search

Author Topic: California  (Read 680 times)

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
California
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:41:55 AM »
Any "must-see" stops (beer or otherwise) between LA and San Francisco?  Yes, I know that is a huge area.

I'll be in LA June 12-14, and then I'll be driving up to SF and flying home from there on the 18th.  Trying to decide if there is anyplace in between I want to spend a day or so, or if I will drive straight through and spend more time in SF.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
Re: California
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:48:23 AM »
Any "must-see" stops (beer or otherwise) between LA and San Francisco?  Yes, I know that is a huge area.

I'll be in LA June 12-14, and then I'll be driving up to SF and flying home from there on the 18th.  Trying to decide if there is anyplace in between I want to spend a day or so, or if I will drive straight through and spend more time in SF.

It's not very beer oriented but a drive up US1 is worth the trip, all by itself.
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
beermapping.com doesn't show a whole lot in between, although you do have Firestone Walker in Paso Robles.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:34:59 PM »
IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :excited: :excited: :excited:

Firestone & paso robles/pismo/morro bay are nice areas, but could be a day trip if you leave LA early enough. The clam chowder at Splash Cafe in Pismo is to DIE for.

Are you out here strictly for pleasure? How's your beer time while you're in LA? Time for Beachwood? Najas? The Bruery?
J> I'm telling you, eat just a little and then rub the flesh
Can't help it....I have man-love for the Cuban Missile.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:42:53 PM »
beermapping.com doesn't show a whole lot in between, although you do have Firestone Walker in Paso Robles.

Good call.  I see they also have a Taproom restaurant in Buellton, which is right off 101, but closer to LA.  So depending on what time I was travelling through, that might be a good option.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »

Firestone & paso robles/pismo/morro bay are nice areas, but could be a day trip if you leave LA early enough. The clam chowder at Splash Cafe in Pismo is to DIE for.

Are you out here strictly for pleasure? How's your beer time while you're in LA? Time for Beachwood? Najas? The Bruery?

The beginning of the trip is tied up with a wedding in LA, but I want to find time to hit Beachwood, The Bruery, and Taps in Brea at least, just not sure when yet.

J-Rod > would Sat lunch or sometime on Sunday be a better time to hit Beachwood?

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »

The beginning of the trip is tied up with a wedding in LA, but I want to find time to hit Beachwood, The Bruery, and Taps in Brea at least, just not sure when yet.

J-Rod > would Sat lunch or sometime on Sunday be a better time to hit Beachwood?

Either/or really. It's weekend nights that usually get out of control. Bruery hours are 4-10 fri/sat, 12-6 sunday (new sunday hours rock).

Tap house, awesome. I've been wanting to give that place another go. The fish there is OUTSTANDING, but the beer was kinda meh. This was a year ago though, and I've heard their casked IPA is pretty damned good.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »

Either/or really. It's weekend nights that usually get out of control. Bruery hours are 4-10 fri/sat, 12-6 sunday (new sunday hours rock).

Tap house, awesome. I've been wanting to give that place another go. The fish there is OUTSTANDING, but the beer was kinda meh. This was a year ago though, and I've heard their casked IPA is pretty damned good.

I had some pretty decent beer at Taps a few years ago ... a RIS, and the Thomas Jefferson Ale, IIRC.  But I was only there once.

I figure I'll probably try to combine Taps and The Breuery (on Sunday maybe?) since they are only about 5 miles apart.  Neither one is too far from where I'll be staying (La Mirada).

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 03:21:06 PM »

I had some pretty decent beer at Taps a few years ago ... a RIS, and the Thomas Jefferson Ale, IIRC.  But I was only there once.

I figure I'll probably try to combine Taps and The Breuery (on Sunday maybe?) since they are only about 5 miles apart.  Neither one is too far from where I'll be staying (La Mirada).

Sunday lunch at Taps, then head on over to the Bruery? Also in the area is Bootleggers Brewery, but only have fri/sat hours, 2-7 & 12-4 respectively. They're a small operation though, and a pretty quick stop. Great people!

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 06:53:51 PM »

Good call.  I see they also have a Taproom restaurant in Buellton, which is right off 101, but closer to LA.  So depending on what time I was travelling through, that might be a good option.

Another good place on the 101 even closer to LA is JJ Brewskis in Camarillo.  They feature a lot of the locals and even have availability of some vintage stuff, such as Firestone 10,11, and 12 and Bruery Levuds Batch 1.  Pricey, but its there if you want it.  The food there is pretty good as well.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline seaoflament

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »
Not in L.A. but pretty close, just a thought:

http://www.pizzaport.com/realalefest.htm

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »
BISON>

You ready for this? 5 days and counting buddy!

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 10:57:43 PM »
BISON>

Ready  :thumbup:

If we stick with the idea of hitting Beachwood on Saturday for lunch, do you think there would be any problem for me getting back to La Mirada by about 3:30?

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »
I'll be at the Playboy Jazz festival on Saturday so I won't be able to join you gents  :sadbanana:

If you end up driving up the 101, there's just about the most boutique brewery about 50 yards on your left in Nipomo that you really shouldn't miss.  The beer is simple but the ambiance is ridiculous.  Its like hanging out in someones living room.  Words can't describe it so stop off for a pint if you can.  And they do growlers in case you find something you like or are in a rush.  Santa Maria Brewco

There's a bbq place right next door that makes really good tri tip so the exit makes for a really good lunch stop. 
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 12:26:06 AM »
I'll be at the Playboy Jazz festival on Saturday so I won't be able to join you gents  :sadbanana:

If you end up driving up the 101, there's just about the most boutique brewery about 50 yards on your left in Nipomo that you really shouldn't miss.  The beer is simple but the ambiance is ridiculous.  Its like hanging out in someones living room.  Words can't describe it so stop off for a pint if you can.  And they do growlers in case you find something you like or are in a rush.  Santa Maria Brewco

There's a bbq place right next door that makes really good tri tip so the exit makes for a really good lunch stop. 

They have some nice brews.

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 02:12:20 AM »
BISON>

Ready  :thumbup:

If we stick with the idea of hitting Beachwood on Saturday for lunch, do you think there would be any problem for me getting back to La Mirada by about 3:30?

Piece o cake. You heading directly to the wedding, or did you factor in time to go back to your hotel first? your hotel to beachwoods door is about 14 miles, which is like a half hour drive, tops. You could leave beachwood by 230 and be back to La Mirada in PLENTY of time.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
Looks like I'll be headed up to Sacramento & Grass Valley from LA early Monday morning.  Doesn't look there is squat to see along 5 - any hidden gems along the way?  Also, what time do I have to leave in the AM to get the hell out of LA ... will I beat the traffic at 4 or 5 AM?

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 08:55:49 PM »
Looks like I'll be headed up to Sacramento & Grass Valley from LA early Monday morning.  Doesn't look there is squat to see along 5 - any hidden gems along the way?  Also, what time do I have to leave in the AM to get the hell out of LA ... will I beat the traffic at 4 or 5 AM?

Nothin up the 101 mentioned in this thread sparked your interest? You could totally make a day out of driving on the 101 up to Paso Robles, stopping at JJ Brewskis, Santa Maria Brew Co and finishing at Firestone. Have a nice dinner in wine country, grab a hotel room for the night, then finish your trip to grass valley in the morning.

LA to Grass Valley is a helluva drive. If you decide to do a straight shot there, I'd take the 5 to the 99 all the way up. At least you pass through cities along the way and there are 3 and 4 lane wide portions as opposed to mostly 2 on the 5.....there ain't squat along the 5.....except for fat steaks at Harris Ranch....which is almost worth the 5 trip....

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »
Looks like I'll be headed up to Sacramento & Grass Valley from LA early Monday morning.  Doesn't look there is squat to see along 5 - any hidden gems along the way?  Also, what time do I have to leave in the AM to get the hell out of LA ... will I beat the traffic at 4 or 5 AM?

Nothin up the 101 mentioned in this thread sparked your interest? You could totally make a day out of driving on the 101 up to Paso Robles, stopping at JJ Brewskis, Santa Maria Brew Co and finishing at Firestone. Have a nice dinner in wine country, grab a hotel room for the night, then finish your trip to grass valley in the morning.

LA to Grass Valley is a helluva drive. If you decide to do a straight shot there, I'd take the 5 to the 99 all the way up. At least you pass through cities along the way and there are 3 and 4 lane wide portions as opposed to mostly 2 on the 5.....there ain't squat along the 5.....except for fat steaks at Harris Ranch....which is almost worth the 5 trip....

Going up 101 was my preferred route, but we've got to get to Grass Valley on Monday.  Google makes it about a 7 hour drive.   :(

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »

Going up 101 was my preferred route, but we've got to get to Grass Valley on Monday.  Google makes it about a 7 hour drive.   :(

There aren't much worse drives in the world besides the 5 from SF to LA.  Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be 100 degrees, smell like rancid cow shit from 100,00 cows and a dust storm will pick up.  So much to look forward to. 

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »

There aren't much worse drives in the world besides the 5 from SF to LA.  Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be 100 degrees, smell like rancid cow shit from 100,00 cows and a dust storm will pick up.  So much to look forward to. 

So that's another vote for 99?

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »
Looks like I'll be headed up to Sacramento & Grass Valley from LA early Monday morning.  Doesn't look there is squat to see along 5 - any hidden gems along the way?  Also, what time do I have to leave in the AM to get the hell out of LA ... will I beat the traffic at 4 or 5 AM?

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 12:20:20 AM »

Going up 101 was my preferred route, but we've got to get to Grass Valley on Monday.  Google makes it about a 7 hour drive.   :(

There aren't much worse drives in the world besides the 5 from SF to LA.  Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be 100 degrees, smell like rancid cow shit from 100,00 cows and a dust storm will pick up.  So much to look forward to.  

If you take the 99, a nice stop would be Sequoia Brewing in Fresno.  We stopped there last November after a visit to Yosemite, and everything we tasted was solid.  The service was exceptional and the food was pretty good too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:22:25 AM by unclejedi »
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 03:09:51 AM »
If you take the 99, a nice stop would be Sequoia Brewing in Fresno.  We stopped there last November after a visit to Yosemite, and everything we tasted was solid.  The service was exceptional and the food was pretty good too.

Whoa, GOOD call Jedi! They have a pretty kickass IPA, and he can hop off/on the freeway rather quickly!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:28:13 PM by J-Rod »

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »

Thanks, Unclejedi ... I'm adding it to my itinerary.   :thumbup:

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »
update?
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 02:56:06 PM »
 :missing:
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 10:08:26 PM »

Offline Farmhousewench

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Barleywine
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »
:popcorn:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
Here are some of the highlights of our eating and drinking  – This wasn’t really a beer-centric trip, but I managed to hit a few decent spots along the way …

[6/11]  With an early flight from Milwaukee on Friday, the Ms. and I headed down there Thursday evening after work.   Checked in, grabbed a bite to eat, and then made a run to the Sugar Maple for a few beers. With 60 craft taps, it is always hard to choose, but FFF Blackheart and Dreadnaught were calling my name.  Finished up with a Weyerbacher Simcoe DIPA before turning in early back at the hotel.  :banned:

[6/12]  After a smooth flight, we landed (almost) on time at LAX, got our luggage, and picked up the rental car.  Headed straight to Sushi Kinoya (on J-Rod’s recommendation) for a late lunch.   Easy to find, great sushi, and good prices.   :thumbup:    After a quick stop in Trader Joe’s to pick up a couple days’ worth of snacks and breakfast, we made it to the hotel in La Mirada by 3:00.  The pre-wedding rehearsal dinner was at 7:00, so we still had a few hours to kill – just enough time to change clothes and make a stop at The Bruery before dinner.   :banned: Tucked away at the end of an industrial park, it’s not much to look at from the outside.  Inside, the tap room has a very small bar/counter and a few tables (barrels) and chairs scattered around.  Most of the space it taken up by the brewing tanks and one whole wall is lined with barrels of aging beers.  The Ms. and I shared the Black Orchard and Trade Winds Tripel; after that I had the Saison Rue and Berliner Weiss (good, but not nearly as mouth-puckering as the New Glarus version).

[6/13]  Motherpucker’s wedding wasn’t until 4:00 pm, so there was plenty of time to take a drive down to Seal Beach and meet up with J-Rod at Beachwood BBQ.  Got there just before they opened, and we were the first ones in the door.  Great beer list and killer food.  Started with a [?] red ale on cask while we perused the menu.  I wanted to try a few things, so I went with the 3 meat combination of brisket, pulled pork, and spicy sausage, along with collard greens, bleu cheese grits, and cornbread on the side.  Also got to sample a couple of the ribs that the Ms. ordered.  Drank a Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter with most of my meal, and then finished up with Pliny the Elder.   :banned: It was great to meet up with J-Rod for a couple of hours and enjoy some great food, beer, and conversation. 

The wedding was a very casual backyard shindig, and dinner was a taco cart (gator > het).  No good beer being served, but my buddy stashed a few good bottles for us in a cooler in the garage, including Hop 15 and Old Viscosity.  :banned:

[6/14]  Sunday was mostly reserved for driving down the coast a bit, walking around a few of the beaches and beach towns, and hanging out with Motherpucker.  We did manage to sneak in another quick stop at Beachwood (sorry J-Rod, last minute decision  :unsure:) for a “snack” and a couple more beers – Bruery Orchard White and RR Damnation.   :banned:

[6/15]  We had to be in Grass Valley by early afternoon on Monday, so we got up early and hit the road at 5:00 am, the get out of LA before the morning commuter traffic got too heavy.  Still lots of cars at that hour, but only a handful of slowdowns before we got through the city and out of the metro area.  Since it was going to be too early to stop anyplace along the way, we took the shortest route – the dreaded 5.  Lots and lots of nothingness along the way.  :tumbleweed:  And lots of signs protesting state water policies (Note to CA: Don’t try to grow stuff in the desert, and you won’t need as much water.)  The drive was a little quicker than we planned, and we still had about an hour to kill by the time we got to Auburn (about 30 minutes from our destination), so we stopped for lunch at the Auburn Ale House.  Food was OK – average pub food stuff.  The IPA was very good, and the 2008 barleywine was tasty, but very "oaky."   :banned:  A decent place to stop if you are driving between Sacramento and Reno, but not worth going out of your way.

After a brief family visit outside of Grass Valley, we drove back to Sacramento for the night.  Checked in to our cheap (but only somewhat sleazy) motel downtown, and walked around to check out some places to eat dinner.    Stumbled across the best deal of our trip here – a place called Pete’s had a sign in the window for $2 pints on Mondays.  Walked in to find 4-5 Firestone Walker brews on tap, along with 5 other house ales that are brewed by FW.  We grabbed a table on the sidewalk and split an appetizer washed down with pints of FW DBA and Porter.   :banned:  From there we walked to Rubicon Brewing, and I had a tasting flight of the ESB, Stout, IPA, and Winter Wheatwine.  :banned:  All very solid brews, and both the stout and IPA were excellent.  I also got a sampler of their guest tap – “Black Noddy” from Buckbean (Reno), which is supposed to be a Schwarzbier.  Glad I didn’t order a full pint, because this beer was horrible.  Not only did it taste foul, it was not even close to resembling a Schwarz.  Just a few sips of this monstrosity made me want to drive to Reno and smash their brewing tanks with an axe.   We finally settled on a Middle Eastern place for dinner, and made it there just in time to order from their happy hour menu with a variety of small plates for $2-3.  :thumbup: Ordered way too much food and saved the leftovers for breakfast at the motel.

[6/16]  Walked around downtown and Old Sacramento a little more Tuesday morning, then hit the road at 9:00 for San Francisco.  I decided I wanted one more glimpse of coastal scenery, so we cut through the city and drove a little way down Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay.    I spotted a sign on the main road for Half Moon Bay Brewing Co. and decided to turn in to check it out.  We got there about 30 minutes before they opened, so we decided to have an early lunch right across the road at a little shack called Barbara’s Fish Trap (there’s a joke in there somewhere), where we split a bowl of clam chowder and big plate of fried clams, shrimp, scallops, squid, and fish.  After our seaside feast, we walked back to the brewpub for some tasting.   :banned: I had a tasting flight of their brown ale, cherry brown ale, hefeweizen, stout, IPA, and DIPA.  The Hefe was the best of the bunch, and the stout was pretty good too.  Everything else was mediocre at best, and the IPA was pretty weak.

From Half Moon Bay we went to the airport to drop off the rental car, and took the BART back into the city.  Checked into the hotel and wandered around Chinatown for a while before dinner at Chef Jia’s.  More seafood for us – I had the squid with hot & sour sauce, and the Ms. went with her favorite sesame scallops.  We also shared an order of the pork pot stickers, which are ridiculously large and delicious.  After dinner we walked up Columbus Ave to get some pastries from Mara’s (mmmmmm …), and stopped at San Francisco Brewing Co.    They had 5-6 beers on tap and I got samplers of the ESB, porter, and IPA.  The ESB was mediocre, the porter was really disappointing, and the IPA was decent and drinkable, so I had a pint of that one after the samples.  :banned:

[6/17]  The last full day of our tip, we spent most of Wednesday walking around different neighborhoods in the city.  We wanted to check out a place called Swan Oyster Depot before the lunch rush, so we stopped there about 10:30 for a mid-morning snack.  I had a half dozen assorted oysters with a pint of Anchor Steam beer  :banned: and the Ms. opted for a mixed seafood salad  :thumbup:  Later that afternoon we were close enough to the Rogue Public House to take a break from our walking and have a couple of beers – Imperial Porter and Old Crustacean for me.  :banned:

We chose Italian for dinner that night, and gorged ourselves on plates of mussels, gnocchi, pasta, and risotto.  After dinner, we capped off our last evening with a stop at the Thirsty Bear brewpub.  The Ms. enjoyed a pint of the Vanilla Ale (I didn’t care for it much) and I had pints of the ESB on Cask, and the IPA – both very tasty.  :banned:

[6/18]  Got to the airport early, smooth flight to Milwaukee, and made it back to GB just in time to pick up the dog from the kennel before crashing at home.   :deadbanana:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:35:35 PM by flyingbison »

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »
:thumbup: that sounds like a blast. man do i miss California.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 11:14:45 PM »
Ahhhh, reminds me of a 2005 trip to Cali with Squid. Except you did more drinking. And, less disc golfing.

Nice recap.

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 03:00:15 PM »
[6/15]  We had to be in Grass Valley by early afternoon on Monday, so we got up early and hit the road at 5:00 am, the get out of LA before the morning commuter traffic got too heavy.  Still lots of cars at that hour, but only a handful of slowdowns before we got through the city and out of the metro area.  Since it was going to be too early to stop anyplace along the way, we took the shortest route – the dreaded 5. Lots and lots of nothingness along the way.  :tumbleweed: 

Man Bison, sounds liek a kickass time! Too bad I have to give you crap now:)

LISTEN. TO. YOUR. CALIFORNIA. BRETHEREN.

99 route is 2 miles shorter. It shows up as 10 minutes longer on google, only because of a 55mph zone near modesto that no longer exists.

Next time, you know what to you.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »
[6/15]  We had to be in Grass Valley by early afternoon on Monday, so we got up early and hit the road at 5:00 am, the get out of LA before the morning commuter traffic got too heavy.  Still lots of cars at that hour, but only a handful of slowdowns before we got through the city and out of the metro area.  Since it was going to be too early to stop anyplace along the way, we took the shortest route – the dreaded 5. Lots and lots of nothingness along the way.  :tumbleweed: 

Man Bison, sounds liek a kickass time! Too bad I have to give you crap now:)

LISTEN. TO. YOUR. CALIFORNIA. BRETHEREN.

99 route is 2 miles shorter. It shows up as 10 minutes longer on google, only because of a 55mph zone near modesto that no longer exists.

Next time, you know what to you.

Ugh - it's horrible freeway.  I hate roads with 2 different speed limits for trucks and cars, when there are only 2 lanes ... the trucks and busses are going 55 in the right lane, and so all the morons who want to go 57 ride in the left lane.   :hot:

Also just missed a major accident with 2 tractor trailers by a few minutes.  Road was completely blocked off and we had to drive onto the grass median to get around them.

Next time I'll know better ... :kickrock:

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
Did you live there?
???

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »
Rogue Public House was disappointing for me.  Out of 55 beers on tap, not a single one isn't available in bombers in MN so I haven't bothered to return on other trips.  

San Francisco Brewing Co. has always had decent but not great beers.  I've always enjoyed it for the atmosphere.  Gone out after close with their employees in the past and had a great time.  Love the old time feel of the place.  

Thirsty Bear is across the street from the Moscone Center so I hit them a couple times during the week end I'm in town for conferences.  Love the Golden Vanilla.  Could drink that all day in the summer heat.  Their Barley Legal Barleywine is great but not on often (maybe it's just in January when I'm there each year).  Hibernator Dopplebock and Abbey Dubbel are both very nice too.  Overall they aren't one that's going to really push the limits but make pretty solid brews.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 05:39:28 PM »
Did you live there?
???

to be honest, i'm not sure :mellow:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.