search

Author Topic: Light for my Cellar  (Read 1215 times)

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
Light for my Cellar
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:24:11 PM »
I want to put something in so I can see when I'm in there, but I've heard flourescent is a no-no.  Is there another kind of light that is ok?  Am I worrying to much and as long as it's just on while I'm in there it doesn't matter?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline NFLMVP

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
Re: Light for my Cellar
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »
I want to put something in so I can see when I'm in there, but I've heard flourescent is a no-no.  Is there another kind of light that is ok?  Am I worrying to much and as long as it's just on while I'm in there it doesn't matter?

If you're only using it while you're down there it won't matter.  Even if yo left it on for an hour here or there, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I've got a mix of fluorescent and incandescent lights down there and I don't even give it a second thought.
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »
word.  Don't worry about what kind of light.  It won't be on long enough to cause any problems.  I recommend high-pressure sodium.  Oh wait, beer cellar.  Never mind.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline pwoods

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
If the only light it gets is while you're down there stocking or grabbing bottles for the fridge then, like everyone said, you're good to go.

If you're cellar isn't secluded and just out in the open in the basement and the light is on semi regulary, then you can get a UV film to put over the lights.  At my old chemical mixing job we did a lot of UV and anaerobic adhesives(glue that cures in UV light or in the presences of raw metal) so I worked in a room with UV protective film on all the windows and either on the light bulbs or on the plastic coverings to the lighting fixtures in the ceiling.  I don't know if you can just order this stuff or what.

Also, a local world market place here in Cincinnati(Jungle Jim's) has their beer and wine sections protected from UV light but I think they use special bulbs since the UV film at my old job gave off a bit of a yellow tinting.  Maybe you can order special bulbs that block UV light.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:26:01 PM by pwoods »

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »
It's a secluded room.  The only semi-finished room in his basement.  Shows you where his priorities are.  :thumbup:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline orbitalr0x

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
  • No sir.......I don't like it.
    • For The Love Of Beer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »
Agreed, I have mostly compact flourescent bulbs in my basement but only really turn 'em on when I'm down there looking for beers so I don't really worry about it, as it's dark the rest of the time.

If the lights were on all day long then I would be worried, otherwise wouldn't sweat it at all.
It's better to regret something you have done, than it is to regret something you haven't done.

howardf says: it's rare that i don't have my cock in my hand, but whatever

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:52:29 PM »
If the only light it gets is while you're down there stocking or grabbing bottles for the fridge then, like everyone said, you're good to go.

If you're cellar isn't secluded and just out in the open in the basement and the light is on semi regulary, then you can get a UV film to put over the lights.  At my old chemical mixing job we did a lot of UV and anaerobic adhesives(glue that cures in UV light or in the presences of raw metal) so I worked in a room with UV protective film on all the windows and either on the light bulbs or on the plastic coverings to the lighting fixtures in the ceiling.  I don't know if you can just order this stuff or what.

Also, a local world market place here in Cincinnati(Jungle Jim's) has their beer and wine sections protected from UV light but I think they use special bulbs since the UV film at my old job gave off a bit of a yellow tinting.  Maybe you can order special bulbs that block UV light.  :shrug:

Why in the hell would I take something out of the cellar and put it in a fridge? /KingG

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral