search

Author Topic: San Diego 3/11 - 3/15  (Read 1161 times)

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
San Diego 3/11 - 3/15
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
Gonna be in town from the 11th to the 15th.  Anyone wanna grab a few beers?  :pickle:  I'm not sure when I get in or leave but should know pretty soon..

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
Re: San Diego 3/11 - 3/15
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:24:03 PM »
Alright, I'll be in town around noon on Thursday the 11th and will be leaving early on the 15th.  I'll be pretty much free the entire time, but I'm splitting a rental car so I might not have it during dinner some of the nights.  I'd love to get some kind of tasting going.  I sent Geoi a message and I'm waiting to hear from Wetherel from RB/BA.  I'd really like to bring a big box of goodies out for a big tasting :)  I'll definitely be hitting up a bunch of the bars/breweries while I'm there, too.  Gonna try to do some research tonight so I'll update where I'm planning on hitting and hopefully can get some input on the SD secrets you guys might know :)   :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:12:46 PM by pwoods »

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:07:50 PM »
oof, i might be in SF hanging with TT. If i don't end up going we'll for sure hang.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »
oof, i might be in SF hanging with TT. If i don't end up going we'll for sure hang.
I SEE! YOU CHOOSE HIM OVER ME!?!?!?!?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!  :P  Nah, just kidding.  Hope to see you there, though.  If you're in SF, should I have that box for the tasting shipped elsewhere?

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
I SEE! YOU CHOOSE HIM OVER ME!?!?!?!?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!  :P  Nah, just kidding.  Hope to see you there, though.  If you're in SF, should I have that box for the tasting shipped elsewhere?
No, I'll just tell my Grandfather and cousin to accept the package and to expect you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:50:56 PM by KingG »
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:24:28 AM »
I SEE! YOU CHOOSE HIM OVER ME!?!?!?!?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!  :P  Nah, just kidding.  Hope to see you there, though.  If you're in SF, should I have that box for the tasting shipped elsewhere?
No, I'll just tell my Grandfather and cousin to accept the package and to expect you.
And tell them I get free reign over the entire store's stock?  Prescription and otherwise?  :pickle:

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »
And tell them I get free reign over the entire store's stock?  Prescription and otherwise?  :pickle:

Dilaudid FTW!!!

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »

1,000 xanex, plz.
“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »
Here's a copy/paste from the posts I made on the other 2 sites.  Just looking for some advice on where I should be going :)

---------------------------------------------------
Any help, advice, tips, etc. are greatly appreciated. And sorry for the long post.

I'll be in SD on Thursday March 11th(around noon) and will be leaving early Monday morning(15th). I'll be staying in the Paradise Point Resort in Mission Bay and will be free and have access to a rental car for nearly the entire weekend. I've talked with my buddy Wetherel about getting a tasting together and he said he was gonna set something up at the PP bottleshop(Carlsbad I'd assume) but I'm not sure when yet. And I'd definitely be game to grab a pint with anyone that might be out and about throughout the weekend.

---
There are definitely a few places that I HAVE to hit and I've found a few more that definitely look interesting. What I'd like to know is if there are other places that I definitely have to hit or if there are ones on my list that could easily be skipped. Places with limited release stuff is always a plus(like Angel's Share or the like), as well as places that have RR, RR Blind Pig, and RR -tions on tap. Here's the list of breweries and bars that I'm currently looking to hitting:

(* = Definitely going)
*Lost Abbey(F 4-8, Sa 12-5, Su 12-4)(hoping to get some Veritas on Friday)
*Stone
*Hamilton's
*O'Briens
Churchill's
*Toronado
Blind Lady
*PP Carlsbad
PP Solana
*PB Tap Room(very close to hotel)
Downtown Johnny Brown's
Alesmith(F 3-5, Sa 1-4)
Ballast Point(do they have a tasting room?)
The Vine

---
Beer stores will probably be a little easier to nail down. I'll be stopping by South Bay as I have a box shipping there and I should be able to get a majority of my shopping done there as well. I will not be stopping by Beverages4Less. Any beer stores that might have some older stuff on shelves(bigfoot, old stock, etc.) or some goodies to be found(I take my time routing through shelves, lol) are always a plus. Any place that might possibly have Supplication will be priority #1. Others like AS Grand Cru would be badass as well. Here are the places I was thinking about going:

South Bay
Ashur Liquer(because it's close to SB)
Best Damn Beer Shop
Olive Tree Market
K&B Wine Cellars
Holiday Wine Cellar
Any Bevmo's?

---
Lastly, are there any attractions or foods that I need to try? Beer will take up most of my time and I'll probably eat at the bars/pubs/etc. but I'd love to see/eat anything that is local or different(in Cincinnati I'd obviously recommend the chili and Graeter's Blackraspberry Chip).
---

I don't have a schedule lined up or anything but a rough plan will look something like this:

Thurs:
-unpack
-PB Tap Room for a pint or 2
-South Bay and maybe Ashur Liquer
-up to Holliday Wine Cellar before hitting Stone and Churchill's
-maybe over to the PP's if I'm still sober but probably...
-maybe hit a downtown-ish area bar(Hamilton's, Toronado, Blind Lady) before heading back to the hotel
-taking a cab to PB Tap Room, lol

Friday:
-???
-maybe O'Brien's
-LA for Veritas(I'm not a sinner, will I be able to get any? I heard if they don't sell out right away... so maybe I should go later in the day?)
-Alesmith for the tasting hours(maybe here before LA so I can hang in LA's tasting room and maybe score a bottle?)

Saturday:
-???
-beer stores
-PP Carlsbad and bottle shop. tasting either Friday or Saturday I'd assume.

Sunday:
-More drunkenness

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for any help, TBS!  :cheers: :banned:

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »
Here's a copy/paste from the posts I made on the other 2 sites.  Just looking for some advice on where I should be going :)
You go to hell. You go to hell and die, mmmmmmmmmkay!

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »
You go to hell. You go to hell and die, mmmmmmmmmkay!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline toot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • IPA
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »
A lot of the good beer bars will have similar tap lists.  Unless there is a beer you really want that is unique to one, it might be more worth it to spend more time at one of them instead of traveling all over.  Unless you want to see all of them just for the experience of trying a new place.

Holiday Wine cellar, KnB, and SBD are great, still haven't been to the best damn beer shop.  Olive Tree Market after those three it will be disappointing.  It's a nice little store with good stuff, but nothing compared to the other 3.  If you go to OB anyways you may as well stop in.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:54:50 PM »
Damnit.  I won't be in SD until either the 15th or the 16th.  Looks like I will just miss you.   :thumbdown:
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »
Damnit.  I won't be in SD until either the 15th or the 16th.  Looks like I will just miss you.   :thumbdown:
I leave before noon on the 15th  :cry:

Offline Turboedtwo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Malt Liquor
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »
New here, not new to beer, especially not in SD.  Could be fun to meet up somewhere, depending on work, gf, etc.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
New here, not new to beer, especially not in SD.  Could be fun to meet up somewhere, depending on work, gf, etc.
Welcome. You're more than welcome to party with us.  :cheers:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 05:45:45 PM »
I plan on hitting South Bay on Thursday or Friday, depending.  I shipped a Cantillon(and maybe others for a tasting with Wetherel) today so they'll be ready by next week.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
I plan on hitting South Bay on Thursday or Friday, depending.  I shipped a Cantillon(and maybe others for a tasting with Wetherel) today so they'll be ready by next week.

Let me know.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Turboedtwo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Malt Liquor
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 07:20:18 PM »

Nice.  I love sours, can't get enough of them.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
Will be hitting up South Bay on the 16th or 17th.  I am just missing the boat on this weekend, and coming in a little late.  Gonna be reppin' the Dirty Dirty in San Diego the following week. 
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 01:50:46 AM »
Will be hitting up South Bay on the 16th or 17th.  I am just missing the boat on this weekend, and coming in a little late.  Gonna be reppin' the Dirty Dirty in San Diego the following week. 
Right on, hit me up.  :cheers:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »
I'm supposed to be attending a tasting with Wetherel and a few other SD people but he hasn't gotten back to me if it's gonna happen or not.  I already shipped 2 boxes of beer to South Bay so if the tasting is off, we'll have a few extra brews to dive into  :pickle:  There are some real goodies in them, too  :banned: :cheers:

The boxes should land on Thursday.

Offline seaoflament

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »
I'm supposed to be attending a tasting with Wetherel and a few other SD people but he hasn't gotten back to me if it's gonna happen or not.  I already shipped 2 boxes of beer to South Bay so if the tasting is off, we'll have a few extra brews to dive into  :pickle:  There are some real goodies in them, too  :banned: :cheers:

I actually ran into Wetherel on Saturday and he did mention the tasting but still had not finished with the specifics...seems he is also waiting on some people to get back to him on the tasting.  :shrug:

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »

I actually ran into Wetherel on Saturday and he did mention the tasting but still had not finished with the specifics...seems he is also waiting on some people to get back to him on the tasting.  :shrug:
I think he was looking for a place to host it.  Originally he mentioned having it at the PP bottle shop but then said he was gonna try to find someone to have it at their house.  We should just have it at your house  :P

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »
P-Dub> Did i give you my cell number?
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »
Hmm.... I believe you did on BA but it seems to have been autodeleted.  Shoot it over again, mines 513-257-8514.  Man, I'm excited  :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »
Hmm.... I believe you did on BA but it seems to have been autodeleted.  Shoot it over again, mines 513-257-8514.  Man, I'm excited  :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Don't give p-dub anything real spicy after he's had a few, or he will just go to sleep. :nutkick:
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 12:59:15 AM »

Don't give p-dub anything real spicy after he's had a few, or he will just go to sleep. :nutkick:
That pizza.... was fucking nuts.  I ate the rest when I woke back up in the hotel room  :bird: :rock:

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 01:04:11 AM »
Text sent...
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
San Diego will never be the same.  :no:

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
And now they have me for another day :)  Flight got cancelled for some reason.  Looks like we'll be staying another night and leave at 10am tomorrow  :pickle:

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »
And now they have me for another day :)  Flight got cancelled for some reason.  Looks like we'll be staying another night and leave at 10am tomorrow  :pickle:
That's good news because I haven't finished clearing out your cellar while you've been gone! :thumbup:

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
That's good news because I haven't finished clearing out your cellar while you've been gone! :thumbup:
Hurry and clear that crap outta there.  I have 3 box totaling 110 or so pounds landing by weeks end :coffee:

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
Hurry and clear that crap outta there.  I have 3 box totaling 110 or so pounds landing by weeks end :coffee:
Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

I'll be off Friday to watch basketball. I'll make sure to swing by your house and intercept those boxes as well.

You know, you should really go out of town more often! :yes:

Offline pwoods

• Double IPA
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »

I'll be off Friday to watch basketball. I'll make sure to swing by your house and intercept those boxes as well.

Whatever you say, old man.  Don't throw your back out with those boxes... they weigh a little more than your standard door!!!  :bird: :rock: :slap: :bike: :nutkick:

Offline Phish

• Barleywine
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »

Whatever you say, old man.  Don't throw your back out with those boxes... they weigh a little more than your standard door!!!  :bird: :rock: :slap: :bike: :nutkick:
:lol: No worries, I'll be plenty drunk.