search

Author Topic: St. Louis, what do I need to hit?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline beagle

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • DO NOT TALK BAD ABOUT SOCCER! SERIOUS BUSINESS!
St. Louis, what do I need to hit?
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:33:58 AM »
Looking at the list of places (both bars as well as stores) and nothing looks too exciting. Does anyone have any suggestions?
All your brews are belong to me

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: St. Louis, what do I need to hit?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
Anheuser Busch?   :shrug:

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
I just emailed Mark for his recommendations, but I know he's mentioned 33 and the Chocolate Bar as good destinations.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »
I was just in St. Louis the week before the Great Taste but wasn't there all that long.  The Schlafly Bottleworks was ok but the Schlafly Taproom will have a better selection of seasonals, one-off, and experimentatl brews.  I also stopped in a little brewpub called Square One that I thought was pretty cool.  I only had one beer there but I really liked the atmosphere and will give it more attention the next time I'm in St. Louis.
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »
 :thumbup: Thanks, I will look those up.

autumnaldave

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »
I just emailed Mark for his recommendations, but I know he's mentioned 33 and the Chocolate Bar as good destinations.

the chocolate bar has a good bunch of bottle selections, their staff isn't the pairing type... unless it's improved in the last 6 months. http://www.baileyschocolatebar.com/

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=stlouis

buffalo brewery is the new place in town...

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »
I looked at beer mapping, not enough places were ranked, so it seems like a needle. Thanks for the heads up, maybe I will see what Buffalo has on tap.

Offline Kathleen

• Miss Smooth
  • Barleywine
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
From Mark:

Alright, here's what I would consider the top spots for St. Louis:

Schlafly Tap Room & Schlafly Bottleworks

Both are worth a visit, but the two are quite different.  The Tap Room features solid pub grub; on the beer side, they have all their standards, plus several seasonals that are only offered on draft there.  Also, they usually have a cask going, which the Bottleworks doesn't generally offer.  The Bottleworks has all their standard beers, plus whatever current seasonals that are bottled for distribution.  The Bottleworks food is always good, and much more interesting and creative than the Tap Room's, as it puts a lot of focus on local and seasonal food sources.  If you just want to drink a variety of good beer, and maybe get a bite to eat, head to the Tap Room.  If you want a slightly smaller selection of beer, but an interesting and usually memorable meal, the Bottleworks is for you.  The foodie and green thumb in me prefers the Bottleworks.

33 Wine Bar

This place is a must-hit for out-of towners, as it offers the best maintained beer list in town.  It's not the biggest, nor does it want to be.  Their draft selection always features great beers, and is rarely the same week to week.  It's worth noting that Jake, the owner, is one of the nicest guys you'll ever want to meet and his personality and care carry over to his wine and beer selection.  Besides the stuff that's in front in the coolers, all of their beer and wine is stored in two huge cellars that are maintained around 55F.  Nobody treats their inventory better than Jake; everything on the menu is also available for take-out, at prices that generally match anybody around town.  The drink menu thus has two prices: retail and in-house.   Food offerings are minimal, mostly a few cheese and meat selections, and the usual accompaniments (bread and crackers).  This place is unique in that it doubles as both a hang-out destination and a place to get beer to-go.  My advice would be to get a few (or several!) drinks here, then head right next door to...

Bailey's Chocolate Bar

Despite being a trendy place to see and be seen, this place does a damn fine job with their beer and wine selection.  They also have a vintage beer menu, which features several years of La Folie, for example.  They also have arguably the best desserts in town; anything you choose off of the dessert menu is sure to please, and there are A LOT of choices.  Their food choices are a bit more broad than next door at 33, but it's limited to apps, desserts, and a few pizzettas.  No full size entrees, but it doesn't matter.  Their beer list can be had in a pdf file at www.baileyschocolatebar.com.

The Wine & Cheese Place

For beer shopping, head here.  There are a few places with bigger selections, but you run into the standard problems there: beers that have been on the shelves for too long sitting next to fresh product.  This place has a very impressive and ever-growing selection (and it's already damn big) that sees really good turn-over, and I have yet to get anything not in top form there.  Plus, any new beers that we get in the St. Louis market will generally be seen here first.  There are two locations: Forsyth and Rock Hill.  Both are great, but the Forsyth location is the superior choice.

Other places that you might want to visit

Cicero's - they have a pretty good selection, but their tap cleaning regime is quite hit or miss.  They've been inconsistent for years, so I have trouble giving 'em a full thumbs up.  However, if you catch 'em during a good stretch, it's a nice spot.  Plus, it's at the end of The Loop, a long stretch of Delmar Avenue that is a hot spot for dining, entertainment, etc.  Their food ranges from rather good (their pizza) to slightly subpar (some of their pastas).

Square One Brewing - this is a brewpub literally a few hundred yards down the street from 33 and Bailey's Chocolate Bar.  They originally had some problems with consistency with their beer, but I hear they've taken great strides recently.  The food is generally good.  An outdoor patio on the side of the building is a nice spot to kill some time with a few beers and a bite.  Hitting this place, 33, and Bailey's (in that order) is a good way to kill an entire evening.

The Stable - opening a few months ago, this place has a really nice tap selection.  They will eventually be brewing several lagers of their own, and distilling a number of gins, vodkas, etc.  I've only been there once, but was satisfied with the food.  One piece of advice: stay away on weekend nights, as they have live bands playing way too loud and the fairly big room fills with beautiful, trend-chasing folks.  Go during the week, or during the day.

Corral Liquors - across the river in Granite City, this large liquor store is 10 minutes from downtown St. Louis.  It has a huge selection, and being in Illinois, offers several breweries that we don't have access to here.

Randall's Wine and Spirits - a liquor warehouse offering a large selection of anything alcoholic.  It's close to the Tap Room and the Square One-33-Bailey's trio, but I personally prefer to give my hard-earned to Jake at 33.  Overall, a fine place to do some beer shopping.

Places to absolutely avoid

Growlers - this is beer destination spot for folks who don't really know the good spots.  They have around 133 beers on tap, but they do a poor job of turning 'em and cleaning their lines.  Plus, many of their choices are simply dull and interesting.  Quantity is the name of the game here, not quality.

Trailhead Brewing - this is a brewpub with a beautiful building, a wonderful location, and completely pedestrian and boring beers.  Don't waste your time.

Starr's Market - this is an upscale grocery store run by a man who has no place dealing with customers personally.  He has a big selection of beer, but doesn't put any effort whatsoever into maintaining or turning his stock.  A fresh sixer will sit next to another that was brewed three years ago.  There have been countless instances where subpar product was bought here by me and my friends, and his only concern was that I didn't tell anybody.   He couldn't care less about the quality of his stock.  Buyer beware!

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »
Why doesn't he bring that knowledge to this site?

Offline beagle

• Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
And thank him kindly for the info.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
Bizarre Foods St Louis made me reaaaaaaaaaly curious about Little Bosnia. especially Grbic's  :drool:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »
Bizarre Foods St Louis made me reaaaaaaaaaly curious about Little Bosnia. especially Grbic's  :drool:

:blackdot:  Need to remember this for a future trip.

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
Mark's sweet ass. 
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »

:blackdot:  Need to remember this for a future trip.
:blackdot:

Mark's sweet ass.
:lol:

Pappy's for me, drove right by it last time in STL :(

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
You should hit the city museum for a great "Alice in Wonderland" time.
http://www.citymuseum.org
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »

Offline Mark

• Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »
Going down to STL next weekend for the Belgian Beer fest.  Mark> Where's the best places to find Prairie (Funky Gold Mosiac in particular) and/or other possible Shelton goodies that might be sitting around on shelves since we no longer get Shelton beers up here?  Are you getting basic Crooked Stave stuff down there too?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:26:14 PM by thewimperoo »
Dan

Offline Mark

• Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »
Going down to STL next weekend for the Belgian Beer fest.  Mark> Where's the best places to find Prairie (Funky Gold Mosiac in particular) and/or other possible Shelton goodies that might be sitting around on shelves since we no longer get Shelton beers up here?  Are you getting basic Crooked Stave stuff down there too?

I'll be at that festival pouring all kinds of Good Shite™.   :) Hell, the list for the festival is pretty crazy.

Funky Gold Mosaic bottles are all gone at this point, sadly. Bridge will probably have their keg on then, but there's no promise as to how long it'll last. You'll be able to find Ale, Birra, The Beer That Saved Christmas, and probably some Puncheon (which you SHOULD buy if you see; it's amazing right now). As far as other Shelton goodies: TWCP, Luka's Liquor, Friar Tuck, Craft Beer Cellar, and Randall's are your best bets. We just got some Crooked Stave (Surette and Vieille), so those should be around when you're here. We've got an event at iTap Chesterfield the 28th with Crooked Stave and Prairie kegs (including FGM), but I can't imagine you'll be down here that early.

Got any other questions? Shoot me a PM.  :cheers:

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »

I'll be at that festival pouring all kinds of Good Shite™.   :) Hell, the list for the festival is pretty crazy.

