search

Author Topic: New Glarus  (Read 17735 times)

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
New Glarus
« on: July 10, 2007, 11:32:11 AM »
July Release....

Dancing Man Wheat

If you dream of wheat this brew will get your toes tapping. Since 1995 we have brewed Bavarian style wheat beers exclusively for the same great state that grows and malts our own Wisconsin wheat. In a world full of posers this is a true hefe-weizen naturally 100% bottle fermented and hazy.

Expect this beer to cascade effervescent into your glass. The rich spicy clove and cinnamon notes will greet your nose while sweet fruit and wheat kisses your lips.

Lick the foam from your mouth and admit sometimes you just gotta get up and dance.

Offline MikeWeiss

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • IPA
Re: New Glarus
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:01:24 AM »
November Releases...

Organic Revolution Ale

Since 1516 Brewers have led the purity revolution. They mandated only four natural ingredients be used to brew beer. This Reinheistgebot law was the first ever food purity regulation and New Glarus Brewmaster Dan Carey has consistently respected our palates by employing yeast, water, barley and hops to explore a wide spectrum of flavor.

Today Dan pushes the purity envelope by using Organic Hallertau Hops from Germany with Wisconsin organically malted barley to create a complex and assertively hoppy golden ale. This beer is even natrually carbonated, 100% bottle fermented means you can expect a flavor celebration to dance cleanly across your palate. Raise your glass and toast to Wisconsin's common sense Revolution

They're also releasing an Unplugged beer, which is a Rauch Beer, in November, but there isn't a description of it on their website yet.
"Well then get an AIDS test Thompson, cause your wife's a dude" - Mr. Garrison

"Once you jack off to Japanese girls puking in each other's mouths you can't exactly go back to Playboy." - Randy Marsh

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=726338

Crafted with success
New Glarus Brewing Co. builds 2nd brewery, bucking trends on both ends of beer industry
===============

this made me laugh:

"The Careys expanded outside Wisconsin, to Illinois, in 1998. But that venture in one of the nation's largest beer markets was short-lived.

The expansion into Illinois made it more difficult to meet growing demand from their Wisconsin customers. Also, Deb said, Illinois is "a dirty market. Everybody's got their hand out."

Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:58:24 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=726338

Crafted with success
New Glarus Brewing Co. builds 2nd brewery, bucking trends on both ends of beer industry
===============

this made me laugh:

"The Careys expanded outside Wisconsin, to Illinois, in 1998. But that venture in one of the nation's largest beer markets was short-lived.

The expansion into Illinois made it more difficult to meet growing demand from their Wisconsin customers. Also, Deb said, Illinois is "a dirty market. Everybody's got their hand out."

:lol: Tell it like it is!!!
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
I just checked the website. The Unplugged scheduled for September was dropped :thumbdown:
That leaves July-Berliner Weisse and November- Apple Ale
http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/BeerSchedule.cfm

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
I'm heading to the the new brewery scheduled to open on Friday next week. Pics look awesome! Has anyone been there lately? I was thinking about visiting the old brewery but wasn't sure if it would be worth it anymore if everything worth seeing is moved to the new one.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »
I forgot to grab my camera so I'll use New Glarus' pics. Wow, where to start. We pull into the town of New Glarus around 12:30. The fiesta was supposed to begin at 12:00 (fashionably late) and come to the old brewery. Ok, now to find the new one. It's New Glarus how hard can it be right? So we keep driving past the old one with our eyes open and come to the highest point in the town. Perched on top is a stone building overlooking everything. Very cool! Now how the hell do we get there? We come to what seems like it would be the enterance to find a NG sign but it read "Waste Disposal" or something along those lines. Ok we'll keep going. We come across a second driveway with another New Glarus Sign. I don't remember what else it read since we just assumed that was where to enter. Well, that's the employee enterance. We come up to the back of the building and there is one door in the middle of the building. I guess we go in here. the four of us enter and are sitting in the bottling line. At this point we say "F### it" and walk around like we know where we're going.

We don't see anyone. Walk past the bottling line, past the tanks and up to the copper kettles. Finally see somebody. Eight or so people at computers monitoring the brewing. Now we were given the impression that people were going to be showing us around.  :no: We ask where we're supposed to be.  :shrug: Ok, fine. Me: "So what are you guys brewing right now? (pointing to the tanks) Him again: :shrug: Ok then. We keep walking and find the tent outside in this area. The tent still isn't up. Fine, the weather was crappy, I understand. We take this time to grab a few beers (Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Naked, Snowshoe, Road Slush, Organic. No IPA or anything "special" for the occasion)and keep looking around. Empty room, empty room, empty room with shelves. I think back to the pictures on the site...hmm this looks like the Gift Shop but I don't see any "gifts" anywhere. It still looks like the picture online. In fact, the whole place still looked like these pics still.

So, whatever. We keep walking around on our own and hey, there's Dan Carey. "Hello Mr. Carey"... :bow: And he mumbles a "Hi" and blows past us. :nutkick: No big deal, seems busy. We get back to the tent for some brats & pretzels and Deb Carey is there. We all chit-chat for a bit and she goes on her way. After a while we start to realize that this is it. No Dan Carey to greet and talk or anyone to show us around. After a few hours we take off. But first a stop at the old place.

Hey look, a shop. I check out the beer selection with some old Unplugged bottles displayed and my heart skips a beat when I see Symposium Eisbock, Triple, Dan's Best Bitter, Black Wheat..just empty bottles-Damn!! Nothing but the usual beers. But I was expecting things to be a bit cheaper at the brewery.  :no: Six-packs were about $.50 more than I see them for here and the large fruit beers were about $1.00 more than I see. <_<

So, needless to say, I was a bit disappointed after driving 3 hours expecting to see a finished brewery and have an opportunity to talk with Dan. I did poke around to see what may be on the horizon and saw bags of Smoked Malt and Coffee.

Offline nase

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:35:27 PM »
Breweries price highly on purpose for tourists and not to undercut their customers (store-owners), no?
[urbanhack] 12:17 am: i worked golf coruse maintenance in high school and used to masterbate to the women's league in the woods

bakes 12:05 am: I want to be under the desk munching away and see if they can still deliver the news with a straight face

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »
The next Unplugged beer, scheduled for September.  First time I've heard about this one ....

Bohemian Lager

In 1985 before The Wall fell, and just after the birth of our youngest daughter, Dan followed his Siren’s Call making the true Brewer’s pilgrimage to the birthplace of modern beer; Pilsen. Inspired by the noble brew he scribbled notes; triple decoction, 100% Czech Moravian malt, fermentation in unlined oak tanks, generous amounts of Saaz Hops, Krausening and a three month ice cold lager. An elegant masterpiece of complexity lost to change in the Czech Republic. We resurrect and invest, by brewing without compromise, that exact Old World recipe and this is the brew - Bohemian Lager.

Style: Lager
Flavor: Elegant and complex
Available in 4 packs and Cases

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
The next Unplugged beer, scheduled for September.  First time I've heard about this one ....

Bohemian Lager

In 1985 before The Wall fell, and just after the birth of our youngest daughter, Dan followed his Siren’s Call making the true Brewer’s pilgrimage to the birthplace of modern beer; Pilsen. Inspired by the noble brew he scribbled notes; triple decoction, 100% Czech Moravian malt, fermentation in unlined oak tanks, generous amounts of Saaz Hops, Krausening and a three month ice cold lager. An elegant masterpiece of complexity lost to change in the Czech Republic. We resurrect and invest, by brewing without compromise, that exact Old World recipe and this is the brew - Bohemian Lager.

What means "unlined oak tanks"?
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 03:56:37 PM »

Bohemian Lager

What means "unlined oak tanks"?

:shrug:  An oak tank without a lining?

Offline d00d

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
Grr. Took the New Glarus tour when I was there for the Taste. Their new brewery freaking rocks!!!  It's shiny with all that stainless steel.  Dan and Deb mentioned that they are probably never going to distribute outside of WI.  So, you guys enjoy your unplugged bavarian lager, and I'll sit here and pout!   :cry:  Maybe they'll bring some to the GABF?

I guess this is why you guys started the beer trading section of the forum?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »
Just like last year.
My vote is in for Tailwagger and Imperial IPA

Tell Us What You Want.
Our customers are tremendously important to us and we are asking for your help. Please let us know which beers or styles of beer you would like to see on our 2009 Brewing Schedule.

Year Round beers will stay the same: Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Organic Revolution Ale, Hop Hearty IPA, Uff-Da Bock.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 09:30:31 AM »
Just like last year.

Tell Us What You Want.
Our customers are tremendously important to us and we are asking for your help. Please let us know which beers or styles of beer you would like to see on our 2009 Brewing Schedule.

Year Round beers will stay the same: Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Organic Revolution Ale, Hop Hearty IPA, Uff-Da Bock.

Being the stout head that I am, I put in my vote for a Russian Imperial Stout.  Next time, I'll vote for a Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout. 

I'd like to see how they would do with something that so many other brewers are rocking.
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 10:18:58 AM »
Just like last year.

Tell Us What You Want.

Being the stout head that I am, I put in my vote for a Russian Imperial Stout.  Next time, I'll vote for a Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout. 

I'd like to see how they would do with something that so many other brewers are rocking.

I believe you can vote for multiple beers in one shot. I just put commas between Black Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, Double IPA, Baltic Porter, and I hit enter. We'll see how it goes ...

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 10:57:55 AM »
Just like last year.

Tell Us What You Want.

Being the stout head that I am, I put in my vote for a Russian Imperial Stout. 

ditto

though i get the feeling they aren't going to do a beer that big anytime soon

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:17:58 AM »

ditto

Probably not.  Of course, if they keep hearing about it, maybe they'll eventually get to one.  I bet Dan could brew one hell of a RIS if he wanted to...

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »

ditto

Probably not.  Of course, if they keep hearing about it, maybe they'll eventually get to one.  I bet Dan could brew one hell of a RIS if he wanted to...
Umm...

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »
Cherry Stout needs to return.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 01:52:49 PM »
Cherry Stout needs to return.
Wasn't impressed by that one.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »
I know a couple people that love it, me included.  It's truly a love/hate beer.  Blair from Hamilton's in San Diego says it's his favorite beer period.  I know Skye loves is too.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »

ditto

Umm...

???

wtf

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 03:57:47 PM »

ditto

Umm...

???

wtf

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »

ditto

Umm...

???

wtf

nice photoshop job <_<

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 04:55:30 PM »
Furl,
You don't remember that one? It was not impressive (at least not by New Glarus standards).

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/new-glarus-unplugged-imperial-stout/28538/

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »
not at all. though i've only been a beer nerd for about 3-4 years.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 05:01:38 PM »
not at all. though i've only been a beer nerd for about 3-4 30 years.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 10:21:34 PM »
Furl,
You don't remember that one? It was not impressive (at least not by New Glarus standards).

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/new-glarus-unplugged-imperial-stout/28538/

:excited:

When the hell did they brew that?  I've been geekin' since 2003 and I don't ever recall seeing that one.  If it was brewed in 2003 or later, it's entirely possible I missed it because it wasn't available in Appleton.  Back in '03, there wasn't much available in Appleton, at all.

[edit]  Damn. the first review was 11/03 but there are new reviews all the way through 2008.  Like Furley said...WTF?

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2008, 02:15:57 PM »
Sheesh, do Bison and I have to teach you boys everything?

Pretty sure I got mine at Club Liquor a few years ago (2004). Only bought one 4-pack. That was enough.

Maybe Carey knows his weaknesses, and he sticks to stuff he can nail.

Huh, huh ... stuff he can nail.

:pickle:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »
I didn't hear of this from my guy but it was posted at BA and please sweet jesus let it be true. Next year:
Black Wheat (Seasonal)
Yokel (Seasonal)
Stone Soup (Year Round)
Eisbock (Unplugged)
other unplugged: ice barleywine (holy MF Sh## :o)
olde english porter
imperial saison

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
I didn't hear of this from my guy but it was posted at BA and please sweet jesus let it be true. Next year:
Black Wheat (Seasonal)
Yokel (Seasonal)
Stone Soup (Year Round)
Eisbock (Unplugged)
other unplugged: ice barleywine (holy MF Sh## :o)
olde english porter
imperial saison

ISO everything made by new glarus haha. Those sound amazing.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »
Just read this in the thread as well
R & D is an additional line that will be starting next year. They will be brewery only releases. So we're looking at a bunch of awesome new beers coming out of New Glarus next year.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:33:52 PM by jj21 »

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 01:17:38 PM »
Ok, I have the final release calendar now.

Year Round
Spotted Cow (duh), Fat Squirrel, Organic Pale, IPA, Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart
Beginning in February Year Round- Stone Soup, TBD

Seasonals
Coffee Stout- Jan-March
Black Wheat- March-May
Dancing Man Wheat- May-July
Yokel- July-Sept
Staghorn- Sept-November
Snowshoe- Nov-Dec
Naked- May-Sept

Unplugged
Iced Barleywine- February
Imperial Saison- May
Olde English- August
Eisbock- Nov

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »

Year Round

Seasonals
Coffee Stout- Jan-March
Black Wheat- March-May
Yokel- July-Sept
Staghorn- Sept-November
Snowshoe- Nov-Dec
Naked- May-Sept

Unplugged
Imperial Saison- May
Olde English- August
Eisbock- Nov

Imperial saison....that could be a disaster. 

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Barleywine
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »

Year Round

Seasonals
Coffee Stout- Jan-March
Black Wheat- March-May
Yokel- July-Sept
Staghorn- Sept-November
Snowshoe- Nov-Dec
Naked- May-Sept

Unplugged
Imperial Saison- May
Olde English- August
Eisbock- Nov

I thought the same thing!

Also, Olde English??  Are they really and truly going to take a stab at malt liquor?

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »

Year Round

Seasonals
Coffee Stout- Jan-March
Black Wheat- March-May
Yokel- July-Sept
Staghorn- Sept-November
Snowshoe- Nov-Dec
Naked- May-Sept

Unplugged
Imperial Saison- May
Olde English- August
Eisbock- Nov

Also, Olde English??  Are they really and truly going to take a stab at malt liquor?

I think someone else identified it as a porter

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »

Year Round

Seasonals
Coffee Stout- Jan-March
Black Wheat- March-May
Yokel- July-Sept
Staghorn- Sept-November
Snowshoe- Nov-Dec
Naked- May-Sept

Unplugged
Imperial Saison- May
Olde English- August
Eisbock- Nov

oops
Olde English Porter :bag:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 12:36:24 PM »
Crack'd Wheat
New year-round offering starting next month
Crack'd Wheat

Do not waste time attempting to box this brew into some esoteric guide o'style. This is Dan's bold creation. You hold the international marriage of a sophisticated Bavarian Hefeweiss and an assertive American Pale Ale. Amarillo dry hopping drives Wisconsin Red Wheat. Traditional open top fermentation cultivates our proprietary Bavarian Weiss yeast in our own Wheat Beer Cellars. Absolutely 100% natural bottle conditioned. This is a living beer.

Expect to pour a thick creamy head into your glass. Savor the fierce onslaught of clove, cinnamon, and citrus nose. Our very popular Imperial Weizen ratchets down for the session. Drink to adventure and friends in Wisconsin. We are the state of beer.
Yeah, that's right :rock:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
Pretty sure Oregon has ya beat on that one.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »

Fail.

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Barleywine
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »

Offline Duckboy

• Quadrupel
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »

Fail.

THANK YOU
FAIL

Nice try though; maybe if you combined MN with WI, I'd concede the point.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »
Why don't you folks take a gander at this list of breweries by state, then we'll talk.

http://www.redozone.addr.com/new.html

Offline Duckboy

• Quadrupel
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
Why don't you folks take a gander at this list of breweries by state, then we'll talk.

Wasn't arguing CA one way or the other, solely against WI being the state of beer.

Though any state that has a Big 3 brewery located there should be auto-eliminated  :P

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »

Wasn't arguing CA one way or the other, solely against WI being the state of beer.

Though any state that has a Big 3 brewery located there should be auto-eliminated  :P

My point was more that Portland has more breweries per capita then anywhere else in the US.  Sure CA has more but they're also one of the largest states in the US and 36,756,666 people VS WI's tiny 5,627,967.  It'd be pretty sad if they didn't have the most breweries.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
  • DO NOT TALK BAD ABOUT SOCCER! SERIOUS BUSINESS!
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »

My point was more that Portland has more breweries per capita then anywhere else in the US.  Sure CA has more but they're also one of the largest states in the US and 36,756,666 people VS WI's tiny 5,627,967.  It'd be pretty sad if they didn't have the most breweries.

Hell, Michigan or Colorado kick Wisconsin's ass.
All your brews are belong to me

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »

Hell, Michigan or Colorado kick Wisconsin's ass.

That they do.

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »
Friends,

I believe our beer guru Mr. Daniel Carey was referring to a completely different meaning.

When he said, "Wisconsin. We are the state of beer," it had more to do with a state of mind. A collective consciousness, if you will, that transcends numbers of breweries or beer-per-capita or even quality of beer.

The almighty Mr. Carey understands the collective identity we all share as Wisconsin beer drinkers. We imbibe as we breathe. And, even when our lakes freeze and our grounds harden, we bond through beverages, with beer being the eternal glue that unites us.

In that sense, my fellow beer enthusiasts, Wisconsin is the state of beer.

Thank you for your time.