search

Author Topic: Buffalo, NY official beer thread  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
Re: Buffalo, NY official beer thread
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »
3 days in Buffalo await. What's fresh in town?

Nothing.

Go to Toronto or Cleveland.
Toronto's next month. Some Cleveland beer's usually around the town (Great Lakes). But...look on the bright side...Sly Fox (including Saison Vos) is also usually available at Premier. There were a couple of things I saw last trip over there but it's like it was over a year ago so "outlook hazy, try again later." :magic8ball:

B-lo has some nice spots... I really don't know whats going on out there right now - haven't been out thataway in a couple of months.

After 26+ in that area... I really do not have anything positive to say about it  :shrug:
I enjoy hitting the old country a great deal every few months. I was there for school and a few years afterwards. All in about what...9 years I guess. Some of my best friends are still there and good beer, food (I said good, not healthy) and music are always abundant (and inexpensive). Too abundant almost, because whenever we stay the weekend the Monday morning after hits like a blessed sledgehammer.

There's definitely a lot of Shakedown Street in the town. The worst part is watching the countless empty storefronts and catching the bitter chill and the ride on the way to the airport in the late fall on the way out of town. It's pretty much frigid tundra at that point, and yeah...it's &*(%ing depressing. Still, there are solid schools there and for those that do build a career there, it...is...&*(%ing...cheap...to live. For an occasional visit with friends, it's always a great time and a reminder that I'm not 23 anymore.

Besides, to me, Rochester is a lot worse... :banned:

I like Roche better... but can see how you could feel that way.  B-lo is a cheap place to live, no doubt, and there are some good people out there... but yeah, depressing with no future to be seen.  CNY isn't any better, but I dig Ithaca.  Diversity, a good place to raise a child.

All that said - NOBODY drinks as a community like WNYers.  Crazy bastards.  Wake up, grab a thirty of something cheap, go about your day.  Pick up more beer in the evening, then hit the bar.  Rinse, repeat. 
... And the weekends - the weekends are for serious drinking.  Craft beer has it's spots in the area, but as a whole is kinda frowned on as snobby with a "why would anyone spend that kind of $$$ on a few beers when you can get 30 for the same $$$" mentality.  If your a homebrewer... well, they will revere you, as self-sufficiency is golden to their conservative mind-sets.
Wanna suck it?

ISO: Coitus Beard Chicken Milk Porter

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »
I have to ask those that our from that area what was Buffalo known for? I mean it was a busy city with a booming population at one point but like Cleveland and Detroit has fallen on hard times and lost considerable population numbers. Was there a big industry that was there that went under?
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2011, 07:29:55 AM »
I have to ask those that our from that area what was Buffalo known for? I mean it was a busy city with a booming population at one point but like Cleveland and Detroit has fallen on hard times and lost considerable population numbers. Was there a big industry that was there that went under?

It was a booming steel city at one point.  When Bethlehem Steel closed, the city fell and never recovered.
Wanna suck it?

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »

It was a booming steel city at one point.  When Bethlehem Steel closed, the city fell and never recovered.

that makes sense  I thought it was similar to Pittsburg in that sense

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »

Up until the 60's, Bell Aircraft employed a much of the people as well - my father was an aeronautical engineer working on one of the very first VTOL projects in the world there throughout the fifties.  That manufacturing facility, like most in the area, sits vacant and crumbling.  WNY is the reason for my stance today on jobs, job retention and worker rights.

Railyards and shipping played a major part in B-lo's history as well.
Wanna suck it?

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »

It was the Erie Canal that put Buffalo on the map, because it was then the gateway for transporting goods from the midwest to the east coast.   And because of it's proximity to the Niagara Falls hydro power plant, it was one of the first cities in the country to have widespread access to electricity in homes and businesses.

Among the most prominent industries were shipping (trains, ships, and canal), grain mills, steel and iron, auto manufacturers, chemicals, aerospace technology, and organized crime. 

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »

It was the Erie Canal that put Buffalo on the map, because it was then the gateway for transporting goods from the midwest to the east coast.   And because of it's proximity to the Niagara Falls hydro power plant, it was one of the first cities in the country to have widespread access to electricity in homes and businesses.

Among the most prominent industries were shipping (trains, ships, and canal), grain mills, steel and iron, auto manufacturers, chemicals, aerospace technology, and organized crime. 

I forgot about the Canal which was a major feat for its time...

Offline Steve Tasker

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »
Just noticed this right now...I'll try to remember to respond tomorrow to whatever comments are in here.

When are you in town?  We should meet up...
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »

Up until the 60's, Bell Aircraft employed a much of the people as well - my father was an aeronautical engineer working on one of the very first VTOL projects in the world there throughout the fifties.  That manufacturing facility, like most in the area, sits vacant and crumbling.  WNY is the reason for my stance today on jobs, job retention and worker rights.

Railyards and shipping played a major part in B-lo's history as well.
:lol: I have a client that occupies like 1/10th of the Bell Aerospace building...it's so cool looking...just a looming, old, beatdown and cracked building.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »

:thumbup: City of Light!

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2011, 08:40:22 PM »

Nothing.

Toronto's next month. Some Cleveland beer's usually around the town (Great Lakes). But...look on the bright side...Sly Fox (including Saison Vos) is also usually available at Premier. There were a couple of things I saw last trip over there but it's like it was over a year ago so "outlook hazy, try again later." :magic8ball:

B-lo has some nice spots... I really don't know whats going on out there right now - haven't been out thataway in a couple of months.

After 26+ in that area... I really do not have anything positive to say about it  :shrug:
I've never understood the Buffalo hate....what's not to like about it here?  I'll probably have to move at some point, just because of work, but I really, genuinely like it here.  It's a great place to live...

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »

Nothing.

I've never understood the Buffalo hate....what's not to like about it here?  I'll probably have to move at some point, just because of work, but I really, genuinely like it here.  It's a great place to live...

I have many, many reasons... none I care to post here, sorry (it's a long car ride to Tenn.)
Wanna suck it?

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2011, 11:37:17 PM »
Ithaca > Syracuse > Rochester > Buffalo

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 07:31:08 AM »

agreed
Wanna suck it?

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 07:52:29 AM »
Ithaca > Syracuse > Rochester > Buffalo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hartford
:mellow:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »

Nothing.

Pay no attention to the haters .... they're just jealous.   :thumbdown:

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »
Ithaca > Syracuse > Rochester > Buffalo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hartford
:mellow:

<_<

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
Buffalo Beer Week - June 19-26

link

Not much confirmed yet.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
lol at Syracuse and Rochester being objectively "better" than Buffalo.

Ithaca sure, but that's not a fair fight.

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
lol at Syracuse and Rochester being objectively "better" than Buffalo.

Ithaca sure, but that's not a fair fight.

holy thread resurrection.

i'm sure that has changed in THREE YEARS.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
I'm going to visit some dude up there in October. Where should I drink and eat? TIA.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
I'm going to visit some dude up there in October. Where should I drink and eat? TIA.

eharmony?

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »

eharmony?

beerbuddies.com

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »

eharmony?

beerbuddies.com

I've been gone for so long, I don't know shit about food & beer there anymore.  Just make sure you go to Cole's at least once. 

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »

Dive-bar place with great bar food (burgers and wings) that was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is Grover's in East Amherst. I always make it a point to stop there when I'm in town to scout games.

Duff's for wings is also a solid choice.

Neither are craft beer or booze meccas, and they're a long way from trendy white table cloth dining. But both are damn good at what they do.

Pete and I met up at Gene McCarthy's when I was in town a couple weeks ago. Very much dive bar, with a small brewing system in back. Their beer wasn't OMG stellar, but it was solid and I enjoyed the south-side neighborhood joint vibe.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2014, 03:34:31 PM »

Dive-bar place with great bar food (burgers and wings) that was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is Grover's in East Amherst. I always make it a point to stop there when I'm in town to scout games.

Neither are craft beer or booze meccas, and they're a long way from trendy white table cloth dining. But both are damn good at what they do.

Pete and I met up at Gene McCarthy's when I was in town a couple weeks ago. Very much dive bar, with a small brewing system in back. Their beer wasn't OMG stellar, but it was solid and I enjoyed the south-side neighborhood joint vibe.

All sounds good.  :excited:

Mostly I was just joking to bump Pete's thread up. I know he's got a list of things he wants to take me to do. My only requests were good beer, buffalo pizza and the best wings, I don't even care if we go to anchor bar or not, I just want the best ones.  Excited to visit him and maybe even be the first internet friend to meet his girlfriend.

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2014, 04:52:46 PM »

Mostly I was just joking to bump Pete's thread up. I know he's got a list of things he wants to take me to do. My only requests were good beer, buffalo pizza and the best wings, I don't even care if we go to anchor bar or not, I just want the best ones.  Excited to visit him and maybe even be the first internet friend to meet his girlfriend.

when are you going up in october? we definitely want to see a bills game this year in buffalo, but i can also be persuaded to go up there and eat the best poutine ever at blue monk.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »

I ALMOST got to meet her... :kickrock:

In my couple visits Anchor Bar is a waste of time (tourist trap). I truly thought Duff's had the top-rung wing, but after having them at Grover's for the first time (the day after having Duff's) I'd push theirs ahead. Both are great, don't get me wrong.

But Petey will be able to possibly guide you to an even better spot. :shrug:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »

when are you going up in october? we definitely want to see a bills game this year in buffalo, but i can also be persuaded to go up there and eat the best poutine ever at blue monk.
He's coming up the week of the Vikings game (October 19).  When we last spoke, you were planning on the Patriots game (October 12), I believe?

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »

I have still never been to Grover's.  We tried going there once while we were living at UB but got really confused and the place was packed....they like don't have a host/hostess and you write your name on a chalkboard.  We didn't know what to do so we left and now it's a trek from where we live.  I have heard the burgers are great though.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »
Duff's is better than Anchor Bar but there are other places that are better than both.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »
Duff's is better than Anchor Bar but there are other places that are better than both.

Been to Gabriel's Gate lately?

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »

I haven't eaten there in like a year but I was there for drinks not too long ago.  Their wings are probably in the better-than-Duff's tier IMO.

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2014, 09:51:33 AM »

He's coming up the week of the Vikings game (October 19).  When we last spoke, you were planning on the Patriots game (October 12), I believe?

hmm i don't remember this, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen. :) are  you guys actually going to the game? i will talk with adam tomorrow when he gets home so we can start planning!

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2014, 09:57:08 AM »

hmm i don't remember this, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen. :) are  you guys actually going to the game? i will talk with adam tomorrow when he gets home so we can start planning!
Either you or Adam mentioned it to me late during Unicornfest because your friends (can't recall their names :bag: ) were considering coming up for the Patriots game on October 12.

I have not purchased tickets to the game yet, but he's booked a plane ticket already.  I want to buy the tickets in the next few days before the preseason hype gets going.  The first 2 games are almost sold out.  This game will sell out at some point but I wouldn't expect it to for a little bit longer.

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2014, 10:02:33 AM »

Either you or Adam mentioned it to me late during Unicornfest because your friends (can't recall their names :bag: ) were considering coming up for the Patriots game on October 12.

I have not purchased tickets to the game yet, but he's booked a plane ticket already.  I want to buy the tickets in the next few days before the preseason hype gets going.  The first 2 games are almost sold out.  This game will sell out at some point but I wouldn't expect it to for a little bit longer.

i don't think they are planning on going up for that game, they are farming so they probably wouldn't go up until the farming season is over.

i think i would rather go to the vikings game, vs the patriots. the patriots is not going to end well for the bills. i will get back to you asap pedro!

p.s. 2am meat, amirite?

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »

I haven't eaten there in like a year but I was there for drinks not too long ago.  Their wings are probably in the better-than-Duff's tier IMO.

Agreed.  I like their sauce a bit better (the hot is perfect IMO) and they are usually cooked perfectly.

Some powerful good eating in that town.   :thumbup:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »
Finally checked out Resurgence Brewing this week.  Absolutely beautiful space on the West Side.

The beer was only okay.  Drinkable but not like exceptional.  I'd say it's a "should-visit" just for a beer or two just to check it out.  They've got a big indoor space with a bunch of picnic tables.  Outdoor beer garden with seating for easily like 60-70 people.

Huge range of ages there too, from your early 20s college kids to people in their 60s.  Very cool.

They had like 8 different beers on tap.

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
Buffalo, NY?
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2014, 11:49:41 PM »
I am going to be in Buffalo for a couple days next week.  Are there any must hit food/beer places?   :cheers:

Beermapping has a couple of places with ratings in the 80's, but any experience from peeps here?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: Buffalo, NY?
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »
You should really eat/drink at Pepper Pete'stm

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2014, 11:59:37 PM »
You should really eat/drink at Pepper Pete'stm

Ohhh dang, forgot this is Tasker's turf.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
I'll just be missing you. I'm visiting Pete the weekend after next.

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »
bar bill tavern for the best wings and beef on weck.

down the street in aurora there is a nice little bottle shop/bar - i can't remember the name of it but it was solid.

blue monk for the best poutine ever and awesome tap list.

pedro will fill in the rest. :)

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »

down the street in aurora there is a nice little bottle shop/bar - i can't remember the name of it but it was solid.

OC, you need to try beef on weck.  Poutine, however. :-X

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2014, 11:35:09 AM »

:o:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2014, 11:43:47 AM »

Heresy!