Funky Gold Mosaic bottles are all gone at this point, sadly. Bridge will probably have their keg on then, but there's no promise as to how long it'll last. You'll be able to find Ale, Birra, The Beer That Saved Christmas, and probably some Puncheon (which you SHOULD buy if you see; it's amazing right now). As far as other Shelton goodies: TWCP, Luka's Liquor, Friar Tuck, Craft Beer Cellar, and Randall's are your best bets. We just got some Crooked Stave (Surette and Vieille), so those should be around when you're here. We've got an event at iTap Chesterfield the 28th with Crooked Stave and Prairie kegs (including FGM), but I can't imagine you'll be down here that early.

Got any other questions? Shoot me a PM.  :cheers:

Thanks for all of the insight.  Figured Funky Gold Mosiac was a long shot, but hopefully it'll be on tap somewhere over the weekend.  Getting down there around noon on Friday and leaving Sunday morning so won't be around for that iTap event unfortunately.  Definitely planning on hitting up the Bridge at some point while we're there.
Dan

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
Definitely planning on hitting up Mark's sweet ass at some point while we're there.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »

Pappy's Smokehouse

Offline Mark

• Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »
Definitely planning on hitting up Mark's sweet ass at some point while we're there.

:wub:

Offline Mark

• Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »

Pappy's Smokehouse

This. Or Bogart's. Or Sugarfire Smokehouse.

All three are a clear step above anything you'll find in KC. Really. Hey, I'll admit I'm biased, but I've spent the last 8+ months trying all the best KC spots. There's some very good BBQ over there, but STL is clearly better.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »

Pappy's Smokehouse

All three are a clear step above anything you'll find in KC. Really. Hey, I'll admit I'm biased, but I've spent the last 8+ months trying all the best KC spots. There's some very good BBQ over there, but STL is clearly better.
Where can I get burnt ends in STL?

Offline borrowedladder

• Double IPA
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »

Pappy's Smokehouse

When the winperoo is done with Mark.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »

Pappy's Smokehouse

When the winperoo is done with Mark.
ohhh, i get it. :unsure: :backsaway:

Offline Mark

• Quadrupel
  • Calmer than you are.
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 11:03:58 PM »

Pappy's Smokehouse

Bogart's and Pappy's both have 'em. Not sure about Sugarfire.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »

Pappy's Smokehouse

Bogart's and Pappy's both have 'em. Not sure about Sugarfire.
Thanks :thumbup: We should be making a quick lunch stop in STL on the way to KC in the near future.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »
If I had someone I knew in St. Louis I would come down from IL. Its only a 6 hour drive for me. It would be nice to get some free lights for Krys lol

from South Africa?

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 12:26:02 PM »
If I had someone I knew in St. Louis I would come down from IL. Its only a 6 hour drive for me. It would be nice to get some free lights for Krys lol

from South Africa?

https://www.google.com/search?q=r19thet%40yandex.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »

from South Africa?

https://www.google.com/search?q=r19thet%40yandex.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

whoa

nice work

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »
Damn spambots making me hungry for BBQ :hot:

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 03:13:34 PM »
Went down to STL with the family last M-F.  Hit all the usual spots. Kids loved City Museum and going up in the Arch.  We went to a Cardinals game.  Got all of the feels at Saratoga Lanes in Maplewood.  Very old school bowling alley.  Still allows smoking so it smelled like childhood.  No automatic scoring so you had to do it by hand. 

Food highlights were Salt + Smoke for BBQ, Grace Meat + 3 for chicken & ribs, Mac's Local Eats for smash burger, Union Loafers for pizza.  Tons of donuts with Donut Stop and Donut Drive-In leading the charge.  Only real food disappointment was Bailey's Range.  Burgers were hockey pucks and the beer list sucked. 

Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KFkLzauHrcfgmztm7
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:33:08 PM by thewimperoo »
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
Went down to STL with the family last M-F.  Hit all the usual spots. Kids loved City Museum and going up in the Arch.  We went to a Cardinals game.  Got all of the feels at Saratoga Lanes in Maplewood.  Very old school bowling alley.  Still allows smoking so it smelled like childhood.  No automatic scoring so you had to do it by hand. 

Food highlights were Salt + Smoke for BBQ, Grace Meat + 3 for chicken & ribs, Mac's Local Eats for smash burger, Union Loafers for food.  Tons of donuts with Donut Stop and Donut Drive-In leading the charge.  Only real food disappointment was Bailey's Range.  Burgers were hockey pucks and the beer list sucked. 

Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KFkLzauHrcfgmztm7
Wow, nice pics! Looks like it was a great trip.
Dat cheval burger at Narrow Gauge... holy moly :o: I wish i'd ordered that, the provel cheese pizza there was turrible.
Those Grace ribs look amazing too. :o

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »
It was good times.  Lots of excellent food down there. 
Dan

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
I gained ten pounds looking at those pics. Damn, son!!!  :o