search

Author Topic: New Glarus  (Read 18221 times)

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
Re: New Glarus
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »
And Portland doesn't do that too?  They sure seemed to when I was there.  Even more so then the vibe I get in WI.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2009, 01:28:20 PM »
Why don't you folks take a gander at this list of breweries by state, then we'll talk.

http://www.redozone.addr.com/new.html

Wasn't arguing CA one way or the other, solely against WI being the state of beer.

Though any state that has a Big 3 brewery located there should be auto-eliminated  :P

My point was more that Portland has more breweries per capita then anywhere else in the US.  Sure CA has more but they're also one of the largest states in the US and 36,756,666 people VS WI's tiny 5,627,967.  It'd be pretty sad if they didn't have the most breweries.

Hell, Michigan or Colorado kick Wisconsin's ass.

People who hate lagers are not entitled to an opinion.  :no:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
Why don't you folks take a gander at this list of breweries by state, then we'll talk.

Wasn't arguing CA one way or the other, solely against WI being the state of beer.

Though any state that has a Big 3 brewery located there should be auto-eliminated  :P

My point was more that Portland has more breweries per capita then anywhere else in the US.  Sure CA has more but they're also one of the largest states in the US and 36,756,666 people VS WI's tiny 5,627,967.  It'd be pretty sad if they didn't have the most breweries.

I love me some lager.  Capital please.  Wish we'd see more then just the amber and occasional Autumnal Fire (when in season) on tap around here.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 01:54:07 PM »
Friends,

I believe our beer guru Mr. Daniel Carey was referring to a completely different meaning.

When he said, "Wisconsin. We are the state of beer," it had more to do with a state of mind. A collective consciousness, if you will, that transcends numbers of breweries or beer-per-capita or even quality of beer.

The almighty Mr. Carey understands the collective identity we all share as Wisconsin beer drinkers. We imbibe as we breathe. And, even when our lakes freeze and our grounds harden, we bond through beverages, with beer being the eternal glue that unites us.

In that sense, my fellow beer enthusiasts, Wisconsin is the state of beer.

Thank you for your time.

I thought you always were thinking about cheese?   Ya'll need to make up your minds.
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 03:11:43 PM »
And Portland doesn't do that too?  They sure seemed to when I was there.  Even more so then the vibe I get in WI.

First of all, Portland is a city. Wisconsin is a state. Just wanted to clear that up.

And, having visited Portland three times myself (plus having a WI high school bud who has lived there for a decade) I can say with certainty that Oregon doesn't have the same beer mindset as Wisconsin. I  do enjoy and respect the state's finest city, Portland, but that pocket doesn't carry the rest of the state.

As far as cheese goes, that is also a valued foodstuff here. A wonderful complement to beer, wouldn't you say? No need to choose one over the other. They coexist.

And, since when do Californians use "ya'll"? I lived there from '73 to '76, and I heard many languages and dialects. That one must be a new introduction to the west coast melting pot.   :mellow:

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »
Friends,

I believe our beer guru Mr. Daniel Carey was referring to a completely different meaning.

When he said, "Wisconsin. We are the state of beer," it had more to do with a state of mind. A collective consciousness, if you will, that transcends numbers of breweries or beer-per-capita or even quality of beer.

The almighty Mr. Carey understands the collective identity we all share as Wisconsin beer drinkers. We imbibe as we breathe. And, even when our lakes freeze and our grounds harden, we bond through beverages, with beer being the eternal glue that unites us.

In that sense, my fellow beer enthusiasts, Wisconsin is the state of beer.

Thank you for your time.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I live in a constant state of beer....

Wisconsin = State
beer = consciousness

In Wisconsin, beer is something akin to our identity....along with cheese and brats.  Severstad nailed the landing on this one.

Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »

First of all, Portland is a city. Wisconsin is a state. Just wanted to clear that up.

And, having visited Portland three times myself (plus having a WI high school bud who has lived there for a decade) I can say with certainty that Oregon doesn't have the same beer mindset as Wisconsin. I  do enjoy and respect the state's finest city, Portland, but that pocket doesn't carry the rest of the state.

As far as cheese goes, that is also a valued foodstuff here. A wonderful complement to beer, wouldn't you say? No need to choose one over the other. They coexist.

And, since when do Californians use "ya'll"? I lived there from '73 to '76, and I heard many languages and dialects. That one must be a new introduction to the west coast melting pot.   :mellow:

I'm a Californian, I have no rules to define me.  I can do what ever the hell I want!

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
  • DO NOT TALK BAD ABOUT SOCCER! SERIOUS BUSINESS!
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2009, 08:19:14 PM »

People who are misinformed should keep it shut...

