search

Author Topic: New Glarus  (Read 31640 times)

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
Re: New Glarus
« Reply #650 on: July 26, 2021, 11:55:18 AM »
Wild Sour
Black Top
Cran-bic
Hop Hearty
Imperial Stout
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #651 on: July 26, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
Wild Black Raspberry was my suggestion. Blackcurrant would work too.

Bohemian Lager
Hometown Blonde
Sour Brown Ale
Wild Peach
Eisbock

Wondering how accurate their beer schedule is, does specialty stuff usually hit shops the 1st of the month? Or ship out on the 1st? TIA :popcorn:

Offline thewimperoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #652 on: August 16, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »
Looks like R&D Vintage 2020 was poured from unlabeled bottles at GToM.  Wonder if Vintage 2019 and this one are ever going to get released.
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #653 on: August 16, 2021, 02:08:55 PM »
Looks like R&D Vintage 2020 was poured from unlabeled bottles at GToM.  Wonder if Vintage 2019 and this one are ever going to get released.

It would be really cool if there was a healthy surplus they could just sell year-round from the Beer Depot. No lines, no crowds.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #654 on: August 20, 2021, 07:48:13 PM »
Thumbprint Pear 21 is shipping now :excited::cheese:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #657 on: August 22, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »
So they think because they’re shareholders, they’re entitled to everything and calling the shots on where profits go?

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #658 on: August 22, 2021, 09:41:02 AM »
So they think because they’re shareholders, they’re entitled to everything and calling the shots on where profits go?

Using their money to start a business without them is fair grounds for a complaint.  These are pretty serious charges:

The group also alleges a list of claims that pertain to stock transfers:

The owner used Brewery money and resources to set up Deb Carey’s nonprofit family foundation, and changed internal shareholder rules so that shareholders could not donate shares to any charity other than Carey’s.
Carey exempted herself and her daughter from stock transfer restrictions that applied to the other shareholders.
She withheld and manipulated financial and valuation data, and used Brewery money to buy the minority shareholders’ voting shares at low values to retain and bolster Carey’s voting majority.
She pushed new stock transfer restrictions that would not apply to Carey, where the Brewery could buy back minority shares at substantially less than fair market value and less than prices offered by third parties.
She threatened that if the minority shareholders did not agree to the new stock transfer restrictions, or the preferred status of her family foundation, that Carey would arrange to sell her shares to the highest bidder and freeze the minority shareholders out of the sale.

Also, the Wisconsin thing is a total red herring, if she was going to sell her shares to the highest bidder, there's zero chance they were going to stay WI-only.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #659 on: August 23, 2021, 09:40:00 AM »
Let's say you make 100M from your business, your profit share. You have to ask investors in that company if it's ok to start another company with your profits?

Saying it was "meant to be owned by the brewery" just sounds like they're butthurt they're not getting a piece of it, not that the brewery is actually funding it. It's really not clear what (if any) agreement there was here. Maybe they pitched the distillery idea, then decided to take sole ownership.

The other allegations will have to be proven in court, I agree that they're serious if true.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #660 on: August 23, 2021, 09:56:25 AM »
Let's say you make 100M from your business, your profit share. You have to ask investors in that company if it's ok to start another company with your profits?

Saying it was "meant to be owned by the brewery" just sounds like they're butthurt they're not getting a piece of it, not that the brewery is actually funding it. It's really not clear what (if any) agreement there was here. Maybe they pitched the distillery idea, then decided to take sole ownership.

The other allegations will have to be proven in court, I agree that they're serious if true.

As long as investors (the Careys included) are being paid their share of dividends what is done with that money is irrelevant. Dan Carey could have invested it in MyPillow stock and nobody could say anything. If the seed money that was intended to be used to fund the distillery was part of the brewery profits meant to be reinvested into the brewery, there may be a case.

Also, all the claims if true, yikes. This does sound like a Deb Carey thing.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #661 on: August 23, 2021, 10:11:14 AM »
Also, what lawyer would've advised any of that would be a good idea? Saul Goodman?
Unless it was done secretly. Just wondering aloud what the paper trail looks like here.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #662 on: August 23, 2021, 10:49:10 AM »
Also, what lawyer would've advised any of that would be a good idea? Saul Goodman?
Unless it was done secretly. Just wondering aloud what the paper trail looks like here.
"Look, I know what you're thinkin'. It's too good to be true, right? What if I told you it's not? Sure these other guys will tell you 'You can't do that with our money!' but here's the thing. It's not their money. In fact, is there even any money? I don't think so, pal. All you have here is Cap-i-tal, my friend. Investible capital to do what you want with. Let them raise a stink. I'll keep them so tied up in paperwork you'll be sipping your first vodka before they even finish reading my first round of depositions. Look, I gotta guy that can 'convince' them to see it your way. I give Mike a call and, BAM, you're in business."
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #663 on: August 23, 2021, 11:57:13 AM »
 :lol: read that in Bob Odenkirk's voice :D

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #664 on: August 23, 2021, 07:09:14 PM »

If it's your money, no.  If it's the business' money, absolutely.  If a company I own shares in funds a new startup, the company, and by extension the shareholders, enjoy the successes of that new business.  If the owner of the company takes his own money to start said business, it's got nothing to do with me.

The separate rights for separate people thing is a solid no-no.  There are companies that have different classes of shares, like Google for instance.  They have old school GOOGL, and they have a second stock ticker GOOG.  The difference is GOOG has no voting rights.  That was stated up front before anyone bought any of the GOOG shares, so they knew what they were getting in to.  You can't retroactively take rights away from people after you've taken their money.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 07:13:32 PM by howardf »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #665 on: August 23, 2021, 11:30:25 PM »
The distilery idea was floated years ago. I’m assuming the Carey’s have enough to startup on their own. Their brewery is 12th largest in the US.

