search

Author Topic: New Glarus  (Read 17753 times)

Online flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: New Glarus
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »
It's funny... on a certain website awhile ago, people were like "why doesn't New Glarus make barrel-aged beers?" and "Dan only likes making session beers"  and I just had to :facepalm: :killmenow:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #253 on: April 26, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
Any leaks on what the rest of the Thumbprint series will be? :coffee:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #254 on: April 26, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »

Or what the newly bottled R&D Beer is?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
Or what the newly bottled R&D Beer is?
Inquiring minds want to know :coffee:

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #256 on: May 12, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »
Maybe this has been brought up before, but anybody know if/when New Glarus started bottle dating?

I picked up sixers of Blacktop and Dancing Man today ... the Blacktop bottle have printing on the shoulder of the bottle that seems to be a Julian date stamp:

10:51

The Dancing Man bottles don't have any print on them.

Online JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #257 on: May 12, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
Maybe this has been brought up before, but anybody know if/when New Glarus started bottle dating?

I picked up sixers of Blacktop and Dancing Man today ... the Blacktop bottle have printing on the shoulder of the bottle that seems to be a Julian date stamp:

At least a year now.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #258 on: May 12, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »

At least a year now.

only on certain beers, or on all of them?

Online JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #259 on: May 12, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »

At least a year now.

I think only some. I don't recall seeing dates on any Unplugged/Thumbprint or some seasonals. My guess would be is that only the new brewery bottling line has capability to date. :shrug:
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #260 on: May 12, 2012, 05:43:32 PM »

At least a year now.

I think only some. I don't recall seeing dates on any Unplugged/Thumbprint or some seasonals. My guess would be is that only the new brewery bottling line has capability to date. :shrug:

good thinkin'

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »
Just saw a tweet with a link to New Glarus' facebook page.  Since I do not have a facebook account, I could not read it.  However, it said they mentioned a dedicated lambic cellar in the post  :jawdrop:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2012, 10:35:06 AM »
Just saw a tweet with a link to New Glarus' facebook page.  Since I do not have a facebook account, I could not read it.  However, it said they mentioned a dedicated lambic cellar in the post  :jawdrop:

Yep, and posted pictures of Foudres.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »

New Glarus Brewing Co.
More Oak tanks arrived today! In 1994 we began using oak. New Glarus had some of the first oak vessels since Prohibition...now behold the beginnings of our dedicated Lambic celler!

:pickle:

Offline Mark

• Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »

New Glarus Brewing Co.
More Oak tanks arrived today! In 1994 we began using oak. New Glarus had some of the first oak vessels since Prohibition...now behold the beginnings of our dedicated Lambic celler!

:goodposting:

Also, dedicated Lambic cellar:pickle:   :giggity:

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »

New Glarus Brewing Co.

Also, dedicated American Wild/Coolship Ale cellar:pickle:   :giggity:

FTFY  ;)
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline Mark

• Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »

New Glarus Brewing Co.

Also, dedicated American Wild/Coolship Ale cellar:pickle:   :giggity:

FTFY  ;)

Semantics!

...but I agree.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
Idk, who is to say it isn't lambic... with a coolship, foudres, etc? There's no AOC on airborne wild yeasts in the Senne Valley :shrug:
Generally speaking, American Wild Ale = inoculated, Lambic = spontaneously fermented.

The debate is understandable, and there are strict guidelines for brewing/aging lambic, but the semantics regarding the location of origin are pretty minute, imho. As long as americans are staying true to tradition and not taking shortcuts, who is to say it's not Lambic?

Offline skinnyguy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »
Idk, who is to say it isn't lambic... with a coolship, foudres, etc? There's no AOC on airborne wild yeasts in the Senne Valley :shrug:
Generally speaking, American Wild Ale = inoculated, Lambic = spontaneously fermented.

The debate is understandable, and there are strict guidelines for brewing/aging lambic, but the semantics regarding the location of origin are pretty minute, imho. As long as americans are staying true to tradition and not taking shortcuts, who is to say it's not Lambic?

Agreed. There is less spontaneity to Belgian lambics than the romantics in the U.S. would like to believe. They have years of bugs imbedded in the wooden walls of their breweries, so it's not exactly "spontaneous," which is why they can have a reasonable amount of consistency (in addition to blending).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #269 on: June 11, 2012, 12:51:46 PM »

Agreed. There is less spontaneity to Belgian lambics than the romantics in the U.S. would like to believe. They have years of bugs imbedded in the wooden walls of their breweries, so it's not exactly "spontaneous," which is why they can have a reasonable amount of consistency (in addition to blending).
Good points, I guess it's more about claiming "terroir" than anything. That kind of complex "ecosystem" that lends essential "house character" sounds hard, if not impossible to replicate in a new facility. Any biology folks want to confirm/deny?

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »

I don't really see how that equates to less spontaneity.  Not physically adding yeast by hand = spontaneity.  People are mistakenly calling a lot of the Russian River stuff "wild" but they're finishing with "domesticated" Brett, Champagne, and wine yeasts.  They're still good don't get me wrong, but they are hardly wild.  I have yet to have an American wild that even comes close to a lambic in any sense.  I did comment at BunsFest that I thought Upland's Sour Reserve was getting there.

