Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will be shutting down at the end of 2022. Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Out of Style Styles  (Read 1687 times)

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
Out of Style Styles
« on: July 29, 2022, 11:41:51 AM »
The O'fest thread got me thinking.  What were once common styles of beer (craft, in the US) that are rarely (if ever) seen nowadays?

The first that comes to my mind is Imperial Red or more broadly American Strong Ale. At one point, every brewery would make their version of an Imperial Red Ale or Imperial Amber.  Nowadays, I rarely see breweries making big generic beers.

I am sure there are a lot more.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Out of Style Styles
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 12:13:38 PM »
Amber Ale, Black IPA, Witbier, Imperial Pilsner, Steam Beer, Cream Ale, White Stout, Coffee APA/IPA, Braggot, Brut IPA, Wheat Ales, English IPA

Surely there's more. Your post reminded me of a brewery in Kenosha that had 3 different "imperial red IPA's" on the menu, it seemed like an outdated niche even a few years ago.

I used to love Weizenbocks, can't say i've seen one of them lately, esp. from a US brewery.

Edit: Wheatwine, Ryewine, Rye IPA, Rye anything
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 12:18:38 PM by emerge »

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 12:26:08 PM »
Cream Ale is pretty prolific around here.  Sun King's Sunlight is a standard offering at bars, restaurants, and sporting events.

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 01:25:54 PM »
Petition to rename this thread "Old Style"
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 01:26:45 PM »
Nut Brown ales, plain porters
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 05:35:50 PM »
Amber Ale, Black IPA, Witbier, Imperial Pilsner, Steam Beer, Cream Ale, White Stout, Coffee APA/IPA, Braggot, Brut IPA, Wheat Ales, English IPA
Amber and Wits seem, to me, to still be relatively common. Many breweries still package both (especially wits in the summer). Though, Amber used to be a standard style at every brewpub and is no longer as ubiquitous.

It is true that English IPAs are non-existent but all the IPAs are still IPAs in my mind. Meaning, that they just make the most popular IPA for the moment.

To me, it seems Cream Ale has made a resurgence in the past 5 years.  When I got into the hobby, I had to drink Little Kings Beer to finally drink that style. Nowadays, it seems like a fad style lots of breweries are making.

White Stout is an abomination that came around 5 years ago or so and somehow hasn't died off.

Generic Wheat Ales seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

Was Braggot ever popular enough?  I may have only come across a handful of actual braggots from breweries in the past 20 years.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 09:35:52 PM »
Just freeballin’ here. :D

I’d love to hear Borrowedladder’s contentious take :popcorn:

I don’t think any of the above styles are “in style” whether they continue to be made or not. Before hazies, *everyone* made a witbier, saison, amber, etc.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 09:52:15 PM »
I guess a lot of it is the time period we are thinking of. I remember when US Saisons were almost non-existent.  Southampton was basically the only one until the West Coast brewers started making them. Now, good luck finding an actual US Saison (as opposed to a Belgian Ale) that is not sour or full of adjuncts.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 10:12:20 PM »
I guess a lot of it is the time period we are thinking of. I remember when US Saisons were almost non-existent.  Southampton was basically the only one until the West Coast brewers started making them. Now, good luck finding an actual US Saison (as opposed to a Belgian Ale) that is not sour or full of adjuncts.

I’m thinking 10-12 years ago I guess. They were definitely nonexistent in the early 2000’s.

Sly Fox, Plan Bee, a lot of good east coast examples in the old Saison Sunday posts. Lum>hey

I can remember assloads of mediocre American saisons. For breweries that weren’t committed to the style and it’s nuance, they likely moved on to hazies when that became the next trend.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 06:08:55 PM »
At Big Time in Seattle. Old school brewpub that doesn’t have to change. Has both a Porter and Amber on draft. The Porter is great.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 11:48:40 PM »
Belgian IPA? Doesn’t seem to be a thing in the US anymore.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 04:50:56 PM »
Yup. Haven’t seen that in a while. Frankly glad it went away.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 07:42:33 PM »
I think those are hoppy saisons now.

Offline Beer Monkey

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 02:22:52 PM »
The O'fest thread got me thinking.  What were once common styles of beer (craft, in the US) that are rarely (if ever) seen nowadays?

The first that comes to my mind is Imperial Red or more broadly American Strong Ale. At one point, every brewery would make their version of an Imperial Red Ale or Imperial Amber.  Nowadays, I rarely see breweries making big generic beers.

My local still goes "old school" once a year. https://virginiabeerco.com/beer/rob-your-head/
Beer. It always seems like such a good idea at the time. What's worse is beer seems like an even better idea after you've had some beer.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 05:29:09 PM »

My local still goes "old school" once a year. https://virginiabeerco.com/beer/rob-your-head/
Nice. That does make me feel old.

Offline Westside Threat

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 07:06:03 PM »

+1.  That and Belgian stout.
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline Westside Threat

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 07:18:45 PM »
I haven’t seen an amber or red on tap in ages and not sure I could find a bottle unless I went to the grocery store and got Fat Tire.  Nothing against the style and did like imperial versions. 

I would love love love to be able to drink an OG recipe of Redhook, Red Tail, Red Nectar, Jamaica Brand, Boont …

Can’t say I’ve seen a non adjunct porter in forever.  Or non lactose cream stout.  Must say I’m glad the Pyramid style American wheats have disappeared. Pleased that I still find American Barleywines without gimmicks
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2022, 08:23:43 PM »

I’ve always thought of this a relatively niche style. Even actual Belgian versions, like a handful or two ever made it over here on a regular basis.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2022, 11:42:59 AM »

I’ve always thought of this a relatively niche style. Even actual Belgian versions, like a handful or two ever made it over here on a regular basis.

Struise, Hercule, Troubadour Obscura (ha) were the main ones. Buffalo stout or whatever was a BSDA. A year or two ago there was a funny exchange on BA by dim americans claiming the style didn’t exist, lol.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 12:38:26 PM »
Struise, Hercule, Troubadour Obscura (ha) were the main ones. Buffalo stout or whatever was a BSDA. A year or two ago there was a funny exchange on BA by dim americans claiming the style didn’t exist, lol.
Interesting, Troubadour Obscura is considered a stout on BA but not RB or UT. It seems to be a BSA/Stout hybrid. My rating from 2006 is not kind and I found it to be more of a Belgian Scotch Ale rather than a stout. Though, Troubadour does make an Impy Stout (not sure if I have ever seen it stateside).

For strong versions, there are a few more:
De Dolle export stout
Alvinne
Van Den Bossche (I have never tried this one but seen old bottles on shelves)
t Smisje (oh, I miss Catherine the Great)
Gulden Draak makes one nowadays

For non-imperial versions:
Dupont Monk's Stout
De la Senne Stouterik

And that's like it.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 06:42:49 PM »
I'm glad that a local brewery (Wayward Lane) likes pulling some of these styles out of their hat.  They currently have a great saison, dark mild, and a quite quaffable English pale ale on tap along with more currently poular styles  The brewer really likes changing things up.

When I want old school brews (porter, amber, black IPA, wee heavy) done right, I run over to Wolf Hollow. All are solid AF and taste like what they are supposed to taste like.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....