search

Author Topic: Kill-The-Cellar Week  (Read 39157 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Kill-The-Cellar Week
« Reply #750 on: April 09, 2020, 02:40:57 PM »
I have thought of selling but it is trading by a different name.
The thing about selling is you could ask for a ridiculous price. And if some fool pays it then they will learn a nice lesson  ;D

To be fair, I have never sold beer and it feels a bit greasy to me. But if I had nearly a dozen old Dark Lords I might be doing some research online.
https://mybeercellar.com/?itm=68977

It used to be the supreme taboo of the beer world, and still is as far as selling traded beer. Nowadays though, most rare releases retail for pretty jacked up prices.

If you have a fair amount of old DL you bought directly, at this point a vintage has more collectible value than drinking it, imho. We traded a few for $30-40 Side Project bottles, so that's a pretty good tradeoff IMO. I'd trade them all for lambic now... Euro traders seem to love DL and "big stouts". However, i'm also retired from trading.

Offline chi_dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #751 on: April 09, 2020, 09:01:48 PM »
I have a 2012 Cable Car that was given to me by a former co-worker that has been collecting dust for the last 7.5 years. It's been pretty tempting to sell, not going to lie.

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #752 on: April 12, 2020, 05:48:19 PM »
New Glarus unplugged quad.  I cant even imagine how old this is.  I think its batch 0197, any way to date it?
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #753 on: April 12, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
New Glarus unplugged quad.  I cant even imagine how old this is.  I think its batch 0197, any way to date it?

One time release in 2007 :cheers:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #754 on: April 12, 2020, 08:12:50 PM »
I have a 2012 Cable Car that was given to me by a former co-worker that has been collecting dust for the last 7.5 years. It's been pretty tempting to sell, not going to lie.
Probably a few hundred?

Online fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #755 on: April 13, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »

I've sold bottles and don't regret it.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Online fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #756 on: April 13, 2020, 02:07:34 PM »
Opened and enjoyed an Expedition from 2008, Bell's 25th Anniversary and 30th Anniversary.

Got fairly shwasted in chat
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #757 on: April 19, 2020, 07:06:07 PM »

One time release in 2007 :cheers:

:cheers:

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #758 on: April 19, 2020, 07:06:51 PM »
2016 BCS about to get taken down. 

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #759 on: April 22, 2020, 02:05:17 PM »
2018 KBS last night  :banned:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #760 on: April 22, 2020, 09:33:29 PM »
How were the BCS and the KBS?

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #761 on: April 23, 2020, 10:28:05 AM »
The KBS was fantastic. It is consistently one of my favorite special treat barrel aged stouts. I usually prefer it fresh for the in your face coffee, but this one was still fantastic. More fudgy.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #762 on: April 28, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
BCS was drinking great.  Right in the window

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #763 on: May 09, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
2017 Bigfoot last night

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #764 on: May 09, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »
2014 Central Waters BBS for me

was a bit thin, but otherwise tasted just fine.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #765 on: June 06, 2020, 09:58:59 PM »
Liefman’s Kriek Brut 2015. Off a store shelf. I forgot how good this beer is. Just the meddling of fruit to sourness. The opposite of what US brewers are doing.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #766 on: June 07, 2020, 08:16:14 PM »
Unibroue Grand Reserve 17.  Brewed 2015.

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #767 on: June 08, 2020, 05:43:49 PM »
Liefman’s Kriek Brut 2015. Off a store shelf. I forgot how good this beer is. Just the meddling of fruit to sourness. The opposite of what US brewers are doing.

I am assuming this is not sweetened?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #768 on: June 08, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »

There’s not much they don’t sweeten unfortunately. Never had this one, just the “Cuvee Brut” which was sweet. ISO

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #769 on: June 08, 2020, 11:50:21 PM »

There’s not much they don’t sweeten unfortunately. Never had this one, just the “Cuvee Brut” which was sweet. ISO
Looks like the Cuvee Brut and this are the same (or very similar) beers. This has cherries, cherry juice, and even artificial flavor. The flavor addition is not something I like. However, sweet is relative. It is not sweet like Lindemans sweet stuff.  Its not sweet like the sour fruit beers that are common nowadays.

More than happy to send a bottle to anyone that wants one.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #770 on: June 09, 2020, 06:23:14 AM »

Looks like the Cuvee Brut and this are the same (or very similar) beers. This has cherries, cherry juice, and even artificial flavor. The flavor addition is not something I like. However, sweet is relative. It is not sweet like Lindemans sweet stuff.  Its not sweet like the sour fruit beers that are common nowadays.

More than happy to send a bottle to anyone that wants one.
Thanks, it should be available locally but I haven’t been out beer hunting in awhile. :cry:

Cuvee Brut was not good, imho. Artificial cherry and sweetener. It’s blended with Goudenband, which has been more tart recently. I don’t think they’re the same beers, vaguely recall seeing them both show up in the market at the same time.

Quote from: my Cuvee-Brut review
Dark reddish brown, slightly pink parfait foam rises to the rim of the glass and recedes slowly. In the light, the color is an attractive dark scarlet with bright clarity. Delicate Belgian lace rings the glass.

Smells like barrel aged cherry kool-aid. Some slight complexity from the barrel, but minimally funky and  maximally artificial. Overly sweet with noticeable artificial sweetener in the taste. Chalky cherry vitamin tablets. Sweet cherry juice spiked with lacto and sweetener... bleh.

Slight tartness, but not sour. Obviously sweetened, even more than Liefmans Kriekbier used to be. Cherry cough syrup, Ludens cough drops. Dry chalky aftertaste with soda carbonation. Drinks like soda, easily and numbingly sweet, just weird and cloying, absolutely one-dimensional. Basically nothing like the old Kriekbier that was blended with Goudenband, then again, Goudenband is nothing like it used to be either (currently backsweetened also). Waste of money...

Here's hoping that Duvel will return to a "more traditional" product with less added sweetener (as they are fully capable of, see Kriekbier) with the Liefmans brands.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #771 on: June 09, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »
The two versions are aliased on Ratebeer.  In its heyday, the Belgian admins were very successful sleuths on RB. They could have been wrong or the difference is minor.

I'll picking up Goudenband next time I get a chance. Haven't had that in years as well.

I missed getting to try the unfiltered and unsweetened version of the Kriek in Belguim. It was available at Hotel Erasmus but the one time I went in 2008 the keg was kicked.  :(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:56:45 PM by beastiefan2k »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #772 on: June 09, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »
The two versions are aliased on Ratebeer.  In its heyday, the Belgian admins were very successful sleuths on RB. They could have been wrong or the difference is minor.

I'll picking up Goudenband next time I get a chance. Haven't had that in years as well.

I missed getting to try the unfiltered and unsweetened version of the Kriek in Belguim. It was available at Hotel Erasmus but the one time I went in 2008 the keg was kicked.  :(

I'd almost written off Goudenband, but had it a year or so ago and it was great again. :thumbup: 2002 375ml was the god-tier vintage imho. Old brown-logo paper bottles from the 80's-90's were sweet. Had one at Kulminator that was pretty meh.

Years ago, (maybe 2005ish?) I remember having the old Kriekenbier before the brewery was sold. That was great, sweet & sour with a lot of funky old wood character.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #773 on: June 20, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »

I'd almost written off Goudenband, but had it a year or so ago and it was great again. :thumbup: 2002 375ml was the god-tier vintage imho. Old brown-logo paper bottles from the 80's-90's were sweet. Had one at Kulminator that was pretty meh.

Years ago, (maybe 2005ish?) I remember having the old Kriekenbier before the brewery was sold. That was great, sweet & sour with a lot of funky old wood character.

Drinking a 2016 I just bought. Too sweet. Maybe the last good one I had was later than 2016...i’ll keep an eye out for more recent vintages. I just wish they’d quit fucking around with it, seems like it’s never the same beer. Doubly ironic that they put “sour ale: gets better with age” on the front label. Also telling is the “ingredients list”: “beer. contains barley malt.” okay :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 06:44:43 PM by emerge »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #774 on: June 20, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
damn shame to read. I almost pulled the trigger but was waiting on you (I saw you bought it in the other thread).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #775 on: June 21, 2020, 12:43:30 AM »
damn shame to read. I almost pulled the trigger but was waiting on you (I saw you bought it in the other thread).
Yeah, really can’t trust it anymore. Had the 2016 a couple years ago, but it didn’t age well. Still sweet, which is strange if not pasteurized.

Online fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #776 on: June 22, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »
Drank a 2009 Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire last night.  I have to think it was cellared properly, and it smelled amazing.

The taste wasn't -bad-, but it was definitely off.  Probably about five years past its prime, but still drinkable.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #777 on: June 22, 2020, 05:04:10 PM »
Drank a 2009 Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire last night.  I have to think it was cellared properly, and it smelled amazing.

The taste wasn't -bad-, but it was definitely off.  Probably about five years past its prime, but still drinkable.

That was one of my least fav JP's, always seemed kinda thin.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #778 on: July 06, 2020, 11:44:03 PM »
Uinta Brett Tripel bottled on 06/08/17. Bought off shelf. Lovely strong Brett. No sign of oxidation. Big ass head but not a gusher. Still some lactose-like sweetness. Highly recommended for Brett fans.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #779 on: July 15, 2020, 09:51:45 PM »
Pannepot 2014 on a rainy night, pretending i’m at Kulminator again. :banned:

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #780 on: July 17, 2020, 11:40:04 PM »
2016 Bigfoot.

I think I like my Bigfoot fresh.  Maybe its in the ugly duckling stage right now but its just a sweet, bitter mess at the moment.  Overall I’ll say that American barleywines should be drank fresh(ish) and English you age.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #781 on: July 18, 2020, 12:40:47 AM »
2016 Bigfoot.

I think I like my Bigfoot fresh.  Maybe its in the ugly duckling stage right now but its just a sweet, bitter mess at the moment.  Overall I’ll say that American barleywines should be drank fresh(ish) and English you age.
I’ve always been in the minority as someone that doesn’t like it fresh or aged. I often find it to be a sweet and bitter mess. Oxidation kicks in fast, IMO.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #782 on: July 18, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »
2016 Bigfoot.

I’ve always been in the minority as someone that doesn’t like it fresh or aged. I often find it to be a sweet and bitter mess. Oxidation kicks in fast, IMO.
My opinion is the same on Bigfoot, the only good ones i’ve had are fresh and 10-15+ years old. Not really a fan anywhere in between. I’ve had exceptional aged American barleywines, New Glarus and East End Gratitude for example. King Henry, Mother of All Storms, etc.

Since I don’t like the heavy oxidation of most old barleywines & stouts, I don’t really age them anymore.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #783 on: July 18, 2020, 09:44:30 PM »
went looking through my pile of beer trying to decide which i would be OK drinking as i want to maintain doubles.

cracked and picked a 2017 Expedition. got doubles of many past years, but only 1 of these left now. couldn't bring myself to pop any of the others.

Online fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #784 on: July 20, 2020, 01:39:50 PM »
went looking through my pile of beer trying to decide which i would be OK drinking as i want to maintain doubles.

cracked and picked a 2017 Expedition. got doubles of many past years, but only 1 of these left now. couldn't bring myself to pop any of the others.

How was it?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #785 on: July 20, 2020, 01:45:48 PM »

How was it?

very, very good.  no noticeable difference for me from a fresh bottle.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #786 on: July 20, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »

How was it?

very, very good.  no noticeable difference for me from a fresh bottle.

Note to self, buy more Expedition :banned:
Just about the only aged stout I do like...

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #787 on: August 04, 2020, 10:55:32 AM »
Recently opened up a 1999 JW Lees Harvest Ale that I bought from West Lakeview Liquors 7-8 years ago probably.  Excellent carbonation. Combination of prune juice, raisins, sherry and cardboard in the taste. Surprisingly the least amount of yeast I've ever seen in the bottom of a bottle of JW Lees.  Fun experience

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M7Dir6N8FHHg3dqx9
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #788 on: August 04, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »
Nice, was it enjoyable? :cheers:
I've had some old ones that were good and bad, unique though.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #789 on: August 04, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »

Yeah, it was good.  I had no problem drinking the whole bottle by myself.
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #790 on: August 04, 2020, 11:32:56 AM »

Yeah, it was good.  I had no problem drinking the whole bottle by myself.
Nice! :cheers:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #791 on: August 04, 2020, 12:05:36 PM »
What’s that glass?

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #792 on: August 04, 2020, 12:05:54 PM »
I have some old JW Lees as well.  Maybe I'll get into one this weekend

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #793 on: August 04, 2020, 01:28:06 PM »
What year? I'm sitting on a '94 that I can't bring myself to open yet.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #794 on: August 04, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »
What’s that glass?

Mikkeller Teku with a Middle Finger logo
Dan

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #795 on: August 04, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »

2004.  Saw some 1996 Samichlaus which I should try as well.

2003 120 Minutes which might have lots its hop bite by now  :unsure:

And then there is the Triple Bock

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #796 on: August 04, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »

2004.  Saw some 1996 Samichlaus which I should try as well.

2003 120 Minutes which might have lots its hop bite by now  :unsure:

And then there is the Triple Bock
I’d kill for that Sami. And I would love try that triple buck. I bet it’s much better now than fresh.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #797 on: August 04, 2020, 10:04:39 PM »
The last Triple Bock I remember, maybe 10 years ago, we stirred up the sediment with a dowel rod and it was like black tar hash. It tasted great though, and was a vast improvement from simply decanting it.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #798 on: August 05, 2020, 08:49:22 AM »
The last Triple Bock I remember, maybe 10 years ago, we stirred up the sediment with a dowel rod and it was like black tar hash. It tasted great though, and was a vast improvement from simply decanting it.
I had the '97 vintage in 2008 and it was ok but I wouldn't have called it great. I wish I stocked up though. I doubt its overly oxidized at this point.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #799 on: August 05, 2020, 09:30:24 AM »
I had the '97 vintage in 2008 and it was ok but I wouldn't have called it great. I wish I stocked up though. I doubt its overly oxidized at this point.

The beer wasn't great, only the sediment was. It may or may not have been hash. :unsure: