search

Author Topic: Tenth Annual Big Beers, Belgians and Barleywines Festival Vail, Colorado - Janua  (Read 871 times)

Offline Tolann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilsner
  • Gym rat by day, beer geek by night.
    • Facebook
http://www.bigbeersfestival.com/

Imagine a World Class Winter Wonderland of fun activities in the beautiful Rocky Mountains of Colorado…and then top off your trip with a World Class International Beer Festival, complete with Brewmasters’ Dinners and Seminars by some of the world’s most innovative Brewers…

Too good to be true? Read on!

Join us for the Tenth Annual Big Beers, Belgians and Barleywines Festival Weekend! Come up to Vail to experience the event that beer connoisseurs are raving about. Homebrewers, Professional Brewers and Industry Gurus alike speak highly with regard to the unique format, the unusual international collection of beers, the organization and the overall quality of the event.For those of you who are Big Beers Festival veterans, this Tenth Anniversary celebration promises to be exceptional, with Commemorative Tenth Anniversary brews being tapped for the first Welcome Reception, and a unique food & beer pairing menu at Atwater Tavern on Gore Creek in addition to other goodies.

Thursday evening (7:30) Opening Brewmasters’ Dinner
Friday late morning (8:30 – noon) Cicerone Program
Friday afternoon (12:00) is our Welcome Reception
Friday afternoon (1:30 pm) is the American Homebrewers Association-sanctioned Belgians, Barleywines and Strong Ales Homebrew Competition
Friday afternoon (2:30 pm) Certified Cicerone Exam
Friday evening (8:00) is the Big Beers, Belgians & Barleywines Brewmasters’ Dinner
Saturday morning (10:00 am - noon) Experimental Brewing Seminar, titled “Brewing Outside of the Box: Brewers Gone Wild!”.
Saturday early afternoon (12:30 – 1:30pm) Brewing Seminar by International Featured Brewmaster, Lodewijk Swinkels of LaTrappe/ Bierbrouwerij Koningshoeven
Saturday afternoon (1:30 – 2:30 pm) Brewing Seminar by Colorado Featured Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert of New Belgium Brewing Co.
Saturday afternoon (2:30-7:00) Commercial Tasting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone going up for this? I'd like to go at least for Saturday, but I'm still working out the details of where to stay.  Hopefully, I'll see you there!
~kids are stupid

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
When is it?  I've been there before and thought it was really fun.
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale

Are you allowed to leave the state?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Tolann

• Pilsner
    • Facebook

Coming up quick  January 7-9, 2010.  I think only Saturday tickets are only available now.
~kids are stupid

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
don't think I'll make it this year.  Will definitely look for next year though.

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
I'll be there.  Renting a condo with some KROC friends.  Looks like I better snag a ticket! I'm only doing the actual commercial tasting event - perhaps the Saturday sessions too.  I'm feeling a little guilty because I promised Laura Lodge I'd help promote the event and I haven't done a damn thing.  <lazy>

Offline Oxymoron

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
I'll be there.  Renting a condo with some KROC friends.  Looks like I better snag a ticket! I'm only doing the actual commercial tasting event - perhaps the Saturday sessions too.  I'm feeling a little guilty because I promised Laura Lodge I'd help promote the event and I haven't done a damn thing.  <lazy>

I just dropped off my entries.  I think only one will do well, but should be fun.  Are you judging this one???

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
Nope

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead

I just dropped off my entries.  I think only one will do well, but should be fun.  Are you judging this one???

Nah, I'm not even stewarding.  I am heading up Friday afternoon.  I felt weird taking Friday off after being off for the holidays.

Are you and Emily heading up?  How about the Liquid Poets?

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
Just bought my tix - commercial tasting and seminars... I'm a little surprised at how fast the dinners sell out. This thing is getting popular - and having it in Vail makes them a captive audience! I mean, what else are they going to do! :)

Offline Tolann

• Pilsner
    • Facebook
just bought my Sat tix last night too.  maybe a good thing the other events were already sold out.  Just hope Saturday isn't too crowded.  I haven't been to this fest before.  It better not suck!
~kids are stupid

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
just bought my Sat tix last night too.  maybe a good thing the other events were already sold out.  Just hope Saturday isn't too crowded.  I haven't been to this fest before.  It better not suck!

It does not suck.  Think about it - big beers, belgians and barleywines!  From 2:30 to 7:00pm.  That's a lot of sampling.  It does get crowded towards the end.

Participating Breweries:

Alaskan
Allagash
Altitude
Anchor Brewing
Anheuser-Busch
Avery
BJ's
Bosteels
Boston Beer Co.
Boulder
Boulevard
Breckenridge
Bristol
Bruery
Cambridge
Caracole
Carver
Chouffe
Corsendonk
Delirium
De Ranke
Des Rocs
Deschutes
Dogfish Head
Dry Dock
Dubuisson
Dupont
Duvel
Eisenbahn
Flying Dog
Flying Fish
Glenwood Canyon
Gouden Carolous
Grand Lake
Grand Teton
Great Divide
Green Flash
He’brew/Schmaltz
Hoegaarden
Jolly Pumpkin
Kapuziner
Kasteel
Koningshoeven
Klumbacher
Leffe
Left Hand
Lindemans
Lion
Lost Abbey
Maredsous
Meantime
Mendocino
Moinette
New Belgium
Odell
Ommegang
Orval
Oskar Blues
Pagosa Brewing
Papago
Pinkus
Port Brewing
Pumphouse
Redstone Meadery
Rogue
Russian River
Samichlaus
Samuel Smith
Sierra Nevada
Silverton
Ska
Slaghmuylder
St. Bernardus
St. Feuillien
Steamworks
Stone
Thomas Hardy
Trinidad
Uinta
Urthel
Val-Dieu
Victory
Westmalle
Wynkoop

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
This is from Laura...

We have over 70 breweries' beers being poured, and over 50 being represented in person...most by the Brewmasters/Owners themselves! There will be 21 brews released in honor of our Tenth Anniversary, most created specifically for our event!

Between Chef Adam Votaw, Peter Bouckaert (New Belgium), Lodewijk Swinkels (LaTrappe/Koningshoeven), Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head) and Adam Avery (Avery) we will have two absolutely amazing Brewmasters' Dinners....and you'll be able to enjoy some of the commemorative beers on draft with special food pairings in the Atwater Tavern on Gore Creek.

Seminars will be presented by Ray Daniels, Julia Herz, David Edgar, Peter Bouckaert and Lodewijk & Gijs Swinkels, and their panelists include John Mallett (Bell's), Kevin DeLange (Dry Dock), Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head), Steven Pauwels (Boulevard), Ron Kloth (Papago), Rob Tod (Allagash), & Nick Ison (Sierra Nevada).

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
bump

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Bristol Brewing Company is offering a rare chance to taste our Skull 'n Bones Flanders Red and Skull 'n Bones Aged Sour Wheat at the Big Beers, Belgians and Barleywine Festival in Vail tomorrow. It's a great time. Check it out!

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
How'd it go this year?

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
How'd it go this year?

Awesome!  I'm always amazed at how many brewers actually come to this thing and hang out.  I got ditched by my condo mates though... they ended up going to the after party.  I was really okay with that - got a pizza and watched a movie, then I was in good shape for skiing the next day.  Vail is an awesome mountain.