search

Author Topic: Schell's  (Read 3570 times)

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
Re: Schell's
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2020, 09:15:17 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mankatofreepress.com/news/schells-looking-to-buy-vacant-new-ulm-target-building/article_507924f6-7b4f-11ea-a5d6-7f309c3dfb1f.amp.html

The Starkeller is such a cool place. When you’re inside, you forget you’re in a pole shed. This new place would be huge.

Always wanted to go there. Maybe with more capacity they’ll send Star of the North to WI again someday...

i'm almost positive i saw this at Gardina's in Oshkosh yesterday. they had 4 different large format bottles, maybe 5.  don't recall the names :bag:
Did they look new or under a layer of dust? I picked some up outside of MKE last year, but they were a few years old. Star of the North is one of the best examples of US Berliner Weisse imho. Haven’t seen it in a few years though. :(

they looked new.  they always have random shit in there that i don't see anywhere else. i'm not there often (maybe a couple times per year), but they always seem to have a surprising variety of new items on the shelf.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mankatofreepress.com/news/schells-looking-to-buy-vacant-new-ulm-target-building/article_507924f6-7b4f-11ea-a5d6-7f309c3dfb1f.amp.html

The Starkeller is such a cool place. When you’re inside, you forget you’re in a pole shed. This new place would be huge.

Always wanted to go there. Maybe with more capacity they’ll send Star of the North to WI again someday...

i'm almost positive i saw this at Gardina's in Oshkosh yesterday. they had 4 different large format bottles, maybe 5.  don't recall the names :bag:
Did they look new or under a layer of dust? I picked some up outside of MKE last year, but they were a few years old. Star of the North is one of the best examples of US Berliner Weisse imho. Haven’t seen it in a few years though. :(

they looked new.  they always have random shit in there that i don't see anywhere else. i'm not there often (maybe a couple times per year), but they always seem to have a surprising variety of new items on the shelf.

That's cool. They used to be all over WI, then disappeared save for a few lingering spots. Discount in MKE had some old ones. I think the price point was a little high for them to move.

I just messed around with the beer finder and nothing came up for them in WI. Only 4 spots in the Twin Cities, which seemed pretty light. Not sure how accurate it is. :shrug:

Offline stoney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2020, 10:20:16 AM »

Discount in MKE had some old ones.

That's the problem with Discount and why I grew to hate that store.

They have two year old Uerige Sticke and Doppel Sticke on the shelves WTF. And they still want $5.00 per bottle or whatever.

Everything sitting out on the shelves, warm and light-struck.

I don't miss Discount.

I miss Woodman's - Oak Creek.
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2020, 03:19:35 PM »

They have two year old Uerige Sticke and Doppel Sticke on the shelves WTF. And they still want $5.00 per bottle or whatever.

I don't miss Discount.

You hate Discount? :mellow:

Sure old beer is frustrating, always have to check dates and avoid the bottles with many generations of spiderwebs. :unsure: I agree they need to clear out the old stock and pare it down some. They do periodically put things on clearance, like $6 Hacienda L'Ete &  L'Hiver 750's. The light coming in the front probably doesn't do that front rack any favors though I agree.

They always have hidden gems though. Luckily the Schells Noble Star stuff is fine with 2-3 years on them. They always have the last 3-4 NG Thumbprint, or used to back in the day. It's entertaining to shop there, because there's always a ton of stuff that's new to me. The pros outweigh the cons, at least for me.

Offline stoney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 03:25:08 PM »

I don't miss Discount.

Sure old beer is frustrating, always have to check dates and avoid the bottles with many generations of spiderwebs. :unsure: I agree they need to clear out the old stock and pare it down some. They do periodically put things on clearance, like $6 Hacienda L'Ete &  L'Hiver 750's. The light coming in the front probably doesn't do that front rack any favors though I agree.

They always have hidden gems though. Luckily the Schells Noble Star stuff is fine with 2-3 years on them. They always have the last 3-4 NG Thumbprint, or used to back in the day. It's entertaining to shop there, because there's always a ton of stuff that's new to me. The pros outweigh the cons, at least for me.

You have yourself a nice time there then. I'm never going to spend another DIME in that store.

Granted, Marie did get me numerous bottles of Westvleteren 8 and 12, and sold them to me at a very reasonable price, but that was decades ago.

I'm "infuriated" by being sold old, dead German beer.

And they KNOW it's old and dead.
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »

I don't miss Discount.

You have yourself a nice time there then. I'm never going to spend another DIME in that store.

Granted, Marie did get me numerous bottles of Westvleteren 8 and 12, and sold them to me at a very reasonable price, but that was decades ago.

I'm "infuriated" by being sold old, dead German beer.

And they KNOW it's old and dead.

Imports are hit or miss age-wise at most beer stores. :shrug:

They have an unwieldly amount of inventory, and probably don't keep track of it. It's on the brewery to date stamp their products. No one is forcing anybody to buy it.

Typically i'll only buy German beer if it I know it just arrived, or is a seasonal during the corresponding season. No date stamp, I rarely if ever take that risk anymore.