search

Author Topic: Founders Brewing  (Read 5906 times)

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Re: Founders Brewing
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2012, 05:52:18 AM »
It'll be limited to one bottle a customer so who cares anymore?!  :shrug:

it makes me sad that founders has played us oldskoolers like this lately

I've been returning the favor :shrug:

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »

:thumbup:

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »

:thumbup:

yea, that thumb up (right up our arses) is right.....I havent bought much founders but thats just because they never ship fresh stuff anymore  <_<  I will say I loved harvest this year and I plan on buying Double Trouble soon too :bag:
“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Location: Kicking your asses at SFV and have a summer home in pandora
  • Putting in the hardest work of all, caring...
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »

really?  :shrug:

;)
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »
in case there are one or two people here who don't get the newsletter:

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/blog/beer-releases/better-half-is-the-next-beer-in-our-backstage-series

Grand Rapids, Michigan, December 14, 2011 — Founders Brewing Co.’s Co-Founder and Vice President of Marketing, Dave Engbers, announced today that Curmudgeon’s Better Half would be the next release in the brewery’s 750mL Backstage Series, with availability beginning on February 13, 2012, just in time for Valentine’s Day.

There has been a great deal of anticipation and speculation on the upcoming Backstage release because of the success of the first two large bottle format releases: Blushing Monk and Canadian Breakfast Stout earlier in 2011. The purpose of the series is to bring some of Founders’ most sought after beers, which had previously been available primarily at the brewery taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

“It’s been a lot of fun to watch the beer enthusiasts speculate,” explains Founders’ President, Mike Stevens. “We really try to keep people guessing, but at the end of the day our focus has always been on making beers that over-deliver.”

Curmudgeon’s Better Half is a re-branding of the beer formerly known as Kaiser’s Curmudgeon, which has only been served at Founders’ taproom and in extremely limited draft distribution. Curmudgeon is an old ale brewed with molasses and aged on oak; it becomes Better Half after aging—for 254 days—in bourbon barrels that have more recently been aging Michigan maple syrup. As a result, Curmudgeon’s Better Half is a bit sweeter than her miserly counterpart. Appropriately, the beer label depicts her holding a pitcher of syrup for the Curmudgeon’s breakfast, and is released at the perfect time of year for you to buy one for the Better Half in your life.

“The goal of the Backstage Series is to allow those beer enthusiasts who don’t have the ability to make it to our taproom an opportunity to experience some of the beers that, historically, have been limited to our taproom and a handful of high exposure events,” Engbers said. “Although these beers are not brewed in large volume, it is our intention to distribute them to all of our markets.”

The company is not revealing any additional releases in the series, but Engbers said it would consist of many of the “popular one-offs and possible big experiments” that have been offered in the taproom over the years and have become favorites among patrons and brewery staff.

The company expects to release two additional products in the Backstage Series later in 2012.

Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2013, 08:41:15 AM »
Brewer’s Grove Project: Taproom Beer to Benefit Friends of GR Parks
Posted on July 26, 2013 by Sarah
We will be participating in the Brewer’s Grove Project to benefit the Friends of GR Parks during the week of August 4-10: We will have a 100-Year Oak IPA (Centennial IPA aged on oak) on tap in our taproom only during that week, and we will be donating $1 from each pint sold to the Urban Forest Project. This project is being recognized across breweries in the Grand Rapids area as a collaboration in honor of our Beer City USA designation.

Very old Oak tree

As part of this project, there will be a ceremony and tree planting event on October 17 at Riverside Park, so save the date! They plan to begin roughly at 4pm to plant the trees in a “planting party” where the goal is to pay for 100 trees (plant 30 at this event) and then dedicate the area as Brewer’s Grove at the ceremony. They have obtained an open containers permit so fans and volunteers can bring growlers. There will also be a large inflatable screen showing a beer movie at dusk. Please stay tuned for more information.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/centennial-ipa-cans/

Following the recent release of All Day IPA in cans, our team is preparing to put Centennial IPA in 12-pack cans, as well, likely to go on shelves at some point early in 2014. We have designed the packaging and are in the process of determining what this new package will require from us in terms of production capacity. We hope to share more details, including a launch timeline, later this year.

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »
that's beautiful

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »
GIVE ME SOME FUCKING FRESH REDS RYE

:)
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/sweet-repute-winter-2013-backstage-series-release/?av-submitted=true

We plan to introduce Sweet Repute, a wheat wine aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels, this December to mark the eighth installment in our Backstage Series. Like all Backstage Series beers, Sweet Repute will be sold in 750mL bottles. It has a suggested retail price of $17.99–$19.99 per bottle.

sweet-repute

Our brewing team painstakingly choreographed each layer of this beer’s characteristics, starting with a healthy wheat and roasted malt base and adding clean, fragrant hops. It’s one hundred percent barrel-aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels and bourbon barrels over the course of sixteen months, then blended using carefully calculated ratios for the ultimate final product. The resulting 13% ABV liquid pours a bright warm russet with a stubborn ivory head and an intoxicatingly sweet nutty aroma. We put Sweet Repute in a larger bottle with sharing in mind.

“We’re excited about this one,” said Co-Founder and Vice President of Brand & Education Dave Engbers. “Every sample we’ve pulled from the barrels down in the caves has been incredible.”

Sweet Repute will join the ranks of our world-class barrel-aged beers, such as Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS), Backwoods Bastard, Curmudgeon’s Better Half and many, many more taproom-only ales.

Sweet Repute will be released in limited quantities across our distribution footprint beginning on Monday, December 2, and will be available at our taproom the same week. This will be ourlast Backstage Series release in 2013, with more releases to come in 2014.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »
I WANT ALL DAY IPA CANS IN TEXAS!!!!   :ale: :ale: :ale: :ale:

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »
I think I will pass on Sweet Repute.  It sounds like a remake of Nemesis 2009 which was the only beer from Founder's I would turn down if offered.

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »
I think I will pass on Sweet Repute.  It sounds like a remake of Nemesis 2009 which was the only beer from Founder's I would turn down if offered.

Bingo, it sure does sound like Nemesis 2009.    :yes:

But, dang it. I still have to try it!   :banned:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »
Sweet Repute? They should call it Sweet Nips :mellow:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »
http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/sweet-repute-winter-2013-backstage-series-release/?av-submitted=true

We plan to introduce Sweet Repute, a wheat wine aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels, this December to mark the eighth installment in our Backstage Series. Like all Backstage Series beers, Sweet Repute will be sold in 750mL bottles. It has a suggested retail price of $17.99–$19.99 per bottle.

sweet-repute

Our brewing team painstakingly choreographed each layer of this beer’s characteristics, starting with a healthy wheat and roasted malt base and adding clean, fragrant hops. It’s one hundred percent barrel-aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels and bourbon barrels over the course of sixteen months, then blended using carefully calculated ratios for the ultimate final product. The resulting 13% ABV liquid pours a bright warm russet with a stubborn ivory head and an intoxicatingly sweet nutty aroma. We put Sweet Repute in a larger bottle with sharing in mind.

“We’re excited about this one,” said Co-Founder and Vice President of Brand & Education Dave Engbers. “Every sample we’ve pulled from the barrels down in the caves has been incredible.”

Sweet Repute will join the ranks of our world-class barrel-aged beers, such as Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS), Backwoods Bastard, Curmudgeon’s Better Half and many, many more taproom-only ales.

Sweet Repute will be released in limited quantities across our distribution footprint beginning on Monday, December 2, and will be available at our taproom the same week. This will be ourlast Backstage Series release in 2013, with more releases to come in 2014.

from the newsletter:

Sweet Repute, a wheat wine aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels, hits shelves and draft lines starting on December 2 to mark the eighth installment in our Backstage Series.

Here's the official description:

It’s not always a good thing when your reputation precedes you. But the complexity of this powerful wheat wine will give it a Sweet Repute no matter where, when or how your paths meet. Our brewing team painstakingly choreographed each layer of this beer’s characteristics, starting with a healthy wheat and roasted malt base and adding clean, fragrant hops. It’s one-hundred percent barrel aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels and bourbon barrels over the course of sixteen months, then blended using carefully calculated ratios for the ultimate final product. The resulting 13% ABV liquid pours a bright warm russet with a stubborn ivory head and an intoxicatingly sweet nutty aroma. Take your time allowing the layers of flavors to unfold…Because it’ll only get better.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/07/founders_will_double_in_size_b.html#incart_river_default

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — If you thought Founders Brewing Co. had gotten big in the last couple years, wait until you see it next spring.

