search

Author Topic: What cider are you drinking today?  (Read 12542 times)

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
What cider are you drinking today?
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Julian Hard Cider  :ale:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
Re: What cider are you drinking today?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:14:25 AM »
This thread makes me think I should have an Apfelwein.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:18 AM »
Wandering Aengus Wanderlust Cider  :thumbup:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:57:15 AM »

Done and done!

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Mar

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Double IPA
  • Lost in bass
    • Visionary Urban Tactics
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
Does Iced Cider count in this thread?
"Beer - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."
- Jack Kerouac

Offline Digger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
Probably have some of my wife's William's Sir Perry Pear Cider later...she loves that stuff but won't drink a whole can.... <_<

Offline Oxymoron

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
I have an applewine sitting in a keg and should be getting close to being done conditioning.  Dont have a lot of experience here but it fermented in a week and I've been told it take 4 to 6 weeks to condition.  Or at least when it clears out its done.  Added apple juice, 2lbs of brown sugar and a handful of raisins for flavor.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »
Wandering Aengus Heirloom Blend Cider  :ale:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »
There was a bottle of Pomme Neige Iced Cider at a tasting and it was delish!  Could have drank the entire bottle myself. :cheers:

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
Wandering Aengus Ciderworks Bloom  :ale:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline deepsouth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 08:23:45 PM »

this thread makes me think i will.  "edwort's (from homebrewtalk) apfelwein aged 2 years.
[]P [] []\/[] []P

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »
I have an applewine sitting in a keg and should be getting close to being done conditioning.  Dont have a lot of experience here but it fermented in a week and I've been told it take 4 to 6 weeks to condition.  Or at least when it clears out its done.  Added apple juice, 2lbs of brown sugar and a handful of raisins for flavor.

Want
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 12:43:02 AM »
Wanderimg Aengus Oaked Dry Cider  :ale:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Has anyone had one of those Spanish style sour ciders? They sound really interesting.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
Has anyone had one of those Spanish style sour ciders? They sound really interesting.
I've heard of them and i'm very interested in trying them out. Not sure how to get them in the states though.  :(
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
I've heard of them and i'm very interested in trying them out. Not sure how to get them in the states though.  :(

I've heard of them being in SF.

Offline Mar

• Double IPA
  • Lost in bass
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »

Are we referring to the ones that suggest you pour from 4ft out?  I've had one or 2 and they're delicious if those are the right ones. I'd check on rb with theCheeseMan
- Jack Kerouac

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »

Are we referring to the ones that suggest you pour from 4ft out?  I've had one or 2 and they're delicious if those are the right ones. I'd check on rb with theCheeseMan

I saw that Andrew (bman) had one recently on Twitter.

Offline Mar

• Double IPA
  • Lost in bass
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »

Not surprised, Andrew is big on ciders and meads.  He'll be in town next weekend, you busy?
- Jack Kerouac

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »

Not surprised, Andrew is big on ciders and meads.  He'll be in town next weekend, you busy?

Freetail release.

Offline Mar

• Double IPA
  • Lost in bass
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »

Freetail release.

Ah that's right, we'll be having an epic tasting thanks to Andrew, Jacob, and Conner coming back.  We've been collecting sours and other things.
- Jack Kerouac

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 07:41:05 PM »
East End's "And Sat Down Be Cider"...their Session #50 beer. Picked up a growler when I was down there a couple weeks back. Very tasty.  :ale:

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »
There's a new cidery here named Argus that is making small batch stuff that is supposed to be awesome. Their first, Bandera Brut, is a sparkling cider made with mostly local apples and I hear it's great. Limited to only around 650 bottles and they're almost $20 a pop. I'll buy one some day.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »
There's a new cidery here named Argus that is making small batch stuff that is supposed to be awesome. Their first, Bandera Brut, is a sparkling cider made with mostly local apples and I hear it's great. Limited to only around 650 bottles and they're almost $20 a pop. I'll buy one some day.
That's like Dupont's (the cider, not the beer) price.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 01:43:54 AM »
That's like Dupont's (the cider, not the beer) price.

Apparently the stuff is just great. I've seen it anywhere from $16-20, but I haven't bought one yet.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »

Hmm, just saw this. :bag: Basque cider, there are a couple in town, Sarasola is my pick. Tart, clean, mild Brett funk. Here are my reviews:

Sarasola Sagardoa

Poured as instructed on the label, at a height of 3 feet (over a sink). Slightly hazed pastel gold, hazy moonstone clarity. A swarm of tiny bubbles rise through the liquid, feeding into a cluster of larger bubbles on the surface. The loose foam subsides into a string of pearls at the edges. Musty gauze aroma, slightly acetic, white wine vinegar, faintly sweet and leafy orchard apples. Ethereal. Light juicy feel, bursting with puckering apple tartness. Lingering peaty notes, possibly from the wild yeast. Some bretty horsehair and chardonnay notes. Good stuff, will seek this out again.

