search

Author Topic: Portland OR- 4/20....2019  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Sebowski

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Quadrupel
Re: Portland OR
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 02:31:02 AM »
Just used Hotwire for my hotel and got Hotel Fifty.  Anyone ever stayed there?
Home is where the Nelson is.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 02:32:02 AM »
Also turns out it is Portland Beer Week while I'm there, though it does't look like they do much for their beer week.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
Any essential food spots besides Voodoo Doughnuts?

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
Also turns out it is Portland Beer Week while I'm there, though it does't look like they do much for their beer week.

New Belgium Sour Blending Symposium

MONDAY, JUNE 11th: Beer blending is a sensory art that has been relied on for centuries to ensure palatable beverages. Many of today’s specialty beers originated as test blends, or in fact are themselves blends of several, or many, different beers. In this Portland Beer Week seminar and workshop, guests will take a trip into New Belgium’s oak cellar, affectionately known as “Cache la Foudre”, where they will learn about NBB’s history as America’s leading producer of Belgian-style sour beers, from the brewers and blenders themselves. Eric Salazar & Lauren Woods Salazar, the curators of NBB’s sour beer program, will lead a slideshow & interactive discussion on the genesis of Wild Ales such as La Folie, Le Terroir, & Eric’s Ale “from grain to glass”, with a focus on the blender’s art & techniques. This will be followed by a one-of-a-kind, hands-on blending workshop where guests will be led through the process of experimenting & creating their own blended beer to-taste, using samples of single-barrel unblended base beer from New Belgium’s oak cellar, each dispensed from a bar-top gravity-fed cask. Guests will document their blend ratios & will be able to go home with a growler full of their very own, custom blended Portland Beer Week beer.
:pickle:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »
Any essential food spots besides Voodoo Doughnuts?

just find some of the food truck "pods" in the city... Portland food truck culture is tops.

Here is a pretty good reference:  http://www.foodcartsportland.com/

Biggest pod is between Alder and Washington around 10th street.  There are also a couple of good pods on Stark street on 3rd and 5th St.  We ate at one called Beez Neez that featured Reindeer sausage.  Also tried some Vietnamese stuff... there is so much variety.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Location: Kicking your asses at SFV and have a summer home in pandora
  • Putting in the hardest work of all, caring...
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:12:00 PM by ender »
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
Just used Hotwire for my hotel and got Hotel Fifty.  Anyone ever stayed there?
Haven't stayed there, but it looks like a great location, Hair of the Dog is just the other side of the Morrison St Bridge, which that hotel is near.

Offline ender

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Location: Kicking your asses at SFV and have a summer home in pandora
  • Putting in the hardest work of all, caring...
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2012, 11:36:34 PM »
http://www.everybodysbrewing.com/
and
http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/

are my two spots that you can't miss. and if you do, you're a damn fool.  (reference sin city in that tone)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:41:25 PM by ender »
rhyder74 on ps4.

Offline d0ggnate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pilsner
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2012, 05:55:15 PM »
Any updates from the recent visitors? I'm headed there next week and have been lurking in this thread for months. Gonna stop at as many places as my wife will tolerate. 

Offline Pols

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:11 AM »
I've really gotta try and roadtrip down to Portland in the not too distant future. 

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2012, 02:00:50 AM »

I had a great time. Loved the city. Here is a synopsis I meant to write when I got back. Only now with less memory of stuff. Hope this isn't too late to do you any good.
First day:
Landed. Jumped on the rail into the city a few blocks from Saraveza. Walked the rest of the way luggage in tow right in time for that sour beer symposium I posted about. They had a local DIPA (forgot which one) on tap. I ordered it and the bartender said "just so you know, that beer is almost 9%. Sure you want it?" :lol: Also got a Tart Lychee and sat down for the symposium. It was awesome. Eric pretended he remembered meeting me at Beachwood Sourfest last year which was nice. At the end we tasted 4 Oscars at different ages, and La Folie, then created our own blend on a scoresheet and they sent us off with our own 64oz growlers of. Saraveza also had two bottles of Eric's Ale, my girlfriend's favorite beer. So we snatched those up. They also looked like they had good food, but we called a cab and went to the hotel. We stayed at Hotel Fifty which is right at the foot of one of the Morrison bridge. Easy walk to the rail or bus or a bunch of other stuff. We walked up the street and checked out the Deschuttes pub. It was super crowded so we moved on. Found a place called Henry’s that had something like 100 taps. Food was good and got to sample a bunch of local brews.
Next day was a Tuesday. I've been on the Cascade newsletter for a long time. They email it out every Tuesday and announce what one-off they are going to tap that night. I was really looking forward to that week's edition of the newsletter. We walked to Mother's for breakfast. I got some garlic scramble thing that was amazing. The biscuits were also top notch.
Then we went to Beer Mongers to catch the Poland-Russia game and drink some beers. The tap list was small, but the bottle list was awesome and you can drink them on premise. I had a Berliner Weisse that was incredibly sour and delicious. It was from Banhof. Brettanomyces Lambicus something or other. Poland tied. Which was like a win for Poland, because sometimes when you win you actually lose and sometimes when you lose you actually win or tie, and sometimes when you tie you actually win or lose. Or something… Anyway, Beer Mongers was cool. Great bottle selection and excellent prices. Parabola was $12.45 and there was tons of it.

Also, email from Cascade comes through. Orange Sorbet :pickle:
After Mongers we walked across the street to Apex. Really liked that place. Great tap list, great bottle selection. Cool atmosphere (pinball room!) Could have easily spent the day/night there, but way too much other stuff on the plate. Here is some graffiti in their bathroom.

Between Apex and Cascade is “Distillery Row”. We decided to make that healthy walk. Only one of the distilleries was open on a Tuesday, House of Spirits. Super cool gal working the tasting room/gift shop. We did their whole flight. Vodka, coffee liquor, Au De Vie, a white whiskey, and something else I can’t remember. The whiskey, White Dog, was awesome. Actually just found it here and picked up a bottle. 
Up next for the day was Cascade :pickle: Why didn’t fly to Portland just to go to Cascade, but if Cascade wasn’t in Portland I’m not sure we pick Portland for this mini vacation. GF loves sours as well so she was equally excited. We were assuming Orange Sorbet would be on when they opened, but it turns out that they tap the one-offs at 6, so it wasn’t on yet. Turned out to be a positive thing because it meant that tap line was in use for Strawberry Cream

We had an hr or so to kill before they tapped Orange Sorbet so we walked across the street to Green Dragon. Cool looking place with a great taplist.

It also houses a tiny brewery owned by Rogue called Buckman Botanical Brewery. Instead of using late addition hops, they use teas and herbs at flameout. GF loved their Chamomellow.  I loved the JW Lees Calvados Harvest Ale on tap. I was actually pretty impressed with the chamomile beer as well. May try to brew some up myself one day. I made a beer with Yerba Mate and have always thought about trying other teas in beer so we decided to try and make the tour the next day.
Then it was back to Cascade for Tap It Tuesday. The tapping ceremony was pretty cool. They tarp up the bar and warn anyone sitting near by that they may get sprayed. It was just like a Gallagher show!

I liked the Orange Sorbet but it got completely over shadowed by the rest of my experience that night at Cascade. It was so friggin cool I don’t think it would even be right to post about it. I’ll just say that I disappeared for awhile and got in a fight with the GF for not answering my phone or texts for about an hr. When I got back the bartender said “man, you’re in trouble” I said “It was worth it”. That didn’t go over very well.…
After Cascade it was almost time for the USA-Guatemala World Cup qualifier. It was on the agenda, but GF just wanted to go back to the hotel anyway, so I went to the one place in twon that was carry the PPV game. Lucked out that it was a few blocks from the hotel. $10 to get in and they had all kinds of beer ranging from Bud to Bud Light. I had a Guiness. USA tied which felt like a loss because sometimes when you win you actually….
After the game I realized I was pretty damn drunk and also hadn’t had any dinner. Went back for the GF and then we walked to Chinatown for some pretty good late night eats and a cocktail .
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:03:58 AM by Sebowski »

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »

Last day GF wanted to check out Powell Books. I wanted to see the Netherlands-Germany game and check another bar off the hit list. I hoped on the bus to Horse Brass, GF walked to Powell (she loved Powell). I got to Horse Brass early so walked over to Belmont Station. I knew my Sour Growlers and Eric’s Ale would already fill my suitcase so I wasn’t really out to buy anything unless it was real special. I was surprised to see more Parabola and even some Sucaba on the shelf. I was also really surprised to see this:

I asked them if any were for sale and they said it was too small a shipment so they are saving it for a Sour Fest. Bastards. My shops are lucky to get one 6-pack. I know more and more places are just hoarding them for special nights now, and that’s fine, just a little annoying.
Back at Horse Brass I finally got to try a couple beers I was on the lookout for: A Deschuttes/HopWorks colab for Portalnd beer week India Red Lager and Walking Man IPA. The IRL was pretty good. The Walking Man was disappointing because I had heard so much about them. Too malty for me. GF met up for the last 10mins or so. Germany trounced Holland and a good time was had by all.
Next the GF really wanted to see the McMenamin’s Kennedy School House so we cabbed it up there. It was a pretty cool thing to see, but probably not worth the cab fare. Beer was average. Water fountains were short.

Back at the hotel and time to pack up. Realized I the suitcase was pretty tight, so we needed o take down one of our Eric’s Ales. It was delicious. 

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »

Next the GF really wanted to see the McMenamin’s Kennedy School House so we cabbed it up there. It was a pretty cool thing to see, but probably not worth the cab fare. Beer was average. Water fountains were short.

To bad you didn't realize that Concordia Ale house is almost directly across the street from Kennedy school, and is probably the best beer bar in Portland that stays open REALLY late... one of my favorite places.

Offline Sebowski

• Quadrupel
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 05:21:19 AM »

To bad you didn't realize that Concordia Ale house is almost directly across the street from Kennedy school, and is probably the best beer bar in Portland that stays open REALLY late... one of my favorite places.

Too bad indeed.  :sadbanana:

Offline d0ggnate

• Pilsner
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »
Hope this isn't too late to do you any good.

Not at all. Just logged into the free wifi aboard Amtrak Cascade on my way to Portland from Seattle. Can't wait to check some of those places out. Gonna visit Cascade, but will miss the Tuesday tap, as my flight leaves Tuesday afternoon.

Offline d0ggnate

• Pilsner
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
Had a great time, but it was a really short trip. Was able to get to:

Cascade Brewing Barrel House
Deschutes Brewpub
Rogue Public House
Bailey's Taproom

Wanted to do more, but time ran out. Looking forward to the rest on the next trip.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
Nice trip report! :thumbup:

If anyone is near Oakshire anytime soon, let me know :coffee:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Nice trip report! :thumbup:

If anyone is near Oakshire anytime soon, let me know :coffee:
Probably be there again in early December

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2012, 12:25:51 AM »
Heading out for the annual Holiday Ale Fest trip, will be in Portland Nov 23-Nov 30, then will head south all the way to San Diego during the following week or so...

Probably hit Bend for a day and Eugene for part of a day.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
Heading out for the annual Holiday Ale Fest trip, will be in Portland Nov 23-Nov 30, then will head south all the way to San Diego during the following week or so...

Portland > San Diego... stopping anywhere in between?

