built a dual-stage temp controller.  It turned on and didn't make any smoke or fire.  Now to plug some stuff in and see if it is sending power to the outlets correctly.  When I got done, bracwife asked what it was for and I told her the chest freezer we don't have yet  :lol:
:lol: :thumbup:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »
I just ordered ingredients for my next 3 batches.  I'm going to re-brew the Flanders Red and pitch it directly on the cake of the batch from a few weeks ago.  I am going to do a 7% Galaxy/2-row (almost) SMaSH, subbing out the bittering addition for magnum (8 ounces of galaxy in total in the bill).  I dialed in a RIS based on commentary from a few different sources, including you fine people here. 

18 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate
1 lbs 8.0 oz Roasted Barley
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
1 lbs White Wheat Malt
12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min
2.0 pkg Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) -starter size DBD based on date of packaging

Pwoody, when would you add EKG to the mix?  Were you talking early, mid, late addition?

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »

These became mine tonight.  I'm up to 8 kegs now  :pickle:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2013, 11:00:51 PM »

I still only have three. :(

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »

If I keep on with the sweet deal I have going here, I'll have a few to share around to others before too long.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2013, 11:05:17 PM »

If I keep on with the sweet deal I have going here, I'll have a few to share around to others before too long.

:thumbup:

I thought I had a line on four more cheap via Craigslist, but someone beat me to them.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »
And just like that, it looks like I bought two more kegs via Craigslist.   :thumbup:

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »

That tank is beggin' for some insect airbrushin'

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I just ordered ingredients for my next 3 batches.  I'm going to re-brew the Flanders Red and pitch it directly on the cake of the batch from a few weeks ago.  I am going to do a 7% Galaxy/2-row (almost) SMaSH, subbing out the bittering addition for magnum (8 ounces of galaxy in total in the bill).  I dialed in a RIS based on commentary from a few different sources, including you fine people here. 

18 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
1 lbs White Wheat Malt
2.0 pkg Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) -starter size DBD based on date of packaging

Pwoody, when would you add EKG to the mix?  Were you talking early, mid, late addition?
I'd think 2oz at 15 or 20 and another ounce or 2 at or near flame out would hold up until Christmas.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »

18 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
1 lbs White Wheat Malt

I'd think 2oz at 15 or 20 and another ounce or 2 at or near flame out would hold up until Christmas.
:cheers:  I happen to have 8 ounces of EKG in the hops collection

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »

RIS mash.  9.6 gallons total volume in a 10 gallon cooler.  Predicted OG was 1.097 @65% efficiency.  We hit 1.094, so it is predicted to round out around 9-9.5 depending on attenuation.  This is the first brew in the new fermentation chamber.  I have it dialed in at 65 degrees and will push it up a degree a day till it hits 70 and hold it there for the rest of the 4 weeks I expect it to take before it will go into secondary for a 5-6 month conditioning rest. 

When you all do long term conditioning, do you hold it at room temp or do you cold condition it?  I've read people doing both, but figured that room temperature was the better option.  Just looking for opinions. 

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2013, 12:20:50 AM »

RIS mash.  9.6 gallons total volume in a 10 gallon cooler.  Predicted OG was 1.097 @65% efficiency.  We hit 1.094, so it is predicted to round out around 9-9.5 depending on attenuation.  This is the first brew in the new fermentation chamber.  I have it dialed in at 65 degrees and will push it up a degree a day till it hits 70 and hold it there for the rest of the 4 weeks I expect it to take before it will go into secondary for a 5-6 month conditioning rest. 

When you all do long term conditioning, do you hold it at room temp or do you cold condition it?  I've read people doing both, but figured that room temperature was the better option.  Just looking for opinions.
Nice!  Low efficiency sucks but that's pretty typical with a very full mash tun.  As far as long term conditioning, I've never really used a secondary except for the first few batches I did(I have used a keg as a secondary a couple times).  If it were me, I'd let it sit in primary for 2-4 weeks, cold crash for a couple days before racking to a keg, and let sit at room temp(70) for a month(with just touch of co2 layered on top).  Then put it in the kegerator, carb, and taste occasionally.  If it doesn't seem to be aging fast enough then you can always take it out and let it sit warm.  It won't hurt anything unless you let it sit very warm.  If you go warm/cold/warm/cold about a dozen times, you'll get chill haze, but that won't matter in a RIS  :P

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2013, 09:05:24 AM »
Adding more oxygen at 18 hours made a big f'ing mess  :lol:

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
lol

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2013, 07:09:57 PM »
Nice!  Low efficiency sucks but that's pretty typical with a very full mash tun.  As far as long term conditioning, I've never really used a secondary except for the first few batches I did(I have used a keg as a secondary a couple times).  If it were me, I'd let it sit in primary for 2-4 weeks, cold crash for a couple days before racking to a keg, and let sit at room temp(70) for a month(with just touch of co2 layered on top).  Then put it in the kegerator, carb, and taste occasionally.  If it doesn't seem to be aging fast enough then you can always take it out and let it sit warm.  It won't hurt anything unless you let it sit very warm.  If you go warm/cold/warm/cold about a dozen times, you'll get chill haze, but that won't matter in a RIS  :P

I forgot to take into account that I pitched the whole 2L starter into the beer, so that knocked down the gravity 5-10 points.  I checked gravity on it today (day 5) and it is down to 1.023 and the yeast are still chewing a little bit.  I'm going to give it another week and a half and then will move it to a secondary to sit for the long haul.  I tasted it and it has potential.  It needs to come together a bit, but it will do.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »

I forgot to take into account that I pitched the whole 2L starter into the beer, so that knocked down the gravity 5-10 points.  I checked gravity on it today (day 5) and it is down to 1.023 and the yeast are still chewing a little bit.  I'm going to give it another week and a half and then will move it to a secondary to sit for the long haul.  I tasted it and it has potential.  It needs to come together a bit, but it will do.
Yeah, way too early to tell what it'll taste like, but the yeast seem to have done their job.  If it looks to be stalling, give it a gentle swirl to get some back up in suspension.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »

Yeah, way too early to tell what it'll taste like, but the yeast seem to have done their job.  If it looks to be stalling, give it a gentle swirl to get some back up in suspension.

I'm more worried about them chewing too much and leaving me no residual sugars.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
I knocked out a simple IPA today.  17 lbs 2-row, 1.25 magnum at 60, 1 galaxy at 15, 10, 5, 2 ounces at 0, 1056 yeast and 3 ounces of galaxy dry hop for 7.  Predicted OG 1.069 and hit 1.066.  It is already building a nice krausen.