Beer Discussion > Beer Talk

Getting Past the Shtick, Get to Know Some Active Members Here

(1/44) > >>

Tip Top:
I know that this isn't beer related, but I thought that this would be the best place to put this thread for new/newer members that are having a hard time getting used to it here.  What I would like to see is people posting a brief synopsis of some particular members, focusing on the people that have been here the longest and the people that are the most active.  It might help new members to understand some of the inside jokes that fly around here all the time.

I'll start...

mr. furley - (aka Matt, Mark, Mort, etc)  Formerly thefatkid13 at another site. Self proclaimed important part of the internet.  Legendary low tolerance for beer.  Loves his hoppy beers aged and stale.  Generally unhappy with his job and goes into some great rants.  Has an insane MIL.  Has a hole in the side of his house.  Unable to park his Impala in a normal parking spot.  Loves Green Bay, and that should say a lot.  The word furley has also morphed into a verb, meaning to mess something up or to drain pour a beer.  Please see the pinned furley rant thread in Everything Else.

There is much more that could be added about furley, so go ahead people.  

--- Quote from: Kathleen on November 19, 2009, 02:20:52 PM ---Urbanhack: works for a golf company.  Looks younger than he is.  Lives in Chicago, but Mrs. Hack has been living in NYC for a couple of years for work/school -- so he spends about half his time there with her.  Famous for preferring coconut water for hangover relief, grilling on his Chicago deck, recommending good golf deals if you need one, not owning a car, and not wanting kids.  The last two are often expressed as "nocar.com" and "nokids.com", a bit of schtick that has only recently bepenis to be extended to any types of facts that are obscure.  Kinda.

I'll edit as requested.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Kathleen on November 19, 2009, 02:34:59 PM ---flyingbison: Not a native Green Bay-er, he hails from the same area of New York where Bakes (who's also bald and who looks oddly LIKE bison) lives.  As he's in his 40s, he's one of the older members of TBS; his occasional curmudgeonly ways are not (necessarily?) related.  Big advocate of not marrying, thus the "nomarriage.com"-type schtick.  Lives with Ms. Bison, a socially-challenged dog named Griffin, and two cats.  Just bought his first home, but has moved many times over the years.  Travels to Madison occasionally for work (dislikes his job) and Ms. Bison used to live in Madison, so he knows this area pretty well.  Good cook.  

I'll edit as requested.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: flyingbison on November 19, 2009, 02:41:48 PM ---Kathleen (aka Kathy, Kath, Tinkerbell, Granny, and Princess Poopsalot) was born in 1870, and then cryogenically frozen at age 25.  She was thawed out a few years ago to film a sitcom pilot about an old woman from the 19th century living in modern times.  The project was quickly abandoned after the first season of "The Simple Life" aired, and Kathy was released into the wilds of Northern Illinois.  It was there she discovered her love of good food and beer, before migrating to Madison.

She and her sweetie Matt/Mitch (aka "Mark" on TBS) hope to build a cabin in the woods one day, cutting down all the trees with their own teeth and stripping the bark with their fingernails.

Turn ons:  NPR, Lawrence Welk, cooking, making her own clothes, farmers markets, public transportation, pork fat, Luddites, and double-ply toilet paper.

Turn offs:  Computers, TV, bad grammar, cats, and Green Bay.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: tangfoot on November 19, 2009, 02:46:40 PM ---Beagle - Hates everyone, but wants you to get to know him better via the PM system.  University of Michigan/Detroit Lions homer, lives within stumbling distance of Bell's Eccentric Cafe.  Has been known to drive upwards of several miles to find good beer.  Has an ongoing trade with Gator that pales in comparison to the ongoing trade between Tip Top and Westskye Threat.
Famous for being the person who may have met the most fellow TBSers in person (unconfirmed).

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: braconid on November 21, 2009, 11:20:40 AM ---thickfreakness - Where to begin with this one.  Chaz, Chip, Chuck or whatever the hell his name is serves as the inspiration for the legend of Paul Bunyan, yet he just recently emerged from the pimply grip of puberty.  In fact, it was just recently that someone younger than him became a member of TBS (he is the anti-bakes).  He is nearly done with his college education at a small and inconsequential university in Texas and I hope he is ready to see that the real world is less fun than he anticipated it would be.  His laughter is also legendary, with the ability to travel over land for miles at a stretch.  Last spring he made an epic journey from Texas to the Midwest where he stayed with and drank with a large number of TBSers along the way.  His great personality is the only thing that may be bigger than he is.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: urbanhack on November 21, 2009, 12:14:22 PM ---Fro - Lives in the Bay Area and works for one of the largest technology/database companies in the world.  Married with one child (I believe).  He just learned to like spicy food.   He's a big outdoor activity guy...snowboarding, etc. and likes to go to Colorado.  He is witty with the microphone and can beat box extremely well.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Kegergator on November 23, 2009, 01:02:58 PM ---Westside Threat- aka Justin, but he'll go on a long winded diatribe about how his father changed his name to Skye. By the time he's done you'll be more confused than furley staring an a freshly opened growler. He works in the digital effects/animation field for a large movie production company in L.A.

Has out punted his coverage by hooking up with The Blond Bombshell,who also happens to enjoy fine craft brews.

He is famous at work for being the Don King of "I dare you", and once lost a bet to a guy who drank a gallon of milk in an hour without puking. 

His idea for a more organized trade forum spawned the "Child Forum" for the BIFs, and he's proud of it. Tip Top and West Side have the longest ongoing trade known to the intranets.

Dislikes: tin foil, non-HD anything, raw onions and sour stouts

Likes: A nice big Red with his steak.....Big hoppy beers, ####ing with rude people on elevators, anime, his pet Praying Mantis

--- End quote ---

Some others that I think need to be featured here...
Jaysus
Fro
Westside Threat
Beer Monkey
bakes
Fuller
beagle
tangfoot
urbanhack
Polsonov
Surly Duff
Gator
J-Rod
braconid
JJ
flyingbison
Kathleen
thickfreakness

coldchill:

--- Quote from: Tip Top on November 19, 2009, 01:50:58 PM ---Fuller
braconid

--- End quote ---

<_<  Please, these guys aren't even the coolest TBS'ers in Tennessee.   ;)

Kathleen:
Urbanhack: works for a golf company.  Looks younger than he is.  Lives in Chicago, but Mrs. Hack has been living in NYC for a couple of years for work/school -- so he spends about half his time there with her.  Famous for preferring coconut water for hangover relief, grilling on his Chicago deck, recommending good golf deals if you need one, not owning a car, and not wanting kids.  The last two are often expressed as "nocar.com" and "nokids.com", a bit of schtick that has only recently begun to be extended to any types of facts that are obscure.  Kinda.

I'll edit as requested.

Tip Top:

--- Quote from: coldchill on November 19, 2009, 02:18:23 PM ---
braconid

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You aren't famous for wearing no pants or being the shortest TBSer though, are you?

coldchill:

--- Quote from: Tip Top on November 19, 2009, 02:22:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: coldchill on November 19, 2009, 02:18:23 PM ---
braconid

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You aren't famous for wearing no pants or being the shortest TBSer though, are you?

--- End quote ---

;D  No, I'm not famous for anything, and I like it that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version