search

Author Topic: Buffalo, NY official beer thread  (Read 6303 times)

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
Buffalo, NY official beer thread
« on: October 09, 2007, 09:30:09 AM »
I'm heading up to the Buffalo area for two days at the end of this week.  Driving through Canadia (Sarnia -> Hamilton -> Niagara Falls).

Any recommendations for good places to pick up singles along the way?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:56:17 AM by tangfoot »
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
Re: Amherst/Buffalo/Niagara
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:21:38 AM »
I'm heading up to the Buffalo area for two days at the end of this week.  Driving through Canadia (Sarnia -> Hamilton -> Niagara Falls).

Any recommendations for good places to pick up singles along the way?
You talking women or beer?  :shrug:

I'd hit Premier Gourmet, located just south of Sheridan (324) on Delaware Ave.  Great selection of singles, local growlers, and a killer cheese shop as well.  Highly recommended.  www.premiergourmet.com

For beer, my favorites are Cole's and Goodbar's (located on the Elmwood Strip just south of the Buffalo State campus), Colter Bay (Delaware at Allen, about 8 minutes south of Premier near the Holiday Inn), and Pearl Street Brewing Co. (not far from the Aud, across Pearl Street from the baseball stadium - decent brewpub).  The Buffalo brewpub has a good tap selection, but it's out by Transit road and Rte 5.

Wings - Go to Duff's at Sheridan and Millersport (take 290, exit for Millersport Hwy (263) south, turn left on Sheridan (324), then immediate right into the parking lot. Trust me on this one.  From Duff's, Premier is about 5 miles west (you'll need to turn around and head the other direction on Sheridan) then left onto Delaware 1 block.

Hope these help!  :banned:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Let's change the thread topic to "Buffalo, NY official beer thread" and I'll update it...
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:50:54 PM »
Update:  Gabriel's Gate (Allen St., 1/2 block east of Delaware) is a half block from Colter Bay and may have the best wings on the freaking planet.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »
Update:  Gabriel's Gate (Allen St., 1/2 block east of Delaware) is a half block from Colter Bay and may have the best wings on the freaking planet.
My personal favorite is Nine Eleven Tavern (named before 9/11, obviously) in South Buffalo...ever been there?

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »
My personal favorite is Nine Eleven Tavern (named before 9/11, obviously) in South Buffalo...ever been there?

Nope - location?  always up for new places!  :banned:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »

It's off of South Park and Hopkins on Bloomfield, I believe.  Real hole in the wall right in the middle of nowhere.  Amazing wings though.

I've always heard great things about Gabriel's Gate, but I've never eaten there.  I used to work literally right across the street from Colter Bay in the big green building - 570 Delaware, if you're familiar with the area.  Allentown is great...such great food out there....Lagniappe's, Quaker Bonnet, Gabriel's Gate, good beer and food at Colter Bay and Fat Bob's....plus all the good bars.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
Here's a Buffalo Rising article.

The beer selection is standard Buffalo fare - Blue, Molson - but the wings are the best I've ever had, no shtick.  Better than Duff's.

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »
one of these day sI need to do a field trip to Buffalo for wings... Not sure if I can do that trip in one day tho :)
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

Bakes > Do you remember Rooties?  Used to be on Millersport (I think) near the UB North campus.  They were favorite wing place back in the college days, but I'm pretty sure they've been gone for years now.  :(

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »

Bakes > Do you remember Rooties?  Used to be on Millersport (I think) near the UB North campus.  They were favorite wing place back in the college days, but I'm pretty sure they've been gone for years now.  :(
Rooties was great - the wings were great and usually huge.  The owner sold when they redeveloped the building and is now operating Rootie's in Louisville, KY.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:25:13 AM by bakes »

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »

Rooties was great - the wings were great and usually huge.  The owner sold when they redeveloped the building and is now operating Rootie's in Lexington, KY.

:excited:

Putting that in the notebook in case I am ever driving through there!  I also see you can still buy the Rooties bleu cheese dressing online - that stuff was as thick as mortar!

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »
Here's a Buffalo Rising article.

The beer selection is standard Buffalo fare - Blue, Molson - but the wings are the best I've ever had, no shtick.  Better than Duff's.

:thumbup:  Nothing wrong with a couple of ice cold Blues to wash down the wings.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »

Rooties was great - the wings were great and usually huge.  The owner sold when they redeveloped the building and is now operating Rootie's in Lexington, KY.

:excited:

Putting that in the notebook in case I am ever driving through there!  I also see you can still buy the Rooties bleu cheese dressing online - that stuff was as thick as mortar!

Yep - designed to stick to the wings no matter how much sauce they threw on them.  The Rooties BBQ sauce is available at Premier Gourmet. 

Definitely on my list of places to hit if I'm down that way.  Haven't had a Rootie's wing in forever.  Still remember their coupons in the Current; hell, I may still have one of the coupons kicking around somewhere.  Should bring it with me if I go for shits and giggles.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
Not Lexington, Louisville. Fixed. :bag:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 11:54:17 AM »
Where was Rooties?  Millersport near north campus where?  Near Duffs or farther north toward Lockport?

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »
Where was Rooties?  Millersport near north campus where?  Near Duffs or farther north toward Lockport?
Past the north campus, about a mile or so (depending on where you got on 263) towards Lockport on 263.  I lived off of Main Street campus so I didn't get there often as I had to drive past Duff's to do so.  No cash? Rootie's with a coupon.  A little cash? Duff's.  A lot of cash?  :lol:  Not in that lifetime.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
I just heard a rumor the other day about a possible new beer bar that's opening....some kind of Belgian theme with a lot of good imports?

Just a rumor...no idea what it's called or anything though...

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 07:37:03 PM »
I just heard a rumor the other day about a possible new beer bar that's opening....some kind of Belgian theme with a lot of good imports?

Just a rumor...no idea what it's called or anything though...

Keep us updated  :thumbup:
Wanna suck it?

ISO: Coitus Beard Chicken Milk Porter

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 12:19:39 PM »
Found a link - link

I know that building, right in the heart of Elmwood.  Looks like it's going to be owned and run by the guy who runs Cole's, so it should be pretty good. 

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
Found a link - link

I know that building, right in the heart of Elmwood.  Looks like it's going to be owned and run by the guy who runs Cole's, so it should be pretty good. 

Very cool - never went into the place when it was Merlin's, but this is another fine addition to the Elmwood strip.   :thumbup:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »
Found a link - link

Very cool - never went into the place when it was Merlin's, but this is another fine addition to the Elmwood strip.   :thumbup:
Me either.  It's kinda farther down Elmwood, away from the Cole's/Mr. Goodbar end and right near my old high school.  Right in the middle of all the shops, Spot Coffee, the former Coffee &, etc.  I'll give it a try, I'm sure the beer will be great....probably pretty highly priced though.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »
Any hidden gem bottle shops in the vicinity? Looks like I will be rolling through town Friday evening on the way from Toronto to Pittsburgh (leaving the GTA around 4:30ish Friday afternoon, but would like to get to the 'burgh before it's too late as I have to be up early to be at the rink Saturday morning). I've been to Premiere and a couple Consumers locations in the past, but any additional info is appreciated.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 10:59:14 PM »
Any hidden gem bottle shops in the vicinity? Looks like I will be rolling through town Friday evening on the way from Toronto to Pittsburgh (leaving the GTA around 4:30ish Friday afternoon, but would like to get to the 'burgh before it's too late as I have to be up early to be at the rink Saturday morning). I've been to Premiere and a couple Consumers locations in the past, but any additional info is appreciated.
Hmmm, tough call.

The best selection that I've seen, to be honest, can be found at either Premier or Consumers on Niagara Falls Blvd in Amherst.  Premier's is the closer to my house of the two, so I generally shop there.  Their selection is better, but I'd say it's ever-so-slightly pricier than Consumers.  Consumers, however, was the only place to stock the LeBleu, so they have that going for them.