By May 2015, the Grand Rapids brewery plans to complete a $25 million expansion project that will double its beer-making capacity to 600,000 barrels.

The brewery is just a couple weeks away from deciding whether to build the new manufacturing space at its downtown facility or in another location around the Grand Rapids area, said CEO Mike Stevens.

“We are trying to move fast and furious,” said Stevens, who just last year shepherded Founders through a $26 million expansion of the brewhouse, cellar and company taproom at 235 Grandville Ave. SW.

“Just in the last couple months, things have heated-up for us quite a bit,” he said.

“Sales just have not slowed-up one bit. We’re seeing one of the strongest years we’ve seen in our history.”

Overall sales are up 54 percent over 2013, said Stevens. Sales of All Day IPA, a session ale that Founders spent four years perfecting as a flagship brand before debuting last summer, is up 138 percent over last year.

All Day IPA is not the only Founders beer surging in sales. Centennial IPA is up 63 percent over 2013; Dirty Bastard is up 48 percent, and Founders Porter is up 87 percent, he said.

On Tuesday, July 1, the brewery also announced a new addition to the specialty lineup: Dark Penance, an imperial black IPA that lands in October.

Related: All Day IPA: The beer that almost wasn't

“We’re really seeing broad growth from the entire portfolio,” he said. “The Founders brand and name is really gaining momentum and credibility.”

Founders, which moved from No. 30 in 2012 to No. 26 on the list of largest craft brewers in the country last year, has enjoyed a 67 percent compound annual growth rate since 2008, which Stevens called “a record growth rate, definitely, in our industry.”

More of the company beer is showing up in more places every day. Bar and restaurant distribution is up 61 percent over last year, and store sales are up 45 percent, Stevens said.

The growth is starting to put pressure on the brewery’s ability to fill orders, said Stevens. The expansion is an attempt to build some cushion into that process and increase the brewery’s ability to meet demand during peak times.

The company plans to finance the new construction with a combination of cash reserves and taking on some debt, Stevens said.

The expansion would likely boost the number of employees from 250 to 300, he said, mostly in the brewhouse, cellar and packaging departments.

Stevens expects Founders to make about 195,000 barrels of beer by year’s end, but said the company has been brewing this year at about 250,000 barrels-per-year rate.

While past expansions were somewhat headache-inducing, Stevens said the company’s executive leadership team and financial security have evolved to a point where doubling in size in less than a year is a doable endeavor.

“Hopefully, we’ll be able to stay well ahead of the curve in terms of supply and demand."

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
http://www.brewreviewcrew.com/founders-label/

This is an update to our story from the first episode of our podcast

Founders Brewing Company officially relabels ‘Breakfast Stout’ due to a law regarding the use of images of minors on alcoholic beverage labels. Founders has removed the iconic baby from their Breakfast Stout label in lieu of recent controversy over the inclusion of a baby on the bottle label of the hyper-popular alcoholic beverage.

Appearing on the new label is an all-too-familiar breakfast bowl donning the Founders namesake. Where the Founders baby once was, there is now a note on the refrigerator that reads “left the crib for a bit, call me if you need me 616-522-2720″

If curiosity gets the better of you and you call the number, you will be met by a recorded message left presumably by the Founders baby. The message is as follows: “Hey! Thanks for checking up on me. I’m currently not allowed in my home-state of Michigan, so I’m hanging in the rest of the Founders distribution footprint this fall. Leave me a message letting me know how much you love double-chocolate coffee oatmeal stouts, where you’re drinking your beer, OR, how badly you want me to come home. My Founders family may even use your voicemail for something fun! Maybe I’ll see you again next year…then again…maybe not.”

Offline skinnyguy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
http://www.brewreviewcrew.com/founders-label/

This is an update to our story from the first episode of our podcast

Founders Brewing Company officially relabels ‘Breakfast Stout’ due to a law regarding the use of images of minors on alcoholic beverage labels. Founders has removed the iconic baby from their Breakfast Stout label in lieu of recent controversy over the inclusion of a baby on the bottle label of the hyper-popular alcoholic beverage.