Link to me saying I HATE lagers? I don't prefer them, and since we are spoiled, why would I drink what I don't prefer?
All your brews are belong to me

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2009, 08:22:20 PM »

People who hate Oktoberfests are not entitled to an opinion.  :no:

Link to me saying I HATE lagers? I don't prefer them, and since we are spoiled, why would I drink what I don't prefer?
Is this better?
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2009, 08:25:20 PM »

Is this better?

Missing a link to me ever saying I HATE any beer.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »

Is this better?

I've seen it.  You've said it. 

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2009, 08:38:30 PM »

hater.   <_<

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »

Is this better?

Bzzzt!

http://thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

I do hate a lot (although half of the finds were wHATEver). Only thing close was me mockingly agreeing with a  :yes: to a quote.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »

Is this better?

Bzzzt!

I do hate a lot (although half of the finds were wHATEver). Only thing close was me mockingly agreeing with a  :yes: to a quote.
This?
http://thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php/topic,3.msg75385.html#msg75385
Hardly seems to be mocking. More that you are agreeing to being a Lager hater.

Rebuttal? :coffee:
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2009, 09:30:50 PM »

Is this better?

Bzzzt!

This?
http://thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php/topic,3.msg75385.html#msg75385
Hardly seems to be mocking. More that you are agreeing to being a Lager hater.

Rebuttal? :coffee:

Like I said, it was mocking...  :shrug:

why would I rebuttal when I already stated before your "find" that that qoute was a mock?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2009, 06:35:56 AM »

why would I rebuttal when I already stated before your "find" that that qoute was a mock?
You're lying to yourself. Let the hate flow through you.

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:39 AM »

You're lying to yourself. Let the hate flow through you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »
 :lol: :thumbup: :yes:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2009, 09:17:05 AM »

Iced Barley Wine
"Some people paint, some sing, others write… I brew". -Daniel Carey

A few times a year we will cut Dan loose... :blah: :blah: :blah: ...no promises to ever brew this style again.

English aristocracy flaunted their wealth saving barley wines for exclusive friends. Our Iced Barley Wine is an intense brew of 28.5 degrees Plato OG. Frozen in the cellars over a powerful twelve week fermentation. You hold an elegant riot of bittersweet sherry and dark fruit earthy notes. Warm and expansive it will fill your senses. Great for contemplative sipping now or lay down for an elegant occasion with friends.

Style Barley Wine
Flavor Riot of bittersweet sherry & dark fruit earthy notes
Available in 4-packs and cases
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 28.5 degrees Plato OG is roughly 13%  :drunk:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »

Iced Barley Wine

A few times a year we will cut Dan loose... :blah: :blah: :blah: ...no promises to ever brew this style again.

English aristocracy flaunted their wealth saving barley wines for exclusive friends. Our Iced Barley Wine is an intense brew of 28.5 degrees Plato OG. Frozen in the cellars over a powerful twelve week fermentation. You hold an elegant riot of bittersweet sherry and dark fruit earthy notes. Warm and expansive it will fill your senses. Great for contemplative sipping now or lay down for an elegant occasion with friends.

Style Barley Wine
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 28.5 degrees Plato OG is roughly 13%  :drunk:

DO WANT. :wub:

Offline Mar

• Double IPA
  • Lost in bass
    • Visionary Urban Tactics
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2009, 01:48:50 PM »

Iced Barley Wine

Style Barley Wine

"Beer - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."
- Jack Kerouac

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »
hmm any sightings yet?
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »
Thoughts on the Crack'd Wheat? No reviews here yet.
I'm drinking one right now and the jury's still out. The hops seem to be a bit much killing the Wheatiness (the what? :blink:) that makes NG so great. The Banana/clove aromas and flavors are way overshadowed by the bitterness and aromas of the Amarillo hops. If I was drinking this expecting a Pale Ale it might be a different story. But for a Wheat from NG, I have higher expectations. I think this will be a good one for summer- it is refreshing- but first impressions are unimpressed. Good but not :pickle:.

Now to copy/paste this to my review...

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »
Thoughts on the Crack'd Wheat? No reviews here yet.
I'm drinking one right now and the jury's still out. The hops seem to be a bit much killing the Wheatiness (the what? :blink:) that makes NG so great. The Banana/clove aromas and flavors are way overshadowed by the bitterness and aromas of the Amarillo hops. If I was drinking this expecting a Pale Ale it might be a different story. But for a Wheat from NG, I have higher expectations. I think this will be a good one for summer- it is refreshing- but first impressions are unimpressed. Good but not :pickle:.

Now to copy/paste this to my review...

i after having a few of these so far this week i think i have almost the opposite impression of the bottles i have had. The hops on mine are much more muted even in the aroma.  I'm getting strong banana and intense sweetness at least from the bottle currently in front of me. I do seem to recall more hop flavor from other bottles but I'm wondering if that isn't just the temp(the other bottles i have had started at fridge temp well this is just chilled a small amount) muting the Wheatiness allowing the hops to take more of a center stage. I imagine the flavors will become much more consistant as the year goes on and it wouldn't surprise me if there is a wide variance in these first few batches. But as this bottle stands it reminds me of a slightly bitterer version of dancing man.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
Coming in March.

Black Wheat

Our Black Wheat arrives to relieve the bleak bore of Wisconsin's winter. Rich and chewy this bottle conditioned weiss is bursting with Midwestern wheat, oats, rye and finished by malted barley. This style is a rare gem even in the Black Forests of Bavaria. We brew it now as an accompaniment to meaty feasts or to sip near a roaring fire.

Expect this beer to pour the deepest black body topped by an opulent head of lip smacking foam. Roasted chocolate and toasted caramel notes brim over the top. Lavish spice aromas of clove and cinnamon are promoted naturally by the yeast we import especially for this most individual of brews. While some find comfort in a familiar glass, this brew will satisfy the bold explorer who dares to be...

Style Weiss
Flavor Roasted chocolate and toasted caramel
Alcohol 5.75%
Available in 6 packs, Cases, 1/2 Barrels and 1/4 Barrels

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
New Glarus Brewing Co. has recently been given the Shared Savings Award for energy conservation and being green. If you would like to read more about this honor, just check our links under 'New Glarus Brewing Co. Recognized for Energy-Efficiency Achievements'. Cheers!!

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 01:45:43 PM »
Anyone heard word on the Imperial Saison yet?  This one should be interesting.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »

Dancing Man Bavarian Hefeweizen & the Unplugged Imperial Saison are both finishing up their secondary fermentations in the bottle.  They should be released in ~ 1 week.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »

Dancing Man Bavarian Hefeweizen & the Unplugged Imperial Saison are both finishing up their secondary fermentations in the bottle and one barrel.  They should be released in ~ 1 week.

Fixed :pickle: :excited: :pickle: :excited:

Offline decoman

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 08:45:30 PM »

Dancing Man Bavarian Hefeweizen & the Unplugged Imperial Saison are both finishing up their secondary fermentations in the bottle.  They should be released in ~ 1 week.

Those sound great.. Hopefully when I am passing thru there in June they will still be around... drinking crack'd wheat now!
hey grammar police, fuck you :bird: Swabs is an Assclown

Offline orbitalr0x

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
  • No sir.......I don't like it.
    • For The Love Of Beer
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2009, 09:49:18 PM »
Any idea if Imperial Saison is out yet??

Not like I need another excuse to drive back up to Wisco.  ;D
It's better to regret something you have done, than it is to regret something you haven't done.

howardf says: it's rare that i don't have my cock in my hand, but whatever

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2009, 10:10:17 PM »

As long as you have June 25th on your calendar, you'll be fine.  Stop at Discount for me on your way through Wisconsin, up to the UP. 
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2009, 10:11:03 PM »
Not yet at Riley's, but I bet it would be there this weekend or the next.

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Barleywine
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »

Per the Careys -- as of Monday night, it was in distributors' hands. 

:ticktock:

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2009, 02:04:56 PM »

Per the Careys -- as of Monday night, it was in distributors' hands. 

:ticktock:

So, what new beers did you sample with those two the other night?

Offline nchrist

• Quadrupel
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
Missed this the first time around...

Quote from: Crack'd Wheat Label
Wisconsin. We are the state of beer.
Yeah, that's right :rock:

Pretty sure Oregon has ya beat on that one.

Pretty sure the Careys left Oregon to start their brewery in the State of Beer. :cheers: :banned:

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2009, 07:22:24 PM »

if you go.. I will like to place an Order :)

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2009, 11:24:11 AM »
I've heard this beer is phenomenal.

Offline Golden2wenty1

• Double IPA
  • Local Milk Person
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »
I've heard this beer is phenomenal.

You heard right.  :banned:
We all know there is no soy milk because there is no soy titty, IS there!?

Offline orbitalr0x

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
  • No sir.......I don't like it.
    • For The Love Of Beer
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »
ME WANT.

Time for a trip to Wisco I guess.
It's better to regret something you have done, than it is to regret something you haven't done.

howardf says: it's rare that i don't have my cock in my hand, but whatever

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
ME WANT.

Time for a trip to Wisco I guess.

I've got my order in for when my inlaws are down next weekend.  I hope they bring a case!

Offline decoman

• Barleywine
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
how long will it be out? I will passing thru WI in June and plan on stopping at NG as well.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »
Uff-da Bock has been discontinued. :(

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
About five months ago... :unsure:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2009, 11:24:45 AM »

Oh.  Well it still sucks.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »

Oh.  Well it still sucks.
Yup. I still see it around but it's close to gone. I think we have a six-pack left.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »
New Glarus adding a new Unplugged kegging line.

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/Headlines.cfm?NewsID=103

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
Interview with New Glarus' Dan Carey

http://newglarusbrewing.com/Headlines.cfm?NewsID=109