I still think that lambics are at least deserving of token AOC.  The Senne/Pajottenland area has traditionally produced the beer for how long now?  I don't think it's a fair shake for anyone to equate an American-style lambic to a true lambic as they're really not similar at all.  At least the American (CA) wine community could put up a good fight because they were at least using the same grapes when the Judgement of Paris came around in 1976.  But we all see how that turned out so  :shrug:

At any rate, here is an interesting RB thread on the subject as well: http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/the-american-lambic-predicament_203535.htm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:47:28 PM by Javit »
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »
At any rate, here is an interesting RB thread on the subject as well: http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/the-american-lambic-predicament_203535.htm
Didn't that OP used to post here? Thanks for linking the thread.

I guess my point before was that if an American brewer can successfully replicate Belgian lambic, who's to say its not lambic, and instead "wild ale"?

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »

I guess my point before was that if an American brewer can successfully replicate Belgian lambic, who's to say its not lambic, and instead "wild ale"?

Yeah he used to.  I think your point hinges on the notion that American brewers have the capability to biologically reproduce the beers of the Senne.  I just don't think they can based on the biology of the yeast/bugs, but I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back that up.  I would be interested in hearing if that's a possibility. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:45:27 AM by Javit »
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline skinnyguy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »

Yeah he used to.  I think your point hinges on the notion that American brewers have the capability to biologically reproduce the beers of the Senne.  I just don't think they can based on the biology of the yeast/bugs, but I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back that up.  I would be interested in hearing if that's a possibility.

I agree with you there. I think the cherry orchards in which the traditional lambics were produced cannot exactly be replicated here. Though if someone has access to a big cherry orchard, they should give it a shot. I just don't think the current lambics being produced in Belgium are very spontaneous (i get your point about the definition of spontaneous fermentation, and should probably be saying "wild" in this discussion instead). Some breweries even moved the wooden walls when the brewery moved to preserve the same blend of bugs. They certainly do have a more traditional approach than adding the bugs by hand though.

The whole lambic discussion is just like champagne, bordeux, pilsner, etc. Can you exactly match the conditions in those places? Probably not. Should you be able to label your product with those names if it's not brewed in the original region?  :shrug: New Glarus supposedly used some spontaneous fermentation on their brews, but since they aren't in the Senne valley....

All beer styles developed under certain conditions, and most current modes of production probably do not match those original situations. IPAs are not being shipped to India anymore, hardly anybody is using the old water sources or storing in barrels. I can see how the lambic term has endured longer because their methods are still much more traditional.

I absolutely agree that the term "wild" shouldn't really be applied to the U.S. beers, and I would say it would apply to very few Belgian beers as well. It's all semantics though, if the beer is good, I don't really care what the label is. I like that you can brew almost every style anywhere, and are not as tied down to locales as winemakers are.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
If there's anyone i'd trust to honor tradition, it's New Glarus. This is a big endeavor, and I hope they hugely succeed with it.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #275 on: June 13, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
If there's anyone i'd trust to honor tradition, it's New Glarus. This is a big endeavor, and I hope they hugely succeed with it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Definitely something I want to find out more about from Dan at the GTOTM.  Love the idea of it, no matter what they call it.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »

Message me and I'll tell you what's in their Belgian "fruit" beers.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Online JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #277 on: June 13, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
How about you just message me with the answer. :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #278 on: June 13, 2012, 11:22:54 PM »

What, sugar? They never claim those to be lambic ???

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #279 on: June 14, 2012, 05:57:54 AM »

I don't care if it's Smucker's jelly, they're tasty as hell.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #280 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »

is this a state secret?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #281 on: June 14, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »

Raspberry Tart I dig, Belgian Red not as much. At the old riverside brewery these were aged in oak foeders, not sure if still the case. Still tasty regardless.

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #282 on: June 14, 2012, 09:45:14 AM »

Pretty much exactly what I told Javit in chat when he was mentioning that they use apple juice to make these beers.  I honestly do not care.  I like to drink beers that taste good and I do not really give a shit if perfectly proper techniques for a style are used.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #284 on: June 26, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
YUM
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »
YUM

Goodmf'ing post!  :thumbup:  Should still be some on the shelves in August as well!  :pickle:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #287 on: July 20, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #288 on: July 20, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
Sounds like Sour Brown coming up.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #289 on: July 20, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »
Sounds like Sour Brown coming up.
O RLY?? :o

Make that: :pickle: :pickle:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #291 on: July 20, 2012, 10:50:08 AM »
Enigma?!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #292 on: July 20, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
Enigma?!
They did a legit oud bruin called "Sour Brown Ale" maybe 6-7 years ago? Different and more sour than the recent versions of Enigma :pickle:

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:31 AM »
I still want to know what they were filling in the 500ml bottles a couple of months ago.
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
New thumbprint is Saison
http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/OurBeers/Beer/saison

The Saison hasn't shown up here  - is this still out on the shelves in other places?

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #295 on: July 20, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »
New thumbprint is Saison

The Saison hasn't shown up here  - is this still out on the shelves in other places?
There was a bunch at woodmans east last weekend.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
New thumbprint is Saison

Surprisingly weve had it here since last Thursday.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
New thumbprint is Saison

Surprisingly weve had it here since last Thursday.

Maybe it's just slow getting here then.  I thought it had been out for a while now.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
I still want to know what they were filling in the 500ml bottles a couple of months ago.
Hoping they release it for the GT :fingerscrossed: