search

Author Topic: Wisconsin Dells  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
Wisconsin Dells
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:46:36 AM »
Heading to Wisconsin Dells this weekend with the girlfriend, her mom, and brother.  Wondering what's around for decent beer.  I've been to Moosejaw but frankly I'll make my own glass of soapy water if that's what I wanted to drink.  I might head to Reedsburg and hit the little brewpub there as I haven't been in a while but may not be able to sneak off that long.  We'll be staying at Wilderness.  May just end up packing a large cooler full of good stuff if there isn't much around.

Suggestions?
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
Re: Wisconsin Dells
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:01:29 PM »
Seems Essen Haus may be worth a stop.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »
Heading to Wisconsin Dells this weekend with the girlfriend, her mom, and brother.  Wondering what's around for decent beer.  I've been to Moosejaw but frankly I'll make my own glass of soapy water if that's what I wanted to drink.  I might head to Reedsburg and hit the little brewpub there as I haven't been in a while but may not be able to sneak off that long.  We'll be staying at Wilderness.  May just end up packing a large cooler full of good stuff if there isn't much around.

Suggestions?
We go every year and yes, Moosejaw blows. Hit the Essen House. Other than that be ready for a steady diet of Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada PA.

Pack a cooler. I usually bring a few growlers.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Oxymoron

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »

Ummm, ok :unsure:

Oh, and get lunch at Monk's :thumbup: The original one downtown. The other ones don't have a buildup of crap on the grills yet.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »
Oh, and get lunch at Monk's :thumbup: The original one downtown. The other ones don't have a buildup of crap on the grills yet.

Sweet I'll check it out.  I'll plan to bring a couple growlers too.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »
Heading to Wisconsin Dells this weekend ...

Mall of Amercia closed?

Offline Oxymoron

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »
WI Dells...Dell...PC..bad joke... :sadbanana:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 01:21:21 PM »
Heading to Wisconsin Dells this weekend ...

Mall of Amercia closed?

Mall of America is across the street from my place.  I can see it now.  Hate that place.  Girlfriend's mom is renting one of their condo things for us and buying beer for the long weekend.  Can't argue with hanging around by the pool in the sun drinking beer.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
Oh ok.

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Barleywine
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »
Oh ok.

YEESH.  Cut the guy some slack!!

p.s.  OXY> I heart bad jokes.  Nice work.   :thumbup:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 01:59:59 PM »
Oh ok.

I'm not giving him a hard time, I just didn't see the connection.

Cut ME some slack pal <_<

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Barleywine
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »
Oh ok.

I'm not giving him a hard time, I just didn't see the connection.

Cut ME some slack pal <_<

:unsure:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:21 PM »

Offline DaPeculierDane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Malt Liquor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
The Essenhaus in the Dells doesn't have the selection of its Madison location but it is fun in a silly/kitschy/cheesy way.  Definitely visit Moose Jaw.  They are improving their beers a little more each time I visit.  I actually find that they do a nice job with their lagers/pilsners, which is rare at brewpubs since it seems that most brewers write off those simple styles as nothing but filler for the Miller Lite drinkers.  Moose Jaw currently offers a wonderful Restoration Ale on tap to benefit Lake Delton's restoration.  I recommend it.  Their BA Porter is pretty good and available now too.

Also, I stopped by the Corner Pub in Reedsburg after fishing on Saturday.  They currently have 8 home brews on tap and most are quite good.  Be careful driving in Reedsburg and don't speed.  Their cops are balancing the state's budget deficit by giving speeding/OWI tickets.

If you want to go to an affordable, laid back, and really great restaurant that has a few good beers, I recommend going to Little Village in Baraboo.  It beats anything in the Dells short of the high end places like the Dell Bar or Fields.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:23:12 PM »
The Essenhaus in the Dells doesn't have the selection of its Madison location but it is fun in a silly/kitschy/cheesy way.  Definitely visit Moose Jaw.  They are improving their beers a little more each time I visit.  I actually find that they do a nice job with their lagers/pilsners, which is rare at brewpubs since it seems that most brewers write off those simple styles as nothing but filler for the Miller Lite drinkers.  Moose Jaw currently offers a wonderful Restoration Ale on tap to benefit Lake Delton's restoration.  I recommend it.  Their BA Porter is pretty good and available now too.
This is good to hear :thumbup: Maybe I'll have to check them out again next month.
Also, I stopped by the Corner Pub in Reedsburg after fishing on Saturday.  They currently have 8 home brews on tap and most are quite good.  Be careful driving in Reedsburg and don't speed.  Their cops are balancing the state's budget deficit by giving speeding/OWI tickets.
Did they have the Dill Pickle beer on tap? :-X

If you want to go to an affordable, laid back, and really great restaurant that has a few good beers, I recommend going to Little Village in Baraboo.  It beats anything in the Dells short of the high end places like the Dell Bar or Fields.
Ah... Del Bar :wub:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 04:51:07 PM »
Sounds good.  We may drop into Moose Jaw then.  I feel like I had something from them at a beer fest a while back and it was much better then I remember from the sampler of soap water I had at their pub once.

Lake Delton was being refilled last week from what I heard.  People were renting lake side rooms to watch it.

Not sure about getting out to hit Reedsburg but thanks for the tip about the cops.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »
Guess it's in the opposite direction for you, but the Roxbury Tavern near Sauk City is pretty cool. At least 3 Lake Louie taps and good food. We're planning to hit it on the way up to the Dells (it's a mandatory "family vacation" :thumbdown: ).

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »
Anything special available in WI right now that I should be looking for?  Thinking we'll just try stopping at Chicone's in Hudson on the way.  Plan on grabbing a case or two of New Glarus, maybe some Tyranena Scurvy, and who knows what else.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »
Had a ton of fun.  Girlfriend's good friend had a baby right before we left town on Saturday afternoon so we had to stop by the hospital quick and say hi.  Grabbed some beer when I crossed the boarder.  NG IPA, NG Black Wheat, NG Stone Soup, NG Crack'd Wheat, and Central Waters Glacial Trail IPA. 

Made it to The Dells in a bit over 3 hours including the stop for brew.  Room was a big condo like thing.  2 bedroom with 1.5 bath and full kitchen and stuff.  Went right to drinking. 

Later headed to some place for dinner.  Had a awesome walleye.  Enjoyed a couple Capital Ambers.

Off to Kalahari's crazy bar.  They put on a bottle slinging show and pour lots of free shots.  Girlfriend and I had a drink called Beachside Memories for 2 although after finishing most of it myself I think it's more of a memory eraser.

Headed back and dropped her mom off and then her brother gave us a ride to Monk's to have a couple beers.  Went with a few NG Spotted Cows.  Back to the room around closing time.

Woke up close to noon and headed out to the pool with a NG IPA to join everyone else.  Sat around the pool for a number of hours and swam a bit.  Enjoyed 4 or more of these frozen raspberry lemonades (along with one non-frozen one).  Went on a water slide.  Back to the room where we grabbed frozen margaritas with an extra 2 shots of tequila thrown on top (not my choice).  Walked to some huge water slide that was suppose to be like a hurricane of some sort (guess that's what it was called).  Drank huge margarita.  Wandered to some other pool after riding the slide.  Finished margarita and moved on to MGD as we had some nachos.  Back to the room for another beer. 

Showered quick and headed to Moose Jaw while her mom took a nap.  Got the sampler and their beers have REALLY improved since my last visit.  They were all drinkable and some were even pretty tasty.  Thought about getting a growler of one of them (some hoppy reddish thing?).  Played some video games and had a couple appetizers.  Back to the room.

Off to dinner at some fancy place or another.  Kept drinking and was pretty much in the bag by that point.  Mumbled and made little sense but was apparently pretty funny. 

Woke up and headed out to the pool for a couple hours while the girlfriend's mom and brother headed home.  Grabbed some pizza at Pizza Pub before heading outta town.  Now have a refrigerator filled with beer that won't likely get touched for quite a while.  Kinda sad.

Overall a fun weekend. 

Can you get more badass then a water skiing, pirate, clown?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »
Did you stay at the Kalahari? I'll be there in three weeks.
Was it the original Monk's on the main street in Dells or a newer one?

Good to hear about Moosejaw. I'll keep it in mind.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
Did you stay at the Kalahari? I'll be there in three weeks.
Was it the original Monk's on the main street in Dells or a newer one?

Good to hear about Moosejaw. I'll keep it in mind.

We stayed in a condo thing at Wilderness.  Went to the Monk's in the parking lot at Wilderness.

Recommend stopping at the Kalahari bar where they do the bottle slinging.  Pretty cool to watch and it's short.  Goes on for about 15 minutes or so but it's entertaining. 

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »
For the record... The Essen House---> :tombstone:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »

Closed?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »

Closed?
:yes:
Now it's some other tourist-trap place.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »

Closed?

Aaaah.  Well glad I didn't try going there.  I know we'll be back at least one more weekend this summer.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 11:43:21 AM »
:bye: to everyone WankerWeasel just led here.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »
:bye: to everyone WankerWeasel just led here.

Yeah, welcome.  Stay a while.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 12:13:12 PM »
Closed?
Aaaah.  Well glad I didn't try going there.  I know we'll be back at least one more weekend this summer.
Now it's called "Gilly's Island"... they basically left it the same, and taped up some construction paper letters spelling the name over the bar. :bs:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
Any liquor stores around the area that'll have a decent selection of New Glarus?  Most of them?  Coming into town from Iowa.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
Any liquor stores around the area that'll have a decent selection of New Glarus?  Most of them?  Coming into town from Iowa.

Zinke's Market has really stepped up their game this year... only place in town worth mentioning.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »

Zinke's Market has really stepped up their game this year... only place in town worth mentioning.

Cool, I'll drop in there.  Thanks.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 10:16:15 AM »

Otherwise, the only places I know nearby are points south, Viking Express in Baraboo, and Liquor Baron in Sauk City (Roxbury Tavern nearby is worth the trip). Zinke's should be all you need. When are you going? I'll be up there this weekend.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »

Otherwise, the only places I know nearby are points south, Viking Express in Baraboo, and Liquor Baron in Sauk City (Roxbury Tavern nearby is worth the trip). Zinke's should be all you need. When are you going? I'll be up there this weekend.

Heading to a wedding in Iowa on Saturday and to the Dells on Sunday morning til Wednesday.  Gonna be at Wilderness.

New Glarus' website has a beer finder.  Looks like they list 3 stores in the area that carry Unplugged so I'd guess those ones would have most of their other stuff too.  Zinke's looks like a good bet.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

Heading to a wedding in Iowa on Saturday and to the Dells on Sunday morning til Wednesday.  Gonna be at Wilderness.

New Glarus' website has a beer finder.  Looks like they list 3 stores in the area that carry Unplugged so I'd guess those ones would have most of their other stuff too.  Zinke's looks like a good bet.
Yeah, i'm planning on a case of Dancing Man to make it through the weekend :excited:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 10:51:48 AM »

Yeah, i'm planning on a case of Dancing Man to make it through the weekend :excited:

Dancing Man and Crack'd Wheat for me.  Wish they would have kept the IPA. :(

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »

I liked their IPA too, but the Moon Man is really good.

Offline NFLMVP

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »

I liked their IPA too, but the Moon Man is really good.

+1
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »

Moosejaw has an Amarillo Porter on, and a Lemongrass ale. Might be worth lifting my boycott...

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »

Moosejaw has an Amarillo Porter on, and a Lemongrass ale. Might be worth lifting my boycott...

We dropped in last year and the beers has improved.  May stop in again this time if we have some free time.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
Interesting :thumbup:
Good to know. We'll be heading out there next month.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
Interesting :thumbup:
Good to know. We'll be heading out there next month.
I'll report back here with any good intel :ninja::nerd:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2010, 09:30:17 AM »
Monks had Lake Louie cream ale and a few craft bottles. Cuban sammy was good there. Zinkes had a case of dancing man buried under other stuff but none in the coolere. Lots of Founders and FFF there :thumbup:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2010, 11:51:09 AM »
Monks had Lake Louie cream ale and a few craft bottles. Cuban sammy was good there. Zinkes had a case of dancing man buried under other stuff but none in the coolere. Lots of Founders and FFF there :thumbup:
Which Monk's? Original or the new one at Wilderness?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »

Sorry for the lapse in replying, had limited access this past week.

It was at the original Monk's on the strip. They had maybe 10 local craft bottles, Capital Maibock, some New Glarus.
Moosejaw also had a decent IPA, "Pale Tourist". Corner Pub had a good IPA too, also Smoked Porter, and a Bourbon Scotch Ale.

Duff> Have a good Dells trip?

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »

Sorry for the lapse in replying, had limited access this past week.

It was at the original Monk's on the strip. They had maybe 10 local craft bottles, Capital Maibock, some New Glarus.
Moosejaw also had a decent IPA, "Pale Tourist". Corner Pub had a good IPA too, also Smoked Porter, and a Bourbon Scotch Ale.

Duff> Have a good Dells trip?

Had a fun time and great weather.  Drove right by Corner Pub on the way into town but didn't stop since all 6 of us in 2 cars were just looking to get to our condo.  Hit the liquor store for a bunch of Dancing Man and Crack'd Wheat and drank mostly that the whole time other then Capital Amber at the water park most of the day and a couple Heineken tallboys.  Didn't get a chance to drop into Moosejaw either.  Still happy with the New Glarus and I had some Surly and Great River cans from Iowa so everything worked out.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
Update:
Found a great place to buy bottles. Zinke's Market
I shit myself when I saw what they had. It was always the usual crap and some New Glarus. This time they had shelves of 3F, Founders, Central Waters, Goose Island (limited release stuff too!), Lake Louie. Of course the usual Wisconsin Dells markup on the prices but it was nice to see.

Also Moosejaw is damn good again. Red Rye was superb.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
Update:
Found a great place to buy bottles. Zinke's Market
I shit myself when I saw what they had. It was always the usual crap and some New Glarus. This time they had shelves of 3F, Founders, Central Waters, Goose Island (limited release stuff too!), Lake Louie. Of course the usual Wisconsin Dells markup on the prices but it was nice to see.

Also Moosejaw is damn good again. Red Rye was superb.
:thumbup: mentioned zinke's upthread, glad to hear they delivered. during tourist season they can get cleared out on the weekends, but they manage to get in some nice stuff.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
It's that time of the year again :rolleyes:
Anything I need to look for on the way to FIB tourist hell the Dells?

Planning on a case or three of Cranbic and an Ale Asylum growler...

Want to hit this place eventually in Woodman, WI... Whistle Stop Restaurant & Brewery