search

Author Topic: Jolly Pumpkin  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: Jolly Pumpkin
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2011, 11:54:17 AM »
La Roja Grand Reserve release:
12/11/2011 NOON
Only at Jolly Pumpkin Ann Arbor & Jolly Pumpkin Old Mission
$13.00btl/330ml
:thumbup:

:$:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »
ISO! :drool:

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Got one for me?

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale

Offline beam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel

Offline Dr. Rockzo

• Barleywine
  • The Rock'n'Roll Klown
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 01:19:22 AM »
 :lol: :lol: fat chance
“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »
you fuckers in the city come out to my house I'll share two!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
you ####ers in the city come out to my house I'll share two!
####ers is a term of endearment, right? :unsure:

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
you ####ers in the city come out to my house I'll share two!
####ers is a term of endearment, right? :unsure:

maybe  :mellow:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
Jolly Pumpkin Cafe & Brewery
Some suprises coming from the Dexter Brewery today- how does Bambic sound to you?......... we'll have it available in 330 ml bottles and on draft for a bit. Another added bonus drop Oro in 330's too. Happy Thursday

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
Probably the finest piece of writing about beer ever written:

"Listen, I don't believe in this mouthfeel mishmash. In fact my "mouth feels" a bit filthy saying it. But my "tongue feels" that this is a member of the fruit family. Namely the glockenspiel fruit playing Jesus music. It pings in there and bounces from tooth to tooth: boong baaang bong bong. And my belly says it is truly the spice lords stamping their gummy little feet into the loam and making footprints. And there's a tractor behind a barn carrying apples to a spice-barrel and dropping them in and all the monkeys are loose and throwing gobs of the pulp at the back of your throat and your uvula is saying "aaahhh.""

- TheLagerHeads review of Bam Biere

Oro de Calabaza locked and loaded in the fridge... :ale:

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »

"Listen, I don't believe in this mouthfeel mishmash. In fact my "mouth feels" a bit filthy saying it. But my "tongue feels" that this is a member of the fruit family. Namely the glockenspiel fruit playing Jesus music. It pings in there and bounces from tooth to tooth: boong baaang bong bong. And my belly says it is truly the spice lords stamping their gummy little feet into the loam and making footprints. And there's a tractor behind a barn carrying apples to a spice-barrel and dropping them in and all the monkeys are loose and throwing gobs of the pulp at the back of your throat and your uvula is saying "aaahhh.""

Thanks for making me feel like I never want to try Jolly Pumpkin again.  In the immortal words of Count Orsini-Rosenberg from Amadeus, "A most tiresome piece. A young man trying to impress beyond his abilities. Too much [verbiage]. Too many [metaphors]."

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »

Thanks for making me feel like I never want to try Jolly Pumpkin again.  In the immortal words of Count Orsini-Rosenberg from Amadeus, "A most tiresome piece. A young man trying to impress beyond his abilities. Too much [verbiage]. Too many [metaphors]."
You're welcome! More for me. :burp:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »
Oro de Calabaza tasting pretty nice. A little vinous, white grape and pepper, dry oaky finish. Doesn’t seem as funky, carbonated, or sour as I remember from years past. Bottle is around 8 mos. old.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2019, 11:11:18 AM »
I miss JP. We have a lot of decent substitutes, but sucks not having them in VA.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
I miss JP. We have a lot of decent substitutes, but sucks not having them in VA.

That gives me a twinge of guilt that there's a JP brewpub in town and i've never been. Granted the brewpub is in Hyde Park, and well over an hour round trip, on a good traffic day. 10 years ago I drove to the brewery in Dexter before they had a taproom.

My local shop got a few cases of 750's for cheap and selling them for $8-10, which was great.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »

That gives me a twinge of guilt that there's a JP brewpub in town and i've never been. Granted the brewpub is in Hyde Park, and well over an hour round trip, on a good traffic day. 10 years ago I drove to the brewery in Dexter before they had a taproom.

My local shop got a few cases of 750's for cheap and selling them for $8-10, which was great.

We actually went there when we were in town a few years ago!  Seemed a little pricey to me, but that was probably just big city prices more than anything else.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »

We actually went there when we were in town a few years ago!  Seemed a little pricey to me, but that was probably just big city prices more than anything else.
Now I feel really guilty :bag:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2021, 11:52:03 AM »
Welp, update time.

Finally went down to the Hyde Park location. Kind of a sad facsimilie franchise feel to the place, but they had 12 JP taps and 9 from North Peak including a good wet hop IPA. The bartender was kind of cautious of us for some reason, and didn't really get that I just wanted to try beers that were new to me. He seemed fairly knowledgeable about the beers. I'd mentioned that i'd been to the original brewery in Dexter and their first brewpub in Ann Arbor. Later he asks me "well how big of a JP fan are you?" :blink: while trying to pitch me a "vintage cellared" 2017 bottle of Clementina for double the price. <_<

Mixed feelings as the beer and fries were mostly good, it just felt like a sellout at this point. Most of their 9 locations 10 locations (Detroit airport just opened) are like this, run by a restaurant group with no brewing on-site, but still a pretty respectable and extensive selection. They had several JP drafts & to-go beers I hadn't had before, so that was a plus. Not sure why they don't open until 4pm on weekends either, maybe staffing issues but I counted 8+ staff there. Maybe not enough staff for 2 shifts, idk. All the other locations open at noon.

I've strayed away from their canned flagship beers as they all taste scaled up and watered down with less barrel time. Bottles have mostly been good. Tried Single Hop Simcoe that I liked pretty well.

Question for Adam, Ed, or maybe Deco> Do they still brew at the Traverse City location? Can't find any mention of it, and there's a distillery on site there now too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 12:37:13 PM by emerge »

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2021, 04:26:41 PM »
I don't have any intel on the TC location, but I did buy some JP bottles and cans last time we were in Michigan, including a "closeout" older 375 mL bottle of Calabaza Blanca for $5 and a $13 "new" 4-pack of 16-oz cans of the same beer for comparison at about half the price per oz.  I did a side-by-side and couldn't tell the difference.  Both versions tasted great to me, and the new package is way easier on the wallet.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2021, 04:56:36 PM »
I don't have any intel on the TC location, but I did buy some JP bottles and cans last time we were in Michigan, including a "closeout" older 375 mL bottle of Calabaza Blanca for $5 and a $13 "new" 4-pack of 16-oz cans of the same beer for comparison at about half the price per oz.  I did a side-by-side and couldn't tell the difference.  Both versions tasted great to me, and the new package is way easier on the wallet.

Yeah, the pricing is great now. Indirectly that supports my theory they spend less time in the barrel. Never did a side by side, good idea :cheers:

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2021, 06:50:26 PM »

Yeah, the pricing is great now. Indirectly that supports my theory they spend less time in the barrel. Never did a side by side, good idea :cheers:

Currently it's 2 months for the Blanca. https://brewery.jollypumpkin.com/blanca No idea what it used to be.  It's also possible they adjusted it well before moving to cans.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2021, 07:24:18 PM »

Currently it's 2 months for the Blanca. https://brewery.jollypumpkin.com/blanca No idea what it used to be.  It's also possible they adjusted it well before moving to cans.
I’m guessing they could have transitioned to much larger foeders at some point, in the larger Dexter brewery. When you supply beer to 10 locations and nationwide, production has to ramp up. They have always had some foeders just not huge ones. The original brewery had a variety of smaller barrels too, which tend to impart more barrel character.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2021, 03:44:35 PM »
Still haven't come across the cans. I guess they have reduced their distro and are concentrating more regionally?  :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2021, 04:25:04 PM »
Still haven't come across the cans. I guess they have reduced their distro and are concentrating more regionally?  :shrug:

Not that i've heard, looks like they're in 36-ish states from their distro list. :o:

Could be that shops still have old inventory and haven't ordered the cans yet? They've been out since early 2020 I believe.

Scrolling their Instagram last night, I noticed they did have a few floor to ceiling foeders. Also regular barrels, probably for their longer-aged seasonals.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2021, 06:25:51 PM »
I think that list is out of date. A few years ago JP went on clearance from the distributor here in MD. It seems they haven’t put in any other orders since then. Otherwise, JP hasn’t been in Bmore since. I go to the best beer store in south central PA and they don’t have JP either. Again, stuff was around pre-cans but nothing since.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2021, 08:08:36 PM »
I think that list is out of date. A few years ago JP went on clearance from the distributor here in MD. It seems they haven’t put in any other orders since then. Otherwise, JP hasn’t been in Bmore since. I go to the best beer store in south central PA and they don’t have JP either. Again, stuff was around pre-cans but nothing since.

Boo. :( It’s possible, they could be struggling to be in 36 states and 10 branded pubs. Seems like a lot for one brewery barrel aging everything.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2021, 05:01:02 PM »
but I did buy some JP bottles and cans last time we were in Michigan, including a "closeout" older 375 mL bottle of Calabaza Blanca for $5 and a $13 "new" 4-pack of 16-oz cans of the same beer for comparison at about half the price per oz.  I did a side-by-side and couldn't tell the difference.  Both versions tasted great to me, and the new package is way easier on the wallet.

I bought both of these same things when I drove through Michigan to go to Great Taste this year.  And I agree that the cans were just as tasty.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.