search

Author Topic: Buffalo, NY official beer thread  (Read 6908 times)

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
Re: Buffalo, NY?
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »
bar bill tavern for the best wings and beef on weck.

down the street in aurora there is a nice little bottle shop/bar - i can't remember the name of it but it was solid.

blue monk for the best poutine ever and awesome tap list.

pedro will fill in the rest. :)

OC, you need to try beef on weck.  Poutine, however. :-X

this is unpossible. the marriage of delicious fries, cheese curd, gravy and duck is a match made in heaven.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2014, 12:22:14 PM »

down the street in aurora there is a nice little bottle shop/bar - i can't remember the name of it but it was solid.

this is unpossible. the marriage of delicious fries, cheese curd, gravy and duck is a match made in heaven.

Even if I did like gravy, I don't like things making my fries soggy.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »

YUM! :drool:

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »

You swallow them whole!?

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
Buffalo is neither Central nor Midwest.

Just sayin'  :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
POO TEEN

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »
I am going to be in Buffalo for a couple days next week.  Are there any must hit food/beer places?   :cheers:

Beermapping has a couple of places with ratings in the 80's, but any experience from peeps here?

Premier Gourmet has a great selection of micros and a growler filling station with a ton of taps.

I'll absolutely second the Blue Monk - not far from Pete's place and it has a great tap selection, and I've heard many people rave about the poutine there.

Up Elmwood from there is Mister Goodbar's and Cole's - been going there since college, not an immense tap list but they usually have some very solid offerings available.

Several small breweries opening there - Community's IPA is supposedly stellar, but I haven't tried it yet.  Their other beers are solid.  Hamburg's brews are good but more hit and miss. 

Heard great things about Bar Bill's food;  the wings at Gabriel's Gate (Allen St just west of Delaware) and Nine-Eleven Tavern (Pete knows where) are both standardbearers for me,  the Gate's wings being more in the "purist" vein while Nine-Eleven adds some garlic chili paste (or something very close to it) to their hot sauce, which gives them a unique and damn tasty flavor. 

Troyer Farms Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips.  Available at Walgreen's or Rite Aid.  :yes:

My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »

you just haven't had good poutine then. if the fries are cooked correctly, they don't get soggy.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »

you just haven't had good poutine then. if the fries are cooked correctly, they don't get soggy.

It still has gravy covering the fries right?  Out.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

:goodposting: 

Dan

Offline thebestever

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • unicorn stampede!
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2014, 04:35:47 PM »

It still has gravy covering the fries right?  Out.

WHAT IS YOUR BEEF WITH GRAVY.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »
You know, there's an entire thread dedicated to Buffalo in the East Coast forum.....

1.  What days are you here?
2.  Where are you staying?
3.  Do you have a car?
4.  Can we hang out?
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »

I was in Buffalo for work about 5 or 6 years ago and I remember Beef on weck was delicious!  I argree with you TT, poutine isn't something that sounds good to me.  Thanks for the suggestions  :unicorn:

:goodposting:

:hifive:
:blink:  Oops.   :doh:

You know, there's an entire thread dedicated to Buffalo in the East Coast forum.....

3.  Do you have a car?
4.  Can we hang out?

See above, don't know what happened here...  :blink:

1. I will find out for sure this afternoon, but I should be getting into to town sometime Tuesday and leaving on Friday.
2. I'll be working in Cheektowaga near Walden/Union, I haven't booked a hotel yet, but usually try to stay withing 10 - 15 minutes from where I am working.
3. Yes
4. Yes, once I figure out my schedule, I will PM you and we can work out the details.

Thanks guys and sorry about the wrong thread.  Just have a lot going on this week.  :banned:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

3.  Do you have a car?
4.  Can we hang out?

1. I will find out for sure this afternoon, but I should be getting into to town sometime Tuesday and leaving on Friday.
2. I'll be working in Cheektowaga near Walden/Union, I haven't booked a hotel yet, but usually try to stay withing 10 - 15 minutes from where I am working.
3. Yes
4. Yes, once I figure out my schedule, I will PM you and we can work out the details.

Thanks guys and sorry about the wrong thread.  Just have a lot going on this week.  :banned:
You're kinda trending towards suburban hell out in that area...I'm rarely out drinking out there.  Probably not much in the way of the premier beer spots.  Walden/Union is like a 15-20 minute drive from the best city spots and then there are some okay choices in the northtowns and southtowns too.  Cheektowaga/Depew/Lancaster (eastern burbs) all seem to be more of a dead zone for beer.  I'm sure there's "good beer places" to go to out there but I don't know about em.

Let me know where you're staying and I can give you more specific details.

ETA - grammar
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:46:19 AM by Steve Tasker »

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »

3.  Do you have a car?
4.  Can we hang out?

3. Yes

You're kinda trending towards suburban hell out in that area...I'm rarely out drinking out there.  Probably not much in the way of the premier beer spots.  Walden/Union is like a 15-20 minute drive from the best city spots and then there are some okay choices in the northtowns and southtowns too.  Cheektowaga/Depew/Lancaster (eastern burbs) all seem to be more of a dead zone for beer.  I'm sure there's "good beer places" to go to out there but I don't know about em.

ETA - grammar

Ok... Hmm.  So, once I get the confirmation to book, I will try to get a hotel closer to downtown if possible.  Sometimes I get restrictions from the client, so we'll see.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »

3.  Do you have a car?
4.  Can we hang out?

3. Yes

ETA - grammar

Ok... Hmm.  So, once I get the confirmation to book, I will try to get a hotel closer to downtown if possible.  Sometimes I get restrictions from the client, so we'll see.

Yeah, beermapping is giving me pretty much nothing out that way.  It's not that far in to the city, but the trip back out...
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »

3.  Do you have a car?
4.  Can we hang out?

3. Yes

ETA - grammar

I mean, it's not an unreasonable drive into the city and back...I can get to Walden/Union from my apartment in like 15 minutes and I'm right in the city.  But you won't be like 2 minutes or a quick walk to someplace good.

Gonna seem kinda silly, but I've heard that the Jack Astor's at the Walden Galleria (the massive shopping mall a stone's throw from Walden/Union intersection) has a pretty good beer list.  I think ownership changed hands somewhat recently and they've gone all-in on the craft beer thing.  There's also a Gordon Biersch in the mall.  I've never actually been to either of those places though...I try to avoid the mall if possible cause it's always mobbed.

Then again, if you're coming all the way out here, do you want to spend your time in chain restaurants in a shopping mall?  Probably not....

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2014, 11:03:44 AM »

3.  Do you have a car?
4.  Can we hang out?

3. Yes

ETA - grammar

I mean, it's not an unreasonable drive into the city and back...I can get to Walden/Union from my apartment in like 15 minutes and I'm right in the city.  But you won't be like 2 minutes or a quick walk to someplace good.

Gonna seem kinda silly, but I've heard that the Jack Astor's at the Walden Galleria (the massive shopping mall a stone's throw from Walden/Union intersection) has a pretty good beer list.  I think ownership changed hands somewhat recently and they've gone all-in on the craft beer thing.  There's also a Gordon Biersch in the mall.  I've never actually been to either of those places though...I try to avoid the mall if possible cause it's always mobbed.

Then again, if you're coming all the way out here, do you want to spend your time in chain restaurants in a shopping mall?  Probably not....

Exactly, unless I'm totally slammed, I'd prefer not to hit chain places.  Ok, gives me some good ideas, I have a meeting in about an hour, following that I will book the flight/hotel etc...

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
You don't want to stay on the east side, and there's no hotels there anyway.  The east side is the hoooood....Buffalo's equivalent of, say, the south side of Chicago.  But Cheektowaga borders the east side and is kinda sketchy in places - though it's definitely not sketchy out on Walden near the mall, where you've referred to.

The further west you are into the city, the longer the drive to your worksite, obviously.  33 outbound traffic isn't bad in the morning but it's still a heavily travelled road, and then you're briefly on the 90 and that might be a nightmare depending on the day.  That's probably how you'd be getting to your worksite, I'd imagine.

Important caveat...when I said ~15 minutes from my slightly-north-of-downtown apartment to Walden/Union, I meant during non-peak traffic hours.

Let me know where you book....

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »
You don't want to stay on the east side, and there's no hotels there anyway.  The east side is the hoooood....Buffalo's equivalent of, say, the south side of Chicago.  But Cheektowaga borders the east side and is kinda sketchy in places - though it's definitely not sketchy out on Walden near the mall, where you've referred to.

The further west you are into the city, the longer the drive to your worksite, obviously.  33 outbound traffic isn't bad in the morning but it's still a heavily travelled road, and then you're briefly on the 90 and that might be a nightmare depending on the day.  That's probably how you'd be getting to your worksite, I'd imagine.

Important caveat...when I said ~15 minutes from my slightly-north-of-downtown apartment to Walden/Union, I meant during non-peak traffic hours.

Let me know where you book....

Great info, thank you!

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »
OC, if you do end up in a hotel near the airport/Galleria area, then Brennan's Bowery Bar isn't too far away, and has a decent beer selection.  http://www.brennansbowery.com/home

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2014, 01:00:40 PM »
OC, if you do end up in a hotel near the airport/Galleria area, then Brennan's Bowery Bar isn't too far away, and has a decent beer selection.  http://www.brennansbowery.com/home

I always get that place and Brunner's (Main St in Eggertsville, used to have great burgers and an absolutely ginormously big owner back in the day) confused.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »

I always get that place and Brunner's (Main St in Eggertsville, used to have great burgers and an absolutely ginormously big owner back in the day) confused.

Pretty sure that Brennan's is (or maybe was) owned by the same people that own Cole's ... but that may have changed in 10 years.  It's in a suburban strip mall, but the food is decent and they have a variety of craft beer taps and bottles.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »

Pretty sure that Brennan's is (or maybe was) owned by the same people that own Cole's ... but that may have changed in 10 years.  It's in a suburban strip mall, but the food is decent and they have a variety of craft beer taps and bottles.
It's the same owners still.

I've never been to Brennan's but know of it.   Like I said, I don't get out there too often, and when I am drinking, it's usually at some dive with soccer teammates after a game.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »

I've never been to Brennan's but know of it.   Like I said, I don't get out there too often, and when I am drinking, it's usually at some dive with soccer teammates after a game.

Is the old man still around these days, or has Mike taken over everything?

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »

I don't really know what the old man looks like so I don't know.  Mike is seemingly always at Blue Monk, I think that's more his baby now.

They've got another place too, Liberty Hound, and they're opening a burger bar shortly.  They're pretty much the beer kings of Buffalo.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »

Brennan's, Brunner's, Bruna Bönor.

Sorry, just a little swedish free association there. :-[  carry on!

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2014, 10:18:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  The client isn't ready for me yet, so this will be rescheduled for a week or two out, I will keep you posted!

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
Thanks guys.  The client isn't ready for me yet, so this will be rescheduled for a week or two out, I will keep you posted!

TWSS?

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »
I am going to be flying in next week Tue eve (28th) and flying out Fri morn (31st).

I am waiting to hear back from the customer if they have a preferred hotel for me to book.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
I am going to be flying in next week Tue eve (28th) and flying out Fri morn (31st).

I am waiting to hear back from the customer if they have a preferred hotel for me to book.

I recommend NOT staying at the Super 8 in Kenmore...just sayin'.  :o

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »

I recommend NOT staying at the Super 8 in Kenmore...just sayin'.  :o

Good experience there?  I read it was ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Kenmore on tripadvisor ;)

I ended up at the Hampton Inn - Buffalo Airport Galleria

A little further outside of town then I wanted, but driving in wont be a biggie if you can make it out Tasker.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »
I'm around.  I'll PM you this weekend...unless I forget, then just PM me.

Offline Organized Chaos

• Administrator
  • Old Ale
    • The Beer Spot
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
I'm around.  I'll PM you this weekend...unless I forget, then just PM me.

Sounds good  :cheers:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »

I don't really know what the old man looks like so I don't know.  Mike is seemingly always at Blue Monk, I think that's more his baby now.

They've got another place too, Liberty Hound, and they're opening a burger bar shortly.  They're pretty much the beer kings of Buffalo.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/family-to-mark-80-years-of-spirited-fun-at-coles-20141103

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/family-to-mark-80-years-of-spirited-fun-at-coles-20141103
Yeah I saw that the other day.  Awesome.  Didn't go to the party though.  I liked this part of the article:

Former Buffalo Mayor Anthony Masiello was part of the Coles corner long before he became mayor, recalled Dave Shatzel Jr. He was a big hit when it came to Halloween, dressing like Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon and a gorilla. Masiello, who remains a close friend of the Shatzel family, recalled fielding a surprise call from President Bill Clinton during the Blizzard of 2000 that struck the city on Thanksgiving week.

“It’s the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the place is packed,” Masiello said. “I get a call on the Coles phone from Bill Clinton offering help. Apparently he tried to call my cell and I could not hear it, so he called my wife, who gave him the number at Cole’s.”

ETA - Bill waited two days before calling though, apparently.  The worst of the storm hit on a Monday, and while we were still feeling the effects, it wasn't that bad on Wednesday.  That Monday was the day the buses couldn't get more than 2 blocks in 2 hours, and they made us walk back to school around 5 PM.  Most of the kids were basically stuck in the school for hours.  Many kids slept over.  My dad managed to get to Delaware/Potomac, a solid 10 block walk from school, and ditched his car to pick up me and 3 friends after 11 PM.  It was like a war zone, abandoned city buses, abandoned cars, streetlights off.  I remember the MNF game ended while we were still driving, it was that late.  We had the rest of the week off.   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:39:28 PM by Steve Tasker »

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »
Yeah I saw that the other day.  Awesome.  Didn't go to the party though.  I liked this part of the article:

Former Buffalo Mayor Anthony Masiello was part of the Coles corner long before he became mayor, recalled Dave Shatzel Jr. He was a big hit when it came to Halloween, dressing like Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon and a gorilla. Masiello, who remains a close friend of the Shatzel family, recalled fielding a surprise call from President Bill Clinton during the Blizzard of 2000 that struck the city on Thanksgiving week.

“It’s the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the place is packed,” Masiello said. “I get a call on the Coles phone from Bill Clinton offering help. Apparently he tried to call my cell and I could not hear it, so he called my wife, who gave him the number at Cole’s.”

ETA - Bill waited two days before calling though, apparently.  The worst of the storm hit on a Monday, and while we were still feeling the effects, it wasn't that bad on Wednesday.  That Monday was the day the buses couldn't get more than 2 blocks in 2 hours, and they made us walk back to school around 5 PM.  Most of the kids were basically stuck in the school for hours.  Many kids slept over.  My dad managed to get to Delaware/Potomac, a solid 10 block walk from school, and ditched his car to pick up me and 3 friends after 11 PM.  It was like a war zone, abandoned city buses, abandoned cars, streetlights off.  I remember the MNF game ended while we were still driving, it was that late.  We had the rest of the week off.   :thumbup:

:thumbup:  Darkened the doorstep of Cole's (and next door neighbor Mister Goodbar) many times.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Re: Buffalo, NY official beer thread
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
gllllllllllllllllll getting back to Buffalo (or out, if you managed to get back somehow) Pete
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »
 :coffee:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »
Heading "home" next week for a few days.  Won't have a ton of time for bars/breweries, but what's newish and noteworthy since 2008?

