Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will permanently redirect to this discord server at 11:59 PM PST on 12/31/22.
Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Who is brewing this weekend?  (Read 32915 times)

Offline SwillBilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Malt Liquor
Re: Who is brewing this weekend?
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »
Brewing my 1st Lager on Saturday.  Munich Dunkel.

Offline MikeWeiss

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • IPA
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:37 PM »
Brewed last weekend with Initiative and some other friends. Made two brews; a remake of our IPA to try to get the flavor better since it smelled really good but lacked in taste last time, and a first attempt at a stout. Brewed in Madison, so I should be able to see how it turned out just in time for New Years.  :banned:
"Well then get an AIDS test Thompson, cause your wife's a dude" - Mr. Garrison

"Once you jack off to Japanese girls puking in each other's mouths you can't exactly go back to Playboy." - Randy Marsh

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »
Me and a friend are going to try out our skills on a batch of Coconut Porter.  Should be interesting.
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Me and a friend are going to try out our skills on a batch of Coconut Porter.  Should be interesting.
Good luck. Whatever you do, don't use toasted flakes in secondary :-X
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »

No good?  I heard if you were going to toast them to only toast like a quarter of them.  I think we'll just use the non-sweetened/non-sulfurized stuff.
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »

No good?  I heard if you were going to toast them to only toast like a quarter of them.  I think we'll just use the non-sweetened/non-sulfurized stuff.
I toasted about 50-75% of them. The oils give you no head and there is a disgusting layer of crap on the top of the bottles. Thankfully it was only four bottles.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Oxymoron

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 04:33:52 PM »
I toasted about 50-75% of them. The oils give you no head and there is a disgusting layer of crap on the top of the bottles. Thankfully it was only four bottles.

A buddy of mine made a great Coconut Porter and toasted the coconut.  He also had a slimy/oily crap on the top.  Basically he racked it three time leaving behind the top layer of crap each time.  Just pulled the racking cane out each time just before the slime.  <enter pull out joke here>  :bag:

Came out great.  I think he won 2nd at Dread Hop competition.  Anywho good luck!

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2008, 08:24:46 AM »
not brewing, but hoping to bottle my xmas ale this weekend.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2008, 08:32:11 AM »
Speaking of Xmas beer, what would you make for people that drink nothing but Bud and Pabst? We're having the in-laws over for Christmas Dinner and my wife thought it would be nice to have something I made. I was excited at first and then I realized the audience it would be for. I don't want to do a pilsner because I still have just under a case that I just brewed a couple of batches ago. Before you say to just use that, I dry hopped it with Saaz leaf and they would hate it. Any ideas or shoud I just tell the wife there isn't enough time?

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2008, 10:20:30 AM »
I'm thinkin' about brewing this weekend.  Would like to make a winter warmer to have ready around January. :)
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 10:42:59 AM »
Speaking of Xmas beer, what would you make for people that drink nothing but Bud and Pabst? We're having the in-laws over for Christmas Dinner and my wife thought it would be nice to have something I made. I was excited at first and then I realized the audience it would be for. I don't want to do a pilsner because I still have just under a case that I just brewed a couple of batches ago. Before you say to just use that, I dry hopped it with Saaz leaf and they would hate it. Any ideas or shoud I just tell the wife there isn't enough time?

I would suggest  an English Bitter or Socttish Mild.  Usually those will ferment fast, are easy drinking and have some flavor.  Just keep it simple.

Actually I had to trick my wifes grandma in order to prove she was bias.  We made a standard US lager and every beer she has tried of mine she ended up not liking as much as her Rolling Rock (ewww).  So I got a bottle of Rolling Rock, poured it for her and asked her opinion.  She did the same eh, and then I showed her what I poured.  She tried to play it off, but ever since then she has been open to some of my beers.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
maybe a cream ale, or a golden ale with some flaked maize in the mash bill

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »

I like spice beers around Christmas time.  Actually, everytime I try Celebration from Sierra Nevada, with all the seasonal imagery and get a freaking hop bomb, I get disappointed.  Bad packaging in my opinion.  So maybe a Belgian Blonde or an ale with spice additions.

Offline culdeus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 07:04:40 PM »
I'm coming out of retirement this weekend.  Maybe.  If not this weekend then soon.

Culdeus - 298
Gator - 284

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2008, 06:07:43 PM »
A buddy of mine and I are going to make a 100% Wheatwine.  We are hoping to get a SG of around 1.100 but 40% of our grist is unmalted hard white wheat that we got for free from CSU so not sure exactly what the extract for that will be.  The rest of the grist will be malted wheat, carawheat and roasted wheat for color (and some rice hulls as well).  Plan on doing an American decoction.  Or at least a modification on that.  Probably do a step infusion with the malted wheat and a triple decoction with the unmalted stuff.  68 IBUs for the hops, hope that isn’t too light.  And a huge starter with the Bell’s yeast strain (we have a few guys in our club who slant different strains).  I love this yeast strain.

Anyone planning on brewing this weekend?

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2008, 06:26:20 PM »
A buddy of mine and I are going to make a 100% Wheatwine.  We are hoping to get a SG of around 1.100 but 40% of our grist is unmalted hard white wheat that we got for free from CSU so not sure exactly what the extract for that will be.  The rest of the grist will be malted wheat, carawheat and roasted wheat for color (and some rice hulls as well).  Plan on doing an American decoction.  Or at least a modification on that.  Probably do a step infusion with the malted wheat and a triple decoction with the unmalted stuff.  68 IBUs for the hops, hope that isn’t too light.  And a huge starter with the Bell’s yeast strain (we have a few guys in our club who slant different strains).  I love this yeast strain.

Sounds like a nice brew.  Should keep you plenty busy!

I'm brewing a smoke beer ... this -> http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1563.html

but I'm also going to add more smoke to the malt using this -> http://www.chuckssmokehouse.com/product_p/527990032.htm

:D

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »

I'm brewing a smoke beer ... this -> http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1563.html

but I'm also going to add more smoke to the malt using this -> http://www.chuckssmokehouse.com/product_p/527990032.htm

Wow should be fun.  Although I have heard that you should wait 2 weeks after you smoke your malts before using them.  Something about an acrid taste thing going on or something.  And if they wait long enough that will go away and the smoke will stay.  Truthfully I wanted to say “BS” as the source of such said statement is a asshat, but I didn’t have anything to disprove, so…good luck!

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »

Wow should be fun.  Although I have heard that you should wait 2 weeks after you smoke your malts before using them.  Something about an acrid taste thing going on or something.  And if they wait long enough that will go away and the smoke will stay.  Truthfully I wanted to say “BS” as the source of such said statement is a asshat, but I didn’t have anything to disprove, so…good luck!

BYO or Zymurgy have an article on Smoke Beers that I'm half way through.  I was proud of myself for finding real beech wood - just like they use in Bamberg. :D  I've used Hickory before and thought it was a little, well, acrid. Good word!

I'm debating setting up a cold smoke rig.  I don't want the heat from the smoker to denature the enzymes in the malts.  It will also be useful if/when I get around to making lox or smoked cheese.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
BYO or Zymurgy have an article on Smoke Beers that I'm half way through.  I was proud of myself for finding real beech wood - just like they use in Bamberg. :D  I've used Hickory before and thought it was a little, well, acrid. Good word!

I'm debating setting up a cold smoke rig.  I don't want the heat from the smoker to denature the enzymes in the malts.  It will also be useful if/when I get around to making lox or smoked cheese.

And in Budweiser. :D
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2008, 07:30:37 AM »

You can use a much higher percentage of Rauchmalt, as long as it's the beechwood stuff from Bamberg.  I brew a recipe with a 10# bag of Rauch and just a few pounds of Munich and Caramunich for a little color/sweetness.  Comes out kind of bacon-y.

Now, if you use home-smoked or (God forbid) peat-smoked, all bets are off.  I haven't tried smoking malt, but I've had a couple samples of beers with over-smoked malt, and it was like drinking from an ashtray, even with only 1/4-1/2 pound in the batch. 

Taste your smoked malt before brewing with it, both the Bamberg and the home-smoked.  That will give you an idea of how smoky the home stuff will be, and guide you on how much to use.

Hope it comes out well.  I :wub: a good Rauchbier.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2008, 07:37:16 AM »

You may run into conversion issues.  I don't think wheat has much in the way of a- or b-amylase enzymes to convert the starch. 

I'd suggest at least a couple of pounds of malted barley, or chew it up like you're making chicha
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »

You may run into conversion issues.  I don't think wheat has much in the way of a- or b-amylase enzymes to convert the starch. 

I'd suggest at least a couple of pounds of malted barley, or chew it up like you're making chicha

Ended up doing the 100% wheatwine with no problems.  We did have some rice hulls but only a pound, does that count?  The SG came out to 1.090 but I thought that was pretty good considering we didn't know how much sugars the unmalted wheat would give us.  We ran an American decoction (haha coc) that I think did the trick.  Grabbed a handful of malted wheat and threw it into a pot with the full unmalted wheat (~15 lbs) and then boiled the sucker.  We had to add water twice during the process as the grain absorbed the H2O.  Can’t wait to try this one.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2008, 02:34:20 PM »
We are brewing the second attempt at the Simcoe Select IPA. Hopefully this one comes out more like it's supposed to, unlike the Simcoe Select Amber IPA we brewed last time with this recipe. :unsure: We have hops to dry-hop it to. So that should help.
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline d00d

• Double IPA
    • BigFoamyHead
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »
I did not get to brew this weekend.  Had to work.  :hot:  :rant:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
We are brewing the second attempt at the Simcoe Select IPA. Hopefully this one comes out more like it's supposed to, unlike the Simcoe Select Amber IPA we brewed last time with this recipe. :unsure: We have hops to dry-hop it to. So that should help.

You're doing liquid extract right?  I got an awesome clear golden color in my last one with a partial mash and then late extract addition.  We have a little 3 gallon cooler to do up to 6 Lbs of grain then I make up the SG with extract.  Late addition lets you control the color more and get better hop extraction.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2008, 04:26:26 PM »

You're doing liquid extract right?  I got an awesome clear golden color in my last one with a partial mash and then late extract addition.  We have a little 3 gallon cooler to do up to 6 Lbs of grain then I make up the SG with extract.  Late addition lets you control the color more and get better hop extraction.

Yes.

I can live with the color being off or dark. Right now anyway. This was our third-ever batch, so obviously as long as we don't poison ourselves, this should be considered a success. It was the mistake of fermenting at too high of a temp and probably pitching the yeast (I lernt me some brewing talk!!!!!!) with the wort (Brewer talk!) at too high of a temp. This time we'll take far better care to get the temp down as fast as possible below 80 and ferment at or below 60. Those changes alone should get us closer. Then later we can try it with another recipe with a partial mash. I'd like to get us pointed in the right direction with sanitization, the boil, temps and other stuff before we progress to partial mash or anything more. We are doing a dry-hop with this batch, so that's our "old dog, new trick" thingy on this batch.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »
Another mistake we think we made was that we didn't aerate the wort enough before pitching the yeast. We'll get that fixed this time too.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2008, 04:57:36 PM »
Another mistake we think we made was that we didn't aerate the wort enough before pitching the yeast. We'll get that fixed this time too.

I achieve that by filtering out the whole hops with a sanitized sieve after cooling if I used whole hops. I also use my already sanitized, from the boil, big metal brew spoon to stir it up for a few minutes. 

My best cooling method is a couple bags of ice in our big painters sink and stirring the water around in the sink while aerating the wort, but I imagine you could just put your wort covered outside in the snow up in Chicago at this time of year.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »

I achieve that by filtering out the whole hops with a sanitized sieve after cooling if I used whole hops. I also use my already sanitized, from the boil, big metal brew spoon to stir it up for a few minutes. 

My best cooling method is a couple bags of ice in our big painters sink and stirring the water around in the sink while aerating the wort, but I imagine you could just put your wort covered outside in the snow up in Chicago at this time of year.

We now have a wort chiller, from a concerned citizen who wants to see us succeed.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »

We now have a wort chiller, from a concerned citizen who wants to see us succeed.

Very nice.  I'm too poor of a college student to buy a wort chiller.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2008, 09:01:37 PM »

Very nice.  I'm too poor of a college student to buy a wort chiller.

