search

Author Topic: Wisconsin Dells  (Read 6593 times)

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: Wisconsin Dells
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
My hatred comes from most everything else around the Dells.

soooooo.... Wisconsin?

Was referring to everything in the Dells other than the beer selection.  Hate all that touristy shit.  The people watching was fantastic though.  Never thought there could be so many awful tattoos (one woman had a frosty on her calf).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
My hatred comes from most everything else around the Dells.

soooooo.... Wisconsin?
i'm guessing all the tourist bullshit :coffee:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
update? :coffee:

Drank mostly what I bought at Zinke's, which has a good selection, but you have to watch the dates on some of it.  Piles of CW BBBW and HopSlam were the highlights.  They also had a bottle of Toppling Goliath left on the shelf.

Went to the Sand Bar during the Basketball Tourney on Sunday.  They had Lake Louie Kiss the Lips on draft as the only real option for a craft drinker, but it was enough for me.  Food was typical from frozen bar food, so I wouldn't recommend eating there unless there isn't much of an option.

At the waterpark, they had Dale's Pale Ale, so I had a few of those.  Other than that, it was all macro.

I still hate the Dells, but there are a few options for decent beer at least.  My hatred comes from most everything else around the Dells.

Heading there this weekend. You happen to find anything we dont get in Hudson?
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:23 AM »

Drank mostly what I bought at Zinke's, which has a good selection, but you have to watch the dates on some of it.  Piles of CW BBBW and HopSlam were the highlights.  They also had a bottle of Toppling Goliath left on the shelf.

Went to the Sand Bar during the Basketball Tourney on Sunday.  They had Lake Louie Kiss the Lips on draft as the only real option for a craft drinker, but it was enough for me.  Food was typical from frozen bar food, so I wouldn't recommend eating there unless there isn't much of an option.

At the waterpark, they had Dale's Pale Ale, so I had a few of those.  Other than that, it was all macro.

I still hate the Dells, but there are a few options for decent beer at least.  My hatred comes from most everything else around the Dells.

Nope.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2014, 08:23:59 AM »

Nope.
How about FFF stuff? I've seen bombers at Zinke's in the past.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »

Nope.

There was some Pride and Joy there, but that's it.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »

Nope.

Boo. Trying to remember what I saw there, pretty sure it was Blackheart or something. Coulda been a case that sat there for a year too... :shrug:

There's the newer local brewery, Port Huron. Not sure how far they distribute in the state. Their taproom is a nice escape from the tourist crowds, it's only open Fridays 3-9 PM and Saturdays 2-9 PM. Solid but unremarkable range of 6 beers.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »

Nope.

Boo. Trying to remember what I saw there, pretty sure it was Blackheart or something. Coulda been a case that sat there for a year too... :shrug:

There's the newer local brewery, Port Huron. Not sure how far they distribute in the state. Their taproom is a nice escape from the tourist crowds, it's only open Fridays 3-9 PM and Saturdays 2-9 PM. Solid but unremarkable range of 6 beers.

Cool, havent seen them up around here. Definitely going to try to make a stop there.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2014, 01:48:48 PM »

Nope.

Cool, havent seen them up around here. Definitely going to try to make a stop there.
Just checked another site, and apparently there's a new store in Lake Delton. The review mentions Alesmith BA Speedway, FFF Dreadnaught and Live a Rich Life, so they might still be there this weekend i'd guess (off season).

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »
 :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »

Thanks for the tips!

No problem :hifive: Let us know if you come across any cool stuff...

Mentioned upthread too, Dr. Evermor's Forevertron and The Barn in Baraboo are must sees, imho. Evermor's may be off season though.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »
Havent made it to zinkes yet and probably wont since this is our last day here but liquor central has some pretty damn good stuff. Highlights for me-

Fff manowar
Fff dreadnaught
Fff live a rich life
Fff behemoth
Gi lolita
Gi halia
Bruery bois
And the top dog haha-

Sorry about the size

They had a bunch of other really good stuff too that you cant find in almost every wi liquor store.

Toppling goliath pseudosue, zeelander
Dfh 4 packs and a couple bombers
Fff six packs

I mainly picked out local stuff that i couldnt get back home to drink. Wisconsin brewing, lake louie, port huron, and wis dells brewing. Might pick up some bigger stuff on the way out today and possibly hit up zinkes also
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:48:52 AM by wisconsinbeer1 »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
Wow.  If you're going to be around there and would pick up two bottles of 16 for me I'd be grateful.  If you can't, no big deal.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
Wow.  If you're going to be around there and would pick up two bottles of 16 for me I'd be grateful.  If you can't, no big deal.

I'd take 1 as well. Maybe TT can bring it to me at TBEfest.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
Sorry about the size
If you had a nickle for every time you said that...

FYI- fill in the blanks
Code: [Select]
[img width=x]http://xxxxx.jpg[/img]
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
A case of 16... I'll be damned :excited: this thread delivers :thumbup:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »
Sorry about the size
If you had a nickle for every time you said that...

FYI- fill in the blanks
Code: [Select]
[img width=x]http://xxxxx.jpg[/img]

:lol: Appreciate the help. Wasnt getting good phone reception in the dells and had to use imgur app and couldnt resize.

I'd take 1 as well. Maybe TT can bring it to me at TBEfest.

Done and done

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
Also forgot to add that they carried three different Alesmith barrel aged beers. No speedway though. Found this interesting as well, the plastic bags they use are Zinkes bags. Guessing they are maybe owned by the same people? Never did make it to Zinkes.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »
I've been there, it's pretty awesome. Ender has too...

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
Anyone know anything about this
Wisconsin Brew Pub at Kalahari
Is this a real Brew Pub or a Pub with Brews?
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »

I'm going to assume #2 based on the Coors neons in the background.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »
Doesn't seem to be affiliated with WI Brewing Co.

"Come experience award-winning ales and lagers" :confused:

"The restaurant features 20 beers on tap — 18 being Wisconsin craft beers. A beer board on the bar wall shows the location and story behind each of the beers. Another 40 Wisconsin beers are available in bottle."

link to article

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2015, 02:40:42 PM »
Doesn't seem to be affiliated with WI Brewing Co.

"Come experience award-winning ales and lagers" :confused:

"The restaurant features 20 beers on tap — 18 being Wisconsin craft beers. A beer board on the bar wall shows the location and story behind each of the beers. Another 40 Wisconsin beers are available in bottle."

link to article
This is what really threw me off. It makes it sound like they were awarded the medals but I'm pretty sure they are inferring the beers they carry did.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »
After reading the article I'm convinced- these guys are shysters. Promoting as though they have won the awards. F them. F the whole lot.
I think I'll email them this

I cannot promise I won't cause a scene and be kicked out.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:52:02 PM by JJ »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »
The time is nigh...

Planning a group outing to the Barn and Dr. Evermor's.
Port Huron doesn't really seem to deviate from their core lineup, which is weird.
Liquor Central and Zinkes are on the to-do list, also Viking.

Showboat Saloon has a good tap list, will try to hit there early in the day, to avoid the karaoke yolo-deutschbag shitshow.

Sadly the 2 country bars west of Baraboo have had their proprietors pass away in the last few years. (Drea's Bar and Sprecher's Tavern) May still make it to Sprechers Tavern in Leland on the way to House Of The Rock, it looks like it may still be open.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2015, 07:49:09 AM »
The time is nigh...

Port Huron doesn't really seem to deviate from their core lineup, which is weird.

Showboat Saloon has a good tap list, will try to hit there early in the day, to avoid the karaoke yolo-deutschbag shitshow.

Sadly the 2 country bars west of Baraboo have had their proprietors pass away in the last few years. (Drea's Bar and Sprecher's Tavern) May still make it to Sprechers Tavern in Leland on the way to House Of The Rock, it looks like it may still be open.
Really, Showboat? Good to know.
Wasn't at all impressed with Dells Brew Pub at Kalahari. Food quality and beer list was...meh

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
The time is nigh...

Wasn't at all impressed with Dells Brew Pub at Kalahari. Food quality and beer list was...meh
Yeah, I was surprised too, always gave that place a hard pass. Sounds like they got a new beer buyer in the last couple years that is very in tune with craft stuff. FFF, Surly, Founders, etc. from what i've seen on Untappd.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2015, 02:30:43 PM »
The time is nigh...

Yeah, I was surprised too, always gave that place a hard pass. Sounds like they got a new beer buyer in the last couple years that is very in tune with craft stuff. FFF, Surly, Founders, etc. from what i've seen on Untappd.

https://www.beermenus.com/places/11347-showboat-saloon
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »
The time is nigh...

Anybody had Central Waters Summarillo?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
The time is nigh...

I literally drove past 3-4 times a day. Wish I had known.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
I'll take all the $2.50 all days they will sell me

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
The time is nigh...

Yes, I thought it was enjoyable.  I think the bottle I had was 3 weeks old.  No where near as juicy as the Jack's Abby IPL's but still good.
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2015, 11:01:22 PM »
I'll take all the $2.50 all days they will sell me
See you there Monday :cheers:
Think I'll drink for breakfast and do some peyote before Wizard Quest :coffee:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »

Yes, I thought it was enjoyable.  I think the bottle I had was 3 weeks old.  No where near as juicy as the Jack's Abby IPL's but still good.

had it a few times now. seems to get a little more tasty each time.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2015, 09:56:57 PM »

had it a few times now. seems to get a little more tasty each time.
Wound up getting the HHG APA from Central Waters which was pretty solid.
Showboat was ok, so-so country vibe with nice taps, didn't stay for the karaoke.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2017, 05:26:56 PM »
Fire up this miserable thread... maybe i'll just spend the weekend drunk and/or fishing.  :excited:
In other news, Zinke's has sold to Maurer's Markets. They own stores in Madison and Lafayette, IN.

Is there anything cool/weird/worthwhile to do here?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
:tumbleweed:

Dr. Evermor's Forevertron
The Barn
Corner Pub
Showboat
Maurer's Market

Anything i'm forgetting? Maybe a barf bag?

Update: New shop called Barabrew in (where else) Baraboo. Looks promising.
Also Woodshed Ale House in Sauk City. Bonus points for not being in the Dells.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:30:16 AM by emerge »

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

The Barn
Corner Pub
Showboat
Maurer's Market

FYI Woodshed is owned by Vintage out of Madison.
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »

The Barn
Corner Pub
Showboat
Maurer's Market

FYI Woodshed is owned by Vintage out of Madison.
So bring the barf bag then?

;)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »
Might hit the Roxbury for lunch on the way up, always liked that place. The owner is in his mid-70's and had a stroke a few years back, hoping he's got many more years left. That place is a national treasure, imho.

Roxburger:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
Looking to travel out of the area to Kansas City on a Monday, so most places will be closed i'm sure. Heading through the "driftless region" of SW WI.
If anyone has suggestions, i'm all ears. :popcorn:

I'm planning a stop in Viroqua to pick up the various Driftless Brewing beers at the co-op, the latest one is a dandelion lager.
Probably will stay the night in Des Moines. 515 Brewing was very good there.

Edit: 90% of pubs/breweries are closed Mon., may detour to Decorah on the way since TG is open 3-9pm.
Edit #2: Safe House Saloon in Lansing IA looks like a solid bet, but not open till 4pm.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:03:12 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
Looking to travel out of the area to Kansas City on a Monday Tuesday, so most places will be closed i'm sure. Heading through the "driftless region" of SW WI.

I'm planning a stop in Viroqua to pick up the various Driftless Brewing beers at the co-op, the latest one is a dandelion lager.

Edit: 90% of pubs/breweries are closed Mon., may detour to Decorah on the way since TG is open 3-9pm.
Edit #2: Safe House Saloon in Lansing IA looks like a solid bet, but not open till 4pm.
So, i've looked into the route a little more, and there's some cool stuff in Viroqua. 220 organic farms in that county alone. :o
Driftless Cafe (was on WI Foodie this week), and Driftless Books & Music also on the radar. Who knew it was a food tourism destination?

Keeping this on topic, this is a cool place outside of Baraboo where you can see all 15 species of cranes for free.
Probably taking our niece there at some point.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »
Looking to travel out of the area to Kansas City on a Monday Tuesday, so most places will be closed i'm sure. Heading through the "driftless region" of SW WI.

So, i've looked into the route a little more, and there's some cool stuff in Viroqua. 220 organic farms in that county alone. :o
Driftless Cafe (was on WI Foodie this week), and Driftless Books & Music also on the radar. Who knew it was a food tourism destination?

Keeping this on topic, this is a cool place outside of Baraboo where you can see all 15 species of cranes for free.

In that same vain, I remember going here a bunch when I was kid and enjoyed it. It might be a little far from the Dells though.

http://dnr.wi.gov/education/mackenzie/

I don't remember if it was free or not, but it couldn't have been that expensive if it was not. It had and wild life area with a bunch of wolves, bison and badgers stuff that inhabited the area way back when. There is also a huge pheasant nursery outside of it. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »

In that same vain, I remember going here a bunch when I was kid and enjoyed it. It might be a little far from the Dells though.

http://dnr.wi.gov/education/mackenzie/

I don't remember if it was free or not, but it couldn't have been that expensive if it was not. It had and wild life area with a bunch of wolves, bison and badgers stuff that inhabited the area way back when. There is also a huge pheasant nursery outside of it.
Cool, that's good to know. Looks like it's free unless you have a guided tour group.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »
Went to a few places, highlights were probably the Intl. Crane Foundation, Barabrew, and a $2.50 pint of Untitled Art Creamsicle IPA at Showboat Saloon.

Zinke's is dead and the new store there sucks for beer now. Viking Liquor is pretty good, though Barabrew had some solid seasonal stuff like Shorts Anni-Ale, Ale Asylum Dr. Vennum, O'so Arbre, fresh TG. Port Huron had a decent mild sour ale. Missed going to The Barn and Devils Lake this year.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »

So, i've looked into the route a little more, and there's some cool stuff in Viroqua.[/url] 220 organic farms in that county alone. :o

Viroqua was cool, it would make a nice backroad weekend trip from Madison or MN. The co-op had an amazing cheese selection, likely due to the proximity to all the local dairies. They were out of Driftless beers, when I asked the guy just let out a huge Thicklaugh™. Apparently the brewery can't keep up with demand.

There are a couple nice state parks nearby, Wildcat and Kickapoo Valley. Would be a nice place to see some fall foliage.

Kind of bummed we were 15 mi. from this new barn mural by one of my favorite artists, A a r o n Horkey...
it's in Cashton at All Seasons Farm. Just found out about it today, here's a good shot:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
Article related:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-trav-0626-dells-first-timer-20160613-story.html

"It's like Las Vegas for children," my wife said.

This. So Much This.

Eat and drink:
Macs Macaroni and Cheese Shop (www.macandcheeseshop.com) offers both basic and gourmet macaroni and cheese for parents and children alike;
High Rock Cafe (www.highrockcafe.com) offers a solid array of inventive American fare;
the newly opened B-Lux Grill and Bar (www.b-luxgrill.com) served up one of the better hamburgers I've had in a while.
Myrt and Lucy's Chat and Chew dishes out belly-filling breakfasts and has tables large enough for the biggest of broods.

Beer-loving parents should not overlook Showboat Saloon (www.showboatsaloon.com), which offers an outstanding selection of craft beer on draft and features a generous $2.50-per-pint happy hour that extends to all day on Sundays.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
Anyone been to Ishnala? Supposedly #1 supper club in WI, a few min from Lake Delton at Mirror Lake.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2018, 10:44:03 PM »
Anyone been to Ishnala? Supposedly #1 supper club in WI, a few min from Lake Delton at Mirror Lake.

not yet but watched a PBS show on Wisconsin supper clubs and this place was one i had mentally bookmarked. looks cool.