search

Author Topic: Dublin Ireland  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Oxymoron

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
Dublin Ireland
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:43:45 PM »
Next year in April, my wife and I will be traveling to Dublin.  I have never been outside of the US (unless you don’t consider Mexico).  So has anyone every been?  We are planning on going for two weeks and will be hitting up Scotland and England as well.  Any suggestions on where to go?  Thx in advance.

Offline Pols

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face
Re: Dublin Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »
I have been to England and Scotland, but not Ireland. Edinburgh was amazing, as was London. Didn't make it to Glascow though. I have a couple pics in my profile from over there. Will post some when I get home from work if you would like.

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 03:21:13 PM »
That would be awesome, thanks!

Offline dlj

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »
I have been to Dublin 4 times in the past year.  Definetly hit Messimers.  It is a brew pub and the food is good.  Then walk down  to the temple bar area.  This is a must to hit on a Friday night.  There are a lot of bars in the area and each of them is barely standing room only.  Most have live bands.  This is an experience you have to be part of.  This is the most famous bar area in ireland.  The bus system in town is excellent, but try to get a hotel downtown its alot easier to walk after hitting the bars.  Skip the Guiness tour it isn't worth it.  Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »
Maybe Mully will pop in.  He was just there a year or two ago.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:58:50 AM »
I have been to Dublin 4 times in the past year.  Definetly hit Messimers.  It is a brew pub and the food is good.  Then walk down  to the temple bar area.  This is a must to hit on a Friday night.  There are a lot of bars in the area and each of them is barely standing room only.  Most have live bands.  This is an experience you have to be part of.  This is the most famous bar area in ireland.  The bus system in town is excellent, but try to get a hotel downtown its alot easier to walk after hitting the bars.  Skip the Guiness tour it isn't worth it.  Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

x2 on everything dlj said. I was there last june, had a blaaaaast. Also, in the temple bar area, hit The Porterhouse. One of the few microbrew places in Dublin. If you have the time, I would go to the Guinness factory to A. say you've been ad B. drink a pint in that badass bar they have atop the building. ALso, the original 9000 year land lease from 1759 is set into the ground, also cool. Also, the Jameson tour is decent, and you get quite a few tasters. They also sell a 12 year that apparently you can only get on location.
J> I'm telling you, eat just a little and then rub the flesh
Can't help it....I have man-love for the Cuban Missile.

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:10:32 AM »
Thanks for the info.  We are staying with friends there so all we have to pay is for the flight, food and travel expenses.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »
 :thumbup:

I will be going to Dublin in August.  Any new suggestions?
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »
:thumbup:

I will be going to Dublin in August.  Any new suggestions?

Jealous  :thumbup:
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
I'll be in Dublin from Friday morning until the next Sunday morning, so basically 8 full days.  I'd love to see more of the country, but we'll be crashing at my girlfriend's friend's place in order to get a free "hotel room" instead of paying for it....so I'll take what I can get.

We may be spending a day in Belfast and possibly London, as well as seeing some of the other random sights around Ireland (if possible in a day-trip).  A day in Belfast is probable, whereas London is very iffy and probably won't happen with the time constraints (we'd have to be there and back in the span of a day, unless we want to get a hotel for one night).

What are the must-see places and what are the crap tourist traps to avoid?  Good food, good beer....where to go? 

Offline dlj

• VIP Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 11:57:55 PM »
It is a bit touristy, but you need to spend a Friday or Saturday night down at the temple bar district.  It is worth it for the entertainment value. :banned:

Offline milwaukeeclassic

• Quadrupel
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 12:07:38 AM »
I'll be in Dublin from Friday morning until the next Sunday morning, so basically 8 full days.  I'd love to see more of the country, but we'll be crashing at my girlfriend's friend's place in order to get a free "hotel room" instead of paying for it....so I'll take what I can get.

We may be spending a day in Belfast and possibly London, as well as seeing some of the other random sights around Ireland (if possible in a day-trip).  A day in Belfast is probable, whereas London is very iffy and probably won't happen with the time constraints (we'd have to be there and back in the span of a day, unless we want to get a hotel for one night).

What are the must-see places and what are the crap tourist traps to avoid?  Good food, good beer....where to go? 

the wife and I had a blast at the Bushmills distillery tour.  It was cool that they were actually working while we were touring and there were lots of free samples of whiskey.

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:47 AM »
I went right around this time last year.  In Dublin there are arent many options.  We didn't go to Guinness, it was really pricy.  There were two brewpubs in Dublin that were good and located relatively close to each other and near tourist spots.  Messrs Maguire was my favorite.  The other being the Porterhouse (there were 2 if I remember correctly).  I did find some good ciders at a few random pubs.  What was nice about Dublin is there small pubs all over the place and they will usually have the same thing everywhere.

There were a few places outside Dublin.  I will take a look at my notes from last year a bit more.

Have fun driving on the wrong side of the road.  That was an advanture.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »
Any other suggestions?

Not just beer, but food and other things to do?

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
Any other suggestions?

Not just beer, but food and other things to do?

The book of Kelles was cool.  We ended up going near the post office, but the wife read 1916 and gave a bit of background on it.  You can still see the bullet holes.  Mostly we went to the down town area and tour a bunch of churches, but we were only in Dublin a few days.

If you do go to Belfast, I recommend taking one of the black taxi tours.  Very cool and informative.  The university was cool as well.  Would recommend going to see the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick Ropebridge, plus Bushmills is close by.  That is a full days trip.

Dont kiss the blarney stone.  We were told a few times that the locals pee all over it.  Not sure if its true or not, either way that was enough of a deterrent to me.

Galway is a days travel but pretty cool.  The Cliffs of Moher was awesome.  We did go to the Aran Islands, video taped the locals talking in Gaelic, was very cool.

We did stay a night in Sligo, not much there but there we stayed in a castle over night which was fun.  We stopped and took pictures of a tonsof castles and churches which are all over the place.

You are going to have a fun time.  Wish I could go back again.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 09:17:56 PM »
bump>help

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »
update?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 06:02:26 PM »
Just got back.  It was pretty awesome, but I think we managed to hit most of the big sights, so I'm not sure there'd be much of a point to go back.

Day-by-day:
D1 - Dublin - didn't do much.  Our original flight was cancelled (the Buffalo to JFK leg) so we had to reschedule.  We got to Dublin around 7:30 AM and spent most of the day just wandering aimlessly with our host - aka my girlfriend's good childhood friend - St. Stephen's Green, Grafton St., the post office from the Easter Rising.  We were too dead tired to go out drinking, so we had a few beers at her place and went to bed.  We did manage to stop at Temple Bar after lunch for a Guinness - they have a line straight from the factory I guess, it was super fresh - she recommended we go there during the day before it gets super packed with tourists at night.

D2 - went to Newgrange and Knowth, which took up most of the day.  Got back to Dublin in the mid-afternoon and hit up the Porterhouse.  Very cool place.  It was Sunday night, and she had to go to work in the AM and we had to get up early to take the bus to Galway, so again, no shenanigans.

D3 - bus to Galway.  Very cool little town right on the water.  Narrow pedestrian streets.  I think it was cooler than Dublin, actually, although less to see.  Did a walking tour, got some fish and chips at McDonagh's - looked like a tourist trap, but EVERY PERSON we spoke to recommended it.  It had a line out the door at 7:30 PM on a Monday night, so it had to be good...and it was.  We went to Tigh Neachtain for some beers.  Nice old pub right on a street corner in the city centre.  I guess they play traditional music there, but no one was playing on Monday night.

D4 - went to Cliffs of Moher and The Burren and then took the bus back to Dublin.  Simply incredible places to visit.  No drinking really this day as we spent all our time on the road.  I'll post some pictures.

D5 - went to Belfast.  Fascinating city, possibly my favorite part of the trip.  Took a walk into the Catholic and Protestant ghettos and took a bunch of pictures.  Really interesting history.  Took a walking tour through the city center as well, but for obvious reasons, they didn't get into the political stuff.  Stopped off at Bittles Bar before heading back to Dublin.  Really cool little place on the corner that is apparently in the world's top 100, according to that site.  They had a huge selection of local beers, I wish I had more time there.  Back in Dublin, we went to Messrs Maguire for some of their craft beers and to watch the Ireland/Argentina soccer game.  Place was pretty packed, but we managed to get some room on the 3rd floor.  Beers were very good too.

D6 - kinda wasted this day as we woke up too late and didn't make it to Guinness in time.  Although we did get to Leopardstown at night for some horse racing.  Apparently it was a pretty big event, as Sky Sports was there and broadcasting live.  They had some traditional music playing afterward so we stayed for a few beers.

D7 - Saw Kilmainham Gaol (a really somber scene) and the Guinness Tour (a really happy scene).  The Guinness "Gravity Bar" aka the top floor of the building had an exceptional view and the Guinness really is better when it's so fresh.  Lunch at a cool little place called Queen of Tarts, and then we took our hostess and her boyfriend to dinner at The Exchequer.  Apparently it's the "hot spot" in town and we were lucky to get a table.  Food was pretty good, but the beer selection was underwhelming.  Went to a few places afterwards...Hogan's (real sausagefest there) and Shebeen, which was pretty cool.  All sorts of mismatched furniture, varied crowd, real laid-back.  Closed that place down and called it a night.

D8 - Saw the national art gallery and national history museum.  Went to The Barge for some drinks at night (watched some of the PGA Championship on TV live at 10 PM :lol: ) followed by a bunch of other places that I can't remember and ending at Flannery's, which apparently we went to as a joke just to people watch all the rednecks dance to Lady Gaga or something.  Got some donner kebabs, which were unbelievably good, and called it a night.

All in all a good week.  The beer selection was pretty disappointing overall, but we managed to hit some of the better spots.  Belfast seemed to have a better beer selection, but that could've just been the places we visited.  The Guinness is certainly better there though.  Also, they apparently serve it with black currant juice if you ask for it.  My girlfriend tried it...they pour maybe 1 oz of black currant juice into the bottom of the pint glass and then fill the rest with Guinness.  It tastes literally like ice cream.  Tastes nothing like Guinness.  Way too sweet for me to finish a whole pint though.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Re: Never Before experience of luxury stay in Dublin
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:33 AM »
Whenever you come to Dublin,I would suggest you to stay in D4hotels not only because they are cheap but also because they give you the luxurious experience as you have experienced never before.
For more information visit:
http://www.d4hotels.ie/

Leave it to Oxy to bring the spambots.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
Re: Never Before experience of luxury stay in Dublin
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Whenever you come to Dublin,I would suggest you to stay in D4hotels not only because they are cheap but also because they give you the luxurious experience as you have experienced never before.
For more information visit:
http://www.d4hotels.ie/

Leave it to Oxy to bring the spambots.

I swear I only used your email address...