search

Author Topic: What cider are you drinking today?  (Read 13793 times)

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
Re: What cider are you drinking today?
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2020, 10:08:29 AM »
I haven't too many English ciders but of all the countries that produce enough of them for me to try France is the best by far.  I had one that was a few years old and super funky.  A lot of brett; farmy and medicinal.  Maybe some would say fecal but I don't think it was quite there.  Off dry with a good amount of acidity and bubbles.

https://www.binnys.com/manoir-de-grandouet-cidre-fermier-brut-937594.html

That was... some good shit 8)
Never seen that one and I rarely pass up a French cider. I used to like the French ones the most until Basque ciders started to be imported.
In all seriousness, that was an awesome cider. Tons of Brett funk but well balanced.

You have had it?  Do you post your cider reviews here?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2020, 10:42:58 AM »
I haven't too many English ciders but of all the countries that produce enough of them for me to try France is the best by far.  I had one that was a few years old and super funky.  A lot of brett; farmy and medicinal.  Maybe some would say fecal but I don't think it was quite there.  Off dry with a good amount of acidity and bubbles.

Never seen that one and I rarely pass up a French cider. I used to like the French ones the most until Basque ciders started to be imported.
In all seriousness, that was an awesome cider. Tons of Brett funk but well balanced.

You shared it with me! I post cider, sake, mead reviews on Ratebeer.

February 18, 2017
Thanks [Borrowedladder] for sharing. Pops open with ample carbonation, nice light sparkle to it. Aroma has a bit of sterile gauze Brett and mild apple. Taste has a light residual sweetness, tart apple and crabapple, big cheesy funk with some tangy dry Brett in the aftertaste. I liked ths quite a bit and it really was a funk bomb.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »

February 18, 2017
Thanks [Borrowedladder] for sharing. Pops open with ample carbonation, nice light sparkle to it. Aroma has a bit of sterile gauze Brett and mild apple. Taste has a light residual sweetness, tart apple and crabapple, big cheesy funk with some tangy dry Brett in the aftertaste. I liked ths quite a bit and it really was a funk bomb.

You reviewed that.  That was three years ago!  You really do review everything we drink.  What about spirits?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2020, 12:25:16 PM »

February 18, 2017

You reviewed that.  That was three years ago!  You really do review everything we drink.  What about spirits?

Not really. I try new spirits pretty infrequently, and haven't really found a site to post reviews.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
Tieton Cider Works Cidermaker's Reserve

This cider is really frustrating as there are a lot of good flavors and it has complexity but everything is fleeting and light.  It dies on the swallow and what remains is the barrel.  It is bourbon barrel aged but the oak flavors of cinnamon and vanilla are present but not wood or bourbon or heat.  The apple is initially flavorful and aromatic but disappears midpalate.  It has just enough weight and acidity. Smells Calvodos -y and like a cider vinegar reduction (this would go great with pork) maybe some cranberry.

Pretty color, however.

I wanted to like this more for some reason.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2020, 07:38:32 PM »
Mayador Sidra Asturiana

This is funky and vinegary. Lots of brett character like leather and some horsiness.  Quite acetic but not overpowering.  Not complex but it is quite light.  Kinda smells like umeboshi. And tepache.  And those sour disc candies I can't remember. (the smooth convex ones.) Quite clean.  It does have a bit of a cleaning agent smell, too.

Overall I like it but there are better Spanish ciders.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2020, 02:51:20 AM »
Mayador Sidra Asturiana

This is funky and vinegary. Lots of brett character like leather and some horsiness.  Quite acetic but not overpowering.  Not complex but it is quite light.  Kinda smells like umeboshi. And tepache.  And those sour disc candies I can't remember. (the smooth convex ones.) Quite clean.  It does have a bit of a cleaning agent smell, too.

Overall I like it but there are better Spanish ciders.
I seen this one at a local store. Happy to see that it’s funky. Will probably pick up next time I see it.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »

Ribela Besta

A spontaneous, organic Galician cider dry-hopped with Cascade, Columbus, and Citra hops from the Pacific NW. :thumbup: Tons of Brett funk, sterile gauze, lightly tart, dry lingering horse blanket funk, a touch of bitterness. Might be overwhelming to some, but I was looking for a light funky sidra and this delivered. The only nitpick is that it’s probably 2-3 yrs. old, so the hop character has faded.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2020, 06:08:30 PM »
Ribela Sidra Natural

This is the more basic cider from Ribela, not as complex or funky. Tart and a little sweet, a touch of Brett funk.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »
Oliver’s At The Hop
Herefordshire, UK

Dark tawny orange, some foam when poured from a height. Slightly cloudy. Wild aroma, light sterile gauze, crabapple, orchard apples. Tart with a light bittersweet character, lots of apple skin tannins, light Brett funk, crabapple bitterness. Nicely balanced, medium bodied. Overall really enjoyable.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
Oliver’s At The Hop
Herefordshire, UK

Dark tawny orange, some foam when poured from a height. Slightly cloudy. Wild aroma, light sterile gauze, crabapple, orchard apples. Tart with a light bittersweet character, lots of apple skin tannins, light Brett funk, crabapple bitterness. Nicely balanced, medium bodied. Overall really enjoyable.
I generally stay away from English ciders. I prefer wild and funky ciders and the English tend to be straight up apple. Looks like Oliver's makes a wild cider, which I will look out for. But does this seems be straight up hopped cider. Does the wild you describe represent a yeast/bacteria wildness or that of the base apple?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2020, 03:44:30 PM »
Oliver’s At The Hop
Herefordshire, UK

I generally stay away from English ciders. I prefer wild and funky ciders and the English tend to be straight up apple. Looks like Oliver's makes a wild cider, which I will look out for. But does this seems be straight up hopped cider. Does the wild you describe represent a yeast/bacteria wildness or that of the base apple?
yeast/bacteria

Definitely some Brett in there, it could be wild yeast from the fruit skins. Not as crazy intense as Basque sidra, but on the wild and funky side. I can't drink sweet cider.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2020, 12:22:46 PM »

Foxbic
Collaboration between Mills Brewing, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, UK & Olivers Cider & Perry Herefordshire, UK

Foxbic was made using the turbid mash method in the style of traditional Lambic producers. The wort was fermented with Foxwhelp juice and cider lees in old oak barrela for 17 months. A true union of traditional cider making and beer brewing techniques.

Sounds pretty cool. No idea where to find this outside the UK though.

https://twitter.com/MillsBrewing/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:32:33 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2020, 05:49:39 PM »
Vander Mill Cider Brut

Zero sugar, clean, tart, crisp. Seems like it would have a wide appeal.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2020, 01:04:57 PM »
Sagardo Naturala / Sidra Natural Cider - Traditional
6% ABV • Gurutzeta Sagardotegia •

Got a little growler of this from Green Lady earlier this week, really nice. Full bodied, a little cloudy, lots of tannin and funky Brett. First sidra i’ve seen on draft, but Northman likely had it before they closed. :/

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »

Got a little growler of this from Green Lady earlier this week, really nice. Full bodied, a little cloudy, lots of tannin and funky Brett. First sidra i’ve seen on draft, but Northman likely had it before they closed. :/
I think this was one of the first, if not the first, Basque ciders I ever tried. I think B United imported it first. It was a revolutionary experience.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »

I think this was one of the first, if not the first, Basque ciders I ever tried. I think B United imported it first. It was a revolutionary experience.
Cool :thumbup: Definitely really good stuff.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »

Foxbic
Collaboration between Mills Brewing, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, UK & Olivers Cider & Perry Herefordshire, UK

Foxbic was made using the turbid mash method in the style of traditional Lambic producers. The wort was fermented with Foxwhelp juice and cider lees in old oak barrela for 17 months. A true union of traditional cider making and beer brewing techniques.

Sounds pretty cool. No idea where to find this outside the UK though.

https://twitter.com/MillsBrewing/

Nice writeup on Mills Brewing in Pellicle mag:
https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/2020/8/14/branches-at-the-window-mills-brewing-in-berkeley-gloucestershire

"Brewed in the autumn of 2015, Foxbic—a charming portmanteau of Foxwhelp cider apples and spontaneously fermented beer—was a significant inception for Jonny and Gen’s tiny outfit. Inspired by traditional lambic fermentation, Jonny produced a turbid mash, boiled long with aged hops, to be put into oak barrels with brightly sharp Foxwhelp juice, and Foxwhelp cider lees, and left for 18 months or so under Tom’s experienced and watchful eye.

“I was very sure that we could use some sharp cider (namely Foxwhelp—so not just any old sharp cider) to mimic the mouthfeel and drinking experience of some lambic and geuze. We were not trying to make lambic but leave the drinker with a similar experience,” Tom tells me. “After tasting it on a number of occasions we thought we were getting to a sweet point, and then decided on the final blend, put it into bottle, and gave it time for the very important conditioning.”

Offline Stu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • IPA
« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »
Old School

Sam Smith Organic Cider

In about an hour............chillin in the DBF.
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan next week.

Strong like bull, smart like tractor.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
Never heard of them, but a fav local distro has picked them up here. Looks like they ship nationally.

https://anxocider.com/order-cider/#ship

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2020, 01:07:13 AM »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2020, 11:22:54 AM »
Happy Camper x2

https://www.oldwestminster.com/blog/2019/9/20/happy-camper-a-wild-cider

Apples from MD & PA

:thumbup:

Had a locally canned wild cider last night, Happy Camper by Old Westminister Winery. Very Basque-like and great price/packaging ($2.50 for 12oz can). I think this can be my go to cider around here.

It is my go-to local cider.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2020, 11:25:22 AM »
Never heard of them, but a fav local distro has picked them up here. Looks like they ship nationally.

https://anxocider.com/order-cider/#ship
They are the most hipster cidery in this area. I enjoy their wild cider, Happy Trees but like the Old Westminster Happy Camper more (and its a lower price point).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #223 on: October 23, 2020, 12:18:46 PM »
Happy Camper x2

Apples from MD & PA

Had a locally canned wild cider last night, Happy Camper by Old Westminister Winery. Very Basque-like and great price/packaging ($2.50 for 12oz can). I think this can be my go to cider around here.

Cool! Just happened to pick it up when they were talking about it at a local shop. Never seed or heard of before. Very nice stuff, not sure of anything similar locally.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2020, 02:51:44 PM »
Happy Camper x2

Apples from MD & PA

Cool! Just happened to pick it up when they were talking about it at a local shop. Never seed or heard of before. Very nice stuff, not sure of anything similar locally.

Re-upped on the Happy Camper :thumbup:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2020, 07:29:49 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2020, 09:01:11 PM »
Drinking a cider/wild beer hybrid from local contract-brewer Duneyrr. Meh. Smelled amazing but literally tastes like apple and grain juice mixed together.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2020, 11:16:51 AM »
Drinking a cider/wild beer hybrid from local contract-brewer Duneyrr. Meh. Smelled amazing but literally tastes like apple and grain juice mixed together.
I do not believe I've ever had a cider-beer blend that I enjoyed. I think the body thinness of a cider doesn't meld with a beer. Plus, I am conditioned to abhor apple flavors in beer.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
I do not believe I've ever had a cider-beer blend that I enjoyed. I think the body thinness of a cider doesn't meld with a beer. Plus, I am conditioned to abhor apple flavors in beer.

Not sure if i've ever had one, maybe once years ago but it was probably forgettable. Unlike Basque ciders that I was instantly smitten with. Wonder if a lambic blend would work...

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »
block 15 just made their first cider...

"Our team has worked their tails off to develop a cider that is uniquely and undeniably Block 15. Packed with sweet fuji and tart granny smith apples, Fresh Press delivers an unfiltered, zippy dry cider with notes of soft apple and a white wine finish. Fermenting with select European yeast gives this cider a soft, cloudy appearance. It’s delightfully complex, yet perfect as an everyday refreshment."

Gonna seek this out. Not sure any of these make their way back east, but here's my top cider makers out here in the PNW

1. Wildcraft
2. Finn River
3. Rev Nats
4. Swift
5. Cider Riot
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2020, 07:13:41 PM »
2. Finn River
That was a fav of mine when I lived in Seattle.

The cider game is much weaker outside of the PNW. One of the better East coast cideries, Millstone Cellars, closed down about 2 years ago.  There are some very expensive cideries (e.g., A-A-Ron Burr) that are not accessible for the average drinker. It is typically much safer and cheaper to go with imports. Though, I have been happy that the MD/DC area has two decent cideries nowadays (Westminister and Anxo).

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »
May end up doing a cider sampling w my sister soon, going to get a couple of the local VT ciders (Stowe, Citizen's) and some Nine Pin and ILF from here in the Albany area.  Going to focus on both the dry and dry-hopped ciders from each. :cheers:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline thewimperoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2020, 11:16:33 AM »
I miss getting the Angry Orchard Walden Farm releases distributed here. 
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2021, 07:33:25 PM »
Anxo Hereford Gold

Thanks to Borrowedladder for this one!

Light, tart, and crisp with mild horseblanket funk, Dry with some gripping tannin, fruit is pleasant, very rustic overall. Quenching and very drinkable, I can see drinking a lot of this. :cheers:

Online Westside Threat

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2021, 08:55:46 PM »
been drinking a ton of cider recently.  This is my go to

Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline KingG

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2021, 11:46:44 PM »

That stuff is technically cider, but it's pretty much kombucha as well.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2021, 09:41:50 AM »
Time for OMYAC?

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #237 on: February 17, 2021, 10:03:41 AM »
Time for OMYAC?
Don't get me started!  :hot:

;D

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #238 on: February 17, 2021, 12:24:10 PM »

That stuff is technically cider, but it's pretty much kombucha as well.

I can't drink the other offerings, too sour for me. 

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2021, 06:17:16 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2021, 08:07:16 PM »

Canned Basque cider, first one i’ve seen. Pretty cool  :thumbup:

Had this one on Friday, pretty solid. Not all that funky, but very dry with nice acidity.

Arratzain - Sagardo Sidra Natural

Sagardo Naturala is made from 20-30 different native Basque apple varieties: 60% for acid, 30% for bitterness, and 10% for sweetness and all certified organic estate trees. The pneumatic pressed juice is fermented with wild yeast in stainless steel tanks, then raised in traditional kupelas (large wooden foudres) over the winter. They bottle at the inn with minimal SO2 and no filtration to emphasize the lively apple purity. This is a brisk and acid-driven cider with grip and sap – super refreshing and wonderful for summertime barbecues or just chugging at leisure.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »
How much was the can?

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #244 on: May 19, 2021, 06:34:03 PM »
how many apple trees would you need to make a barrel of cider you think?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2021, 07:05:16 PM »

I know of a guy that makes his own with a few trees, but don’t know how many. Like a 55 gal wine barrel?

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2021, 08:03:02 PM »

I know of a guy that makes his own with a few trees, but don’t know how many. Like a 55 gal wine barrel?

Yeah. 

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2021, 05:25:03 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2021, 10:58:30 AM »
Interesting, how acetic was it? Never saw that on a label.