Well, you probably have made more than me in the last two months. Luckily, we had it donated to the cuase, so it was free other than a few dollars of new tubing.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
Looks like I'm brewing a Winter Ale this weekend either tomorrow or Sunday (most likely Sunday).  Gonna dry hop it and hope to have it into bottles by Christmas to give to a couple people.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2009, 11:48:54 PM »
Winter ale here I come.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »
Starting the brew a bit after 9pm might not have been the best bet but I had smacked the pack on Friday afternoon so I gotta use the yeast soon and I have a press release and new product launch tomorrow so I'll be busy.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2009, 01:07:06 AM »
Fucking thing has been sitting at 208 or so for the past 30 minutes and refuses to go any higher.  ARG!  Can't get it to boil.  Gonna give it 15 more minutes and just say fuck it.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2009, 02:06:08 AM »
Now THIS I wanna try.

i had a hickory bacon porter tonight. quite interesting. the guy smoked some malt over hickory with bacon laying on top of the malt. he also cooked some bacon in some maple syrup, let it rest for a couple of weeks, froze it to seperate the fat out, and used that as his primer.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2009, 01:49:30 PM »
Winter ale is bubbling away after just 6 hours in the fermenter.  Hope it goes quick so I can get it bottled for the holidays.

Offline Naproxen

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • Never Odd or Even
    • Say it loud, say it proud!
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2009, 02:03:39 AM »
Me and my homeslices are finally brewing up a peach saison on Sunday morning, after all of us working Saturday night at a beer & wine tasting :-)

For secondary, half if not the whole batch will get some lacto.  This is the first time for me brewing with it, giddy up.
[younger35] 12:25 am: Just on weekends dick
[Squid] 12:25 am: you only have dick on weekends, younger?
[bakes] 12:25 am: Your dick wears a helmet on weekends?

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »
Solaris Cask Old Ale
19.00 Maris Otter
1.48 Flaked Barley
1.38 Crystal 80
0.48 Crystal 60

1.50 Challenger 60
1.50 Williamette 5

Sprinkle of Chalk/Salt

Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley (starter)

Single Infusion 90 min rest at 154~156
90 boil to ~5.50 gallons

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »
Poochie Porter:

11 lbs.    Maris Otter Pale
.5 lbs.    Crystal Malt 120°L
.5 lbs.    American Black Patent
0.3125 lbs.    American Chocolate Malt info
1 oz.    East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz.    East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5 %AA) boiled 30 min.
1 oz.    East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast :    Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04
Mash Schedule
* 153° F for 45 minutes
* 170° F for 10 minutes

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2009, 11:04:54 PM »
Nucular Brewing is brewing a Belgian Dark Strong Ale tomorrow.

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2009, 11:41:10 PM »

I was thinking of doing the same.  Got a recipe?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2009, 12:18:49 AM »

I was thinking of doing the same.  Got a recipe?

I'll have Danny post it once he has it.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »

I was thinking of doing the same.  Got a recipe?

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2009, 03:09:12 PM »
Transfered my winter ale to secondary today.  Tastes great.  Hoping to bottle next week.  Didn't end up dry hopping it.  I'll save those hops for something else.

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:36 AM »

I was thinking of doing the same.  Got a recipe?

I'm thinking something along these lines, but am open to/looking for any critiques.

Batch Size:      5.50 gal      
Boil Size:       7.89 gal
Estimated OG:    1.102 SG
Estimated Color: 42.0 SRM
Estimated IBU:   34.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time:    90 Minutes

Code: [Select]
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
14 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        70.00 %      
2 lbs         Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)                Grain        10.00 %      
1 lbs         Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        5.00 %        
8.0 oz        Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        2.50 %        
8.0 oz        Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)                Grain        2.50 %        
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (90 min) (First Wort Hop)  Hops         14.6 IBU      
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (60 min)                   Hops         12.4 IBU      
1.00 oz       Saaz [5.10 %]  (20 min)                   Hops         7.5 IBU      
1 lbs         Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)             Sugar        5.00 %        
1 lbs         Turbinado (10.0 SRM)                      Sugar        5.00 %        
1 Pkgs        Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)      Yeast-Wheat                

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »
I am a fan of turbinado.  Although with that big of a beer you probably wont see much of a diff.  Looks good.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2009, 11:16:53 AM »
How much color is that candi sugar going to add?  I'd prob skip it in favor of more turbinado - candi sugar is too expensive.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
How much color is that candi sugar going to add?  I'd prob skip it in favor of more turbinado - candi sugar is too expensive.

Candi sugar is about $5 a pound.  That's expensive?

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »

Candi sugar is about $5 a pound.  That's expensive?

I would use all turbinado instead of Belg Dark Candi.  Unless you need it for color, I don't think its worth the price.  Some would disagree but I like turbinado.  It brings out more of a brown sugar note but more complex.

I think that most people would say that Belgian Light Candy sugar is never recommended because of cost.  Use table sugar instead.