search

Author Topic: Ongoing Chicago Meetup Thread for the locals  (Read 72127 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Ongoing Chicago Meetup Thread for the locals
« Reply #2850 on: March 16, 2021, 04:46:26 PM »
https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/09/22/brewery-co-working-space-for-parents-aim-to-open-in-old-armitage-theatre-building-next-year/
Re: Odious Cellars

I picked up their first beers and tried a crowler of a Brett IPA that was very good. The BA fruited sour ales were pricey at $18/375mL before tax/tip. Interested to see how this place takes shape.

Hopefully this guy will get a better idea of the landscape, and recognize that several other local breweries make BA wild/sour beers.  Off Color, Dovetail, Half Acre, Whiner, Goose Island, etc. To say that you're "bringing this style to Chicago" comes across as a bit uninformed, maybe a misquote though.

He did retweet this: :lol:

Re: Odious Cellars
Fast forward to today, had a really good wild saison from them recently, "The Secret History of All Things". Brett-fermented petite saison blended with 12-month mixed culture, dry hopped with Crystal & Saaz.

Re: Whiner
Had no idea they had a coolship. Can't say i've seen any spon beers from them. Here's a pic:

More info: https://oct.co/essays/coolship-101

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Offline chi_dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #2852 on: April 29, 2021, 10:40:18 PM »
Sounds like we're heading back to visit friends and celebrate my bday the first week of June. What's new in the city? I'd love to hit up Dovetail and, if it's as good as you guys say, buy a metric ton to bring back to Columbus. What else is new in the last few years that is worth hitting up?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2853 on: April 29, 2021, 10:48:03 PM »
Sounds like we're heading back to visit friends and celebrate my bday the first week of June. What's new in the city? I'd love to hit up Dovetail and, if it's as good as you guys say, buy a metric ton to bring back to Columbus. What else is new in the last few years that is worth hitting up?

Cool :hack: How new are we talking?

Metro's patio is real nice, a good 1-2 with Beer Temple. In terms of opening in the last year or two, there's Ørkenoy, Duneyrr, Pilot Project, Crushed By Giants. I've had good beer from all of them, but haven't been to every physical space yet. Would love to meet up at Dovetail for a couple two-tree.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #2854 on: April 30, 2021, 11:00:56 PM »

Metro's patio is real nice, a good 1-2 with Beer Temple. In terms of opening in the last year or two, there's Ørkenoy, Duneyrr, Pilot Project, Crushed By Giants. I've had good beer from all of them, but haven't been to every physical space yet. Would love to meet up at Dovetail for a couple two-tree.

Good stuff  :thumbup:

Off to do some research on these places. Really we moved in 2012 and have only been back a few times, so lots of new spots to visit. Metro's new place is definitely on the list if possible.

Any new bbq spots worth hitting up?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2855 on: May 01, 2021, 12:23:36 AM »

Off to do some research on these places. Really we moved in 2012 and have only been back a few times, so lots of new spots to visit. Metro's new place is definitely on the list if possible.

Newer BBQ that comes to mind, Green Street is really good but pricey, Flat & Point looks good, Earl’s/Ella’s brisket is top notch. Krazy Hog has good tips, but it’s a delivery only ghost kitchen place at the moment. Wish I had more intel.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2856 on: May 18, 2021, 02:51:10 PM »
Forbidden Root to move into former Band of Bohemia space...

Forbidden Root opening second Chicago location in a place familiar to many beer drinkers — the former Band of Bohemia

Josh Noel
Chicago Tribune | May 17, 2021 at 4:04 PM

The airy space that housed Michelin-starred brewpub Band of Bohemia became one of Chicago’s most eclectic places to experience food and beer before that restaurant filed for bankruptcy and went out of business last year.

This summer, that building and the brewery within will hum once more, as a second Chicago location for Forbidden Root.

Cultivate by Forbidden Root will open in August in the building at 4710 N. Ravenswood Ave. An adjacent taproom will open about a month after that, Forbidden Root owner Robert Finkel said Friday.

Finkel, a retired venture capitalist who launched Forbidden Root’s original West Town location in 2016, said he has long looked at expanding in Chicago, and Band of Bohemia’s former home offered an ideal opportunity. Finkel bought the contents of the building — including Band of Bohemia’s 10-barrel brewhouse — at a bank auction in March and negotiated a lease with the landlord soon after.

Finkel said he had previously taken a run at the former Baderbrau production brewery that is now home to Moody Tongue Brewing.

“We put growth plans on hold as the pandemic became clear, but opportunities come up, and this one did — it’s a beautiful space and a great location,” he said. “For us to open a place at this point in time, it had to check a lot of boxes: location, physical space, demographics of the area, and our ability as artists to feel like we could bring something different to the party.”

Cultivate by Forbidden Root will open in the former home of Band of Bohemia, a Michelin-starred restaurant and brewery at 4710 N. Ravenswood Ave.

Cultivate by Forbidden Root won’t aim for the sophistication that won Band of Bohemia one Michelin star every year from 2016 until 2019, and which became the world’s first Michelin-starred brewpub.

Finkel said Cultivate by Forbidden Root will offer “elevated” pub food, including ample vegetarian dishes, while remaining “approachable.” Dishes he expects to migrate from Forbidden Root’s location at 1746 W. Chicago Ave. include a milk-brined pork schnitzel sandwich featuring pickled-beet mayonnaise and caraway coleslaw, and a hamburger with giardiniera mayonnaise and aged cheddar.

“We’re looking to get people an approachable experience that’s a little different,” he said. “Craft beer is an exercise in unpretentiousness. The food needs to be cool and different, but accessible.”

Nodding to Band of Bohemia’s high-end tendencies, Finkel called Cultivate by Forbidden Root “a no-foam zone.”

“We love being a destination because we do interesting, cool things, that’s also a neighborhood place where people can feel comfortable,” he said.

He said he hasn’t yet hired a chef for the forthcoming location.

A new draft system will be installed featuring 16 lines, about half of which will serve beer made on site by Forbidden Root head brewer Nick Williams. The rest will be made at Forbidden Root’s Chicago Avenue location (also manned by Williams) and the Forbidden Root that opened in Columbus, Ohio, in 2019. The beer made at the Ravenswood location will be available only there, Finkel said.

(Abel Uribe / Chicago Tribune)
While the West Town brewery makes multiple beers with botanical ingredients and emphasizes its hazy pale ales and IPAs — it was one of the first Chicago breweries to experiment with hazy, hop-forward beers — the Ravenswood location will focus on beers showcasing yeast. It will install foeders for aging mixed fermentation beers and have what Finkel described as an ambitious and varied barrel-aging program including beers aged in bourbon, wine, bitters, maple syrup, sherry, port and Madeira barrels.

“We’re going to offer a depth of experience,” he said. “We try to do that on Chicago Avenue, and it will be the same in Ravenswood.”

A space behind the dining room that Band of Bohemia used for private events — and which it tried to convert to a taproom via a failed Kickstarter effort — will be a taproom for Forbidden Root serving beer and snacks.

“If you just want a beer, you’re welcome to come into either space, but the taproom will be down and dirty and more casual,” Finkel said.

He has retained Jordan Mozer to design an interior that will be different from Forbidden Root’s West Town location, but with a similar ethos Finkel described as “farmhouse meets apothecary.”

“You’ll walk in and know it’s Forbidden Root,” he said.

As business grows at his two current locations each week, Finkel said he is encouraged about opening at this point in the pandemic. However, he said, safety measures will continue to be prioritized.

“We’ll be distancing even when distancing isn’t required,” he said.

“Responsible operators will not optimize profit” as society emerges from the pandemic, he said. “It’s a tall order not to after this pandemic, but you’ve got to be responsible.”
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:01:21 AM by emerge »

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #2857 on: May 18, 2021, 11:52:44 PM »
I always really liked the food at the Chicago ave FR and thought the beer was unique and mostly good, esp the cocktail inspired ones.  I had no idea they were in OH.  Hope they don't get spread too thin.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2858 on: May 19, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »
I always really liked the food at the Chicago ave FR and thought the beer was unique and mostly good, esp the cocktail inspired ones.  I had no idea they were in OH.  Hope they don't get spread too thin.

Yeah, I liked them too, then they jumped on the hazy train fairly early on. Last time I stopped there it was all haze pretty much. I like the quote about using the new brewery for mixed fermentation and barrel-aging.

“...the Ravenswood location will focus on beers showcasing yeast. It will install foeders for aging mixed fermentation beers and have what Finkel described as an ambitious and varied barrel-aging program including beers aged in bourbon, wine, bitters, maple syrup, sherry, port and Madeira barrels.”

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #2859 on: May 19, 2021, 11:13:16 PM »
The location here in Columbus is just 10 min away but it opened and then COVID hit. I'm hoping to stop in soon because I've heard really good things.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2860 on: May 20, 2021, 08:32:19 AM »
The location here in Columbus is just 10 min away but it opened and then COVID hit. I'm hoping to stop in soon because I've heard really good things.

Cool :thumbup:
The timing has been rough for a number of places opening in the last year or so. Can’t imagine working to open for years, then get shutdown due to the pandemic. I guess some breweries can shift to packaging and carryout sales, but it’s been hard to survive.

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #2861 on: May 20, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
The place on Chicago Ave. was only three blocks from my condo. They opened six months before I moved out to PDX and bummed I never got a chance to check them out.
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2862 on: May 26, 2021, 05:30:34 PM »

Chi_Dave>hey

https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-magazine/june-july-2021/meet-the-new-pitmasters-on-chicagos-barbecue-scene/

Haven't heard of any of these, but now I want to try them all... :drool:

edit: Soul & Smoke i've had, but the others are all new.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:39:45 PM by emerge »

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #2863 on: May 26, 2021, 11:33:07 PM »

Chi_Dave>hey

https://www.chicagomag.com/chicago-magazine/june-july-2021/meet-the-new-pitmasters-on-chicagos-barbecue-scene/

NICE. I wonder how much bbq I could convince my wife to eat in a long weekend?

I think we're going to do a nice steakhouse for my bday. A few of our friends recommended Bavette's for something more modern.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2864 on: May 27, 2021, 09:47:03 AM »

Chi_Dave>hey

I think we're going to do a nice steakhouse for my bday. A few of our friends recommended Bavette's for something more modern.

That's a good rec, heard it was great. I've been trying to get there for lunch for years now, but haven't had enough time. :(

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #2865 on: May 27, 2021, 12:12:28 PM »
10 years ago today....

i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2866 on: June 01, 2021, 09:54:34 AM »

Chi_Dave>hey

So have you narrowed down your BBQ list for the trip? :popcorn:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2867 on: June 02, 2021, 11:35:57 AM »
https://twitter.com/chicagobars/status/1398717191143440390

Sad to see this, but seems it was a cursed location. Northdown is one i'll miss forever. :sadbanana:

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #2868 on: June 03, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »

Chi_Dave>hey

Our schedule filled up real quick. I think we're going to end up just hitting Smoque. We did have patio beers at Metropolitan last night, which was perfect.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2869 on: June 03, 2021, 02:04:52 PM »

Chi_Dave>hey

Our schedule filled up real quick. I think we're going to end up just hitting Smoque. We did have patio beers at Metropolitan last night, which was perfect.

Nice! I was thinking of going there soon myself. Super nice patio :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2870 on: August 19, 2021, 04:57:15 PM »
A nice reference, though the illustrator kinda bit Ryan Duggan's steez.

https://chicagoreader.com/food-drink/the-iconic-chicago-restaurants-map/

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #2871 on: November 02, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »
Tentatively planning a pre-Xmas trip to Chicago again this year, assuming the kid can be fully vaxxed by then.

What's the situation like there now with COVID, masks, bars/restaurants, etc?  Everything "back to normal" or are there still any restrictions in place?

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #2872 on: November 02, 2021, 12:50:14 PM »
As of today, there is still a mask mandate for Cook County.  I'd say 90% of people I see in stores are still wearing them.  Don't think there's any other real restrictions in place besides the mask.  It's up to bars/restaurants if they want to require vaccines for entry. 
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2873 on: November 02, 2021, 12:53:44 PM »
Tentatively planning a pre-Xmas trip to Chicago again this year, assuming the kid can be fully vaxxed by then.

What's the situation like there now with COVID, masks, bars/restaurants, etc?  Everything "back to normal" or are there still any restrictions in place?

There's tentative plans to lift the indoor mask mandate after Thanksgiving, but nothing announced yet. Half Acre requires a vax card to sit indoors, there's a heated outdoor patio too. This policy seems to be the exception so far.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #2874 on: November 02, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »
Thanks.  I wouldn't even have thought about bring the vax cards, but I suppose we should.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2875 on: November 02, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »
They accept a photo on your phone too, if you want to keep the cards at home.

Here's a good info source about cases and current numbers:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/cook-illinois-covid-cases.html

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2876 on: November 15, 2021, 12:08:04 PM »
GDB breaks the news via Politico that Vice District is re-opening at a new address. Looks like there's a cocktail/coffee bar at that address that has current promos on social media. If this is happening, it hasn't been announced by either business yet.

https://twitter.com/guysdrinkinbeer/status/1458800464951226375
https://twitter.com/guysdrinkinbeer/status/1458851173104963585

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #2877 on: December 03, 2021, 09:56:43 AM »
Officially cancelled our hotel reservation for mid-December.   :thumbdown: 

Fuck you, coronavirus!   >:(

Just booked our hotel for Dec 10-12, 2021 ... fingers crossed  :cheers:

:goodposting: :blackdot:

Decided to cancel again this year.  We're all vaxxed up now, but I still just can't get my head into hanging out in crowded places right now. 

COVID - 2, Bison - 0

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2878 on: December 03, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
Officially cancelled our hotel reservation for mid-December.   :thumbdown: 

Fuck you, coronavirus!   >:(

Just booked our hotel for Dec 10-12, 2021 ... fingers crossed  :cheers:

:goodposting: :blackdot:

Decided to cancel again this year.  We're all vaxxed up now, but I still just can't get my head into hanging out in crowded places right now. 

COVID - 2, Bison - 0
Damn. :(
We have just been playing it by ear, avoiding crowded places at peak times for a long while. Probably harder to do downtown if you want to do museums and stuff. Some are doing visits by reservation to limit crowds.