I had asked earlier about Oakshire since they had released a Framboise at the brewery, but its likely long gone...luckily it looks like they're attending Fobab this weekend though :excited:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »

I had asked earlier about Oakshire since they had released a Framboise at the brewery, but its likely long gone...luckily it looks like they're attending Fobab this weekend though :excited:
There are always a lot of surprises as far as releases go this time of year, and as for Framboise, Laurelwood has released one this time of year the past 2 years, some of the folks here have had a bottle I haven't tried it yet.  Good chance I might still see some of the scarcer van Wyck creations, such as that one sour that I brought to bunsfest.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

There are always a lot of surprises as far as releases go this time of year, and as for Framboise, Laurelwood has released one this time of year the past 2 years, some of the folks here have had a bottle I haven't tried it yet.  Good chance I might still see some of the scarcer van Wyck creations, such as that one sour that I brought to bunsfest.
Skookumchuck was awesome :thumbup:
Hoping that Oakshire's Framboise was possibly a re-creation of De Wilde Zuidentrein from the Flossmoor days... that was legendary. The new Framboise got some good reviews recently.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2012, 11:23:52 PM »

Skookumchuck was awesome :thumbup:
Hoping that Oakshire's Framboise was possibly a re-creation of De Wilde Zuidentrein from the Flossmoor days... that was legendary. The new Framboise got some good reviews recently.
So I did find bottles of Oakshire Framboise, as well as a limited release barleywine "Anniversary Ale" Matt did.  Bought 2 bottles of each.  I will either bring one of each to TTfest, or send them to someone else to take if it turns out I can't make it.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
 :excited:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2012, 06:10:32 AM »

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

Offline EskimoDave

• IPA
  • since Pamela's double Ds.
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »
I leave for Portland tomorrow

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:24 AM »
I leave for Portland tomorrow

How long you going to be there?

Offline EskimoDave

• IPA
  • since Pamela's double Ds.
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2013, 12:16:45 AM »
Thurs to Sunday

Online Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
I'll be in Portland next week.  I'll read through the rest of this thread to make sure I get my hit list straight, but there damn sure will be extra time for me to go beering.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »
Are you going to try to see if Duckboy is still alive?

Online Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
Are you going to try to see if Duckboy is still alive?

I sent him a PM. No reply.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2014, 10:45:23 AM »
Any updates on places I need to go?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2014, 05:59:52 PM »
Any updates on places I need to go?

Duckboy's house?

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2014, 11:32:52 AM »
Commons Brewery and Upright Brewing are both pretty solid and have tasting rooms.

http://www.commonsbrewery.com/tasting-room/
http://www.uprightbrewing.com/tasting-room.html

When are you going? :popcorn:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
Over Halloween weekend.  Commons is on my list and Upright will be if there is time.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »
Anyone have suggestions on good restaurants?

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:33 PM »
Anyone have suggestions on good restaurants?
There was a new place called Ecliptic brewing last time we were there... really fancy schmancy... food and beer

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »
Of course De Garde is having a bottle release and I'm not going to be able to make it.  <_<  oh well, lots of drankin to be done anyhoo.

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »
Of course De Garde is having a bottle release and I'm not going to be able to make it.  <_<  oh well, lots of drankin to be done anyhoo.

Pretty soon I might be able to be a source for your Oregon beer hankerings....
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
O RLY?

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »
Will be here tomorrow through Sunday.   What are the must haves and must hits???

TIA
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2016, 12:23:45 PM »
Just booked our flights last night.  Fly into Portland June 15.  Fly out of Seattle June 25th.  Not a beer trip, but hope to squeeze some beer stuff in.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »
Will be here tomorrow through Sunday.   What are the must haves and must hits???

TIA

I've been planning the fuck out of a trip.  Will be there April 20-27. 

Here's a map I've been putting together. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zwsB7TJWMf6o.krvPSd3C7XEQ&usp=sharing

Main beer attractions for me are: The Commons, Hair of the Dog, Cascade, Upright, Rev Nat's Cider, Breakside, Beermongers, Apex, Belmont Station, Horse Brass, Bailey's Taproom

Main food attractions: Pine State Biscuits, Pok Pok, Apizza Scholls, Blue Star Donuts, Toro Bravo, Lardo, Tasty N Sons, Food trucks/carts galore.

Dan

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
Last time I was there I made it to Commons, Cascade, Upright, Beermongers, and Deschutes.  The wife was sick, so we didn't spend much time anywhere other than Cascade.  Upright was a cool, hole in the wall, impossible to find place.  Commons is definitely worth a stop.

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
thanks dudes....you guys are great.
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
HAVE A GREAT TRIP