One place you could try is the Village Beer Merchant.  I've been there only twice that I can remember as it's in one of the "hot spots" in town right in the Elmwood/Allentown district.  They have a slightly different selection than Premier and Consumers.  They seem to have a deeper selection of brands like Smuttynose, for some reason, I'm not sure why.  Price is on par with Premier, maybe slightly higher as they hold themselves out as like a hipster hotspot.  Whereas Consumers is kinda a one-stop shop for all beverages....pop, beer, cases of Labatt Blue, etc....VBM is a niche place selling basically just beer.  The selection and price are certainly manageable, but the selection isn't THAT great to where I'd go out of my way to get there.  The only time I go there is when I'm in the area with some free time, really.

I wouldn't quite describe it as a hidden gem bottle shop, but if you've got some time to kill, it might not be a bad stop.

Other than that, if there's a hidden gem bottle shop, I don't know about it. 

Here's a link:  Village Beer Merchant

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Looking through their growler list, it looks like they have EBC Chocolate Cherry Bomb on tap....I might have to go out there this week if that's the case.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 12:07:38 AM »
Looking through their growler list, it looks like they have EBC Chocolate Cherry Bomb on tap....I might have to go out there this week if that's the case.

Sounds interesting but not sure if I want to head "into town". Prefer to stay close to the freeways since it's just going to be a short pit stop. I wish I could find a LeBleu or two but hey, that's the way it falls.

Probably a quick stop at Lockport Consumers (Flower Power on growler fill  :banned:) and Premiere- I do like Premiere a lot.  :pickle:

Thanks Mr. Special Teams! :thumbup:

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
Re: Buffalo, NY official beer thread
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »
Let's change the thread topic to "Buffalo, NY official beer thread" and I'll update it...

As you requested.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 07:07:18 PM »
Premier ramping up their selection with a ton more Goose Island and Great Divide stuff.  Loving it.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 07:16:43 PM »
Consumer's on Transit just tapped Super Friends  :excited:

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 07:19:05 PM »
Consumer's on Transit just tapped Super Friends  :excited:

thats the beer that would never die
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 06:29:25 PM »

It's off of South Park and Hopkins on Bloomfield, I believe.  Real hole in the wall right in the middle of nowhere.  Amazing wings though.

I've always heard great things about Gabriel's Gate, but I've never eaten there.  I used to work literally right across the street from Colter Bay in the big green building - 570 Delaware, if you're familiar with the area.  Allentown is great...such great food out there....Lagniappe's, Quaker Bonnet, Gabriel's Gate, good beer and food at Colter Bay and Fat Bob's....plus all the good bars.
Update - going to Gabriel's Gate for the first time ever (to eat....I've been there drinking before) tonight.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »
Found a link - link

Update:  I still haven't been here, and it's been open for months.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
Update - going to Gabriel's Gate for the first time ever (to eat....I've been there drinking before) tonight.
We split wings for an appetizer and I had a burger and chips.  The food was pretty good, and the place got packed right around the start of the Sabres game at 8 PM.  The wings were, I'd say, above average.  Not quite as good as Duff's or Nine Eleven....probably on par with La Nova and Bar-Bill.

Gabriel's Brown Ale was surprisingly impressive though.  I didn't know that they had a house beer....I figured it was made by Custom, and it is.  But regardless, Custom's been impressing me lately.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
We split wings for an appetizer and I had a burger and chips.  The food was pretty good, and the place got packed right around the start of the Sabres game at 8 PM.  The wings were, I'd say, above average.  Not quite as good as Duff's or Nine Eleven....probably on par with La Nova and Bar-Bill.

Gabriel's Brown Ale was surprisingly impressive though.  I didn't know that they had a house beer....I figured it was made by Custom, and it is.  But regardless, Custom's been impressing me lately.

Custom's been doing a better job now that they've got the new brewhouse figured out - a lot cleaner than they once were.  Gate wings still rock my world - going to have to try Nine Eleven one of these days when I'm in town.   Travel has been on the lean side in these austere times. :(

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »
Buffalo Wings are one of the greatest guilty food pleasures in life for me. I really want to make it up there some day to sample all of the best ones.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
Buffalo Wings are one of the greatest guilty food pleasures in life for me. I really want to make it up there some day to sample all of the best ones.

:thumbup:  It's soooo worth it - but the thing to remember about Buffalo is that it only starts with wings; there's also beef on weck, Ted's hot dogs, Mister Pizza, Mighty Taco... the place is a beer drinking food mecca.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »

:thumbup:  It's soooo worth it - but the thing to remember about Buffalo is that it only starts with wings; there's also beef on weck, Ted's hot dogs, Mister Pizza, Mighty Taco... the place is a beer drinking food mecca.

:cry:

Offline BeerTruth

• Double IPA
  • How 'bout them Bills?
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 07:00:21 PM »

But then you'd have to make the trek over to Rochester, then to Syracuse, then down to Ithaca, and back up to Albany...DO IT!!!!!!

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 08:26:25 PM »

Pastry hearts, sponge candy, and Aunt Rosie's Loganberry, too.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

Plus the unique "Buffalo-style" pizza, the halfway cross between NY thin-crust and Chicago deep-dish.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 03:52:10 PM »

There are no words to describe how perfectly dark chocolate sponge candy goes with Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout...

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »

There are no words to describe how perfectly dark chocolate sponge candy goes with Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout...

They have that here, too, but the local freaks call it "angel food" or "fairy food."   :rolleyes:

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 10:58:53 AM »

They have that here, too, but the local freaks call it "angel food" or "fairy food."   :rolleyes:
:blink:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »
Also, the guys at Community BeerWorks just moved into their west side brewery on Lafayette....really looking forward to their stuff.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 01:22:19 PM »
Also, the guys at Community BeerWorks just moved into their west side brewery on Lafayette....really looking forward to their stuff.
:thumbup:  When will they be up and running?

Also, Custom Brewcrafters has released Caged Alpha Monkey IPA in six packs.  Going to find out tonight which of the test batches made it into the bottle.  One was rippingly hoppy; hope that one was the one they decided on.

Offline flyingtaco

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
    • Blog of the Flying Taco
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
3 days in Buffalo await. What's fresh in town?

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »

Nothing.

Go to Toronto or Cleveland.
Wanna suck it?

Offline flyingtaco

• Quadrupel
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 12:25:34 AM »

Nothing.

Toronto's next month. Some Cleveland beer's usually around the town (Great Lakes). But...look on the bright side...Sly Fox (including Saison Vos) is also usually available at Premier. There were a couple of things I saw last trip over there but it's like it was over a year ago so "outlook hazy, try again later." :magic8ball:

Offline Lum

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 12:30:57 AM »

Nothing.

Toronto's next month. Some Cleveland beer's usually around the town (Great Lakes). But...look on the bright side...Sly Fox (including Saison Vos) is also usually available at Premier. There were a couple of things I saw last trip over there but it's like it was over a year ago so "outlook hazy, try again later." :magic8ball:

B-lo has some nice spots... I really don't know whats going on out there right now - haven't been out thataway in a couple of months.

After 26+ in that area... I really do not have anything positive to say about it  :shrug:
Wanna suck it?

Offline flyingtaco

• Quadrupel
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 12:57:01 AM »

Nothing.

B-lo has some nice spots... I really don't know whats going on out there right now - haven't been out thataway in a couple of months.

After 26+ in that area... I really do not have anything positive to say about it  :shrug:
I enjoy hitting the old country a great deal every few months. I was there for school and a few years afterwards. All in about what...9 years I guess. Some of my best friends are still there and good beer, food (I said good, not healthy) and music are always abundant (and inexpensive). Too abundant almost, because whenever we stay the weekend the Monday morning after hits like a blessed sledgehammer.

There's definitely a lot of Shakedown Street in the town. The worst part is watching the countless empty storefronts and catching the bitter chill and the ride on the way to the airport in the late fall on the way out of town. It's pretty much frigid tundra at that point, and yeah...it's &*(%ing depressing. Still, there are solid schools there and for those that do build a career there, it...is...&*(%ing...cheap...to live. For an occasional visit with friends, it's always a great time and a reminder that I'm not 23 anymore.

Besides, to me, Rochester is a lot worse... :banned: