search

Author Topic: Wisconsin Dells  (Read 11872 times)

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Wisconsin Dells
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »
Might have to stop next weekend! :excited:
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2020, 10:58:42 PM »
Update?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »
Update?
Ended up not getting to that area. :shrug:
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2020, 09:43:52 AM »
Update?
Anything good in the Dells this time around?

We went to Broadway Diner in Baraboo last time, it was great.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2020, 10:00:54 AM »
Update?
We weren't in the Dells. We were in Prarie du Sac and possibly going through Baraboo but took a different route.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
Update?
We weren't in the Dells. We were in Prarie du Sac and possibly going through Baraboo but took a different route.
Gotcha. Thought you meant the Devil's Lake area.

Heard good things about Green Acres in Prarie du Sac, old school place. I heard it's Dr. Evermor's fav dining out spot.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2020, 06:49:46 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2021, 11:15:13 AM »
:tumbleweed:

Welp, guess the family trip with the inlaws is back on this summer. woohoo :mellow:

For me, this thread has always been about exploring the surrounding area. I think there are a couple newer breweries in Baraboo now: Al. Ringling and Tumbled Rock. I wonder if The Barn has any plans to reopen elsewhere or rebuild.

Always wanted to check out the Museum of Historic Torture Devices... :mellow:

JJ> any new intel? :popcorn:

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2021, 01:31:01 PM »

Welp, guess the family trip with the inlaws is back on this summer. woohoo :mellow:

You know there is no masking in WI, right?  :mellow:

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »

It's so weird leaving Dane county and seeing masks just disappear in an instant.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2021, 03:05:17 PM »

It's so weird leaving Dane county and seeing masks just disappear in an instant.
That will take getting used to, but i'll be fully vaxxed so not too worried. Won't be cramming in any SRO bars however.

Downstate IL seems pretty similar on mask-wearing, at least in the more rural parts.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2021, 03:27:33 PM »

That will take getting used to, but i'll be fully vaxxed so not too worried. Won't be cramming in any SRO bars however.

Downstate IL seems pretty similar on mask-wearing, at least in the more rural parts.

Think it's pretty much rural areas anywhere.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2021, 03:59:51 PM »

For me, this thread has always been about exploring the surrounding area. I think there are a couple newer breweries in Baraboo now: Al. Ringling and Tumbled Rock. I wonder if The Barn has any plans to reopen elsewhere or rebuild.

You wanna have some real memorable fun while at Wisconsin Dells go to the local grocery store up there and buy some chicken livers and some frozen smelt.

Not to eat you dummy, but to glob on a hook and fwang out there into the Wisconsin River.

80-100 pound sturgeon and / or 50-60 pound flathead catfish. Plenty of 10-20 pound channel catfish too.

Better than sitting in some stinky old bar and far less risk of COVID too.

I know some spots.................
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2021, 10:29:23 PM »

You wanna have some real memorable fun while at Wisconsin Dells go to the local grocery store up there and buy some chicken livers and some frozen smelt.

Not to eat you dummy, but to glob on a hook and fwang out there into the Wisconsin River.

80-100 pound sturgeon and / or 50-60 pound flathead catfish. Plenty of 10-20 pound channel catfish too.

Better than sitting in some stinky old bar and far less risk of COVID too.

I know some spots.................

I've been on the river up there a few times with my FIL, just to cruise around. Sadly no WI fishing license.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2021, 09:51:24 AM »

You ain't lyin'.  We were in the Dells Saturday night.
Went into the hotel to check in and saw no fewer than 3 dozen people standing around shoulder to shoulder maskless for a wedding. The restaurant was packed with no table distancing and a packed bar.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2021, 11:39:00 AM »
It's almost that time... :hack:

When we go to the Dells, and I try to spend the least amount of time possible in the Dells proper. Planning to hit the new pub in Roxbury for lunch on the way up, and maybe get the kids (not mine) to Dr. Evermor's. The new breweries in Baraboo are on my radar too, Al. Ringling and Tumbled Rock.

Anything else new and worthwhile? :popcorn:

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »

Should be plenty of delta variant floating around.   :mellow:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2021, 11:56:26 AM »

Should be plenty of delta variant floating around.   :mellow:

The only crowds I anticipate will be outdoors. We rarely go out to eat with a big group. :parrothat:

Welp, looks like the only halfway decent brewery in town shut down. Port Huron :(

Huh, they closed *before* covid.
https://www.wiscnews.com/wisconsindellsevents/business/wisconsin-dells-port-huron-brewing-company-announces-closure/article_a70d1770-31dc-5baf-80a1-67c2a08d7471.html

Moosejaw/Dells Brewery sucks, not to mention a few years back the brewmaster called the cops on a charity homebrew competition at The Barn in Baraboo. So, fuck them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:59:13 AM by emerge »

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2021, 12:17:11 PM »

When we go to the Dells, and I try to spend the least amount of time possible in the Dells proper. Planning to hit the new pub in Roxbury for lunch on the way up, and maybe get the kids (not mine) to Dr. Evermor's. The new breweries in Baraboo are on my radar too, Al. Ringling and Tumbled Rock.

I was there a few weeks ago (daughter's dance competition) and I'll be there the last week of the month (vacation). Nothing new as far as restaurants but, like everywhere else, they are short staffed. Places are closing earlier than usual. We finally hit Grateful Shed which was a cool place with a decent selection.

I've never been out to Baraboo but I may when we go. We were asked to cater a wedding there next year and I'd like to check the place out. Maybe hit the places you mentioned.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2021, 12:44:39 PM »

I was there a few weeks ago (daughter's dance competition) and I'll be there the last week of the month (vacation). Nothing new as far as restaurants but, like everywhere else, they are short staffed. Places are closing earlier than usual. We finally hit Grateful Shed which was a cool place with a decent selection.

I've never been out to Baraboo but I may when we go. We were asked to cater a wedding there next year and I'd like to check the place out. Maybe hit the places you mentioned.
:thumbup:
I like Baraboo, there's a few things to do and it's not teeming with tourists like the Dells.

Will try to check out the antiques barn on highway 12 on the way up. :thumbup:

Edit: Huh, it looks like they sell nazi candle holders. :unsure: :( :backsaway:
https://goo.gl/maps/S9iXJqAF1KUxdFYKA
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:53:52 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
"Man Mound Park" :unsure:

Located outside of Baraboo, this is an effigy mound over 1000 years old. It's one of only 10 preserved effigy mounds in the US, and the only surviving monumental earthen anthropomorphic effigy in North America.

Pretty unusual, and a free attraction off the beaten path. A little far from the Dells, but if in Baraboo, it's only 5 min. outside of town.

https://goo.gl/maps/3sBye2cdX7urHTX97

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/man-mound

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 01:21:24 PM by emerge »

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »

I like Baraboo, there's a few things to do and it's not teeming with tourists like the Dells.

I love that place. I usually stop and pick up some vintage Star Wars stuff and Brewers bobbleheads.

And, yeah. As soon as you walk in there is a case of Nazi goodies and a few other cases. There's actually a lot of WWII stuff for sale. I was eyeing up the patches looking for anything my grandpa had. Maybe a purple heart.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2021, 02:48:09 PM »
Tumbled Rock, has a really cool space but it is definitely aimed at the tourist crowd. The beers I had was their were unremarkable. Driftless Glen in Baraboo has some decent single barrel ryes normally and maybe if you are lucky a finished rye that are usually interesting if that trips your trigger. Showboat saloon in the dells has basically become a Central waters/Toppling Goliath taproom it feels like. Natural Bridge is a cool often forgotten state park not too far from Baraboo kind of out in the way of Dr. Evermor's that we have hiked during the pandemic.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2021, 02:53:27 PM »

I love that place. I usually stop and pick up some vintage Star Wars stuff and Brewers bobbleheads.

And, yeah. As soon as you walk in there is a case of Nazi goodies and a few other cases. There's actually a lot of WWII stuff for sale. I was eyeing up the patches looking for anything my grandpa had. Maybe a purple heart.

There used to be a great antique mall in the Dells a block off Main St. that closed a few years ago. They're fun to browse for sure.

It just struck me as odd that's one of the first business photos on google maps. I know they're antiques brought back by WWII soldiers, but racist nuts also that collect that stuff to jerk off to, unfortunately.

My great uncle had a purple heart, bronze star, and a few other medals. Got a shrapnel wound that messed his leg up. Sadly he died before I could meet him.

Tumbled Rock, has a really cool space but it is definitely aimed at the tourist crowd. The beers I had was their were unremarkable. Driftless Glen in Baraboo has some decent single barrel ryes normally and maybe if you are lucky a finished rye that are usually interesting if that trips your trigger. Showboat saloon in the dells has basically become a Central waters/Toppling Goliath taproom it feels like. Natural Bridge is a cool often forgotten state park not too far from Baraboo kind of out in the way of Dr. Evermor's that we have hiked during the pandemic.

Natural Bridge is cool, we hiked it a few years back too. Good tip on Driftless Glen :thumbup: Did you eat anything at Tumbled Rock?

Edit: Near Natural Bridge is Sprecher's Bar: https://goo.gl/maps/F9YXpby29hQnBtpY7
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 03:03:52 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »
Tumbled Rock, has a really cool space but it is definitely aimed at the tourist crowd.

I'll still pop in here and Ringling to check them out. This place looked way more promising than Ringling though.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:32:46 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2021, 10:02:48 AM »
Thinking about another side trip up to Mauston (25 min.), there's a new brewery there called Gravity Box. They make a "50 Sheds of Hay" farmhouse ale :lol: :bag:

Jackson Clinic is kinda sorta on the way back, maybe do a 1-2 stop trip. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:05:36 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2021, 10:19:10 PM »
Sprecher’s Bar in Leland was a trip and a half. A little too 2nd amendmenty for me but an experience all the same. (They sell firearms and ammo from the bar) :comegetsome:

Ringlings in Baraboo was kinda whatever. Cool space, dull beer.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2021, 10:52:24 AM »
Trip summary:
Monk's (Wilderness): Seems to have fewer noteworthy beer selections but they are present. CLOSED TUESDAYS
Grateful Shed: Cool place with good tap selection. Live music
House of Embers: A few local micros (had Mobcraft Batshit Crazy) CLOSED TUESDAY
Moosejaw: Had an 8-beer flight. The Imperial Vanilla Cream Ale and Belgian Chardonnay were really good. Pear Seltzer was, dare I say, excellent. Red Ale tasted like band-aids :-X
River Walk Pub: Standard selection :shrug:
Brat House Grill: We've driven past this place a hundred times and never thought about stopping. Finally did it for lunch. Walked past a couple ladies completely wasted and stumbling around at 12:30PM. Hooray Wisconsin! Some Micros. Had a McLovin Red Ale from Vintage with a Freakin' Hot Polish.
Del-Bar: More focused on cocktails so beer was basic. A couple of micro options but nothing to report back on.
Sprecher Brewpub: CLOSED is now Lake City Social. Did not go.
Overall: Places are playing it safe with selections. Staffing sucks and a lot are adjusting hours and warning people ahead of time they are short-staffed. River Walk staff had T-Shirts with "Please be patient. There are, like, 3 of us working" on the back. Call ahead and make sure the place is open before you go and not closing early. Noah's Ark was closed Wednesday and Flash Flood was shut down Tuesday.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2021, 11:33:25 AM »

Brat House sounds promising. My inlaws brought enough food to feed 20 people for the weekend.

Going to try for Tumbled Rock later, went to Gravity Box in Mauston which was a worthwhile detour. Hit Jackson Clinic and Viking Liquor in Reedsburg on the way back. The store had a remodel and the beer was more spaced out, lots more seltzer, very few imports. Some regional stuff from Oliphant and Pitchfork out of Hudson.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2021, 11:35:46 AM »

Brat House sounds promising. My inlaws brought enough food to feed 20 people for the weekend.

Going to try for Tumbled Rock later, went to Gravity Box in Mauston which was a worthwhile detour. Hit Jackson Clinic and Viking Liquor in Reedsburg on the way back. The store had a remodel and the beer was more spaced out, lots more seltzer, very few imports. Some regional stuff from Oliphant and Pitchfork out of Hudson.
Yeah, overall this is starting to eclipse microbrews in some locations.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »

Yeah, overall this is starting to eclipse microbrews in some locations.

That store is huge too, used to be a full wall of beer up front, now it’s all seltzer and mixers. They spread out the beer across the whole back of the store in cooler aisles, so the majority is cold. A little too spread out though, you have to walk down every aisle to see what they have.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2021, 12:34:46 AM »
Didn’t make it to Tumbled Rock, they “stopped seating at 5:45 for a private event”. :shrug: We went to B-Lux and got stuck there for 3 hours, due to their no res policy, our large group, and staffing issues. An hour to get seated, an hour to get the food, the rest was waiting to order and eating. :deadbanana:

PseudoSue on tap, not bad. I had a “KY Brainfreeze”, a milkshake with Makers, caramel, and peanut butter, and an “Emerald Thyme” with Hendricks, cucumber, and thyme I think. Food was better than a lot in the Dells but still kind of average.