Here is a more recent article with more info:
https://www.wpr.org/node/1840366

Had to laugh at the idea that the investors came up with the idea of the brewery. This is all getting a little too rich. To me it sounds like she’s trying to protect their majority stake, if anything.

Original $25K investment now worth 10M, and they’re the ones suing? :shrug:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:32:54 PM by emerge »

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #666 on: August 24, 2021, 06:34:04 AM »
The distilery idea was floated years ago. I’m assuming the Carey’s have enough to startup on their own. Their brewery is 12th largest in the US.

Here is a more recent article with more info:
https://www.wpr.org/node/1840366

Had to laugh at the idea that the investors came up with the idea of the brewery. This is all getting a little too rich. To me it sounds like she’s trying to protect their majority stake, if anything.

Original $25K investment now worth 10M, and they’re the ones suing? :shrug:

CEO Says Lawsuit Is Retaliation For Not Laying Off Employees During Pandemic

<_< <_< <_< <_<

"I’ve made these people very wealthy and to have lies said is flat out stunning," Deb said.

Wisconsin first, then no handouts, now look how rich I've made these people.  Pure spin.  I didn't realize the investors were from the very beginning, assumed they came along during the huge expansion.  I have a feeling the Carey's are trying to win over the court of public opinion, because actual court is going to go very badly for them.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #667 on: August 24, 2021, 09:44:10 AM »
Her claims do seem like spin, each article has her giving entirely different reasons. Maybe just stick with "they're lying" then back it up with evidence in court. Both sides are spinning, from this second article. Next thing they'll be claiming the brewery concept is their IP and come up with a new lawsuit.

I'm just saying it's entirely possible they could fund a distillery without brewery money. All the misconduct claims will have to be proven. There aren't enough details either way to know yet.

"I’ve made these people very wealthy" Deb said.

This is true though. Nearly a 40K% ROI is a lot. If they had 25K to invest in the early 90's, they were probably already doing ok.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 09:58:01 AM by emerge »

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #668 on: August 24, 2021, 01:57:07 PM »
Her claims do seem like spin, each article has her giving entirely different reasons. Maybe just stick with "they're lying" then back it up with evidence in court. Both sides are spinning, from this second article. Next thing they'll be claiming the brewery concept is their IP and come up with a new lawsuit.

I'm just saying it's entirely possible they could fund a distillery without brewery money. All the misconduct claims will have to be proven. There aren't enough details either way to know yet.

This is true though. Nearly a 40K% ROI is a lot. If they had 25K to invest in the early 90's, they were probably already doing ok.

That's a two way street though.  Vision and money have to come together, you can't get anything done without both.  So another way to look at it was they empowered her to create the business that has paid off handsomely for everyone involved.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #669 on: August 24, 2021, 02:14:12 PM »

That's a two way street though.  Vision and money have to come together, you can't get anything done without both.  So another way to look at it was they empowered her to create the business that has paid off handsomely for everyone involved.

I agree with you there.

As majority owner/stakeholder, Carey still calls the shots and has veto powers, within legal limits. It sounds like the investors don't have creative or even financial control, they just give feedback and receive dividends. Just speculating though, i'm not sure how NG is structured, and this isn't my area of expertise. This lawsuit seems like a retaliation to me, but maybe there was misconduct, who knows. I don't really want to speculate further, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot more to this story.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #670 on: August 25, 2021, 11:01:26 AM »
Woodmans Kenosha had a huge stack of Scream IIPA, looks like that got delivered ahead of the Pear 21 in SE WI. Didn't know it was fresh, otherwise I would've grabbed some. :shrug:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #671 on: September 16, 2021, 10:31:19 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159494535573700&id=46662743699&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile

6 pks of a Dan Carey double decoction Dopplebock for $9 hitting the shelves soon.  :banned: x infinity
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #672 on: September 17, 2021, 03:32:38 AM »
 :banned: :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #673 on: October 09, 2021, 10:35:27 PM »
Gyrator is great.  :banned::rock: Pear 21 sucks. :yuck:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #674 on: October 21, 2021, 03:00:40 PM »
New Glarus is open again! They have 3 R&D's in the Beer Depot!

...and they're only open M-F 10-5. :thumbdown:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #675 on: October 21, 2021, 03:11:08 PM »
New Glarus is open again! They have 3 R&D's in the Beer Depot!

...and they're only open M-F 10-5. :thumbdown:

ISO!!!!!
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #676 on: October 21, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »

:( I just was give 2 Pear 21s
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #677 on: October 21, 2021, 08:56:34 PM »

Some friend  :hot:

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #678 on: October 24, 2021, 03:04:24 AM »

I thought it was decent at Great Taste, unless I had something different..  :shrug:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #679 on: October 24, 2021, 11:13:35 PM »

I thought it was decent at Great Taste, unless I had something different..  :shrug:

Was it sickly sweet? They have been sweetening and pasteurizing their Thumbprint sour beers for the last few years, not really sure why. Mass appeal I guess. 4-5 disappointments in a row now.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:24:59 AM by emerge »

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #680 on: October 25, 2021, 08:27:28 PM »
Friend of mine was in 'scansin over the weekend and brought me a sixer of Gyrator.  Meeting up Thursday.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #681 on: October 25, 2021, 09:57:14 PM »
Friend of mine was in 'scansin over the weekend and brought me a sixer of Gyrator.  Meeting up Thursday.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #682 on: November 03, 2021, 11:58:12 AM »

Had one last night - deeeeeeeeee-lightful  :banned:
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime