Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will permanently redirect to this discord server at 11:59 PM PST on 12/31/22.
Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Dr. Bug's Brewing + questions  (Read 24662 times)

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
Dr. Bug's Brewing + questions
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »
I've have been out of the brewing game for 4+ years now and it's about time for me to get things going again.  I want to hit the ground running and move right back into all grain.  I have a converted 10 gallon cylindrical beverage cooler for a mash tun and a converted rectangular cooler (most likely will be my HLT, but it is set up as a mash tun already too).  I have the turkey fryer for doing the boil, heating water, etc.  What I really need now to be self-sufficient is a stainless vessel to do full boils, I'd like a grain mill so I can control my crush, I need at least one chiller.  I will be buying some cornies to keg the beer and will just need to convert my existing kegerator from commercial to homebrew when I do that.  Might need to go with a 2-tap tower with one commercial and one homebrew or convince wife that I need a dedicated homebrew kegerator :ninja:  Beyond that I am not sure what else I need.  I have most of the inconsequential like a thermometer and hydrometer. 

I guess my real questions are, what should I be looking for in a kettle?  I want 15 gallons so I can do 10 gallon batches at some point.  I don't have a source of used kegs so a home conversion is not in the cards. 

I was looking at this: http://www.brew-magic.com/ketl_original_univ.html
Does anyone have an opinion or have other suggestions.  Same goes for grain mills.  What do folks recommend?  I think I can handle finding the cornies and the chillers, but suggestions are also welcomed.

:coffee:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:38:19 PM by braconid »

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
Re: About to resurrect my brewing hobby.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
I think you are pretty much on top of it!  Bre Magic is where I would have sent you for a keggle... altohugh I did just find a sweet deal on them posted at HBT.com - I'll see if I can find it again

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »
hmmm... looks like you'd have to modify them yourself:  http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/new-legal-sanke-kegs-available-176357/

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
I think you are pretty much on top of it!  Bre Magic is where I would have sent you for a keggle... altohugh I did just find a sweet deal on them posted at HBT.com - I'll see if I can find it again

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a keggle vs. a stainless pot?

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »

Price is the only advantage I know of for a keggle, but considering I got my first keggle for $1/pound at the scrap yard and the other two would have been $15 a piece if Oxy hadn't given them to me, they are WAY cheaper.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Homerbag

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
    • Some of the best Bengal Cats in the world
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »

The biggest advantage I see are the false bottoms. The false bottoms for keggles are not as effective and the selection is not as good. But the one I got works fine, just not as good as the ones for SS pots.

The other problem with keggles are the domed bottom. It is a little more difficult to get the wort from the dome. From what I figure is that is about a gallon of fluid. All you need is a pitcher to collect it, but it can be a hassle.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »

The biggest advantage I see are the false bottoms. The false bottoms for keggles are not as effective and the selection is not as good. But the one I got works fine, just not as good as the ones for SS pots.

The other problem with keggles are the domed bottom. It is a little more difficult to get the wort from the dome. From what I figure is that is about a gallon of fluid. All you need is a pitcher to collect it, but it can be a hassle.

I have yet to figure out a way to get that last bit of fluid out without also getting the hot break.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »

I have yet to figure out a way to get that last bit of fluid out without also getting the hot break.

Hot break that doesn't get filtered by the hops/stainless scrubby just goes in my fermenter.  :shrug:

Homer, with my diptube I only leave a couple ounces in the keg.  Do you use the FB to filter out the hops?

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »

Hot break that doesn't get filtered by the hops/stainless scrubby just goes in my fermenter.  :shrug:

Homer, with my diptube I only leave a couple ounces in the keg.  Do you use the FB to filter out the hops?

I need to switch from my bazooka tube to a dip tube. It seems so much better. I'd also like to get one of those sight tubes so I can estimate volumes better.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »

I need to switch from my bazooka tube to a dip tube. It seems so much better. I'd also like to get one of those sight tubes so I can estimate volumes better.

I just added a gallon at a time and notched my mash paddle to measure, but I'll be getting a couple sight glasses in the near future.  Dip tube works great for me, took me a while to realize you needed a tube attached to the spigot to create a good siphon when I was testing it out though.

Offline Homerbag

• Double IPA
  • Getcha' Pull
    • Some of the best Bengal Cats in the world
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »

Yes. I transfer to another kettle that my chiller fits into better then use a funnel with a fine mesh screen to filter everything else that gets through.

I believe I have overlooked what you said and have not created enough of a "siphon" effect when I do this. . :furley: . . if I was that good I'd be pro.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »

Yes. I transfer to another kettle that my chiller fits into better then use a funnel with a fine mesh screen to filter everything else that gets through.

I believe I have overlooked what you said and have not created enough of a "siphon" effect when I do this. . :furley: . . if I was that good I'd be pro.

I've been fighting with (and losing) spared parts all afternoon trying to make a diptube in the new e-hlt.  :hot:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 12:10:58 AM »
I think I have a name for my operation.  I think I'm going to go with "Spineless Brewing" in honor of my semester teaching invertebrate zoology.

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 01:04:26 AM »
I guess my real questions are, what should I be looking for in a kettle?  I want 15 gallons so I can do 10 gallon batches at some point.  I don't have a source of used kegs so a home conversion is not in the cards. 

Here's my inventory - http://epiphanybrewing.com/brewery-inventory/

Honestly I don't use the March 809 pump much, although I'm trying to incorporate it - like transferring sparge water.  I use the sump pump to run ice water through my immersion chiller (drops temps fast!) - after doing a whirlpool on the chilled wort I use an autosiphon to move it to the carboy.

The 15g pot is great for 90 minute boils of 5 gallon batches which usually start with at least 7.5g of collected wort.  No boil overs even with a vigorous boil.

Many of my friends use keggles - and they win a lot of home brewing awards.  So technique, good recipes, ingredients and fermentation regimines really do matter!

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 01:08:43 AM »
I also did a write up on the motorized JSP malt mill if you're interested...

http://epiphanybrewing.com/2008/03/29/motorizing-the-jsp-maltmill/

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
it is tough to end up with a legit 10 gallon batch with a 15.5 gallon vessel. once you figure in evaporation and losing some in the hot break, and wanting to have a little more than 5 gallons to leave a bit in the fermenters, i always seem to end up with 4.something gallons in each of two cornies, and that is even with being uncomfortably close to boil over at first. i have been using a lot of hops tho, so that can account for some of the difference too.

if you were serious about 10 gallon batches i would go with a 20 gallon brewpot. but the price difference between that and a much cheaper option has to be weighed too, so maybe you're better off pocketing the difference and saving a bit and ignoring the gallon difference per batch. collecting 15+ gallons of wort and boiling the shit out of it would be :$: tho.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »
Do it, you pussy!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
 :lol:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
Do it, you pussy!

:lol:  Yes sir.  Right away sir. 

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »
 :coffee:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Today I got my kit to convert my kegerator to take cornie kegs with quick connects back to sankey, new gaskets for the kegs, sanitizer, ingredients for my first batch (extract to just put some miles in before I go all-grain in batch 2), and my kettle.  I already have a stainless wort chiller (needs some plumbing, but that is the cheap part), turkey fryer, carboys, 2 mash tuns with bulkheads and manifolds.  I am close to where I want to be in the end.  I just need some pumps and an electric heating system to complete a ghetto HERMS system.  I have my dad working on the heating component since he has a masters in mechanical engineering with a focus on fluid flow and thermodynamics.  I've already cleaned and autoclaved a 2L flask with stir bar and will grow my yeast starter at work early next week. 

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »
Today I got my kit to convert my kegerator to take cornie kegs with quick connects back to sankey, new gaskets for the kegs, sanitizer, ingredients for my first batch (extract to just put some miles in before I go all-grain in batch 2), and my kettle.  I already have a stainless wort chiller (needs some plumbing, but that is the cheap part), turkey fryer, carboys, 2 mash tuns with bulkheads and manifolds.  I am close to where I want to be in the end.  I just need some pumps and an electric heating system to complete a ghetto HERMS system.  I have my dad working on the heating component since he has a masters in mechanical engineering with a focus on fluid flow and thermodynamics.  I've already cleaned and autoclaved a 2L flask with stir bar and will grow my yeast starter at work early next week.

Awesome.  What are the first brews on the schedule?  How often do you plan to brew?

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »

Awesome.  What are the first brews on the schedule?  How often do you plan to brew?

Beer #1 is a bavarian hefe - 6lbs Wheat DME, 1 oz Hallertau at 60, 8 oz maltodextrins, Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat, ferment around 72 to pop the esters and phenols of the yeast.  2 weeks then keg and force.

Beer #2 TBD, but I want to do an IPA.  Looking for hops but can't find ones that I want to use.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »

Beer #1 is a bavarian hefe - 6lbs Wheat DME, 1 oz Hallertau at 60, 8 oz maltodextrins, Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat, ferment around 72 to pop the esters and phenols of the yeast.  2 weeks then keg and force.

Beer #2 TBD, but I want to do an IPA.  Looking for hops but can't find ones that I want to use.

What are you looking for?

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »

The elusive galaxy hops, at least for part of the bill.  I would probably go with magnum for bittering, galaxy (may that and amarillo) for flavor and aroma, and galaxy (maybe amarillo) for dry hop.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »

The elusive galaxy hops, at least for part of the bill.  I would probably go with magnum for bittering, galaxy (may that and amarillo) for flavor and aroma, and galaxy (maybe amarillo) for dry hop.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/hopsList.asp?idCategory=21

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »

:cheers:  I'll need to see if I can lay down a plan for the next 6 or so brews and make a big order.  I just haven't had the time to get much further than knowing I want to brew those two followed by a berliner.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »

:cheers:  I'll need to see if I can lay down a plan for the next 6 or so brews and make a big order.  I just haven't had the time to get much further than knowing I want to brew those two followed by a berliner.

I wouldn't dally long, those will probably be sold out sooner than later.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »
I just spent $50 on hops, but I have a pound of citra, 4 ounces of warrior, and 8 ounces of galaxy on the way.  Guess I need to be in the hop buying thread now too.  :bag:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
I just spent $50 on hops, but I have a pound of citra, 4 ounces of warrior, and 8 ounces of galaxy on the way.  Guess I need to be in the hop buying thread now too.  :bag:

Way to get back on the horse! :thumbup:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »

Dammit.  They didn't have the citra up when I ordered earlier today.

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »

Out of curiousity, why the .5 pound of maltodextrin?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »

Dammit.  They didn't have the citra up when I ordered earlier today.

Me either.  Probably a good thing or I'd be down another $44 bucks.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 09:23:26 PM »

Out of curiousity, why the .5 pound of maltodextrin?
because it is in the recipe I got from my old brewing partner from days gone.  Adding body, increasing the mouthfeel.  This recipe took first place at Beer and Sweat when I lived in Lexington, so I'll just go with it.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
 :shrug: Just seems like an odd thing for a hefeweizen.  Let me know how it turns out.  :thumbup:

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »

Boilovers suck

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 08:00:57 PM »
Fermcap will work wonders for boilovers.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »

:goodposting:

Essential when making a starter in a flask on the stove.  Thanks for sending it, smelly!

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »

Essential when making a starter in a flask on the stove.  Thanks for sending it, smelly!

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Re: Bracs brewing + questions
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
Just changed the title of this one since I will be posting questions and info about my brewing in here.  Hopefully I won't clutter up the form as much with this change.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »
What containers does everyone use for primary and secondary fermentation?  I will be looking to do some longer-term sour projects that will stay in the fermenters for a while along with other clean Saccharomyces strains that will be shorter term.  I know that I should keep bugs and clean beers segregated and have dedicated bug containers and hoses and all that stuff.  Just looking to hear what others are doing.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 06:47:26 AM »
Buckets for short term, better bottles for long term.  I'm not putting anything in secondary right now, just dry hopping in primary and kegging from there.  I plan on lagering in the keg also.  I plan on upgrading to better bottles for everything shortly, just have to feel like spending the ~$70 for two bottles and stoppers.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »
Buckets for primary (glass if needed).  Glass for secondary, sometimes kegs though depending on my pipeline.

Offline JerseyToughGuys

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »
what's the benefit of the better bottle? Price and weight?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 01:36:20 PM »
what's the benefit of the better bottle? Price and weight?

Price and weight are benefits.  I also really like not having the possibility of broken glass, especially with two young kids and a clutz for a wife.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
I don't want to deal with broken glass is the biggest issue.  Cheaper and lighter are bonuses.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »
I don't want to deal with broken glass is the biggest issue.  Cheaper and lighter are bonuses.

Biggest downfall is possibility of scratches which means replacement way more than glass.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »

Biggest downfall is possibility of scratches which means replacement way more than glass.

The only thing I put inside my bottles is an auto siphon, so I can't see where scratches might come from.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »

The only thing I put inside my bottles is an auto siphon, so I can't see where scratches might come from.

If I get a really active fermentation, I'll get foam residue that I can't get off without a brush.