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »
Where?  Particular neighborhood/suburb?

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »
Where?  Particular neighborhood/suburb?

Pretty much anything in the city or north suburbs

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
New hotspots since 2008:

1.  Blue Monk - Mike Shatzel's bar further down Elmwood in the city, the old Merlin's, right by the corner of Elmwood/Breckenridge.  Best bar in Buffalo, IMO, better than Cole's.  Food is good but heavy.  Best beer list in town, 32 taps, usually tough to find stuff.  Can get fairly hipstery/trendy in late nights.  Has a great outdoor beer garden if it's open...I was in on Saturday and it wasn't open for the year yet.

2.  Moor Pat - a second Shatzel family place, out in Williamsville on Main St. right in the village if you happen to be out that way.  20 taps, very small food list, cool little old building that they rehabbed that is probably like 200 years old.  Tiny place.  Much older clientele than Blue Monk but similar vibe.

3.  Community Beer Works - brewery/taproom on the west side, on Lafayette right off Niagara.  Not much to see here but they do serve pints now, so you can go in and have a pint or two and a growler fill or something.  Best brewery in the Buffalo region by a wide, wide margin.  They'll probably give you a tour (it's like a 3-room building) if you ask.  Odd hours, only open Thursday and Friday afternoons and late morning/early afternoon Saturdays.

4.  Resurgence - a stone's throw from Community Beer Works, relatively new brewery right on Niagara over by Rich Products.  They gutted and rehabbed an old building and turned it into really a super nice space.  Beers are just okay.  Very hipster place.  I wouldn't make a dedicated trip for it but worth a stop for a beer and to check out the space if you're in the area.

5.  Allen Burger Venture - a third Shatzel spot, this one is brand new on Allen.  Formerly Quaker Bonnet bakery, not sure what it was before then.  Basically right across the street from Towne.  Super trendy burger/beer bar.  I have not been there but heard the food is quite good, but pricey.  Still pretty new so it's pretty packed during peak hours and they don't take reservations.

6.  Gene McCarthy's - this has been here forever but they've made some changes recently.  They started brewing their own beer like two years ago now.  Nothing amazing but not too bad.  Ed and I went here when he was in town...nice off-the-beaten-path spot.

You can find a decent beer list pretty much anywhere in the Elmwood/Allentown areas.  The old standbys are same as always...Coles, Goodbar, etc.  I don't have much info on the suburbs really.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
Also, let me know when you're around.  I am in Indy for Howardfest, leaving Thursday morning and returning Sunday evening.  If you're in town before Thursday or after Sunday I'd love to get a beer.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2015, 09:41:51 PM »
New hotspots since 2008:

1.  Blue Monk - Mike Shatzel's bar further down Elmwood in the city, the old Merlin's, right by the corner of Elmwood/Breckenridge.  Best bar in Buffalo, IMO, better than Cole's.  Food is good but heavy.  Best beer list in town, 32 taps, usually tough to find stuff.  Can get fairly hipstery/trendy in late nights.  Has a great outdoor beer garden if it's open...I was in on Saturday and it wasn't open for the year yet.

2.  Moor Pat - a second Shatzel family place, out in Williamsville on Main St. right in the village if you happen to be out that way.  20 taps, very small food list, cool little old building that they rehabbed that is probably like 200 years old.  Tiny place.  Much older clientele than Blue Monk but similar vibe.

3.  Community Beer Works - brewery/taproom on the west side, on Lafayette right off Niagara.  Not much to see here but they do serve pints now, so you can go in and have a pint or two and a growler fill or something.  Best brewery in the Buffalo region by a wide, wide margin.  They'll probably give you a tour (it's like a 3-room building) if you ask.  Odd hours, only open Thursday and Friday afternoons and late morning/early afternoon Saturdays.

4.  Resurgence - a stone's throw from Community Beer Works, relatively new brewery right on Niagara over by Rich Products.  They gutted and rehabbed an old building and turned it into really a super nice space.  Beers are just okay.  Very hipster place.  I wouldn't make a dedicated trip for it but worth a stop for a beer and to check out the space if you're in the area.

5.  Allen Burger Venture - a third Shatzel spot, this one is brand new on Allen.  Formerly Quaker Bonnet bakery, not sure what it was before then.  Basically right across the street from Towne.  Super trendy burger/beer bar.  I have not been there but heard the food is quite good, but pricey.  Still pretty new so it's pretty packed during peak hours and they don't take reservations.

6.  Gene McCarthy's - this has been here forever but they've made some changes recently.  They started brewing their own beer like two years ago now.  Nothing amazing but not too bad.  Ed and I went here when he was in town...nice off-the-beaten-path spot.

You can find a decent beer list pretty much anywhere in the Elmwood/Allentown areas.  The old standbys are same as always...Coles, Goodbar, etc.  I don't have much info on the suburbs really.

Good info :thumbup:

I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving Monday morning.    :(

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2015, 01:16:26 AM »
New hotspots since 2008:

Good info :thumbup:

I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving Monday morning.    :(

Why do you hate Pete so much?

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »
Update?

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
Update?

Just got home this afternoon.  Trip was uneventful, but sweet cheesus that's a long drive.  Didn't have time for much beer drinking, but I hit Cole's on Friday night with an old friend from work.  Had a Community Beer Works single hop pale ale that was good, and a few other local/NY beers - all decent.  Ate BBQ wings and fried risotto balls.  Then we went to Blue Monk for some more beer and food.  Allagash tripel and Dieu du ciel quad, to wash down the blue balls and duck frites.  Then we went to Mother's for oysters, shrimp and a couple glasses of wine.

Only other beer I had the whole trip was Saturday afternoon at Flying Bison.  There was a food truck we wanted to try (http://www.bettycrockski.com/) that was at the brewery that afternoon, so we headed down there.  Apparently they were having a release party for a new beer, but we just wanted to eat some pierogi.  I had an Aviator Red - used to be my "go to" beer at Cole's back in the day.  Still liked it enough to bring home a six pack.

Other food highlights:  Got to introduce the kid to pizza and wings from Mattina's, hot dog at Ted's, cinnamon custard at Andersen's, and Paula's donughts.  We also picked up a couple of sandwiches from Marco's for the ride home on Monday.  Sunday morning breakfast at Bertha's on Hertel.  We also checked out the West Side Bazaar on Saturday evening - disappointed that the Ethiopian food booth was closed for the weekend, but I ordered some noodle dish from the Burmese place that was really good.  Did not have time to make it to  Dinosaur BBQ or Fat Bob's ... maybe next time. 

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »
Good stuff.  I can't believe you ate at Coles, Blue Monk, and Mother's back-to-back-to-back.  I don't think I'd be able to move after that.

Betty Crockski is a solid food truck.  Girl is my age from Grand Island (hometown pride) and a UB MBA (alma mater pride) but I don't actually know her from either of those two things.  A bunch of my friends do though, say she's great.  The handful of times I've eaten there it's always been good, they seem to be one of the more noticeable trucks around town along with Lloyd and a few others.

Was the Aviator Red on tap?  If so, it's pretty good now, much better than it used to be.  I have to warn you though, the bottles are brewed in a separate facility I believe.  Kegged Aviator Red is brewed in Buffalo, but unless they've changed something in the past few months, all bottles are brewed in Utica at Saranac's facility.  So it might not be the same beer.

Everything else sounds good.  Bertha's is my favorite breakfast place, we took Charlie there when he came to town in the fall.  Took him to Paula's too.  Dino is overrated anyway.  Suzy Q's is the place to go for BBQ in Buffalo IMO.