Isastegi Sagardo Naturala

Picked this up based on an article on lambicandwildale.com that billed it as "a drink that lambic drinkers might enjoy". Poured at a height of 6", only a small pour into the glass at a time (recommended traditional method for Basque cider). First pour was bright gold, the last was pastel yellow, murky with a bit of sediment. A few juice-like bubbles, appear and rapidly fade. Aroma is heavy on sterile gauze and horsehair from the Brettanomyces, not the best. Orchard apples and wet hay. Taste is softly tart apple, with some spiciness in the back, very dry finish, no residual sweetness. Virtually still like unblended lambic. Fairly quenching, not especially complex, but worth a try.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »

Hmm, just saw this. :bag: Basque cider, there are a couple in town, Sarasola is my pick. Tart, clean, mild Brett funk. Here are my reviews:

Sarasola Sagardoa

Poured as instructed on the label, at a height of 3 feet (over a sink). Slightly hazed pastel gold, hazy moonstone clarity. A swarm of tiny bubbles rise through the liquid, feeding into a cluster of larger bubbles on the surface. The loose foam subsides into a string of pearls at the edges. Musty gauze aroma, slightly acetic, white wine vinegar, faintly sweet and leafy orchard apples. Ethereal. Light juicy feel, bursting with puckering apple tartness. Lingering peaty notes, possibly from the wild yeast. Some bretty horsehair and chardonnay notes. Good stuff, will seek this out again.

Picked this up based on an article on lambicandwildale.com that billed it as "a drink that lambic drinkers might enjoy". Poured at a height of 6", only a small pour into the glass at a time (recommended traditional method for Basque cider). First pour was bright gold, the last was pastel yellow, murky with a bit of sediment. A few juice-like bubbles, appear and rapidly fade. Aroma is heavy on sterile gauze and horsehair from the Brettanomyces, not the best. Orchard apples and wet hay. Taste is softly tart apple, with some spiciness in the back, very dry finish, no residual sweetness. Virtually still like unblended lambic. Fairly quenching, not especially complex, but worth a try.

Missed this when Chip posted it the first time too.  :researching:

I have 2 different batches of cider aging in kegs at the moment.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »

Sarasola Sagardoa

:thumbup:
pour it like this..

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 11:52:44 PM »

Sarasola Sagardoa

:thumbup:
pour it like this..

:excited:

I wonder how many gallons those barrels are!  :o:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 01:28:04 AM »
I've had the Iastegi and it was ok. It's the only one we get though.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 04:20:02 PM »
I think I'm gonna grab me some cider for the weekend.  :ale:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Westside Threat

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 06:57:07 PM »
Julian hard cherry cider
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »
A new cidery opened in East Austin. This is their first release. Dry, carbonated as tasty but it has an odd medicinal after taste that kind of ruined it for me.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »
Julian hard cherry cider
I just got this at the store recently and its been selling well. I might have to pop one tonight.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »

I don't drink macros  :coffee:
Home is where the Nelson is.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »

Aren't the "macro ciders" the ones from concentrate and have added sugar?  :coffee:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »

Aren't the "macro ciders" the ones from concentrate and have added sugar?  :coffee:
:coffee:
Sure. They may also be ones that market themselves as from a town famous for their apples, Julian CA, but are contract brewed from big facilities Oregon with Oregon apples and have gotten themselves in 20+ states in a year and a half.  :coffee:

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »

Sure. They may also be ones that market themselves as from a town famous for their apples, Julian CA, but are contract brewed from big facilities Oregon with Oregon apples and have gotten themselves in 20+ states in a year and a half.  :coffee:
You forgot to mention some of their apples are from Washington state too ;)
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 12:56:59 AM »

You forgot to mention some of their apples are from Washington state too ;)
DOH!
I was just real disenchanted when my girlfriend wanted me to take her to Julian and I thought "sweet. I'll get to see cider house". Then I saw it was only a gift shop and they have little to notjing to do with Julian.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »
Julian hard cherry cider
I just got this at the store recently and its been selling well. I might have to pop one tonight.

Did you try it?  What did you think?

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 11:28:25 PM »
Julian hard cherry cider

Not yet, probably tonight with some Chinese food. What did you think of it?
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
Julian hard cherry cider

I thought it was good.  Based on the color,I was really afraid it was going to be too sweet but was pleasantly surprised.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »
Julian hard cherry cider

I thought it was good.  Based on the color,I was really afraid it was going to be too sweet but was pleasantly surprised.
That's what i thought too when i heard the words "Cherry Bomb".
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »
Can't wait to bring back the Wandering Aengus ciders.

They're awesome.

:ale:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
Magners.

Meh.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »
Magners.

Meh.

tried a few good ciders from local places while up in northern MI this past weekend...
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 11:55:59 PM »
This reminded me I have one that is probably pretty close to being ready to keg.  Sample time  ;D

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 02:04:35 AM »
Julian hard cherry cider

That's what i thought too when i heard the words "Cherry Bomb".
Finally drinking this now. It's not horrible but i definitely prefer the original.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Traquairlover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 07:41:43 PM »
Albermarle Ciderworks "Royal Pippen".  Named after the varietal of apple, this is dryer than I expected but really good.  I just started trying ciders from these guys.  They make at least 4 different ciders and depending on whether I want a dry or a sweet cider, this is one of my favorite two.  Makes me want to consider a cidery in addition to a brewery when we get my wife the goat farm she keeps wanting (her deal being cheese).
Audaces fortuna iuvat