search

Author Topic: Offsite Cellaring Service  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
Offsite Cellaring Service
« on: March 28, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »
Are any of you guys using an offsite cellar?  Proninja uses the services provided by Maltandvine, and it seems really cheap.  Although I don't remember the exact costs.  I want to say it was $300/year or less for the smallest (10 case) locker.

This idea has been kicking around in my head ever since I saw the place last year, and I was wondering what some of the other TBS people do to make it a little harder to 'raid the stash' as it were.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Re: Offsite Cellaring Service
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »
:furley: pay someone else to sit on my beer?  maybe i'm missing the concept here.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:25:44 AM »
I don't have any beer I'd want to pay someone to store for me.   :shrug:  I still need to build a wall in my basement for the beer ... just sitting in boxes now, and I don't even remember half of what is down there.

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »
I do know some people who use offsite storage for both beer and wine. But they are relatively huge "cellar-ers". The catch with this concept is that the people who are usually willing to pay for offsite storage eventually end up just building a room in their basement for the storage themselves. That's been the case for my few friends who I've known to do that.

As for the utility you personally might get out of it, I'd say if the cost of the service is worth it to you in order to make sure you actually don't raid the cellar, then go for it. Although, if you have the ability to put the bottles in a spot with a door, you can just put a lock on it and give the key to someone else.

Basically, if you think you have enough inventory to do it this way, plus the need to physically separate yourself from the bottles, then go for it. I haven't had the need up to this point. Although, I had a run no too long ago where I drank the majority of my 2005-2006-2007 bottles. And now I'm feeling the regret. Although, the beer was outstanding. It's a give and take. :shrug:
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »
There's also something to be said for long term storage at optimum temperature and humidity. 
My tri-level basement gets well into the 70s all summer.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »
Guy that owns a local liquor store is looking to provide cellaring at his place.  He said he was thinking like $4 initially for a case and then like $2 a month.  Not a bad deal if you don't have the room.

Another local chain offers cellaring services for wine but they'll do beer too.  Here's the info on what they charge.  You can also get insurance on it through them which would be a nice option if you had a huge collection.

For a new cellar, the customer will be billed $4.00 per case for the first month. Thereafter, the customer will be billed twice a year at $2.00 per case per month.

A $10.00 per time fee will be charged for removal of single or individual bottles from various cases. A $5.00 fee will be charged for removing one bottle from one particular case, and a $5.00 in-and-out fee will be charged to move or adjust any cases. No fee will be charged to remove a single case of wine.

http://www.haskells.com/companyinformation/cellarstorage/index.aspx
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:29:05 AM »
Just do like I did and get a chest freezer with a temp controller.  I can store about 10 or more cases of beer and keep it at any temp I want.  Works great.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

Offline nchrist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »
Just do like I did and get a chest freezer with a temp controller.  I can store about 10 or more cases of beer and keep it at any temp I want.  Works great.

pain in the ass to get what you want, tho.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »

pain in the ass to get what you want, tho.

A bit but then again most of it is in there to sit for a while.  Keep the stuff I plan on keeping for a while in the bottom and the stuff I'll want sooner on top.  Anything up on deck goes in the refrigerator.