Appearing on the new label is an all-too-familiar breakfast bowl donning the Founders namesake. Where the Founders baby once was, there is now a note on the refrigerator that reads “left the crib for a bit, call me if you need me 616-522-2720″

If curiosity gets the better of you and you call the number, you will be met by a recorded message left presumably by the Founders baby. The message is as follows: “Hey! Thanks for checking up on me. I’m currently not allowed in my home-state of Michigan, so I’m hanging in the rest of the Founders distribution footprint this fall. Leave me a message letting me know how much you love double-chocolate coffee oatmeal stouts, where you’re drinking your beer, OR, how badly you want me to come home. My Founders family may even use your voicemail for something fun! Maybe I’ll see you again next year…then again…maybe not.”

:o That is quite the reponse.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2015, 07:47:35 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/09/founders_all_day_ipa_expansion.html

"It is the beer that almost wasn't and now it represents half of the total liquid that Founders Brewing Co. currently bottles, kegs and cans."

:o:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/09/founders_all_day_ipa_expansion.html

"It is the beer that almost wasn't and now it represents half of the total liquid that Founders Brewing Co. currently bottles, kegs and cans."

Thats crazy. Such a damn good beer.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »

Thats crazy. Such a damn good beer.

The 900000bbl capacity is low end from what I was told on Thursday.  They think they can pump out 1million barrels with what they have on hand.  The place is truly amazing.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »
Taproom Exclusive: Gose

After experimenting with the style for a bit, our Brewmaster Jeremy has put our first-ever Gose (goh-zuh) on draft here at our taproom. Let's just say it Gose down smoothly (hey-yo!).

It features low hop bitterness, spice from the use of ground coriander seeds and a soft mouthfeel from the addition of sea salt. It's the first of a lineup of interesting Taproom-exclusive beers to come this summer.

Offline skinnyguy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »

After experimenting with the style for a bit, our Brewmaster Jeremy has put our first-ever Gose (goh-zuh) on draft here at our taproom. Let's just say it Gose down smoothly (hey-yo!).

It features low hop bitterness, spice from the use of ground coriander seeds and a soft mouthfeel from the addition of sea salt. It's the first of a lineup of interesting Taproom-exclusive beers to come this summer.

Everybody is making Gose this year.

I definitely prefer Berliner Weiss.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »

Everybody is making Gose this year.

I definitely prefer Berliner Weiss.

I'll take either but prefer Berliners too.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »
https://tenemu.com/news/founders-adding-barrel-aged-imperial-stout-to-mothership-series-jan-23/12/2018

FOUNDERS ADDING BARREL-AGED IMPERIAL STOUT TO MOTHERSHIP SERIES JAN. 23

A beer that fans of Founders Brewing Co. have been wanting for years is finally being released.

Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout is an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels. As the name suggests, the new beer uses the Grand Rapids, Mich.-based brewery’s Imperial Stout as its base.

The Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout will be the fifth addition in Founders Mothership Series, which consists of releases that have been “brought out of retirement” or “experimental new styles” and will be available for carryout exclusively at the brewery’s taprooms in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles:

Mothership Series #1: Red Rye IPA (6.6 percent ABV) — February 2018 — IPA brewed with imported Belgian caramel malts and dry-hopped with Amarillo hops

Mothership Series #2: Sleeper Cell (10.8 percent ABV) — April 2018 — Double IPA brewed with “an intense dose” of five different hop varieties

Mothership Series #3: MF Donkey Stout (6.4 percent ABV) — September 2018 — Stout brewed with Mackinac Fudge coffee sourced from Ferris Coffee & Nut

Mothership Series #4: Panther Cub — December 2018 — Porter aged in a combination of BLIS maple syrup bourbon barrels and regular bourbon barrels for “over two years” with whole vanilla beans

Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout — January 2019 — Imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels

According to a post on Founders’ website, Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout will be packaged in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles and is scheduled to be released exclusively at both of the brewery’s taprooms in Detroit and Grand Rapids, Michigan on Jan. 23.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2018, 04:05:00 PM »
 :excited: please don't f this up :mellow: